« Leave Michelle Obama Alone!!!! | Main | Well Now That's A Completely Different Cracker, "Cracker"... »

July 18, 2008

Is Obama the New John Kerry?

The Blog Princess awoke from her slumbers this morning with a most distressing thought rattling around the inside of her brain housing group. Is Obama the next incarnation of the French-speaking junior Senator from Massachusetts who, in 2004, came within a hair's breadth of razing 1600 Pennsylvania Avenue in a fashion reminiscent of Ton-Loc?

The parallels are beginning to rack up and they're getting far too numerous to ignore:

ON THE WAR:

Kerry: "I have a plan for Iraq"

Obama: "I have a plan for Iraq"

ON EXECUTIVE POWER:

Kerry: solidly foregainst it ... unless he's in charge, of course:

I voted to hold Saddam Hussein accountable, because had I been president, I would have wanted that authority, because that was the way to enforce the U.N. resolutions and be tough with the prospect of his development of weapons of mass destruction. … Now, might we have wound up going to war with Saddam Hussein? You bet we might have—after we exhausted those remedies and found that he wasn't complying, and so on and so forth. But not in a way that provides, you know, 90 percent of the casualties are American, and almost all of the cost.

This is the kind of endless, backside-covering nuance that earned Kerry two months of "Kerryisms" in Slate. But it doesn't change his position: United Nations, WMD, compliance, process. And it includes a very important phrase: "[B]ecause had I been president, I would have wanted that authority."

Only when you remember that phrase does the meaning of Kerry's statement on Monday become clear. When Kerry says he would have voted for war authority because "it was the right authority for a president to have," the president he's thinking of—"a president," as he puts it—isn't Bush. It's himself.

Barack Obama: solidly foregainst it ... unless he's in charge, of course:

Just two weeks after getting into a brouhaha with Huffington Post editor Rachel Sklar, MSNBC's Keith Olbermann has found himself in a tussle with one of the chairmen of the Netroots, Salon's Glenn Greenwald.

At the heart of this dogfight between two shameless liberal pols was Barack Obama's recent flip-flop on the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act, and how Olbermann altered his own views on this subject in order to shelter the Democrat presidential nominee from criticism.

...What's much more notable is Olbermann's full-scale reversal on how he talks about these measures now that Obama -- rather than George Bush -- supports them. On an almost nightly basis, Olbermann mocks Congressional Democrats as being weak and complicit for failing to stand up to Bush lawbreaking; now that Obama does it, it's proof that Obama won't "cower." Grave warning on Olbermann's show that telecom amnesty and FISA revisions were hallmarks of Bush Fascism instantaneously transformed into a celebration that Obama, by supporting the same things, was leading a courageous, centrist crusade in defense of our Constitution.

ON THE LITTLE WOMAN:

Kerry: cheeky, sexy wife on the campaign trail stirs up controversy

Obama: cheeky, sexy wife on the campaign trail stirs up controversy

obamakerry080414mn.jpg

ON LE NUANCE:

John Kerry: the Boston Fog Machine:

Kerry established himself early as the senator most likely to pierce through the superficial clarity and embrace the miasma. The gulf war had just ended. It was time to look back for lessons learned. ''There are those trying to say somehow that Democrats should be admitting they were wrong'' in opposing the gulf war resolution, Kerry noted in one Senate floor speech. But he added, ''There is not a right or wrong here. There was a correctness in the president's judgment about timing. But that does not mean there was an incorrectness in the judgment other people made about timing.''

For you see, Kerry continued, ''Again and again and again in the debate, it was made clear that the vote of the U.S. Senate and the House on the authorization of immediate use of force on Jan. 12 was not a vote as to whether or not force should be used.''

In laying out the Kerry Doctrine -- that in voting on a use-of-force resolution that is not a use-of-force resolution, the opposite of the correct answer is also the correct answer -- Kerry was venturing off into the realm of Post-Cartesian Multivariate Co-Directionality that would mark so many of his major foreign policy statements.

Obama: the Human Cipher:

"So I think he definitely has convinced people that he stands for change and for hope, and I can't wait to see what he stands for." - Sue Sarandon
"We are the change that we seek"

- Barack Obama

ON WINGS OF HOPE:

Kerry: Hope is on the way

Obama: Audaciously Hoping to be Elected

ON THE UNBEARABLE INCONVENIENCE OF TRUTHS:

Kerry: I never said that

Obama: I never said that

ON THE LANGUAGE OF DIPLOMACY:

Kerry: widely mocked for speaking French:

House majority leader Tom DeLay, Republican of Texas, is reported to have started a meeting by saying, "Good morning, or as John Kerry would say, `Bonjour.' "

Obama: widely mocked for wanting other people to speak French:

You know, it's embarrassing when Europeans come over here, they all speak English, they speak French, they speak German. And then we go over to Europe, and all we can say [is], "Merci beaucoup."

Plus ca change, plus c'est la meme chose.

Posted by Cassandra at July 18, 2008 08:10 AM

Comments

Yes, but how many paper cuts did *Obama* get in Vietnam? Huh? Huh?

So there.

Posted by: BillT at July 18, 2008 10:12 AM

One thing is for certain with both Kerry and Obama, and that is that not one thing is ever for certain with either of them.

Posted by: Mr. Oink at July 18, 2008 11:01 AM

Other than, as the princess points out, both seem to be surrounded by swamp gas...

Have Gas, Will Travel reads the card of a Democrat Presidential candidate.

Posted by: bthun at July 18, 2008 11:09 AM

Silence! I am as constant and reliable as the Northern star!

Just pick a position and I have taken it.

Posted by: Jean Fraude-Kerry, the Human Weathervane at July 18, 2008 11:33 AM

"Just pick a position and I have taken it."
Oh yeah! *hic* Not since 2004 you haven't...

Posted by: Teresa Hiccups Kerry at July 18, 2008 11:47 AM

The sky is falling!

Posted by: Algore at July 18, 2008 03:32 PM

No, he is not Kerry.
He is the third term of Ford/Carter.
He will Whip Inflation Now.
He will bring us 18% mortgage rates, 8% unemployment, alternate-day gas, rationing, and 15% inflation.
Obamessiah is ignorant of any economic, international, military, agricultural, educational, or any other problem afflicting our nation. He has only one thing: HOPE. :-) His HOPE is that no one will determine that he has no clothes until too late.

Posted by: Tom Johnson at July 18, 2008 06:32 PM

Oh my! Was my microphone on?

Posted by: Teresa Hiccups Kerry at July 18, 2008 06:48 PM

There is one key difference between Obama and Kerry. Obama is likable. If you had to chat with him at a cocktail party it would be pleasant, perhaps, even if your politics differed you would enjoy his company.

Kerry on the otter heiny, if he cornered you at a coctail party you might call 911 on your cell phone to get away from him.

That alone might get him elected.

Posted by: Pile On at July 18, 2008 09:56 PM

One thing is certain about Kerry and Obama; they are both narcissists and even malignant narcissists to boot.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 19, 2008 01:58 PM

Teresa inherited her wealth from her husband, a conservative business man if I recall correctly, that founded Heinz ketchup.

Michelle Obama obtained her money through America's opportunities and her husband's political connections.

Slightly different, but the guilt and the sense of noblesse oblige is the same for both.

The equation that says the more wealth a civilization has, the more decadent, misguided, stupid, evil, and weak it becomes, is pretty hard coded in the universe.

But the major contributing factor to that equation is whether the nation or individuals have truly earned their wealth through virtue, hard work, and dedication. Or whether it was earned on the backs of slaves and soldiers who sacrificed their lives so that future generations, like Teresa and Michelle, could live in the lap of luxury and scorn all that had ever allowed them to do so.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 19, 2008 02:01 PM

Pile writes

Isn't that the standard y'all used to elect George Bush? You know, the candidate you most wanted to have a beer with?

Heckuva, barometer that turned out to be. Another, O'Douls, mate?

Posted by: Taz at July 19, 2008 02:17 PM

No, the standard that we used to elect George Bush was that he would read us a bedtime story.

After that, he would need a beer.

Posted by: Cricket at July 19, 2008 02:28 PM

No Taz, that is not the barometer me and the rest of the vast right wing conspiracy used to elect Bush. In fact a barometer measures atmospheric pressure, we used votes.

And yes Bush is more likable than the fool Gore or the charisma challenged Kerry. But that is not the reason the VRC elected him. We happened to agree with him on more issues. Not all, but more.

And honestly, in hindsight, we got that one right. Thank God Bush was elected. Twice.

Are you taking issue with my premise that there is a segment of the voting public that does not follow issues closely that will vote for the candidate that is more likable or were you just looking to take a shot at Bush?

Posted by: Pile On at July 19, 2008 06:41 PM

That'll teach you to be lulled to sleep by the fairy tales.

Posted by: Dsai at July 19, 2008 06:49 PM

That'll teach you to be lulled to sleep by fairy tales.

Posted by: Dsai at July 19, 2008 06:50 PM

Yeah, that'll show me...ooh I have been so told off! I don't believe fairy tales. Maybe you do, and that is why Obama and the Democratic Party appeals to you?

Posted by: Cricket at July 19, 2008 08:38 PM

Obama appeals to many people because he is the Rudolf of our times. He is the strong man, the indispensable man, the man of vision and promise and change and hope that will force the system, the corrupt plutocrats, and the idiots to do things right.

He will make the trains run on time, he will solve Global Warming, he will create ever lasting energy at bottom bucket consumer prices. He is the one, and the only, man for our times.

And that is why the Left supports him, for the alternative of taking personal responsibility, of recognizing that it was they, the members of the Democrat party and the wet work specialists of the Left that have made America and the world as horrible as it is today, is too terrible for them to behold.

It is a terrible knowledge for any human being to know that the disasters, starvations, and mass slaughters of this world that they are now fighting were originally partially caused by them, their ancestors, or their idealogical progenitors. Who would ever want such a burden on their shoulders, the knowledge that their family for generations on end have oppressed, enslaved, exploited, and sabotaged the hopes and dreams of billions?

Who would indeed. Do you ever wonder why Americans, many Americans in fact, are ashamed of their own history? Have you ever wondered why so many Americans are unable to see the actual benefits to humanity in Colonialism or Western civilization? In the American expansion across the American heart lands?

Few people are strong enough to look such things in the eye for what they truly are. It is far easier and more convenient to simply believe what you are told. And to do as you are told.

Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this - they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people... better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.

Captain Mal Reynolds (Nathan Fillion) Serenity

Freedom and liberty does not guarantee that good things will happen. It guarantees that people will be given a chance. Totalitarian systems of perfection, utopia, PC mind control, however, do not guarantee anything except that their order will be the order of the world, until they are brought down in fire and devastation.

And when you are a believer, a true believer, in a better world, you only have two choices here in the States. You can believe that the crimes against humanity that our fore fathers and our Founding Fathers committed requires a correction in the here and now, using the despoiled, rotten, and dark powers, institutions, and wealth that blossomed from such a corrupt beginning as ours... Or, you could recognize the meta-golden truth that you would not be here if not for your ancestors, that America would not be as she currently is without the actions of the Founding Fathers, both good and bad, and you can choose to accept that fact.

How can anyone change the world for the better when they defile, disgrace, and pollute the very memory of those that brought them to where they are? They believe their ancestors committed such evil. And yet what if they did not? What if their ancestors were only trying to build a better world, a world that their descendents are unhappy with and wish to change for the better.

If you will not learn from the mistakes of those that have gone before, while decrying the loudest about those mistakes and crimes, then what is to prevent you from becoming what you claim you are fighting against?

What is to prevent Jesse Jackson from becoming a slave owner when he rejects the teachings of Martin Luther King, Harriet Tubman, and the blacks that volunteered to fight in the "white man's army" against the South?

What will become of all of us when we distort the past simply to fit our own convenience and preconceptions, all in the name of a better world.

That'll teach you to be lulled to sleep by fairy tales.

If all humanity ever had to worry about was being lulled to sleep by fairy tales, we would not need crucifixions, executions, bombs, wars, botulism (bo-tox), lies, deceptions, manipulations, propaganda, philosophy, art, love, or history or music or you.

In the end, we are all humans and all flawed in one fashion or another. To place your trust in a Supreme Leader, to place your hope of a better world in a party or an ideology or a religion, rather than in yourself, is simply a fast way to create hell on Earth, simply in order to remind us that what humans can shape with our hands we can also destroy just as easily: if not easier.

It is the tragedy of our species that as much as we build and attempt to preserve what we have in family or goods or status, in the end there will always be destroyers that believe things would be better if only these things could be destroyed and replaced with something better. Something newer, something more durable or scientifically or racially advanced. But none of that will ever pave over the gaping voids in human nature. Nor will it absolve the Left of the blood on their hands if they continue on this road to domination and entropy.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 19, 2008 09:38 PM

Did someone call a meeting of the VRC?

My, my, this is turning out to be a busy evening.

I'm between a Bilderberg con-call discussing the topic of Shadow Government's Can Be Your Ally and having to drop off a check from BIG OIL at the Masonic lodge. Then I must attend the quarterly, midnight, ritual sacrifice of a progressive virgin... Oh wait, couldn't find one, make that a goat, at the local chapter of the Illuminati and Fraternal Order of Brothers of the Oppressors of the Downtrodden to stave off those pesky conspiracy investigators and channelers of the ancient Zen mystics.

So if this is going to take a while, I give my authorization to vote, as my proxy, to Mr. On. Or in his absence, to the Blog Princess

Now, what's up?

Posted by: J. Edgar Hubris at July 19, 2008 11:07 PM

That did seem a bit ambitious. Plus, it's bad business to go into competition with dragons.

Posted by: Grim at July 19, 2008 11:51 PM

Now, how'd I know you were a BB fan?

Posted by: BillT at July 20, 2008 02:43 AM

Ymarkasr,
I enjoy reading what you have to say, even though it moves me from my comfort zone. In a good way.
Your posts have always challenged me and made me think and go beyond the shortcut in my thinking.
If there is anything this blog has done for me, to include Cassandra's comments, it has been to open my mind and my eyes.

Thank you for a thought-provoking post.

BillT, you're next.

*rummages around for thong*

Posted by: Cricket at July 20, 2008 12:55 PM

Cricket,

to steal a note from Grim,

You're certainly welcome, ma'am. :)

P.S., I wasn't even around when Khe San occurred ; )

Btw, for anyone wishing for a small backstory on how I constructed my cognomen, you just have to know that I wanted to figure out a way to combine Yamamoto and Sake together.

If you guys google Ymar and Sakar, the two parts of what I eventually created, you might get a good laugh. You might also find it rather hard to believe afterwards that I decided on those two forms of my name without any outside inspiration.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 20, 2008 01:45 PM

Oh. P.S.S. I don't want to fall into the habit of plagiarism nor would I wish to deprive people of Shrinkwrapped's insight.

Here is the original link which provided me Mal's quote.

Link

Shrink's a psychoanalyst like Dr. Sanity, which is comparable to Neo-neocon except she is/was a family therapist.

If you know my interests in some specific endeavors of warfare or media sensations, you would know the primary reason why I read so many blogs of psychologists.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 20, 2008 01:51 PM

I may not like all Republicans or conservatives on a personal level, but the reason why I prefer to associate more with them and more with those older than me, is purely because I find their sense of humour at themselves to be superior.

Juvenile antics got old for me a long time ago.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 20, 2008 02:03 PM

Ymarkasar,
It is because we older people usually don't get wrapped around the axle....unlike Algore who is quite blatant in his hypocrisy about the environment and jacking up taxes for everyone who dares to drive. As a conservative Republican of the Goldwater stripe, I tend to be more on the isolationist consitutional libertarian side of the house, which means many times there is no room for that sort of thinking!

I appreciate what you bring to your comments because you are honest, as is Grim and the others who get into dissecting or constructing an argument here.

I just don't do it as well. My brain takes shortcuts because it short-circuited a long time ago...

Posted by: Cricket at July 20, 2008 02:42 PM

Ummmm, Cricket? Just out of idle curiosity, exactly *where* are you rummaging?

Posted by: BillT at July 20, 2008 03:56 PM

Well, I didn't find a thong. I found a large rubber band. Same diff, right?

Ummm...why do you ask *where* I was rummaging?
Do you have a thekrit thong thtathh on the 'net that we don't know about? Should I get pi(th)thy?

The eldest CLU found my spouting stuff so I must go and do Mother Earth Gaia things like grind grain, start sprouts and bake bread.

Posted by: Cricket at July 20, 2008 04:03 PM

My honesty is easy for me to do once I've dived into the mind of those sitting across from me.

It is an ability all warriors, diplomats, strategists, and communicators or politicians need. But not all of them have it, and to a certain extent many don't want it for it would disrupt their comfortable self-delusions.

But to most people, understanding others to the point that you know what they are thinking or predict what they will do next, is simply unneeded.

That is what laws help accomplish. That is what shrinks are for. That is what societal standards are for. TO allow people to function well together without truly making people understand each other.

So I don't think it is that your brain is short circuited, rather I think it is because you don't prefer to dive into the fake liberal mind of sludge. And for those that can't think like a fake liberal, then arguing with them is a bit asymmetrical in various ways.

I'm around a lot of young Democrats sometimes, even if they wouldn't call themselves such. And even though I don't make vociferous arguments against what they are saying verbally (for I prefer stealth, caution, waiting, and ambush), it is still amazing the kinds of things you hear from these people.

Every individual is different, but how they think is rather similar. The various different political positions they take may differ from one subject to another, from one person or another, but how they think is the same way. Because for some odd reason, even though it looks completely inconsistent or contradictory to us, to them their beliefs are perfectly consistent, whole, and perfect.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 20, 2008 04:13 PM

Ummm...why do you ask *where* I was rummaging?

Because I wanted to make sure that I could make a dash for the bunker without being 'lectronically snapped back to the laptop like a character in a '50s Warner Brothers cartoon...

Posted by: BillT at July 20, 2008 04:20 PM

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 20, 2008 04:28 PM

Makes sense. Bill, don't worry about being snapped back into a warped version of Throng.
Play on Tron and thong. I just wanted to see if your reflexes were still good.

Heh.

Well, there are times when I think I should at least 'listen' to the other side. When I did the quote marks, that means for me, anyway, to look them in the eye and ask questions if I don't understand something.

About 20 or so years ago I had a friend who was a Democrat. Her life was in the toilet and she expected people to bail her out of her own bad choices! She truly expected others to do her bidding and when they exercised the Right To Choose by giving her a helping hand instead of a handout, she was upset and no one was compassionate, etc.

For a while there, we ended up not speaking to each other. I truly think that she needed help, but the victim/entitlement mentality has to be purged before she could have made real progress.

Posted by: Cricket at July 20, 2008 05:45 PM

When Al Gore grabbed his wife and just smothered her in a kiss on stage... I could not help thinking that "this was one man so high on power and adulation that it has turned into a sexual need".Ymarkasar

Yes, I think Tipper wasn't worshipping at the Shrine of Al.

Oh...must go...where is Sly or Carrie to snark a line when you need them?

Posted by: Cricket at July 20, 2008 05:49 PM

That felt like someone who was so doubtful of their own potency that they prefered to rely on other people's strength for help, rather than her own. Then she saw how others kept encouraging her to seek inside for strength, as a sign that nobody cared for her enough to give her their own strength.

There are some people who lack or think they lack the power to dig themselves out of a hole they put themselves into.

Then again, there are also some people who purposefully go out of their way to meet and overcome challenges.

Those are the natural explorers, entrepreneurs, leaders, and voyagers of our day.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 20, 2008 06:11 PM

That usually only works if they think you are 1. ignorant and not in the Republican evil league yet, 2. with them, but just asking some questions because of curiosity or wondering about things, or 3. someone who agrees totally with them.

If your questions are seen as challenges or political logic, then their defenses go up and after that, might as well bash your head into bricks.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 20, 2008 06:14 PM

Yep. That is why I have cultivated the green-eyed stare. I will admit, it is a bit of a Jedi mind trick, but that is the only way to see where they are coming from.

This last class of mine was a doozy. From the first assignment to the last, I was scared for my sanity. My next class is ethics and social responsibility. Give me strength and so help me. It had me so stressed out I asked my academic advisor for two weeks off. No wonder Cassandra takes a hiatus from blogging. I am going to be sneaky and ask to CLEP and credit for 'Real Life' experiences. Maybe that way I don't have to do the undergrad crap.

*shudders*

My paper was on nutrition. It is a subject I have been interested in for years. I am not a gourmet, but we do a LOT of scratch cooking around here, along with sprouting and some raw food prep. No, I haven't quite worked up to kibbeh or carpaccio, but..well, give me a decent enough recipe and I might be brave.

Anyway, the basis for it was Dr. Weston Price's research on the nutrition of primitive people and why they didn't have cavities or degenerative diseases, mental illness, and autism.

Fascinating stuff and if you want to know more, google Price-Pottenger foundation.

Posted by: Cricket at July 20, 2008 07:01 PM

Isn't that the exact same thing, an ethics class, that Cass wrote about in Zoriah and Golden Rule?

My paper was on nutrition.

Then perhaps it will be easy for you to do your ethical papers or speeches on how nutrition requires ethics by so and so standards.

Assuming nobody else has in depth knowledge of nutrition, they would find it hard to challenge you on the specifics nor involve you in "what if" scenarios easily.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 20, 2008 07:20 PM

That is what scares me: The doom and gloom and the borrowing of trouble. Any subject can be
politicized and global warming is a prime example.

*whimpers loudly and gets a cookie.*

Posted by: Cricket at July 20, 2008 08:12 PM

Now, how'd I know you were a BB fan?

You know where I learned about them? Iraq.

Posted by: Grim at July 20, 2008 10:34 PM

Be darned. I found 'em when I was in Boz.

Posted by: BillT at July 21, 2008 02:19 AM

CJ of A Soldier's Perspective has up two audio interviews with 50-60 old women in Alabama protesting the war.

You might be interested in how others communicate across political and philosophical lines, Cricket.

The link to it and my response, here. Link

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 21, 2008 02:49 AM

Ymar, Cricket already knows about that sort of "communication" -- that's why she'll be baking a *lot* of cookies over the next few months...

Posted by: BillT at July 21, 2008 05:38 AM

Cookies like spinach for Pop Eye?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 21, 2008 05:44 AM

More like nitro-methane for a dragster...

Posted by: BillT at July 21, 2008 06:23 AM

LOL.
I am sort of looking forward to this course.
I don't do well in debate or argument, print or verbage. I just listen. A lot.

That's part of the reason I don't respond a whole lot here...I can snark a line but rarely defend a POV.

Funny you should mention nitro-methane...I put a can of it in the Precious the other day. It really helps with the gas mileage and engine performance.

Posted by: Cricket at July 21, 2008 10:28 AM

More like nitro-methane for a dragster...

See, Bill, she's modding her Precious.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 21, 2008 01:34 PM

Ymar, Cricket's Precious makes the T-28 over at the Castle look like a Dinky Toy™...

Posted by: BillT at July 21, 2008 02:53 PM

EGADS! I have been cheated out of a point for my paper by some writing consultant who barely got his BA in English, who still has pimples in his voice telling me that I needed to *steady....* use a citation that Americans eat convenience foods.

GOOD HELK IN A HANDBASKET! I shop the perimeters of the store to avoid such things because that's all there is!

That is from someone who still gets apostrophes for possessives mixed up with plurals, and doesn't know the difference between 'common knowledge' and an 'opinion.'
It is a good thing I am taking a break cause I would take the Precious and....

I guess this would be a good time to assume he either didn't cook for himself in college or his mother/wife/SO did, or if he did, his idea of cooking from scratch meant opening the jar, can, cellophane wrapper and waiting for his electric teapot to boil so he could scarf down his ramen.

Oh. I may get to clep out of five classes.
That will speed things up considerably.

Posted by: Cricket at July 21, 2008 04:42 PM

Ask him what he had for lunch. Better yet, see if the contents of his wastebasket include anything made of cellophane with a lot of primary colors imprinted thereon.

Dumping it out on his desk should help speed the process...

Posted by: BillT at July 21, 2008 05:59 PM

You're not supposed to "cite" things that are common knowledge.

And the fact that convenience foods exist and are eaten by Americans, so long as you don't mention any statistics or specifics, then you don't need a citation. And the people who want citations for that... can't think like a sentient species in the first place.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 21, 2008 06:27 PM

I have an email in to the professor, who let the 'writing consultant' grade my paper. She was a tad concerned, you see.

She should be.

Posted by: Cricket at July 22, 2008 11:26 AM

Who is she and concerned about what.p

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 22, 2008 11:44 PM

Well, she was concerned enough that I got a resopnse which was to take it down a notch. I did the class average, and I made it ahead with a B.
That is about what I have averaged so far, so there are seven classes they will allow me to CLEP.

I so very much need to do that to reduce aggravation and cost, time wasted and screeching.

Posted by: Cricket at July 23, 2008 04:54 PM

"so there are seven classes they will allow me to CLEP"
Congratulations!

Posted by: bthun at July 23, 2008 05:03 PM

Good for you, Cricket! :)

Just be careful on the CLEP that you don't shoot yourself in the foot.

I have found in general that the liberal arts classes carry no penalty, but if it is a math or accounting class, make sure you have a really solid foundation before you place out of it.

When I went back to school, I could have tested out of college algebra - I had been studying and my scores were acceptable.

Man, am I glad I didn't. I knew I was going on to Calculus, and I figured it was better to take the class again even though I could test out of it. It was money and time well spent. Sometimes a solid foundation (in math or in exercise or anything else) will get you up to speed faster than skipping ahead. But you are so smart that you will figure this out!

I am so proud of you for going back to school. I should have gone to grad school after I got back on the east coast. I doubt that I will ever go, now :)

Posted by: Cass at July 23, 2008 05:42 PM

I CLEPed Calculus just for grins because I started reading a textbook someone gave me and I got interested.

I passed.

*That* scared me...

Posted by: BillT at July 23, 2008 06:24 PM

"I am so proud of you for going back to school. I should have gone to grad school after I got back on the east coast. I doubt that I will ever go, now"
I've had this very discussion with my oldest since she began her final approach and ultimately the completion of her 4 year degree in business.

Recently, and finally! she said that she's going back for her advanced degree.

There is no doubt that the older and more entangled with everyday life you become, the harder the return to school becomes.

Posted by: bt_gonna-carry-that-weight-a-long-time_hun at July 23, 2008 06:34 PM