« Lost | Main | Coffee Snorters, Delusions of Adequacy Edition »

July 25, 2008

This Is The Moment!!!!

My brothers and sisters.

I firmly believe that one day we will all look back and realize that this is the moment when Barack Obama's campaign finally jumped the shark.

Did Obama overreach in Germany?

Why yes I believe he did, boys and girls:

And it came to pass, in the eighth year of the reign of the evil Bush the Younger (The Ignorant), when the whole land from the Arabian desert to the shores of the Great Lakes had been laid barren, that a Child appeared in the wilderness.

The Child was blessed in looks and intellect. Scion of a simple family, offspring of a miraculous union, grandson of a typical white person and an African peasant. And yea, as he grew, the Child walked in the path of righteousness, with only the occasional detour into the odd weed and a little blow.

When he was twelve years old, they found him in the temple in the City of Chicago, arguing the finer points of community organisation with the Prophet Jeremiah and the Elders. And the Elders were astonished at what they heard and said among themselves: “Verily, who is this Child that he opens our hearts and minds to the audacity of hope?”

In the great Battles of Caucus and Primary he smote the conniving Hillary, wife of the deposed King Bill the Priapic and their barbarian hordes of Working Class Whites.

And so it was, in the fullness of time, before the harvest month of the appointed year, the Child ventured forth - for the first time - to bring the light unto all the world.

When a candidate starts promising to heal the oceans and remake the world, I think we can all agree it's time to cut waaaaaaaaaaay back on the caffeine.

Yes, yes we can.

CWCID: Fbl for the Gerard Baker piece and
Anne Schroeder Mullins for the video.

Posted by Cassandra at July 25, 2008 08:15 AM

Comments

How does one snark this in a manner befitting lolcats?

Posted by: Cricket at July 25, 2008 10:03 AM

You beat me to it!

I have just sent this marvelous piece to all of my friends (and some BHO supporters).
When one speaks of cutting close to the bone, more truth than fantasy, or any other description of inventive prose, Baker has done it.

Ursula Le Guin: we lie in order to tell the truth.

Please also see Don Surber's article in today's dailymail.com post about the lies (well, some of them, anyway) in the fabulous Ich bin ein beginner speech.

As for Germany never torturing anyone, or HIS Senate banking committee, these bring to mind the marvelous vision of Art Buchwald, vainly trying to parody the Nixon Administration: (a paraphrase)
"I can't do it anymore. These guys are their own parody. Nobody could exaggerate the headlines in my own paper."

Posted by: Tom Johnson at July 25, 2008 10:12 AM

Wait a second... you're saying that this is the moment?!

I thought we were still seeking our arrival? Did that happen while I was out back? Are we still waiting for us?

Does this Magical Mystery Tour have a published schedule? Published program notes? A consistent message?

Wait one, there is a breaking news story coming over the wires... BO is making a follow up speech to his speech at Berlin's Tiergarten. Let's listen!

Posted by: bt_gonna-carry-that-weight-a-long-time_hun at July 25, 2008 10:38 AM

Well, when JHD let us know that a workout was More Important to the Senator and gave it more Gravitas,
I knew then that liberals everywhere would smirk. Talk about showing contempt! That man, and I use the term loosely, is not in good enough shape to run this country.

What a creep.

Posted by: Cricket at July 25, 2008 01:43 PM

Posted by: BillT at July 25, 2008 01:56 PM

My thoughts, exactly, Mr. Bill!

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at July 25, 2008 02:06 PM

Does that mean you're not going to kill me, or just that you're not going to kill me *today*?

Posted by: BillT at July 25, 2008 02:25 PM

Snarkhymnal #217: We Are The World...
with a solo sung by the pony tailed guy.

Posted by: Cricket at July 25, 2008 02:44 PM

One last comment before I take the CLUs to the library:

One of my Iraqi cadets asked me, "Obama -- he is running for President of the US or President of the World?"--Chief Sugarbuttons

Well, BillT, let's take that comment at face value.
Rush Limbaugh, noted radio pundit and self styled conservative would usually refer to the office of POTUS as 'leader of the free world.' Since most of the world is free due to US intervention, it would only stand to reason that citizens of the EU would be allowed to vote in our elections. by absentee, of course.

Posted by: Cricket at July 25, 2008 02:49 PM

"it would only stand to reason that citizens of the EU would be allowed to vote in our elections. by absentee, of course."
Your wish is ACORN's Mission Statement... unless they are active duty, deployed U.S. vets, of course.

Posted by: bt_gonna-carry-that-weight-a-long-time_hun at July 25, 2008 02:59 PM

What happened to all the back taxes they were supposed to pay us? At least we should have their first borns...

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 25, 2008 04:48 PM

Oh ye of little faith.

Blessed are those who believe but have never seen anything the Obama has done. Reparations 3:17

Posted by: Saint Jeramiah at July 25, 2008 06:19 PM

Hey, I not only want the back taxes, I want the interest and the principal from the lend-lease program, as well as a cancellation of foreign aid.

I believe we have a hymn to that as well, but I just can put my finger on it.

Posted by: Cricket at July 25, 2008 07:12 PM

I believe we have a hymn to that as well...

I believe we do...

Posted by: BillT at July 25, 2008 07:31 PM

After seeing the EU adulation for Hallowed are the Obamii, a urgent request from Chris Matthews has come into the cell-block.

So I'm spinning this little tingle for all of you suffers of from zilch-based-reality-convergence-with-expectations aka those of you with clinical cases of BO-dementia-throbulatus.

Happy tingles to you, until reality crashes in
Happy tingles to you, keep smilin' till the end...
Who cares about the clouds when we're together

Just speechify and bring the sunny weather

Happy trails to you till we hallucinate again

Posted by: "Joliet" Jake Blues at July 25, 2008 08:03 PM

Posted by: Cricket at July 25, 2008 08:30 PM

I was gonna put up 'Jesus Christ Superstar,' with Judas' song...but I saw lightning and heard thunder. This was not coincidental. This was scary.

Posted by: Cricket at July 25, 2008 08:46 PM

Meh, maybe next year...

Anyhow, seem to have a bad habit of saying something I intend to be completely innocuous, and SOMEBODY wants to make out to be all dirty... Reminds me of something that happened my freshman year of HS... I went on a church youth group outing. We were in El Paso at the time, and some place out on the edge of town did hay rides, in addition to having some sort of restaurant. The youth group did the hay ride, which went out to an old "fort" where they served a chuckwagon-style dinner. Dessert was a pre-packaged ice cream sundae kind of thing. I'm not a big fruit eater. So, when I open my sundae, I announce "Does anyone what my *fruit*??" My best friend's slightly older brother said something tacky. Being the naive girl that I was, I had no clue of the other meaning of what I'd just said...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at July 25, 2008 09:32 PM

I grew up with two oder brothers and sisters who riffed on what I said to the point of me just being obnoxious in return in self-defense.

I don't normally mind teasing, but in my family it was an art.

My sons detest some youth activities because of lippy kids, but fortunately for me they are both gentlemen and ignore the double entendres.

Posted by: Cricket at July 25, 2008 10:15 PM

I had to have someone explain it to me... I was a freshman, so her brother would have been a junior...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at July 25, 2008 10:25 PM

Miss L, I would have accepted the offer and the only words out of my mouth would've been, "Thank you."

Remind me to tell you about the time I won a cellophane lei in a Cub Scout beanbag toss when I was 10 and, rather than plunk it into the nearest trash barrel, I offered it to a passing young lady with the query, " 'scuse me, do you want a ..."

Took two years to figure out why she hit me.

Posted by: BillT at July 26, 2008 02:11 AM

Heheh, a cellophane lei. Bill, was your Cub Scout den located at one of the early Hedonist retreats?

With two older brothers and an older sister, my payback account was in serious need of reconciliation by the time I hit Cub Scouts. So when I discovered Mad Magazine on or about the Cub Scout age, stealth and payback were elevated to an art, and of course, it has been downhill from that point on...

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at July 26, 2008 10:35 AM

Hedonist?

No, most of the guys were Presbyterian.

Posted by: BillT at July 26, 2008 10:45 AM

That's pretty funny, Bill, about the lei...

And, would have wanted to accept the fruit, or the *fruit*? One I would have gladly given. The other is not so lightly offered...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at July 26, 2008 11:43 AM

I want the interest and the principal from the lend-lease program

That should be "interest and principal with inflation adjusted to within 5 years of when they are being paid" ; )

They want to see "Imperialism" and "Mercantile" exploitation? Well, they can see it if they wish. And if they don't see it from us, they will see it from the Chinese.

as well as a cancellation of foreign aid.

No, no, that should be an "increase in foreign aid" with the stipulation that "we get to vote in their elections". Hey, we're paying them taxes, and that's the same agreement Europe has for voting in our elections, so how come our money can't buy us a seat at the table of Arab democracy in Egypt and Saudi Arabia?

What, you said there aren't any democracies there for us buy a table at? Man, we got ripped and rolled. Well, at least we should have the right to vote, all 300 million of us, to execute or not execute certain leaders and imams in Egypt. It'd be very convenient had we been able to do so for all those Yemenese bombers of the Cole, who later "escaped".

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 26, 2008 01:12 PM

The other is not so lightly offered...

Well, it *was* only cellophane...

Posted by: BillT at July 26, 2008 01:16 PM

What is playing out here at the start of a new millennium is the residue of the love affair this country had with Marxism in the 1920’s and 1930’s. FDR and Eleanor were infatuated with Lenin and Stalin. Huge segments of the American public embraced socialism and Marxism as the true course, particularly after 1929.

The son’s and daughter’s who composed “The Greatest Generation” need an asterisk beside that appellation for many of them were raised by parents who had the same hate and distrust of America we see today in the likes of the Democratic Party. Certainly the upper tier of the US, in Minnesota, the Dakotas, Montana, Michigan and others you had a German and Irish population that openly rallied for Adolf Hitler such was their hate for Great Britain.

Now many of those son’s and daughters are playing out their last days continuing to hate the US, their raison d’être being Vietnam, their surrogate for Germany’s defeat in WWII. This election is their validation that the US is indeed evil, just as their parents taught them; a theme they then honed to a fine edge in the 1960’s. They have learned the methodology of the Alinsky’s and the Lenin’s, the Goebbels BIG LIE and the love of communism over capitalism and now they are applying it with all the aplomb the computer age can afford them.
This election is perhaps to the United States as important as the one of 1800. Perhaps more so. The choice between a coke snorting, pot smoking, perhaps American citizen who is THE MOST LIBERAL SENATOR IN THE SENATE and a distinguished Naval Academy Graduate war hero presents as stark a contrast as you will ever find. If we err now it will be akin to the implications the election of 1860 had on setting the stage for a great American tragedy, for it will surely come to pass.

Posted by: Habu at July 26, 2008 05:20 PM

And which election was it that produced that tragedy?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 26, 2008 08:15 PM

The other is not so lightly offered...

*head doink*

The topping.

Posted by: BillT at July 27, 2008 03:12 AM

I still don't get why she hit you.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 27, 2008 12:45 PM

I wish I could believe, like some conservatives do, that Americans will get wise to this flim-flam man from Chicago before the election. But Clinton was elected twice, remember? Many Americans seem have a very warm spot in their hearts for smooth-talking used car salesmen.

However, we're not in the '90's. If Obama gets elected and actually has to govern as compared to making nice speeches, I think reality will finally hit. The public will be feeling buyer's remorse by the time the '10 midterms roll around.

I have to confess though, that I don't want to wait that long. The more I see this bantam cock and his disciples strut around like he's already Prez, the more jeering I read online about McC being "doddering" and "boring" and "senile", the more I want to see the entire smug lot of them lose in November.

I took off from work the day after the '04 elections and had a very pleasant afternoon listening to the anguished cries of NPR callers. How I would love it if that happened this year, because their hubris is appalling. But I'm afraid it won't.

Posted by: Donna V. at July 27, 2008 01:32 PM

BillT~

Are you trying to make me change my mind about you being *dead*??

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at July 27, 2008 03:32 PM

Maybe he just wants a resurrection afterwards, LadyB.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 27, 2008 06:02 PM

Btw, if people want to have their blood pressure go up and be angry, or have violent hallucinations if you are inclined to such, read this article.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 27, 2008 06:42 PM

I certainly hope a sufficient number of voters DO NOT vote for Obama.

Not that McCain is "all that", but he is our best hope at the current time, sad as that may be...

Posted by: camojack at July 28, 2008 01:41 AM

Being sad is infinitely preferable to being dead under Obama's administration.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 28, 2008 02:13 AM

Are you trying to make me change my mind about you being *dead*??

Perish the thought.

Being on the dodge keeps my situational awareness tuned &and* keeps me nimble (and I need all the nimble I can get over here)...

Posted by: BillT at July 28, 2008 02:49 AM

I thought all you needed were claymores, firepower, bodies, bullets, and a self-destruct charge tied to a nuclear warhead with anti-tamper protections?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 28, 2008 03:17 AM

Nope -- I downloaded the schematics for Tesla's Death Ray from the

*pfffzzzzt!*

Nuts. Forgot they use 220/240 over here...

Posted by: BillT at July 28, 2008 03:53 AM

"I thought all you needed were...."

.....his thrice measured *27" zipper* and an electric blue thong?

0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at July 28, 2008 03:51 PM

Nice to see your solar-collector crowned, Taser-wielding self DL Sly!

Posted by: bthun at July 28, 2008 06:03 PM

It has been altogether too quiet around here without her, that is for certain.

Posted by: The Pizza Slut at July 28, 2008 06:13 PM

Dangerously quiet, Cass. You never know what the company of villains will be talking about with you women folk around.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 28, 2008 11:04 PM

Well we will have to see what we can do about that :p

Posted by: Chinese Jewish Mexican-American Lawn Chica at July 28, 2008 11:38 PM

Oh, my bad, I should have said "without you women folk around"; I guess was afraid of being clobbered.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at July 29, 2008 12:08 AM