« In Kirkuk, Iraqi Women Form Thin Blue Line Against Terror | Main | It's Twue, It's Twue!!! »

August 20, 2008

Time Waster

Help us name our next grand child!

Posted by Cassandra at August 20, 2008 06:49 AM

Comments

First and/or first and middle names for young fellows:

Scout
Snarlin' Jack
Magwa
Chesty Puller
Fity Cal
Knuckles
Bear
Augustus
Caesar
Locomotive Breath

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at August 20, 2008 09:05 AM

Hah -- my female Samoyador Retreiver's named Scout.

Yeah, I *liked* "To Kill A Mockingbird" -- wanna make something of it?

Posted by: BillT at August 20, 2008 09:17 AM

Okay, so you liked to kill it - but it better be fresh, if you want me to make something out of it.

Posted by: socialism_is_error at August 20, 2008 09:59 AM

George Aloysius Sydney, or
Gina Alice Suzanne if it's a girl

Posted by: Doug W at August 20, 2008 11:13 AM

My sister, who says she named all of her children after idealized parental figures, named one son "Atticus" after (of course) Mr. Finch.

Posted by: Texan99 at August 20, 2008 11:48 AM

For a boy, you want to make sure he doesn't get beat up all the time in the schoolyard. To avoid this, I have found Viking names will garner lots of respect. Sigurd Foe-Cleaver, or perhaps Ivar the Bloody-handed, would work well here. A double-headed battleaxe, carried in a jaunty manner, completes the image.

Women: be very, very, very careful in naming boys. You will probably screw it up. I believe this accounts for the fey British poofter niche of names. Women love the british accent and effete mannerisms of, say, Hugh Grant, and so they horrifically name their kids Percival, Nigel, or Heathcliff. They believe this is sexy and women will eventually be throwing their panties at their hunk of a guy, when in reality he will be loving the cock. Then again, maybe you secretly want your son to give you fabulous makeovers and keep the house full of flower arrangements to DIE for.

Posted by: a former european at August 20, 2008 03:14 PM

Good Lord, afe...

I damn near died when I read that :p

*rolling eyes*

Personally, I tend to prefer big, quiet, rugged looking guys (IOW, not the kind with boyish looking features or pretty faces).

For instance, I think Tommy Lee Jones is attractive and no one could call him a handsome man. I don't really care all that much about hair either - I think men make way too much fuss about this. Some of the sexiest men I've seen don't have much. So what? I know some women think it's a big deal but not the kind who matter. That is superficial and shallow. If I want a boy toy, I'll look at a magazine.

If a man is comfortable with himself, and capable and smart, that is the most attractive thing to me. And the combination of strength and gentleness is pretty much irresistible.

Posted by: Cass at August 20, 2008 03:33 PM

I think men make way too much fuss about this.

John Edwards thinking of are we?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 20, 2008 03:40 PM

Yoda? Is that you?

Posted by: MikeD at August 20, 2008 03:46 PM

Bannakaffalatta.

Obviously.

How could you name the poor grandchild anything else?

Posted by: Obloodyhell at August 23, 2008 11:27 PM

A Percival who can't stand up for himself is a poor figure for his namesake. A bedtune reading of any of the Medieval poems about him should set the young lad right.

Of course, the British reduce it to "Percy." That's rather a different sort of name.

Posted by: Grim at August 23, 2008 11:33 PM