« Caring and Sharing with Obama | Main | Perception »

October 16, 2008

Happy Birthday Dad

german-shorthaired-pointer.jpg

In my world, you will always be the king.

Posted by Cassandra at October 16, 2008 10:51 AM

Comments

Happy Birthday, Mr. Cassandra's Father!!!

Posted by: DL Sly at October 16, 2008 11:30 AM

That's a fine looking dog. Happy birthday to your father.

Posted by: Grim at October 16, 2008 11:35 AM

All of the above!

Oh yeah, many happy returns too.

Posted by: bthun at October 16, 2008 11:53 AM

For all the Naval heroes that have watched over this big dumb country, and done their tour, manned their watch, and kept the oceans free and safe; especially your Father, Cass.

You know this one, don't you?

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at October 16, 2008 12:43 PM

Happy Birthday

Ok, so it was for a President, not a King. It's the best I could do...

Posted by: HomefrontSix at October 16, 2008 01:01 PM

Great dog.

Reminds me of my German Shorthair, Potemkin, who was with me for 15 years.

Posted by: vanderleun at October 16, 2008 02:39 PM

Right down to the grungy tennis ball.

Posted by: vanderleun at October 16, 2008 02:39 PM

I have never known another person who had a German Shorthair!

We had two - our first was my first dog. Rebel. He was like the one pictured - he had the ticking and the saddle. I loved him so much.

He had to be put down. I cried so hard. I was only a little girl.

I used to sing songs to him, which probably made the poor dog long for death. But he was a good dog. He was gentle and he loved lunch meat, which I used to sneak out of my mom's refrigerator to give to him. He liked cheese, too.

And tennis balls.

Our second dog was Baron - he was dark brown with white paws and a slobbery tennis ball.

Posted by: Cass at October 16, 2008 02:44 PM

Oh I could tell you tales about Potemkin forever. What a great dog. Best I ever had.

Born and raised in Northern California. Runt of the litter. Could catch just about anything spheroid or frisbee shaped at impossible distances.

Strong. Gentle. Smart and most of all funny. A big, big soul. I still miss him.

Posted by: vanderleun at October 16, 2008 03:15 PM

Oh Don.

You made me cry.

Some day I will write about my father. Though in a way, every time I write anything about men, a little bit of it is about him. Every woman's first love is her father. That is how you learn what love and trust is all about.

Because of my father, I expect all men to be honorable and strong and good. And kind. Above all, kind :)

I cannot think of a finer thing to say about a man than that.

Posted by: Cass at October 16, 2008 03:37 PM

Felicitous Natal Anniversary, Cassie's Dad!

Ya done good...

Posted by: BillT at October 16, 2008 03:37 PM

I do not know how dogs wind themselves around our hearts, vanderleun. I only know that they do.

Posted by: Cass at October 16, 2008 08:54 PM

That's easy....
Dogs are unconditional love.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at October 16, 2008 09:59 PM

Cass ~ Sounds like your Dad and my Dad were cut from the same cloth.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at October 16, 2008 10:08 PM

I think the reason I love that photo of your Dad holding you so much is that it reminds me very much of a few of my Dad with me when I was very small :)

There is something almost unbearably sweet about a big man holding a baby.

Posted by: Cass at October 16, 2008 10:15 PM