« Classy | Main | Thame Old Thong.... »

August 28, 2008

God Plans to Vote for Obama. Who Knew?

This is beyond parody.

In an aside, Darleen takes a swipe at something I noticed the other day:

Then there is how Donald Miller gave the benediction last Monday night at the Democrat Convention:

Give those in this room who have power, along with those who will meet next week, the courage to work together to finally provide health care to those who don’t have any, and a living wage so families can thrive rather than struggle.

Hep (sic) us figure out how to pay teachers what they deserve and give children an equal opportunity to get a college education.

Help us figure out the balance between economic opportunity and corporate gluttony.

A prayer to enact specific Democrat legislation.

Obviously Darleen didn't hear the Right Rev. Cynthia Hale:

Please rise for the invocation, offered by the Reverend Cynthia Hale from Georgia.

REV. CYNTHIA HALE: Good afternoon.

It is my privilege to lead us in prayer.

Great and awesome God, as we gather in this place from all across the length and breadth of this nation, we pause to acknowledge you as the one in whom we live and move and have our being. You, oh, God, created us in your image and likeness and invited us to partner with you in the stewardship of your world.

We are called to be faithful over the Earth, its people and its resources. On this day, as we gather to renew America's promise, we are keenly aware of the challenges American families are facing. People are being hit hard by the economic downturn, the energy crisis and rising food costs. Their spirits are being crushed by the mortgage mayhem, as well as the absence of affordable housing and health care.

Parents desire and deserve to be able to give their children quality and affordable education, from preschool through college. Times are tough. People are struggling. Some have lost hope.

We know, oh, God that this is not your perfect will for any of your people. It is your will that all people have their basic human needs met. It is your desire that all would prosper and be in good health, even as our souls prosper. It is your desire that everyone would be treated with dignity and respect.

As a nation and as a party, we are at a crucial time. We have an opportunity to not only make history, but to bring about change we can all believe in and restore hope to the hearts of women and men.

Unite us as a party, oh God. Let us be one in this common purpose -- to renew our promise so that we might live out our creed to be one nation under God, with liberty and justice for all.

In your strong and mighty name we pray.

Amen.

Who among us can know the will of God?

To all appearances, the Rev. Cynthia Hale. And she wants you to know that Almighty God is squarely behind Barack Obama :p

Posted by Cassandra at August 28, 2008 06:33 PM

Comments

You know, as a teacher I know more than a few in my profession that would not like that prayer for them to be paid what they deserve to be answered.

Posted by: Pile On at August 28, 2008 07:30 PM

She is mighty presumptuous...

God works in mysterious ways, and sometimes it is God's will that people have to deal with bad things. I think God uses these trials to teach us, or to be examples to us. Through an individual's suffering, other good things may happen...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at August 28, 2008 08:09 PM

This isn't news. 'A light will come down from somewhere, and you will experience an epiphany. You wil say, 'I have to vote for Barack.''

Hasn't happened to me yet, but I'm planning to slide on down to the Triple Rock. As the McCain ad says, "Can you see the light?"

Posted by: Grim at August 28, 2008 08:13 PM

Brother Grim,

Let's go...

Posted by: "Joliet" Jake Blues at August 28, 2008 09:08 PM

Amen, Pile :p

Posted by: Cass at August 28, 2008 09:18 PM

As an antidote, may I suggest the invocation given by Archbishop Demetrios of America, current archbishop of the Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America and Exarch of the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. I was lucky enough to actually see him offer this invocation and I thought then that Archbishop Demetrios' prayer was remarkable.

Apparently, Archbishop Demetrios will also offer an invocation at the Republican Convention. According to one account I read he offers prayers at both conventions "following the example set by Archbishop Iakovos, of blessed memory."

Posted by: Elise at August 29, 2008 01:01 AM

Somehow, I have difficulty believing that the Almighty would be voting for the Party of gay marriage and infanticide, et al.

But all I have to go on is what it says in the Bible...

Posted by: camojack at August 29, 2008 01:15 AM

...and may You enlighten us as to just what in hell that means sometime *before* the election."

Posted by: BillT at August 29, 2008 06:57 AM

""We have an opportunity to not only make history, but to bring about change we can all believe in...

First, members of the Reich-wing Zeal... er, Loyal Opposition will receive a change of clothes after you complete the following form:

Total Assets?________.__
Donations to the People's Collective:________.__*

Now please queue up for your showers and then you will receive your rail boarding passes to your new work assignments and your Michelle's Works Progress Administration Volunteer (MWPA) sign up sheet**.

Anyone possessing a blackberry, laptop, microTV, or any publication from an unauthorized source will be on reduced rations for 30 days for the first offense.

Now, have a nice day, comrade!

Any questions? Guards, please remove the person in the back with their hand raised... Any other questions? No? Good.

* Assets donated to the People's Collective must equal no less than 95% of Total Assets.

** Must be completed prior to receiving new assignment. NOTE: If you have any questions regarding the form, raise your hand and a People's Collective Guard of the People will remove you from the People's sidewalk to a more private area where you will be assisted.

Posted by: Leo Trotsky at August 29, 2008 08:04 AM

Why is this surprising? How many Right-wing evangelical Christian pastors preached the George W Bush gospel during the last two Presidential elections?

Posted by: Jeffrey at August 29, 2008 08:20 AM

More to the point: How many of them gave invocations spouting the Party line at the Repub Convention(s)?

Bishop Keith Butler? Not an RWECP.

Reverend Max Lucado? Not an RWECP.

Imam Pasha? Heh. Not an RWECP by a looooong shot...

Posted by: BillT at August 29, 2008 08:36 AM

Good question, Jeffrey. How many examples of a pastor endorsing Bush from his pulpit can you find? I can recall that Jerry Fallwel did, and drew an IRS investigation into his church's tax-exempt status as a consequence.

Posted by: Grim at August 29, 2008 09:13 AM

"As far as I know, the standard is that you aren't supposed to do this (or at least, if you do, you are legally considered 'not a church' for tax purposes)."
The IRS regulations governing 501(c)(3)organizations are summarized here. Illustrative examples are also provided in the pdf document.

Posted by: bt_careful-with-that-audit_hun at August 29, 2008 09:26 AM

Look for Jeffrey to applaud that as a proper exercise of federal authority while simultaneously asserting the "right" of Democrats to do exactly the same thing with impunity.

[checking watch]

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 09:28 AM

Hey, the Democrats get to do it *and* holler about "separation of Church and State" when some sleazy blogger mentions that tax exemption thang.

Win-win.

Posted by: BillT at August 29, 2008 09:47 AM

How many tu quoque arguments does this guy have?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 29, 2008 10:33 AM

Unfortunately for the Right Rev Cynthia Hale, the second coming will be Sarah Palin as McCains running mate.

GOD is a woman!

Posted by: vet66 at August 29, 2008 10:42 AM

Lots of examples of the Christian Right using the pulpit to indoctrinate on political issues. Perhaps the funniest is Matt Taibbi's article for Rolling Stone "Jesus made me puke": http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/story/20278737/jesus_made_me_puke/print

Then there's this excerpt from "The Christian Right in American Politics" http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0878403922/ref=sib_dp_pop_ex?ie=UTF8&p=S00U#reader-link

There's much more to choose from, Grim. Material on the Christian Right is pretty pervasive online.

Posted by: Jeffrey at August 29, 2008 11:04 AM

How is there an "economic downturn" (per the hand-wringing prayer) in the face of 3.3% GDP growth for the 2nd quarter of 2008 and a 5.7% unemployment rate?

Posted by: Texan99 at August 29, 2008 11:11 AM

Again, the point is not whether any of the "Christian Right" have ever done the same thing Jeffrey.

Last time I checked, the White House doesn't control the actions of every preacher on the Right, nor (presumably would the Left control those of every Lefty preacher). The point here was that these were invited celebrants at the DNC.

It's a question of venue and sponsorship.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 11:13 AM

Oh. And by the way, I have written before about preachers who talk politics from the pulpit in violation of IRS regs. My POV was (then) that they jeopardize their tax exempt status.

And I was talking about the case Grim mentioned. So I am consistent regardless of ideology.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 11:15 AM

I don't think it's a question at all, Cass. That's my point. Religion and politics both assert certain values. There's a huge amount of crossover so why point it out at all?

On a different note, McCain just picked Palin. Now let's see a show of hands. Who believes, should circumstances call for it, that Sarah Palin will make a good President?

Anyone? Buehler?

That's real sound judgment there, Sen. McCain.

Posted by: Jeffrey at August 29, 2008 11:19 AM

I don't think it's a question at all, Cass.

The IRS begs to differ with you, Jeffrey :p

What is your objection to Palin?

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 11:25 AM

Anyone think that Barack Obama, based on his limited experience, will make a good president?

What is the basis for this decision? His attendance record in the US Senate? His attendance record in the Illinois Senate? His limited organizational experience with the Annenberg Challenge in Chicago, which is somewhat underexamined?

As a VP to Hillary (pretty limited experience in office herself), this might be acceptable. But really.
He could and very possible will win in November. But I wonder how long the Democrats and the media get to blame every problem BHO will have on the Bush Administration? One year? Two years?

This isn't the Harvard Law Review, and the stakes are pretty high. Let's roll the dice on that one.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at August 29, 2008 11:31 AM

Judgment, Don. Judgment. We all can see what leaders with "experience" and poor judgment have accomplished in the past 8 years. Obama brings sound judgment, an open mind, and an ability to attract the best and the brightest to Washington.

Posted by: Jeffrey at August 29, 2008 11:51 AM

The choice and timing of Sarah Palin is brilliant. It is the worst nightmare of Obama and his handlers. They didn't see this coming?

Will gender trump race? That is the question...the answer is YES!

Game over!

Posted by: vet66 at August 29, 2008 11:54 AM

On what evidence do you assert Palin has poor judgment, Jeffrey?

Obama brings sound judgment...

That is your opinion. I don't see that quality in him at all. He certainly hasn't exercised good judgment or foresight in who he associates with, nor in the way he handled any of the dustups that have happened so far (lying outright initially, then changing his story and admitting he hadn't been honest at first when confronted with proof anyone should have been able to foresee would surface). He hasn't (IMO) exhibited character or integrity either.

But I suppose it's all in what one chooses to overlook.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 12:01 PM

Judgement, sound judgement.

The choice of Rev. Jeremiah Wright to be his minister for 20 years?

The choice of Bill Ayers to work with in Chicago?

I'm impressed. Not!

I see his judgement on who he chooses to associate himself with.

Standard Democratic talking points. Not. working .with .me.
Wouldn't be prudent. At this juncture.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at August 29, 2008 12:08 PM

Yes, you're right Vet66. The Obama campaign probably didn't expect McCain to commit suicide by picking someone who's main concern in taking the VP slot (apart from learning what the job of Vice President is) is what can she do for the 600,000 people of Alaska! Now that's a real national leader right there. LOL!

"As for the prospect of her being vice president, Palin told Kudlow that she could not answer the question of whether she wanted the job “until somebody answers for me what is it exactly that the VP does every day. I’m used to being very productive and working real hard in an administration. We want to make sure that that VP slot would be a fruitful type of position, especially for Alaskans and for the things that we’re trying to accomplish up here….”

Oh my. I can see it now. Well, Senator, I'm so flattered that you would offer me the position of Vice President of the United States, but before I answer, could you tell me what a Vice President does exactly? ROFLMAO!

Posted by: Jeffrey at August 29, 2008 12:22 PM

Gee Jeffery,

That's all well and good, sorta cute, but would you think that comparing her accomplishments while in public office to BO's might put a different light on the joke?

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at August 29, 2008 12:51 PM

I do think it will be hard to make the experience argument against Palin. If the Obama camp says, "McCain is old and Palin isn't experienced enough to lead if he drops dead on January 21" the counter-argument is simply that she is as experienced as Obama and no one would have to drop dead in order for him to be in charge.

As for judgment, I don't think Jeffrey was asserting that Palin had poor judgment but that McCain showed poor judgment in picking her. That's an argument that will be settled in early November. I haven't heard anything about Palin's judgment to make me question it but I will admit there's not a lot of job-related data there. I'd argue there's not a lot of job-related data on Obama's judgment either.

I'm not sure, Jeffrey, why you find this funny. The Vice-President's only formal function is to vote when the Senate is deadlocked (which will be never since the Democrats plan to achieve a huge majority). Other than that, the one constant function of the Vice-President is to go to state funerals.

This means the extent to which a Vice President has substantive duties is totally up to the President who can do anything from establishing a virtual co-presidency to totally ignoring the person down the hall. Anyone who isn't at the end of his or her political career and accepts an invitation to run for Vice-President had darn well better be sure he or she is going to have some substantive role in the Administration, preferably a defined portfolio.

I'm sure everyone will be fighting the "what did she mean by fruitful for Alaska" fight for the next two months but one reasonable interpretation is that she didn't want to abandon her efforts on behalf of Alaska if her Vice-Presidential tenure truly wouldn't amount to more than a bucket of warm, um, spit. The "I'm not interested in being a seat warmer" attitude might play well in Peoria - or at least Scranton.

Finally, I'd suggest the Obama camp be a teeny tiny bit careful about regarding Palin as a rube and - even worse - about making it clear that's how they regard her.

Posted by: Elise at August 29, 2008 01:03 PM

That last was the shrewd aspect of this pick.

A lot of women (including myself) already see Obama as sexist. To the extent they go after her creds, they risk enraging female voters and reopening old wounds from the Hillary days. The blowback could be hellish :p

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 01:06 PM

bthun, it's not a joke. That's the awful part. She actually said that. Come on, now. That's just insane.

Look at her resume. 4 yrs City Council of a tiny Alaskan village (5000 population - Alaskans call that a city). 4 yrs Mayor - same place. 2 yrs Governor after beating someone who's picture could show up in the dictionary under the word "corrupt". Would you hire her if VP of the US was a corporate position?

Now I do like her anti-corruption work. But not knowing what a VP does, and wanting to know how she can benefit Alaska in that role?? That's way beyond the pale (pun intended).

Posted by: Jeffrey at August 29, 2008 01:10 PM

Honestly, she was picked because she's a woman. I really doubt a man with comparable experience would have made the cut.

Exactly. Bush made the same mistake when he nominated Harriet Miers. Why, even Harriet had more experience than Palin who was a couple of years ago was mayor (part-time no less!!) of Wasi-whatever, Alaska.

What is McCain thinking?? Yes, she's the mother of five which should should serve her well with the GOP working moms but Ahmadinejad? Not so much.

Posted by: Ingrid at August 29, 2008 01:14 PM

Does the Obama Campaign Machine reflect Obama?

If it doesn't, he exercised atrocious judgment in picking it.

If it does, then he has neither an open mind nor the ability to attract the best and the brightest.

Posted by: BillT at August 29, 2008 01:17 PM

Or be sworn into office when the seventy-two year President can no longer read a teleprompter.

Posted by: Ingrid at August 29, 2008 01:19 PM

But she's not as experienced as Obama, not even close. The city of Chicago is five times larger than the entire State of Alaska. Obama has experience in a major metropolitan city and at the state and national level. She doesn't even approach that.

While the case could be made (as you aptly did) that her VP question is a fair one, it showed extremely poor judgment to tell it the way she did to a reporter. It should have been a private discussion between her and McCain.

I'm sure the Obama campaign will treat her with kid gloves, although his supporters probably won't. She's just incredibly ill-suited to this role.

Posted by: Jeffrey at August 29, 2008 01:19 PM

Obama didn't *run* the city of Chicago, Jeffrey.

Not even close :p

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 01:24 PM

In fact, Obama has never *run* anything even as big as a village of 5000 :p It's an odd criticism to make, unless you're intent on distorting the comparison.

Would you hire her if VP of the US was a corporate position?

Probably not. But then I would be even less likely to hire Barack Obama if Pres. of the US were a corporate position. I can't imagine asking someone to run the world's largest superpower with NO comparable experience whatsoever on his resume.

Palin doesn't have as much as I'd like, but she's in the #2 slot, not the #1 slot. But regardless, her experience still completely eclipses Obama's.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 01:29 PM

OK, well: what does Dick Cheney do every day? Seriously?

Posted by: Grim at August 29, 2008 01:29 PM

She's just incredibly ill-suited to this role.

As is Obama to the role of POTUS.

And Palin's record is open-source. Why has the Obama Campaign gone to such excruciating lengths to insure Obama's is *not*?

Posted by: BillT at August 29, 2008 01:32 PM

Jeffery,

I think Elise pretty accurately described the duties of the VP. Vote on Senate ties and other TBD, as assigned. Thanks Elise...

I think I would ask what I might expect as far as the duties to be assigned to my new job, if I were being asked to surrender the Governorship of my home state. Especially for a run at VP... Pie-in-sky sort of proposition that is running for national office.

Matter of fact, I've always accepted jobs only after doing the very same thing... And it goes without saying that my jobs have been zilch point zip compared to to office of the VP of the U.S. But hey, I said it anyway.

And

"Obama has experience in a major metropolitan city and at the state and national level."
I'm not entirely clear on the meaning, claim of productivity or political prowess inherent in that statement but I am pleased to find that you do have a magnificent sense of humor Jeffery. I'm please to see this side of you. =8^}
"Bush made the same mistake when he nominated Harriet Miers."
And the same argument can be made against the Democratic party for nominating BO...

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at August 29, 2008 01:35 PM

Why? To someone opposed to her it probably sounds hickish. To other people it will sound authentic, real, like something other than politics as usual.

As for the Obama campaign treating her with kid gloves, I believe they've already blown that opportunity:

Today, John McCain put the former mayor of a town of 9,000 with zero foreign policy experience a heartbeat away from the presidency. Governor Palin shares John McCain's commitment to overturning Roe v. Wade, the agenda of Big Oil and continuing George Bush's failed economic policies — that's not the change we need, it's just more of the same.

The latter part of this is quite reasonable. The first sentence sounds a little snotty. (And, as I re-read it, stupid - Obama seems to be conceding the election. Freudian slip, anyone?)

One of the bloggers who noted this called her post "Bittergate II". That's the area I was advising caution in. I hadn't even thought of Cassandra's point about angering women by dismissing her value - but it's an excellent one.

Posted by: Elise at August 29, 2008 01:36 PM

Grim: What does Cheney do? Whatever the hell he wants, after he's done laying out Bush's day.

Cass: Palin's experience "completely eclipses Obama's"???? *Sigh* I can't believe you wrote that with a straight face. Or at the very least you typed it with your fingers crossed.

Posted by: Jeffrey at August 29, 2008 01:37 PM

Eliza, I don't read that as snotty at all. It simply stated the facts. Everything in that statement is true.

At least they didn't mention the Wooten scandal. Hot Air beat them to it. http://hotair.com/archives/2008/07/31/video-sarah-palin-on-the-wooten-scandal-and-on-being-vp/

Posted by: Jeffrey at August 29, 2008 01:48 PM

I guess I'm unique in that respect, bthun. I find out what the responsibilities of a new job are before I apply. I have never once said to a prospective employer - "Sure, I'd love to be PM for that product. Um, what's a PM? Oh, and is it OK with you if I do a little work for my old employer's product too? I've been there so long and I sure do love those guys."

Nope. I've never said anything like that on a job interview in my life.

Posted by: Jeffrey at August 29, 2008 01:54 PM

You can't believe it because you have already illogically asserted that experience doesn't matter in Obama's case (he has none) but that it's a disqualifier in Palin's (she has several years of executive experience).

Job title: Chief Executive.

Not politician. Executive. And Obama has never run anything larger than the ice bucket sitting on my bar.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 02:00 PM

What you mean by that joke, Jeffrey, is that you don't really know, but assume it's quite a bit. Neither do I know: but the responsibilities are assumed to be quite large by both of us.

So, her remark is really sensible: just what would I be doing? Would she be Cheney? Gore? Or just set aside and asked to golf and show up at funerals and picnics?

I'd want to know the answer to that question as well.

Posted by: Grim at August 29, 2008 02:13 PM

Jeffrey's really reaching.

Any job candidate is expected to ask how their prospective boss sees their role. If you don't, you're not thinking ahead, and you can't possibly assess - or discuss with any authority - your own suitability (or desire to take) the job.

And I believe I'll just leave it at that :p

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 02:18 PM

And regarding asking about my prospective responsibilities, I *always* ask, Jeffrey. There is plenty of time during the discussion to show you've done your research, but you know what they say about people who assume.

FWIW, in all these years I've had no trouble being hired. Employers like getting that out on the table.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 02:20 PM

And I believe I'll just leave it at that :p

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 02:18 PM

Guess I lied!

Posted by: Cassandra at August 29, 2008 02:21 PM

"I find out what the responsibilities of a new job are before I apply."
Your sarcasm is duly noted, but as the man said, there you go again, assuming that you are unique Jeffery. Well maybe, maybe not.

Palin was approached, I'd be willing to bet, as a potential candidate for the job... Just the same as I have been approached in the past to step into new jobs. And I'll be willing to bet that you would agree that you would have to be an idiot to accept a job offer if you did not seek to clarify what your role and responsibilities would be if you said yes.

[goes back to honeydew list... which BTW, is one that I did notclarify before falling into... Now look at me]

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at August 29, 2008 02:36 PM

bthun, wives *never* clarify honeydew lists -- they just *issue* them. Executing the tasks is *our* area of expertise.

Besides, clarification only leads to terminal depression.

Posted by: BillT at August 29, 2008 02:48 PM

"I find out what the responsibilities of a new job are before I apply."

She didn't apply -- it was offered.

I *always* ask what the job entails when I'm offered one. Saves the aggravation of discovering you should have packed the Remington instead of the Ruger.

Posted by: BillT at August 29, 2008 02:53 PM

Here comes the moral relativism garbage, Cass.

There's a huge amount of crossover so why point it out at all?

What did I say, Cass, eh? And I’m reading and responding in order, so this isn’t an artificial construct, either.

That's real sound judgment there, Sen. McCain.

I guess Obama has lots of people like Jeffrey telling him how to attack McCain and his VP choice. All of them seem to be meaner than Jeffrey wants to be, twue.

What is your objection to Palin?

She’s in his way.

What we see is that when Petraeus accomplished loads, you judged that you had the right and wisdom to go back in history and change how Petraeus ‘accomplished’ certain things. That’s judgment, for ya.

That is your opinion.

That is not an opinion, Cass. That is what is known as an ecclesiastical point of dogma. Step warily here, Cass, lest you be kicked out for being a heretic. Persecution and the fires of Hel await those like Kurtz who step out of the circle.

Now that’s an interesting prejudicial argument against Alaska. Didn’t know these attitudes still existed after the Civil War and Small states vs Large states.

Did you know, Cass?

That got Xed out by Jeffrey making fun of Pallin’s response to the VP schedule question.

I never knew helping slum lords in Chicago bust out and freeze tenants was a positive experience to have on your resume these days. Suddenly it seems the more people you hurt and the more people are hurt by your corruption, it translates into more experience.

Only to the extent that she didn’t factor in how many Jeffreys are in the world who will take advantage of such things for their own purposes.

When you’re part of Chicago’s corruption machine, Cass, you’d be surprised at the amount of territory you can ‘run’.

But regardless, her experience still completely eclipses Obama's.

And remember Cass, you’re starting off with not knowing her or her record. Statistically, calculate how much you will know more concerning Obama’s previously unknown ‘experience’ compared to Palin, in the next year or two.

OK, well: what does Dick Cheney do every day? Seriously?

Kills enemies of the state and enemies of the humanity with his eyes, mind, and trigger finger. What else?

Whatever the hell he wants, after he's done laying out Bush's day.

Cass, I hope that didn’t really surprise you by now ;)

Guess I lied!

That’s okay, we don’t really care about that. You’re our Obama and we don’t want to step too far out of line in the circle dance, yanno.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 29, 2008 03:05 PM

Okay, how about:

Wednesday night the Democrats put a former state legislator with zero foreign policy experience at the top of their Presidential ticket.

And my name is "Elise". I don't know what a Rogerian therapist is, can't carry a tune in a bucket, and have never personally slain a vampire.

As for Wooten, as you point out it's been common knowledge for quite some time. It's interesting McCain picked her anyhow.

Posted by: Elise at August 29, 2008 05:16 PM

*passing the popcorn bowl to Elise*

Posted by: BillT at August 29, 2008 05:48 PM

"Besides, clarification only leads to terminal depression."
Might explain why I'm always so darned chipper. Well mostly. Clear as mud I are.
"Saves the aggravation of discovering you should have packed the Remington instead of the Ruger."
Any job openings for a fellow my age with a titanium enhanced spine packin' his own exo-skeleton with a bit of marksmanship ability?
"*passing the popcorn bowl to Elise*"
Don't... Bogart that popcorn Elise. Pass it over to me... And pop me another one, just like the other one...

Posted by: bt_careful-with-that-axe-Eugene_hun at August 29, 2008 06:31 PM

You want butter on that, bt?

Posted by: Elise at August 29, 2008 06:36 PM

Discriminating palate, have, I don't. =8^}

Posted by: bt_careful-with-that-axe-Eugene_hun at August 29, 2008 06:44 PM

Prolly. I've got a kevlar patch holding my insides -- uhhhh -- inside, so they could put us together and we'd make a bulletproof combat JOAT.

Posted by: BillT at August 29, 2008 07:27 PM

*passing the popcorn bowl to Elise*

What is this top secret bowl of ambrosia you are seeking to pass around, Bill?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 29, 2008 10:53 PM

*passing fresh bowl of hot popcorn to Ymar*

The PX/BX finally got nuke-it popcorn in. We built a firepit in a corner of the T-wall and pop it over an open fire, instead.

No, we don't stick the bag right in the fire...

Posted by: BillT at August 30, 2008 03:51 AM

No, we don't stick the bag right in the fire...

Then how do you know that domestic insurgents didn't plant an IED in the bag if you don't open it by sticking it into the fire?

If you got the popcorn shipped in from some place like indian, then yeah, I can get why you don't have to be so cautious.

And btw, doesn't pop corn violate a silent/cold camp or something ; ) Or is this the newest way to lure insurgents in on isolated camp fire parties of clueless (waiting in ambush) Americans?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 30, 2008 04:47 PM