« Prayers Requested | Main | Well Good Morning »

October 23, 2008

Coffee Snorters and other Assorted Musings

The media's asymmetrical warfare campaign against the McCain campaign continues. When was the last time you heard Joe Biden being "vetted" by NBC on the deeply germane question of how the Vice President would handle an unspecified, hypothetical foreign policy issue? Come to think of it, when was the last time you heard anyone in the media asking the Democratic Presidential candidate the kind of questions Sarah Palin gets asked routinely?

Someone? Anyone? If you're having trouble thinking of Biden encounters with the press this may help explain your confusion:

Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden was nearly the invisible man. His had just one large moment, the vice presidential debate, which also offered his only positive or neutral contribution. Aside from that week, the limited coverage he did receive was far more negative than Palin’s, and nearly as negative as McCain’s.

Biden hasn't held a press conference since September 7th. Some might be tempted to say that if your point man is so gaffe-prone he has to be quarantined from the press six weeks right before election day, maybe he's the one whose readiness for office the media ought to be questioning?

Either way, the American people get the message. Loud and clear.

463-1.gif

Posted by Cassandra at October 23, 2008 10:41 AM

Comments

Posted by: spd rdr at October 23, 2008 02:17 PM

Maybe I'm dim but I don't really see the problem with Palin's answer. It's certainly not brilliant but I don't think it reveals a total lack of understanding about the problem with Obama's approach. The link you gave seems to me to be back to splitting hairs over preconditions versus preparation which - if I remember correctly - was one of the ways Obama tried to slide out from under making his original commitment. The argument I saw that, "Well, of course, Obama is not just going to jump on a jet and fly off to Iran to negotiate" seems a little disingenuous since it seems to me that was exactly what he was promising to do when asked the question.

I wish Palin and Biden would do the same sort of event McCain and Obama did with Saddleback: same questions to each, not known beforehand. It would be fascinating.

As for the poll that shows 70% believe the media wants Obama to win, this is one of the things I do not understand about people who are voting for Obama. If 50% plan to vote for him and 70% believe the media wants him to win that means a minimum of 40% of the people who plan to vote for Obama realize the media is not unbiased. So why, oh, why, are they so totally uninterested in even exploring whether there is information about Obama they don't have?

Posted by: Elise at October 23, 2008 04:39 PM

Well, a majority of Americans might realize that the media's in the tank for the Messiah, but will it make a significant difference at the polls?

I enjoy this blog but normally I lurk rather than post. But a conversation I had yesterday with a vet who is an old friend of mine has been on my mind all day, and I wanted to run it past the folks here, since so many of you are military. I called a friend who was once my neighbor in Virginia to wish her happy birthday and her hubby answered. Jim M.. is a Marine Vietnam vet (something I always had a tough time picturing since he is normally the easiest going, most soft-spoken Virginian I know).We chatted a bit. Jim and Lori's eldest son enlisted in the USMC after 9/11. The son did 2 tours in Iraq and is home now. Jim said his youngest son, who is now 17, mentioned either enrolling in ROTC or applying to a service academy and Jim urged him not to. That surprised me, and I said "Really, Jim, don't you finally want to get an officer in the family?" (He joked for a long time that the men in his family have stepped up to the plate for every war America's ever fought, but nobody ever rose above the rank of corporal. They fought and came home and reentered civilian life. It's a military family, but not career military.)

He said, very bitterly, "no, we've done enough." He thinks Obama is going to win and we will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. And he said "let the people who call servicemen brutal, stupid rednecks start defending themselves. I'm sick of my people, my family, putting their asses on the line for people who don't give a damn. The folks in New York and Berkeley and DC and Beverly Hills give nothing, they insult the ones who fight and they just assume we'll always be around to serve as cannon fodder, if they toss vets a few crumbs. I'm tired of it. Let them defend themselves."

I can paraphrase his words, but not the intense anger in his voice. I can't say I blame him one bit, but I got off the phone and started thinking that if a lot of Jim M.'s are thinking along these lines and telling their kids "screw it, let someone sacrifice and suffer for a change," this country is in really deep trouble. What I'm wondering is if that is just one angry vet or if that sentiment is widespread among military folks.

Posted by: Donna V. at October 23, 2008 09:36 PM

The general attitude in the military is, "We volunteered to defend our countrymen. Those others are the type we get *paid* to defend."

Posted by: BillT at October 24, 2008 07:24 AM

"That's an astonishing 30% of registered voters who are either complete morons or delusional (margin of error plus or minus 30%)."
I suspect that a significant portion of that 30% reside in the 57th state. The great state of Oblivion.

Meanwhile the markets adjust to this once-in-a-century credit tsunami and the Dems, overwhelmed by the prospect of global pilgrims seeking and apparently funding HopenChange -Buddhists Monks bearing cash along with Mickey, Minnie, and let's not forget Goofy banging their Master Cards-.

All the while the Dems are claiming that the Bush admin's policies of deregulation caused the current tsunami... but did they really?
Bueller?
Bueller?

Now I hear that the Dem's want to nationalizing 401k plans! This attractive creature is a cash cow that many Dems think the Feds should manage. For our own good doncha know. Our buddies Hugo, Fidel, Vlad the Putin, et. al. should be mighty proud.

Come to think of it, that 57th state must be one of the more densely populated states in the union.

I can appreciate Jim M. sentiment. Oh yeah... As for me, I'm gonna hunker down and cling while bitterly wondering if Ayers 25,000,000 target figure is adjusted for inflation/deflation.

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at October 24, 2008 08:29 AM

I'm gonna hunker down and cling...

*grin*

Should be interesting to see them *try*.

They'll discover a whole new meaning to the phrase, "Red Storm Rising"...

Posted by: BillT at October 24, 2008 10:18 AM

The lefty elitists are appealing to the passions of the "dumb scum" Cloris Leachman was referring to in her segment on the French Revolution. That is the reason BHO speaks in soporific terms instead of facts as he rides the wave of hate these anarchists generate. BHO then claims plausible deniability and is not responsible for the fringe minority's rantings. Of course, he is the only one who benefits from the onslaught of personal attacks, libelous insults, and character assassinations these cretins perpetrate on his opponents.

If this scenario doesn't qualify as a conspiracy of marxists running from Chicago's mob to our institutions of higher learning; i.e. Princeton, Duke, Chicago (AYERS/Alinsky, et al, and the media I don't know what will.

Speaking as a "clinger" from Arizona, I am concerned that if BHO loses, or even if he wins for that matter, there will be a backlash that will involve class warfare and/or Watts Riots III. I hope I am wrong but I think the prudent among us will hope for the best and prepare for the worst. If you have "scheiser" in one hand and hope in the other, which one demands immediate attention?!

Posted by: vet66 at October 24, 2008 12:47 PM

Based Upon Registered Voter? That wouldn't be based upon Mighty ACORN registered voters would it?

*Thud*

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 24, 2008 10:35 PM

That's the good thing about Target Focus Training. In recession or in boom, in Democrat regimes or Republican coalitions, the same will always be true. The desperate will take what isn't defended and the just must be prepared to destroy outlaws.

We'll see who becomes an outlaw, though, in a couple of days.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 24, 2008 10:37 PM

Either way, the American people get the message

Technically I am not sure if you can call ACORn registered voters "American people". But I may be wrong, Cass.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 24, 2008 10:38 PM