« Friends | Main | The Media's Pro Obama Bias, By The Numbers »

August 04, 2008

Important Culture Update

The Editorial Staff wish to announce an Important Art Update from the great state of Iowa. Thanks to the vigilance of a County Judge, the Important Art Form Commonly Known as Nekkid Dancing remains legal in Fremont County, Iowa:

Nude dancing remains an art in Iowa.

A judge Friday ruled in favor of a nude dancing club owner charged with violating Iowa's indecent exposure law.

Fremont County Judge Timothy O'Grady said prosecutors failed to prove the club wasn't a theater. Iowa law allows nudity at theaters, museums and other venues devoted to the arts or theatrical performances.

The county's attorney, Margaret Johnson, charged club owner Clarence Judy after a 17-year-old girl climbed on stage at Shotgun Geniez in the tiny town of Hamburg and stripped off her clothing.

"I think it's a little scary," said Johnson, who emphasized that the girl was still a minor.

The club was sold Monday to Terry Rutledge. He expressed confidence that nude dancing would remain legal, referring to a 1998 case in Davenport that found it an art.

"In all actuality, you don't have to be a theater hall, concert hall or anything. You can be a strip club that has nude dance," Rutledge said.

We here at VC confess to our profound relief at this development. We cannot overstate our deep and continuing support for the role of Art in our public schools.

Why, just think how much poorer we would be as a society if the long arm of the law were to stifle the entirely beautiful and natural desire of young, nubile girls to tear off their clothing and express themselves in an Artistic manner for the enjoyment of Others.

Especially if they happen to be the local Sheriff's niece.

Key quote:

Murphy noted that the club has a gallery selling collectible posters and other art, and it provides patrons with sketch pads.

Iowa: where patrons of the Arts gather to enjoy the finer things in life.

Posted by Cassandra at August 4, 2008 07:28 AM

Comments

Cool.

So, this means I can write off all those dollar bills I tucked into all those G-strings as a tax-deductible contribution to The Arts, right?

Theoretically.

Ummm -- just like the theoretical dollar bills and the theoretical G-strings...

Posted by: BillT at August 4, 2008 08:22 AM

We will know that it is art when the National Endowment for the Arts starts awarding grants to fat and ugly "artists" who can't make it in the private marketplace.

Posted by: Pile On at August 4, 2008 09:04 AM

"Fat" artists? Everyone knows that the starving Picassos and Klees of the Inner City are the only "fat" artists on the contemporary scene -- you racist!

Posted by: BillT at August 4, 2008 09:19 AM

Don't you mean phat?

Posted by: Pile On at August 4, 2008 10:00 AM

Yeth.

Posted by: BillT at August 4, 2008 10:09 AM

Gives new meaning to the word "Endowment"!!

Thanks MOM!

For DAD: That has to sting just a little. What she needs is a good spanking...

Posted by: vet66 at August 4, 2008 10:18 AM

Oh, right. Send up the Mistress Mandy Signal, why don'tcha?

Posted by: BillT at August 4, 2008 10:36 AM

Well, this seems wholesome: the sheriff has hit upon a way to ensure there are plenty of experienced court-artists in his county. Nothing could be better for encouraging lawful behavior and an orderly community. And if he's willing to let his own niece participate, it must be tasteful as well.

I can't see any problems here. No wonder we let the Iowans pick our President.

Posted by: Grim at August 4, 2008 10:41 AM

Indeed. I see nothing but symmetry here.

Posted by: Pablo Picasso at August 4, 2008 10:54 AM

Gee, my hootch is right next to a symmetry.

At least they don't throw loud parties...

Posted by: BillT at August 4, 2008 11:34 AM

That is why I always hated Live Drawing. Things kept moving around way too much...I never knew what I was sketching.

Posted by: Cricket at August 4, 2008 01:21 PM

I would not support a ban of adult entertainment as a political matter. Admittedly, I have a weak spot for your Japanese sports cars -- they are so petite and submissive.

Anyway, I find humorous the idea that nudie bar dancing is protected by the first amendment as "art." I guess if they went to the trouble of learning a few lines of from a play, we have to give them that? Have we really lost that much touch with reality?

There are a number of resturants I go to that give sketch pads and crayons to the children customers (there is no nudie dancing at those mind you). I guess those resturants now qualify as art houses.

Posted by: Hummer at August 4, 2008 02:52 PM

I guess those resturants now qualify as art houses.

Only if the waitresses do pole dances during their breaks.

Posted by: BillT at August 4, 2008 03:02 PM

"I guess if they went to the trouble of learning a few lines of from a play, we have to give them that?" There you go - just have the ladies recite a few lines from Macbeth while they do their "interpretive dancing".

Another thing I often wonder about: Why these emporia are often called "Gentlemen's CLubs".

Posted by: ZZMike at August 4, 2008 04:11 PM

I believe the phrase "putting lipstick on a pig" obtains ... :p

Posted by: Cassandra at August 4, 2008 04:16 PM

When a civilization is as prosperous as this one, you don't need definition for art for art can be seen anywhere. Art, after all, is just paid patronage to create works, whether of the Sistine Chapel or of paintings to decorate and provide visual improvement on mundane reality.

Given the wealth and riches available to America, almost anything is art, for not much these days are born of "necessity".

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 4, 2008 06:51 PM

Art, after all, is just paid patronage to create works...

I've been called an artist with the Mk66 rocket -- I got paid to do it, and the resulting fireworks were pretty spectacular. Didn't hang around long enough to sign the hulks, though, so I doubt there'll be much of a market after I die and become famous...

Posted by: BillT at August 5, 2008 04:30 AM