« The Obama Salute Caption Contest | Main | Russia--The US Made Us Do It »

August 08, 2008

Friday Afternoon Blues

I am a mad blues fan and an even bigger fan of Jonny Lang. I own every one of his CDs, either physically or on my iPod. KJ turned me onto him years ago over at JetNoise on that crazy Top Ten Feel Good Songs thread (yo Joatmoaf!). I think it is such a hoot that that thread is still going strong. I had no idea when I wrote it that it would still be going four years later. There is something immensely cool (and slightly scary) about that. It also makes me think Don Brouhaha may be psychic :p

At any rate, Lang is an immensely talented young man, but up until the other day I'd never heard him talk, so I never realized what a genuinely nice kid he is. Listening to him talk, I was just blown away:

In a world full of pretentious celebrities, it's nice to see someone who hasn't let success go to his head.

Some very early Jonny that many of you will have heard.

Quite possibly my favorite Lang song, though I have a soft spot in my heart for Red Light and Second Guessing too.

Oh heck. This kid keeps coming out with so many good ones it is hard to pick a favorite.

Enjoy.

Posted by Cassandra at August 8, 2008 03:19 PM

Comments

That's psycho, not psychic. And if any of you guys touch any of my stuff again.....I'll kill ya! :)

KJ was/is/still a pretty sharp guy; kudos for all that musical stuff. He was a big fan of "Three Doors Down" too, which is also a pretty hot band. I miss arguing with him about all the livid terrier stuff; that was fun. I wish he would come around and comment more often. And who knows where the Masked Menace went off to, either? Is Joatmoaf still alive, after all the hurricanes?
And what ever happened to Beaver Cleaver?

Okay, back on my head.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at August 8, 2008 04:03 PM

Yeah. We were both 3DD fans back then. I used to have them on the stereo constantly when I lived in soCal - boy does that bring back memories. I think our taste in music is fairly similar except for his regrettable taste for rappers :p

He's the only guy who generally gets my gratuitous Grandmaster Flash references. Pile listens to some interesting stuff too. The Frito Banditos (Pile, KJ and spd) have been responsible for some interesting additions to my iPod over the years.

Heh. That's why I occasionally try to do music threads.

As for the Menace, he may be closer than you think :p

And Joat still pops in here now and then, I think. He just doesn't comment much. I miss him, though, sassy old thing that he is.

Posted by: Romper Room at August 8, 2008 04:34 PM

There is nothing wrong with rap. But it must be old school - Ice Cube, Easy-E, Dr. Dre. Grandmaster Flash is good too (wow - hadn't heard that name in a LONG time). Love me some Beastie Boys too.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at August 8, 2008 06:22 PM

Wow - reading through the comments on Jet Noise...Keb Mo. I use to love him and haven't listened to him in a LONG time. Sweet.

Posted by: Meandering down memory lane at August 8, 2008 06:32 PM

Very nice...

To continue with the Friday Blues theme, I offer this oldie but goody from a Jawja group in their prime... Summer nights spent under the stars with friends and a mad dog of the 20/20 variety. =8^} Why oh why is youth wasted on the young?

And when the evening is done and you're slam up against your SO, click this one. Not quite the blues, but it'll capture the moment.

Posted by: bt_Godblessthechild_hun at August 8, 2008 07:47 PM

Off topic, but I thought you'd like to know that in the new updated Clue boardgame, the former Miss Scarlet is now called "Cassandra". :-D

Posted by: jeffrey at August 8, 2008 08:55 PM

Really? That's kind of cool. :)

Posted by: Grim at August 8, 2008 09:15 PM

And rather fitting.

Posted by: Meandering down memory lane at August 8, 2008 09:34 PM

Clapton and Buddy Guy - great combo.

Posted by: Meandering down memory lane at August 8, 2008 09:51 PM

Thank you, I had never heard of him before. I will have to add him to the play list.

Posted by: Russ at August 8, 2008 10:40 PM

Is that K.D. Lang's kid brother?

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at August 8, 2008 04:03 PM

Lighten up, Francis... ;-)

Posted by: camojack at August 9, 2008 12:02 AM

That's nice, bthun. Coltraine will never go far wrong with this crowd. Buddy Guy neither, HF6!

Posted by: Cass at August 9, 2008 07:01 AM

That's funny, Jeffrey :p

When we used to play with my boys, I always used to pick Miss Scarlett. Red is my favorite color.

Posted by: Cass at August 9, 2008 07:03 AM

I'll tell you what I can't stand about rap, HF6 (in general).

I have never been a big fan of emoting, overstatement or braggadoccio, and those things pretty much encapsulate the whole rap lifestyle/image/metier. I don't want to listen to you go on and on about your anger, how big and bad you are, how many cops you have killed, women you have banged, how many bad words you can rapid-fire, etc.

It's not that I am a prude.

I wasn't exactly proud of my display of bad temper the other day. It bothered me. I thought for a long time about apologizing but then I just decided to let it go and move on. It's not as though I do that sort of thing all the time.

I don't hate all rap, either. My son listens to some rap and hip hop (more hip hop, really) that isn't too bad. Some I even like. He had one CD on when I was down there for Christmas that I loved. There are a few Beastie Boys songs that I like too :p

But most of it I can do without. Though some of the hard rock stuff I listen to is probably not the greatest in the world either, though I try to stay away from bands with corrosive lyrics.

Posted by: Cass at August 9, 2008 09:26 AM

...though I try to stay away from bands with corrosive lyrics.

Darn. I *like* acid rock...

Posted by: BillT at August 9, 2008 11:00 AM

You displayed bad temper Milady? Hmmm, I've been a bit distracted lately but I don't recall any egregious displays of temper.

Spirit and being unwilling to allow something to proceed beyond a set point, now that is altogether another kettle of fish.

It's not what you say, it's how you back it up. =8^}

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at August 9, 2008 11:16 AM

Or how you get your back up.

Or where you get your backup.

Or if you prefer to back up in your pickup or charge straight ahead, pinning your target haplessly, helplessly, hopelessly against the garage wall during a dark and stormy

*whap!* Owww!

Thanks. I needed that...

Posted by: BillT at August 10, 2008 07:45 AM

Well, I could have said what I said a little more gently, bthun. There were about two other posts I was biting back at the time. I don't imagine that helped any, but that is no excuse really.

Clark Hoyt can kiss my grits.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 10, 2008 08:08 AM

As I said, spirit! =8^}

And pickups come with a reverse?

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at August 10, 2008 08:53 AM

Posted by: BillT at August 10, 2008 10:20 AM

"I've had to go full reverse on one of my pickups, but that when I was still doing the singles-bar scene and I noticed her Adam's apple..."
Reminds me of SP duty in Naples, It. I did pity da fools that fell for L-O-L-A, Lola, La, La, La, La, Lola. They could not understand why she walked like a woman but talked like a man, until...

Posted by: bt_keep-moving-nothing-to-see-here_hun at August 10, 2008 08:48 PM

Wow. Get busy for 5 days and people start talking about you.

That was a great thread. I'm also honored to belong to a group with a cool sounding name (The Frito Banditos). Beats what I usually hear, like "Effin lawyers!"

Pile also introduced me to Reckless Kelly (he mentioned one song on one of his lists) since that thread. One of my absolute favorites now.

Sorry I don't comment so often now Don. I just can't seem to fit the time in. Like now -- should be writing brief since it has to be done before I leave today b/c I'm in court arguing a different one tomorrow.

Posted by: KJ at August 12, 2008 05:31 PM

I miss having the Frito Bros. around all the time, too, Don. Those were fun times, weren't they?

I even miss my 'for the children' arguments with KJ :p

"Effin' lawyers" :) (she said, affectionately)

Posted by: Cassandra at August 12, 2008 05:34 PM