« Is Obama Politicizing Military Spouses? | Main | Is College a Waste of Time? »

August 13, 2008

What He Said

Word.

Posted by Cassandra at August 13, 2008 03:58 PM

Comments

Yes indeedy. I read this to the CLUs as they were laboring to aphabetize their spelling lists, diagram sentences and write a coherent essay.

Standard referece materials should be a good thesaurus, an excellent collegiate dictionary (Webster, Oxford and Cambridge publish some good ones, with my preference being the Oxford English Dictionary) and a quote book, as well as a poetry anthology.

See the white picket fence post for some outstanding suggestions of literature to read.

Posted by: Cricket at August 13, 2008 04:16 PM

I find my own writing suffers greatly when I don't have time to read (and I haven't had time to read for a long time now). It bothers me, but there are only so many hours in the day.

I'm not sure blogging has been the greatest thing in the world for my writing... :p Sometimes I read things I wrote years ago and can't believe they were written by the same person. There is a brain in here somewhere. If only I remember where I put it!

Posted by: Cassandra at August 13, 2008 04:29 PM

"Sometimes I read things I wrote years ago and can't believe they were written by the same person."

You don't suppose some personal development has occurred in the interim?

Posted by: socialism_is_error at August 13, 2008 04:44 PM

Well yes, but normally I'd like to think the development had been in a positive direction :p

I'm probably being unfair. Writing on the Internet is a bit different than writing a paper. On the other hand, I never wrote a rough draft of any paper I turned in and I always wrote my papers at the last possible second before they were due. The difference (I think) is that I had more time to think before sitting down to write. That, and perhaps my choice of reading materials.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 13, 2008 04:48 PM

No commnt.

Posted by: spd rdr at August 13, 2008 07:40 PM

The blog allows you to think about and write on subjects over and over again. So each individual session might not be as long as a formal writing session, but they are more numerous and thus produce more good habits or bad habits.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at August 13, 2008 09:54 PM

I think your writing is thought provoking. Many times I don't respond because you either articulate your position with clarity and thoroughness so comments are a 'superfluum,' or the post is a work in progress with updates.

Posted by: Cricket at August 14, 2008 08:22 AM

One of our battalion commanders became so frustrated with the egregious spelling and grammatical errors in most of the gazillion reports going forth to higher headquarters, he gave out Webster's Unabridged, Collegiate Editions as Christmas presents.

*sigh*

He gave me a new pair of flight gloves...

Posted by: BillT at August 14, 2008 08:35 AM

Heh.

You know how commands always give both serious and non-serious farewell presents to departing personnel. One of the perennial gag gifts that tends to come up when my husband leaves is some variation of a giant red/blue pencil :p

Posted by: Cassandra at August 14, 2008 09:01 AM

I'd take the compliment, BillT; after all, he didn't give you a manual on flying.

Posted by: socialism_is_error at August 14, 2008 10:07 AM

"...after all, he didn't give you a manual on flying.

That's because he knew Bill would've used it to practice making origami helicopters.

0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at August 14, 2008 12:09 PM

It's an epidemic. Take this paragraph from the article:

"The judge's was discussing a case at the Old Bailey which had been transferred from Wood Green Crown Court in North London."

(The Old Bailey has been transferred? That's certainly going to cause a bit of confusion.)

In defense of the hapless prosecutor:

"Last night Jack Bovill, chairman of the Spelling Society, defended the judge's actions but also pointed out that 'grievous' is a tricky word to spell."

"Spelling Society?" Good grief. In this country that would be a society devoted to the memory of a well-known TV writer and producer.

Maybe they've never heard of the old school-rhyme "I before E except [here it continues with the dozen or so exceptions]".

Rumpole (of the Bailey) would never have had these problems.

All is not lost, however. British academia is handling the problem with their usual calm efficiency:

"Dr Ken Smith of Buckinghamshire New University said common misspellings, such as 'Febuary', 'ignor' and 'speach' should be considered as alternative spellings."

Posted by: ZZMike at August 14, 2008 12:37 PM

Let me...heh.

"The judges were discussing a case that had been transferred from Wood Green Crown court in North London to Old Bailey."

Did I do it correctly?

Posted by: Cricket at August 14, 2008 01:14 PM

I die of the shame. I misspelled 'reference.'

I go now, to do penance at lolcats.

Posted by: Cricket at August 14, 2008 01:15 PM

No, but he *did* have me reformat the entire battalion SOP to match the Safety and Flight Standardization sections I wrote.

He later served as the unwitting subject of an experiment I did involving the simultaneous occurrence of engine failure, a number two hydraulics system failure, asymmetrical main rotor icing, stuck tail rotor pitch, and smoke and fumes in the cockpit while in instrument flight conditions.

Simulated, of course.

Posted by: BillT at August 14, 2008 02:19 PM

Practice?

Posted by: BillT at August 14, 2008 02:21 PM

It has been many years since I worked with a pompous PhD whose duties included the review of government documents, composed in our component, for qualities of spelling and grammar.

One day he issued a bulletin-board posting which stated that he approved of such-and-such, "except to note the mispelling of (I forget the word referred to)."

The temptation was irresistible. I fell.

Posted by: socialism_is_error at August 14, 2008 02:23 PM

Did you banish him to Mispellheim?

Posted by: BillT at August 14, 2008 03:32 PM

I lacked the authority.

I just echoed his posting with suitable amendment.

Posted by: socialism_is_error at August 14, 2008 04:26 PM

Too bad. I could have put in a good word for you with the Midgaard serpent...

Posted by: BillT at August 14, 2008 04:59 PM

I hear Heimdall can be a bear of a bouncer. He only lets the hot chicks into that new "Asgard" club.

Posted by: MikeD at August 14, 2008 05:36 PM

Hel's pretty hawt, I hear...

Posted by: BillT at August 14, 2008 06:13 PM