« Wednesday Morning Tunes | Main | While I'm Writing.... »

September 04, 2008

Palin's Speech

As Brad Plumer and nearly everyone else over at The New Republic notes before going on to bury the observation in caveats:

a "Just about every liberal I know thinks that Sarah Palin unleashed a terrifyingly effective speech tonight. ".

She did what she needed to do, which was show that she hasn't been rattled by the intense and unrelenting assault on her character and her family. She was calm, collected, and focused.

What this speech did was take the focus off how her opponents are trying to portray her and demonstrate that single minded sense of purpose that propelled her to that podium in Minneapolis/St. Paul. If anyone doubted why she was chosen (and I freely confess I wanted her to show me she has what it takes) I think last night's performance went a long way towards dispelling those doubts.

Oh yeah. Girlfriend can hang.

Video via StoptheACLU. Transcript of the speech here.

Posted by Cassandra at September 4, 2008 07:06 AM

Comments

I think we all wanted to know that, Cassandra. Not because she is a regressyve/progressyve, but because she now has COOTIES!

Let the campaign begin.

Posted by: Cricket at September 4, 2008 09:02 AM

She's a fine lady. Reminds me very much of my late mother-in-law who was from Alaska: or rather, of what I think she must have been like as a younger woman than I had the chance to know.

Posted by: Grim at September 4, 2008 09:16 AM

Her daughter was grooming the baby....that was hysterical. While she had me at special needs, she got me with the media not liking her lack of insider status.

Serving us? With our clinging to our guns and Bibles?

*thud*

Must finish watching speech...

Posted by: Cricket at September 4, 2008 09:21 AM

Palin gave them H*E* double hockey sticks.

Posted by: Cricket at September 4, 2008 09:28 AM

My Mom and I sat completely, joyfully engrossed. By the end of the speech, my Mom understood what I had been saying for the last few days -- McCain picked the right person for his VP. She could literally make the Chicago *dead* rise up and walk. And I don't think they wouldn't be voting for Obama.
Wow.

Posted by: DL Sly at September 4, 2008 09:59 AM

I liked how she stuck a couple into her "Democrat opponents".

Watch Reagan's 1980 Republican convention speech and you will see how close it resembles Palin's

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 4, 2008 10:38 AM

Reagan was absolutely firm on the matter of "Mr. Carter". He mentioned him by name. Palin didn't. Score.

Reagan also spoke about energy and how Carter refused to produce it.

Reagan spoke about how it was the responsibility of the Left, that the nation was messed up. That the American people are the source of our power and prosperity.

Palin's power comes exclusively from the people, as she is a populist. As VP, her power will only come secondary from McCain.

Barry thinks her power will depend upon McCain, but that's not actually true. You won't decrease her standing and influence by making McCain look bad or vice a versa.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 4, 2008 10:41 AM

I don't always agree with Peggy Noonan, but here is one place where I think she's astute.

The reason Palin is able to attack Obama more successfully than some is that she does it with a sense of joy and confidence rather than from rancor and weakness - it's Noonan's concept of the joyful warrior.

Bush has it, Reagan had it. It's a sense that the fight is worth engaging in for all the reasons that make life worth living: that there is a zest and a relish for ordinary existence that people can understand, as opposed to the nihlism and despair so often preached by the Left (everyone's beaten before they even start the race, you can't succeed unless the government bails you out, etc.).

It's "We can overcome", but with a conservative twist. Joy and faith replace anger and suffering.

Posted by: Cass at September 4, 2008 10:54 AM

Like someone over at Blackfive said, I am in love with a married mother of 5.

Posted by: HomefroNtSix at September 4, 2008 10:56 AM

Well, she almost lost me at first when she introduced her family 'again'. I was afraid her speech would just be an updated version of the speech she gave when she was announced as McCain's pick. Besides, between her initial introduction and what has been in the media, I know more then I want to know about her family!

However, after that, I was impressed. She balanced the need to attack Obama (and the liberal media) with humor and intelligence. She made a good case for national defense and energy policy. Overall it was a good first step for her.

On a funny note, I was listening to a local radio show today as they discussed the speech when a caller "claiming" to be an independent who was interested in learning about her complained that she never addressed how she would solve the housing crises, medicare, health care and inflation (since current inflation is mostly the result of energy costs, I would argue that she did cover it). Hew concluded that in his opinion she didn't make a case for why she is qualified. One of the hosts asked if he remembered what Obama said he would do about those issues during his speech last week ... the guy got flustered and said: "I'm not talking about Obama I'm talking about Palin".

Posted by: Frodo at September 4, 2008 11:08 AM

I actually thought the family part was a net plus for her.

I loved that her husband was all smiles. So often a man is not comfortable with a strong wife. He seems so sure of himself - so strong and confident in who he is, yet totally supportive and proud of her. I was half in love with him by the end of that speech.

It takes a strong, strong man to love a strong woman and not worry about being eclipsed by her. Todd Palin is clearly that man. There is nothing sexier on God's green earth.

Posted by: Cass at September 4, 2008 11:31 AM

I loved that about him, and when he stood, he handed that sweetie off to his daughter and she took that little guy without missing a beat. Clearly, unity, support and love at work in that family. He was just BEAMING before and after she introduced him.

Her son..he got to me too. Although...the baby grooming had them all beat.

Posted by: Cricket at September 4, 2008 12:10 PM

Frodo,

FWIW, While reading the reactions to Governor Palin's speech last night on other than conservative forums and blogs, I have come to the conclusion that the caller you mention is parroting the latest progressive talking points. I've read the same complaint over and over again.

Evlyn Wudhead Sped Readin' an Comprenshun Gradjates, no doubt.

Posted by: bt_bitter&clingy_hun at September 4, 2008 12:18 PM

The speech was written by the BEST of the Republican operatives yet everyone white is acting as though Palin wrote the speech herself. Didn't you listen to her first speech when she talked about being a hockey mom and her voice went up several decibels each time she tried to make a point. Even her joke in her first speech [about giving her husband a special "gift" for their wedding anniversary] went over like a big thud. Still she repeated it in her second speech with McCain. But once those big named Republicans got ahold of her, THEY are the ones who turned THEIR speech into something other white people would declare as "Wonderful." I felt as though I had been let in to a Ku Klux Klan rally; everyone was white and angry that a black man DARED to even be in this election when all blacks should know that they are not supposed to vote at all. Wasn't that the reason for the poll tax of last week? But to lie on Obama like that was unforgiveable. I thought Palin was a Christian; if so, how could a Christian lambaste someone for having been a community organizer and then state clearly that Obama had never done any actual work {as, of course, she had.) Obama was castigated for being smart, for having graduated at the top of his class [while John McCain had graduated at the bottom of his and would NEVER have been accepted into anyone's Naval Academy had it not been for his father.] How could Obama be smeared by Guiliani for not having been the hero of 9/11 as Guiliani says he was? Wasn't it Guiliani who put his offices in harm's way even though he had been advised not to so his offices were IN the Trade Center Buildings all because of Guiliani, himself? Palin was FOR the Bridge to Nowhere before she changed her mind after hearing all the criticism. So small was her campaign that Palin won the position as mayor with 671 votes. And for governor, all she needed was 114,000 votes to WIN !!!!!! How is she BETTER than Obama? [Forget Guiliani who is not BETTER than ANYBODY !] And, for Pallin to suggest that John McCain who was SHOT DOWN OVER HANOI, VIETNAM has suffered hardships that no one else has sounds a lot like Palin is starring in GIDGET GOES TO WASHINGTON WITH MCCAIN. Joe Biden lost his wife and infant daughter in a car accident. Years later, he suffered TWO brain aneurysms. Is McCain the only person in the world to suffer. And I am so tired of his war hero crap; we should NEVER have been in Vietnam in the first place. And, since we WERE in Vietnam, why are we now friends with them while so many of our American soldiers are sleeping in their graves because of Vietnam. McCain has had three outbreaks of cancer, but Tony Snow DIED of cancer. Stephanie Tubbs-Jones DIED at 58 and McCain just celebrated another birthday. That convention was filled with old white people who are mean and who cling to their guns and it looked just like a Klan rally and if they are elected, that is what this country is GOING BACK to as they promise.

Posted by: Regina Robinson at September 4, 2008 12:30 PM

So... you didn't like her speech then?

Posted by: MikeD at September 4, 2008 12:33 PM

Dear Lord, Regina :p

Did we forget to take our meds this morning?

Posted by: Cass at September 4, 2008 12:34 PM

Rather than waste the time necessary to address each opinion *cough* *cough* you offer Regina, I'll offer an opinion of my own.

Your comment gives meaning to the phrase, bitter and clingy.

Have a nice day.

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at September 4, 2008 12:44 PM

I think we need an extended post on why Cass thinks Todd Palin is hot.

Posted by: TigerHawk at September 4, 2008 12:48 PM

And, since we WERE in Vietnam, why are we now friends with them...[?]

Same reason we're now friends with the Iraqis, the Germans, the Japanese, the French, the English, and the Spanish.

The war we fought with each of them is over.

Posted by: BillT at September 4, 2008 12:53 PM

A nice speech by a natural. She's tough, and she can play. Now she'll get to go out for one on ones with the press, who've already demonstrated that they "play for the other team" in many ways. Think Andrew Sullivan etc. I think she'll do okay there. I'm waiting for her to field dress that old Senate moose Joe Biden in the V.P. debate.

As John Fogerty sang in "Centerfield" "Put me in coach, I'm ready to play." She's ready--doesn't mean she'll win the game, but she's ready.

Will it be good enough to beat the Styrofoam column team? I don't know.

But at least we've got a race with two legitimate (well in the Dem's case sorta legitimate) teams of contenders. Like any good Presidential campaign it's going to be a rousing brawl with a lot of elbows thrown. But for goodness sake when the voters have made their choice in November, let's hope the losers don't pollute the political atmosphere with claims of stolen elections. I believe that Al Gore did more damage to the Republic than anyone since maybe Jefferson Davis and the Copperhead Democrats. The graveyards of Chicago rose up to put John Kennedy in the White House (well maybe each the blue bonnets in Texas voted in that election as well). Richard Nixon took his licking and didn't challenge the results. If Al Gore had been as much of a patriot as Richard Nixon, our political atmosphere would not be so poisoned. Al did more damage than global warming ever will.

Posted by: Mike Myers at September 4, 2008 01:21 PM

Please. race had NOTHING TO DO with Palin's speech. She is giving Obama the courtesy of not underestimating their campaign. In other words, the McCain campaign is treating them like worthy adversaries. That says 'R-E-S-P-E-C-T.'

She is tackling him on the ISSUES, or the MESSAGE, not attacking the messenger.

Posted by: Cricket at September 4, 2008 01:45 PM

Regina -

Paragraphs, please.

Posted by: MathMom at September 4, 2008 01:47 PM

I think Regina might be a hit & run, so I'm not sure responding to her is worth the effort. Still...there is no basis for her assertion that the "everyone was white and angry that a black man DARED to even be in this election when all blacks should know that they are not supposed to vote at all." Who even implied that, ever?

No one castigated him for being smart. He's being castigated because he's a thinly disguised socialist, and that is the greatest point of contention between the left and the right. The left is entrenched in their efforts to solve the nation's problems with socialist policies, and the right is firmly against that kind of non-solution.

It's about policy, and what kind of solutions our candidates have for today's problems--not race, not gender.

Posted by: April at September 4, 2008 02:05 PM

"...thinly disguised socialist..."

Midway quote:

"Thin?? It's damn near invisible."

Posted by: socialism_is_error at September 4, 2008 03:10 PM

By the way Ms. Cass, I do have one challenge for you:

Just go to show you, all absolutes are ALWAYS wrong. ;)

Posted by: MikeD at September 4, 2008 03:16 PM

Ah, Mike, you win. That would be sexier.

Posted by: April at September 4, 2008 03:28 PM

Nope, that would've just been *me*.

Posted by: BillT at September 4, 2008 03:45 PM

Three years ago, anyway.

Posted by: BillT at September 4, 2008 03:46 PM

I've read the same complaint over and over again.

You'd think that if the Leftist totalitarian restards had a clue, they would stop that kind of hive mind propaganda style. It's kind of too obvious when it is juxtaposed against Democrat claims of liberty and individualism.

She is tackling him on the ISSUES, or the MESSAGE, not attacking the messenger.

The Left's brains are so rotted out by that meth amphetamine they call "belief", they can't even distinguish between ad hominems and substance arguments any more. I am not kidding; they have NO ability to distinguish between the two any more.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 4, 2008 04:11 PM

Oh, yes! Forget being in love with Sarah. I'm in love with TODD! *swoon*

Posted by: FbL at September 4, 2008 04:21 PM

Geez, we're running out of fainting couches in here.

bthun! Bring up the Army surplus air mattresses from the basement!

Posted by: BillT at September 4, 2008 05:31 PM

"What if it was a strong man like Todd Palin, and he was in uniform? Wouldn't that be sexier?"

Only if that uniform is Marine Corps dress blues.
But then, I may be just slightly biased in that opinion.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at September 4, 2008 06:38 PM

No. He'd be sexier if he was OUT of it.

Posted by: She-who-drools-a-lot at September 4, 2008 07:34 PM

Biden's sorta "out of it." Does that mean...

Posted by: BillT at September 4, 2008 07:41 PM

Bill, go back to your popcorn.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 4, 2008 09:22 PM

"Will it be good enough to beat the Styrofoam column team?" Mike Myers

Great line, Mike. Great form, no weight. That sums up an aspect of the Democratic Party ticket.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at September 4, 2008 09:54 PM

Thanks Ymar.

Posted by: She-who-drools-a-lot at September 4, 2008 10:33 PM

Only if that uniform is Marine Corps dress blues.
But then, I may be just slightly biased in that opinion.

0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at September 4, 2008 06:38 PM

No, it's a fair cop. Marines have the best dress uniform of all the services. But I gotta tell you Sly, my lovely bride always liked me in my BDUs.

Posted by: MikeD at September 5, 2008 12:07 PM

Dress uniform, schmess uniform.

I'll stick with the flight suit -- same mystique as the kilt, but without the potential for embarrassment in a wayward breeze.

And there *is* that whole 27" zipper thang...

Posted by: BillT at September 5, 2008 12:32 PM

And there *is* that whole 27" zipper thang...

Isn't that to ensure they can get you out of the plane if it crashes and gets compacted into a 40 by 40 inch cube?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at September 5, 2008 04:31 PM

Ahem.

There once was a young man named Doc,
Whose love life kept him up 'round the clock.
The ladies revered him,
And some of them feared him,
Because he had a nineteen inch... zipper on his flight suit.

Posted by: Grim at September 5, 2008 05:01 PM

LOL

Grim, I thought you were going to share a little Doug Clarke and the Hot Nuts Limerick with us for a moment there.

DC&THN band were quite risqué, in their day, along about when dirt was being perfected, and just about the speed of young college aged fellows with randy humor on their minds.

Refined it was not.

Posted by: bt_shakin'-the-bush-boss_hun at September 5, 2008 05:21 PM

This particular limerick is brought to you by a traditional British drinking song, called "I'm Getting A Bit Tonight."

A bit of pudding, mind you. Spotted Dick is a pudding.

Normally, the audience is required to swear an oath before the singing of the song promising to believe that "this is not a dirty song."

Posted by: Grim at September 5, 2008 05:35 PM

If he only had a 19" zipper on his flight suit, he was probably an Apache pilot -- they're all on the smallish side...

Posted by: BillT at September 5, 2008 06:14 PM

Spotted Dick is a pudding.

Not. One. Word.

Posted by: BillT at September 5, 2008 06:59 PM

A sausage is also a pudding...

*******************************

Biden's sorta "out of it." Does that mean...

Posted by: BillT at September 4, 2008 07:41 PM

Bill, I really didn't need that visual after wrestling with Sartre existentialism all day.

Posted by: Cricket at September 5, 2008 11:53 PM

Re: "spotted dick"

Anyone seen Shanghai Knights?

And, there is something about a man in uniform, whether it be some dress blues or BDUs or whatever...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at September 6, 2008 12:11 AM

Anyone seen Shanghai Knights?

Four times.

Cricket -- JPS is, if possible, even more incomprehensible in the original. I read Huis clos in '64 and it made less sense to me than the stuff the SDS plastered all over the dorm.

Posted by: BillT at September 6, 2008 01:47 AM

he was probably an Apache pilot -- they're all on the smallish side...

...says the man that flew Scooters...

Posted by: HomefrontSix at September 6, 2008 04:04 AM

No, I flew Little Birds, Huberts and Cobras.

The Sky Scooter is the *hack-ptoooo* OH-58A/C.

And I will not admit to having flown one on several occasions. I have to maintain *some* pride...

Posted by: BillT at September 6, 2008 04:36 AM

I submitted my reflective paper on cosmic hairsplitting and over analyses that is Modern Ethics.

I detest Sartre and I read him in English, but there is a certain likeability in existentialist humanism because even though it absolves one of God, it still forces you to be *koff koff* responsible for being human...so that is why we have idiots who kick God out of their lives but then define morality in their image and are all screwed up.

Bwahahahahahaha!

Posted by: Cricket at September 6, 2008 10:02 AM

Which is why I maintain that "Huis clos" translates better as "No Way Out" than "No Exit"...

Posted by: BillT at September 6, 2008 01:27 PM