« The Forgotten Voter? | Main | Monday Day Brightener »

September 08, 2008

Sacre bleu! Has anyone informed Senator Obama?

... France's education minister yesterday admitted for the first time that the secret to success is speaking better English.

Xavier Darcos claimed poor English is now a 'handicap' because all international business is conducted in the language, and said French schools would offer extra lessons during the holidays.

He also admitted that, because of globalisation, very few people outside France will being able to speak French in the future.

Keeping up with world events can be a tricky business.

Posted by Cassandra at September 8, 2008 08:59 AM

Comments

I will be happy to go to France and assist with the teaching of English.

Posted by: Cricket at September 8, 2008 09:32 AM

This is painful to watch. A blond with a hick accent. Good hell...that's just called bein' a woman...I need to go watch a train wreck. I'm 'Hungry?' HunGARy.

The train wreck would be less painful.

Posted by: Cricket at September 8, 2008 09:37 AM

Actually, the painful part is

1) the international language of business is English
2) Some French business people speak it well, some not so well
3) When someone from France journeys to a country where English is, again, the second language (let's say, China, for instance) the possibilities for misunderstanding is pretty likely.
Hilarity ensues. Not.

But the French are a proud people, and the likelihood of them admitting this is pretty low. I speak from personal experience.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at September 8, 2008 10:02 AM

I know Frenchmen who have a better extemporaneous command of English than the Obamessiah.

That said, I know a *great* spot for l'école anglaise de Mme Criquette in Pouligny-Montrachet...

Posted by: BillT at September 8, 2008 10:19 AM

I've spoken English with Frenchmen in China. I can speak French -- far better in those days, as I was closer to my education in it -- but they didn't ask. :)

Posted by: Grim at September 8, 2008 10:28 AM

Good Lord, being in a train wreck would be less painful.

Posted by: socialism_is_error at September 8, 2008 10:28 AM

Now, on the other hand, I had to speak French with the Africans in China. So really, it depends on where you want to do business: there are parts of Africa where English is still largely unknown, but French is widely spoken.

Posted by: Grim at September 8, 2008 10:29 AM

Kerry must be having a meltdown right about now. The problem with speaking French in busines matters is that, like having French sex, it is all talk and no closure. It is also difficult to perform when a gauloise is hanging down from french lips pursed in a disdainful pout. It brings Camus to mind as in the Myth of Sysiphus. The rocks are forever rolled to the top of the mound and then rolling back down.

Pass the gauloise....

Posted by: vet66 at September 8, 2008 11:12 AM

If you can speak English, French, German, Latin, and a smattering of Urdu and Serbo-Croatian, you can get along fine pretty much anywhere.

Posted by: BillT at September 8, 2008 11:25 AM

Pouligny-Montrachet...

I'll take it! Long as I get to take some cooking classes!

I only ever learned german, one of the three languages you can spit in...

Posted by: Criquette at September 8, 2008 02:00 PM

"... a smattering of Urdu and Serbo-Croatian..."

Kudos for that one.

"... german, one of the three languages you can spit in."

Mark Twain once complained that he started to read a mystery novel in German, but had to stop because all the verbs were in the last few pages, and those were torn out.

The whole thing reminds me of Obama's quote that Americans are so "déclassé" because we only speak Enlgish, whereas the Europeans all speak at least 20 languages. He went on to say that we would be ever so much better off if we'd learn Spanish.

Becuase then our illegal immigrants wouldn't have to learn English.

Posted by: ZZMike at September 8, 2008 02:20 PM

She sure sings well though. This young lady's name is Kelli Pickler and I believe she was on one of those TV talent shows.

Posted by: unkawill at September 8, 2008 03:49 PM

...like having French sex, it is all talk and no closure.

You're doing it wrong.

Posted by: BillT at September 8, 2008 03:54 PM

Are we to understand you are offering the lessons, cherie?

Posted by: Casserole at September 8, 2008 04:01 PM

Emphasis mine:

> ... , very few people outside France will being able to speak French in the future.

BWAAAAAhahahahha....

And thanks to the Germanic system of Indoctrin--- Sorry, "Education", few will be able to speak English in the future, either.

LOL.

Posted by: Obloodyhell at September 8, 2008 04:26 PM

> I will be happy to go to France and assist with the teaching of English.

Would you take Alec Baldwin with you? He's still here. We can't get rid of him. And keep a place for Susan Sarandon, I hear she's just disgustipated with us Red-ies, too.

Posted by: Obloodyhell at September 8, 2008 04:28 PM

> I know Frenchmen who have a better extemporaneous command of English

And, to be utterly honest, better than George W. Bush, as well... :o)

Posted by: Obloodyhell at September 8, 2008 04:29 PM

> Are we to understand you are offering the lessons, cherie?

Watch out, he claims to be a cunning linguist, but the chances are, he's over-rating his ability.

:o)

Hey!
Hey!
*Someone* had to make the joke!!

Posted by: Obloodyhell at September 8, 2008 04:33 PM

I laughed,
I cried,
Then outta nowhere some indignant woman in a beret, smoking a funny looking black cigarette stomped in, screamed salopard! and slapped me across the face?? As if I had made the joke.

Posted by: bthun at September 8, 2008 05:07 PM

...but the chances are, he's over-rating his ability.

Need references?

Posted by: BillT at September 8, 2008 05:16 PM

I don't have room for Alec Baldwin and Susan Sarin-don. I did not coin that name for her; that was years ago at TOB. If Alec and Susie crave French culture let 'em eat Yoplait...but I would have to tranquilize them both for the trip in the pet carrier.

Greek yogurt is way better.

Posted by: Cricket/Lynch Family Dog at September 8, 2008 05:37 PM

If his linguist abilities are anything like his flying ability...well, I doubt he's over-rating anything.

Posted by: maison-avant-six at September 8, 2008 05:51 PM

Well, say what you want but it takes a lot of courage for someone that dumb to go on "Are You Dumber Than a Sack of Fifth Graders".

She's a good sport, and I for one like the cut of her jib.

Posted by: Pile On at September 8, 2008 08:48 PM

1. She doesn't know she's dumb, Pile.

2. You like her b/c she's blonde and...

3. Oh never mind.

Posted by: Casserole at September 8, 2008 09:23 PM

Oh come now Cass, I am a teacher, me know stupid. Anyone that dumb who doesn't know it is what we call an admistrator.

Posted by: Pile On at September 8, 2008 10:02 PM

That's "administrator".

Sheesh.

Teachers.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at September 8, 2008 10:15 PM

Well uh yeah I suppose, but then I am not a maff teacher. *

*please don't ask what that means or I will have to embarrass an admistrator.

Posted by: Pile On at September 8, 2008 10:41 PM

Kelli Pickler was one of the finalists on American Idol a few years back. I suspect the "dumb blonde act" is just that, an act. And she's very good at it.

Her music career is doing just fine, BTW.

Posted by: yak at September 9, 2008 12:55 AM

Actually, yak, it's not an act. She's just a country hillbilly raised in a very rural area. (Yeah, they still exist.) There were several instances of naivette for which she was chided on air - ie. not knowing what a salmon was, how to pronounce it correctly (she would vocalize the "l") and nor what a "minx" was.

Posted by: DL Sly at September 9, 2008 03:07 AM

Is a naivette a female naive or just a miniature one?

Posted by: BillT at September 9, 2008 06:35 AM

Yep
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at September 9, 2008 11:17 AM

Thanks, Doc Lady. I'd hate to have used it in the wrong contextte.

Posted by: BillT at September 9, 2008 01:10 PM

What you saw demonstrated in the video was not properly stupidity. It was ignorance. The poor thing very clearly had a sub-par education. If she DID have a good education and failed to take advantage of it (i.e. "I'm a pretty blonde and I don't have to learn anything because boys will take care of me") then yes, THAT would be stupidity.

Ignorance is no shame, for it can be fixed. Stupid is forever.

Posted by: MikeD at September 9, 2008 01:42 PM

I guess, Mike.

But honestly. "I thought Europe was a country?"

Where has she been all her life, Mars? I am not sure that is education.

I'm sorry for being a punk, but I had to laugh at this.

Posted by: Casserole at September 9, 2008 01:51 PM

You know what the funniest thing about all of this is?

Until someone said, "Kellie Pickler" (and I Googled the name) I had no idea who the blonde was. I only found that video by chance and thought it was funny.

Posted by: Casserole at September 9, 2008 01:53 PM

"I'm sorry for being a punk,..."
Posted by: Casserole

Sooooo........does that make you a Punk Casserole? What are the ingredients for that dish? Do you bake it at 350? For how long? I'd hate to take it out too early and have it be.....

(wait for it)

Half-baked.
heh
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at September 9, 2008 04:49 PM

But honestly. "I thought Europe was a country?"

Where has she been all her life, Mars? I am not sure that is education.

Yeah, I didn't buy it either, but hell, I was giving the vacuous thing the benefit of the doubt.

Posted by: MikeD at September 9, 2008 05:53 PM

Based on your reaction (and Pile's) I'm about ready to dye my hair blonde and have a boob job :p

On second thought... NAH. Can't handle JHD!

/AND I'M OUTTA HERE!!!!

Posted by: Kelli Pickens Bratty Older Sister at September 9, 2008 05:57 PM

Oh gods no... there's nothing remotely attractive about being vacuous. I was merely extending her the same courtesy I do to everyone. I do not assume people are stupid when they might merely be ignorant. I'd give anyone the benefit of the doubt, but yeah... even I couldn't buy it with little miss what's-her-face. You'll note in the original post I even wrote what I suspected was the reason she was not well educated:

That's a bit less charitable, but darned if I don't believe it to be the case.

On to the blonde thing, while I do know some who prefer blondes, I personally do not. And while I am agnostic on plastic surgury, I will not insult your intelligence by suggesting that I do not admire a nice set of mammaries. I'm male like that.

Posted by: MikeD at September 10, 2008 11:23 AM

I'm about ready to dye my hair blonde and have a boob job

Well, we know how that would turn out, *don't* we?

It's all over, folks, move along, nothing to see, keep moving...

Posted by: BillT at September 10, 2008 11:30 AM

I was just teasing you, Mike :)

Ladies do that when they particularly like someone :p

And Bill....

*cough*

Oh never mind. You're the reason I get from Abu Dhabi on 'blondes ginormous b00bs'.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 10, 2008 11:44 AM

That reminds me... I need to check the nitrogen in the new/improved old sports car's tires! =8^\

Posted by: bthun at September 10, 2008 12:07 PM

I was just teasing you, Mike :)

Ladies do that when they particularly like someone :p

Yay! But seriously, I did feel I needed to clarify so as not to reinforce the stereotype that men prefer ditzy blondes. I know that there are men who do, I do not. To me, a smart woman is MUCH more attractive than a ditz. To use a food analogy, candy is sweet, but red meat is much more satisfying. Someone pretty is what you look at. Someone with substance is what you love.

Posted by: MikeD at September 10, 2008 01:17 PM

And Bill....

*cough*

*oooooof!*

*gasp*

A li'l early warning before you do that again, please?

Posted by: BillT at September 10, 2008 01:21 PM

Well, that is nice to hear.

I remember once when I got a bit discouraged over something I read at Ace of Spades and asked my husband if all men really think that way. He told me that sure, men like to look at pretty women but they can make the mental distinction between looks and qualities that make someone worth loving, and they don't necessarily desire the former more than the latter.

It's probably a measure of my general naivite, but that made me happy and I left him alone, which is probably all the poor man really wanted :) I really am too easy.

Posted by: Cass at September 10, 2008 01:24 PM

For one thing, don't sell yourself short. Yes, we men occasionally want 'to be left alone', but there are times it's absolutely fun for the bride to ask questions about "guys". It's a teaching experience (and makes our egos feel good for actually knowing something our wives don't, which is nice for a change). I love explaining "guy rules" to my wife.

Like, if there's one guy in the bathroom, you are obligated to take the urinal furthest from him, you only take the urinal next to another guy if the only other option is a sink. Or the one about if your buddy asks if it's ok for him to take out your ex-girlfriend, you MUST say yes, even though he's completely wrong to even ask. I love trying to explain that kind of stuff to her.

Posted by: MikeD at September 10, 2008 02:15 PM

Well she might be a touch on the ringy side
but she has lot's of money and a good heart.
that is a hell of a lot better than folks
like Obama and his ilk!!