« Snake Handling Jesus Phreaks | Main | Of Lipstick and Pigs »

September 09, 2008

Pilgrimage

Wow. Just wow:

After a VIP Fenway tour, the boys were introduced as honorary bat boys and posed with Wally behind home plate, and were shown on the Jumbotron.

Then they settled into their third-row seats. Their donors sat in the bleachers.

The Taylor boys bought rally monkeys and the Sox immediately scored twice. They sang "Sweet Caroline" like Fenway veterans. They good-naturedly teased a White Sox fan sitting behind them and did elaborate handshake routines when the Sox scored, which was often in an 8-0 rout.

And they thought about their dad.

"I miss his smile the most," said Mason. "But he's up there watching us. He's above the John Hancock sign."

Weston agreed.

"Yeah, he is up there . . . looking down at me and Mason and my other brother and my mom."

Jim Taylor watched his grandchildren and put it all into perspective.

"I know this is what my son would have wanted," he said softly. "What's really important in life is your family. You've got to cherish your family because you don't know if today or tomorrow you won't be here. These boys had the dream of their lifetime. They'll always remember all these people. It's a once-in-a-lifetime thing. And we are indebted to you folks for the rest of our lives."

Me too.

And I don't even care about baseball.

Posted by Cassandra at September 9, 2008 02:54 PM

Comments

Red Sox rule!

Posted by: Frodo at September 9, 2008 03:40 PM

Ppppphhhhhtttthhhh :)

It was a great story, wasn't it?

More here. Some great photos of very excited little boys.

Posted by: Casserole at September 9, 2008 03:44 PM

Nice to hear a story about kids and baseball. I believe they are correct about Dad and the John Hancock Sign.

Posted by: vet66 at September 9, 2008 04:47 PM

Red Sox nation came through. Great! Great story about a great family and the Dad they miss!

Posted by: DougW at September 9, 2008 06:19 PM

And my boys' father walked away from us because he couldn't give up his college-student mistress.

We are our choices...

Posted by: goddessoftheclassroom at September 9, 2008 06:40 PM

I'm sorry. That's an awful thing to have to live with. I hope that you will find someone worthy of your trust, and your love.

I have said before that if something happened to my husband, I doubt that I would marry again because I would already have had the best.

It would be hard for me to trust someone else as fully as I trust him. But I do hope you'll make the effort, for you deserve happiness, lady :)

Posted by: Cassandra at September 9, 2008 06:46 PM

Forty-one years I've being a Red Sox fan, and I don't think that I've ever been more proud of my club.

Yes,sir, it's only a game.

Posted by: Right Field at September 9, 2008 08:57 PM

Posted by: Cassandra at September 9, 2008 09:03 PM

I keep coming back for the most amazing human insights into life. You find the most dazzling examples. I certainly remember my first ball game at the tender age of 5. What a day!

Posted by: Curtis at September 9, 2008 11:16 PM