« Obama's Change Gets Personal | Main | Perhaps It Sounded Wittier In The Original Phrench? »

October 22, 2008

It's "Name That Code Word" Time!!!!

In a rapidly-failing economy, the race for dwindling economic resources may well go to the Hating Haters Who Hate err .... that's not it. Let's try again: the race may well go to the Swift Boaters swift. In that spirit, the Editorial Staff in its much vaunted half vastity hath waded into the fevered swamps of Memeorandeum to fetch the peasantry a Shiny Thing:

The "socialist" label that Sen. John McCain and his GOP presidential running mate Sarah Palin are trying to attach to Sen. Barack Obama actually has long and very ugly historical roots.

J. Edgar Hoover, director of the FBI from 1924 to 1972, used the term liberally to describe African Americans who spent their lives fighting for equality.

Those freedom fighters included the Rev. Martin Luther King Jr., who led the Civil Rights Movement; W.E.B. Du Bois, who in 1909 helped found the NAACP which is still the nation's oldest and largest civil rights organization; Paul Robeson, a famous singer, actor and political activist who in the 1930s became involved in national and international movements for better labor relations, peace and racial justice; and A. Philip Randolph, who founded and was the longtime head of the Brotherhood of Sleeping Car Porters and a leading advocate for civil rights for African Americans.

McCain and Palin have simply reached back in history to use an old code word for black. It set whites apart from those deemed unAmerican and those who could not be trusted during the communism scare.

Shame on McCain and Palin.

Now we found ourselves somewhat confusicated by this, so we decided to avail ourselves of a few online references:

Main Entry: so·cial·ist Listen to the pronunciation of socialist Pronunciation: \ˈsō-sh(ə-)list\ Function: noun Date: 1827

1: one who advocates or practices socialism
2 capitalized : a member of a party or political group advocating socialism

This page collects several definitions, but cleverly omitted any reference to skin color (though Frenchness *was* referenced).

How conveeeeeeeeeenient.

Thus, since we can find no mention whatsoever of skin color in any online reference to Socialism, we may consider it proven that Socialist is indeed a surreptitious "code word" for "Black". Otherwise, of course, they'd mention it.

Right?

It occurred to the Editorial Staff in the course of our research that should Obama be elected in November, this could become another one of those growth industries: a veritable recession-proof career like the one we wrote about yesterday. We propose, consequently, that the Villainry seriously consider retraining in the soon-to-be-lucrative field of "Codespotting".

Many commonly used words are, in fact, "code words" which have long and very ugly historical roots, or dangerous double meanings audible only to the highly nuanced ear of the recently empowered Progressive. Faithful interpretation of our Constitution (especially the First Amendment, which grants all Americans freedom of expression, but only correct expression which does not create a hostile environment or run counter to the prevailing narrative - in which case it must not be discussed and SHAME ON YOU for asking inappropriate questions).

Did you think you were living in a country with a free press?

To assist the Villainry in this endeavor, the Editorial Staff have assembled a few examples of "code words" for your edification:

Feminist = Ugly, man hating Lesbian
Democrat = Unpatriotic al Qaeda sympathizer
White Male: Fascist, Gaia raping oppressor

We leave you to fill in the gaps.

Posted by Cassandra at October 22, 2008 06:43 AM

Comments

France=EU country from which the US and the rest of the world, excepting the UN, needs to get permission to not only play in the global sandbox but to deal with the bullies therein.

Posted by: Cricket at October 22, 2008 09:13 AM

Yes, you could say that Hoover called Robeson, Randolph, and DuBois socialists because they were black.

It's a lot more accurate to say that he called them socialists because they were socialists.

The jury's out on King. He didn't hang with socialists but a lot of his thinking ran down seriously socialist lines.

So, you know, there was all that.

Posted by: Jimmie at October 22, 2008 09:41 AM

It appears that there are a lot more synonyms for "black" than I was aware. On the other hand, I have recently learned that I am not a White Person -- at least, I seem to lack nearly all the distinguishing anthropological characteristics -- so perhaps the whole picture is different than I realized.

Posted by: Grim at October 22, 2008 09:47 AM

I'm just dying of embarassment being from KC..., like my boss said "all of those black people in Russia too huh?"

Posted by: Merry at October 22, 2008 10:11 AM

It occured to these people that:

In fact, if Obama wins on November 4th—and serves one full term in the Oval Office—the Presidency of the United States would be the longest consecutively held full-time job he has ever held without seeking another.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at October 22, 2008 10:14 AM

"Troops" - poor brave, murdering, brainwashed children whom we must "show support for" by saying the war is illegal and immoral, telling them they can't win, and trying to bring them home before the mission is complete.

This lifts their spirits.

Posted by: Cass at October 22, 2008 10:24 AM

Robeson was a Communist and I do believe that DuBois was considered to be one also. It was supposedly fashionable to be a Communist in some segments of American society in the 1930s and before, some like Robeson went overseas, to France amongst other places, to practice their strong dislike against American society.

Posted by: OldGrouchy at October 22, 2008 10:24 AM

...a veritable recession-proof career like the one we wrote about yesterday.

And the two have much in common. The semblance of action with no real substance -- but it makes you feel good.

Ummmmm -- when I said "you", naturally I wasn't suggesting that you, personally, would actually be a participant in the *former* recession-proof occupation -- uhhhh -- since I'm not conversant with your terpsichorean skills, but -- errr --

Oooh, look what's on TV!

Posted by: BillT at October 22, 2008 10:30 AM

...and who support John McCain 7-3, including those servicemembers who want Obama for the honest reason that they can then assure their children that they can really grow up to be President. Otherwise, better than 7-2.

Posted by: Grim at October 22, 2008 10:31 AM

Bill:

I am not of the opinion that a woman needs to have acrobatic skills in bed, nor a huge bag of tricks, to make a man happy.

I think a man really wants, more than anything else, is a woman who genuinely enjoys making love with him. Not just anyone, but him.

If she can forget about the way her thighs or her hair looks, or the fact that she isn't 19 anymore (and that is really hard to do these days) and concentrate on the way he makes her feel, that is enough. That's a hard thing for most women to learn, but I think it's very true: the oddest thing about men and sex seems to be that they are incredibly giving in bed. More than anything else, a good man enjoys feeling that he can please the woman he loves. If he does that, he feels like a king and he just soars like an eagle.

That's kind of hard for many women, because we are so focused on pleasing others - it can be truly difficult for us to just relax and let someone please *us* for a change. But so, so worth it. Of course, turnabout is always fair play!

Posted by: Cass at October 22, 2008 10:39 AM

FWIW, I'm not saying don't ever try anything new.

That would be boring.

I'm just saying that's the icing on the cake. Joy is the cake.

Posted by: Cass at October 22, 2008 10:42 AM

Of course, turnabout is always fair play!

But a little tough on the spinal column...

Posted by: BillT at October 22, 2008 10:50 AM

Sooooooooooooo dead :p

Posted by: Not touching that one at October 22, 2008 10:52 AM

*sigh*

Been talking to my wife again, haven't you?

Posted by: BillT at October 22, 2008 11:01 AM

Re the Bill and Cass interchange above; I've always believed that there was no substitute for enthusiasm--on the part of both players.

Posted by: Mike Myers at October 22, 2008 11:02 AM

Flexibility works too :p

Posted by: I'm gonna pay for this.... at October 22, 2008 11:16 AM

Some day I'm going to embarrass Bill.

Although on reflection, that may not be possible ...

Heh.

Posted by: I'm gonna pay for this.... at October 22, 2008 11:17 AM

Although on reflection, that may not be possible ...

Bingggg-go.

My sense of shame got shot off in Vietnam...

Posted by: BillT at October 22, 2008 11:24 AM

Funny, I didn't think that was located in the buttocks. Live and learn. ;)

Posted by: MikeD at October 22, 2008 11:41 AM

In fact, it is located there. The old Norse law on wergeld -- that is, the "blood-price" that you had to pay to settle disputes -- describes striking someone with a sword on the buttocks as "the shame stroke." It was fairly expensive.

Posted by: Grim at October 22, 2008 11:50 AM

Wow, I just keep learning and learning on VC. Here again I thought the "shame stroke" was what you suffered when you said or did something so stupid that you had an aneurysm.

Posted by: MikeD at October 22, 2008 12:21 PM

It is like I always say:

VC - it's *educational*.

[shaking head]

And you peoples do not take me seriously. I am hurt.

Deeply hurt by this.

Posted by: I'm gonna pay for this.... at October 22, 2008 12:54 PM

I DO take you seriously! As serious as a shame stroke. ;)

Posted by: MikeD at October 22, 2008 01:03 PM

I didn't think that was located in the buttocks.

Got *that* shot off, too...

Posted by: BillT at October 22, 2008 01:37 PM

C'mon Cass --

It doesn't really make for a good code word if you can look it up in a dictionary and it says: "also used by Republicans to refer to black people."

Thus, avoid the old time racial of words that begin with "n," reference to the hat Davey Crocket wore, the type of shovel you use to dig a hole, or primates of any kind. Bad code words, too obvious.

Good code words for the discerning Republican trying to say "look, the man you are about to elect is black," in addition to "socialist," "community organizer" and "welfare," include: ball point pen; playing pool without a cue ball; Chicago; rum and coke; malt liquor; Atlanta; hater; leather jacket; well spoken; endowment; government employee; inexperienced; protester; tax and spend; doctor, but only the Ph.D. kind; coffee drinker; athletic; pork by-products and rural liberal.

Feel free to use with proper attribution to me. Or you will be sorry.

Posted by: Keyser Soze at October 22, 2008 02:51 PM

Hey, I was born in "Atlanta." I must be black.

Posted by: Grim at October 22, 2008 03:09 PM

> Thus, since we can find no mention whatsoever of skin color in any online reference to Socialism

. LIAR!!

CLEARLY, you can find mention to skin color in an online reference to Socialism.

I had no trouble finding one at all.

Right here.

*snort*

*giggle*

You know, Bush lied, too. Pretty much the same damned way. That bastard!
:oD

Posted by: Obloodyhell at October 22, 2008 03:13 PM

You realize, "NO" is a codeword for racism...

It used to be said all the time by white slaveholding overseers to their black slaves whenever they asked for freedom, or justice, or a day off, or enough food to eat. That sort of thing.

Clearly, every time a white person says "No", they're thinking about oppressing black people. Even when black people are not involved.

Ya see, it all depends on what you mean by "No".

Did you learn NOTHING from the Clinton era?

Posted by: Obloodyhell at October 22, 2008 03:18 PM

It didn't start with the Clintons.

"Just say 'No'."

Insidious. And we never realized it at the time...

Posted by: BillT at October 22, 2008 03:33 PM

> and concentrate on the way he makes her feel, that is enough.

Those other things you mention certainly help catch a guy's eye in the first place. Keeping him happy within reason -- both in and out of bed -- is the key to maintaining it.

...And that goes just the same the other way, too.

I do think that, over time, one must guard against complacency, too. There's a tendency to fall into several patterns which I think negatively impact the relationship:

1) "S/He'll always be around. THIS thing is only here for a short while". i.e., taking them for granted. Never good in the long run.

2) "I was thinking about you when you weren't around". Little things which say this -- spontaneous flowers (most women like them -- exchange for what she does like if not) or other actions, or a thoughtful gift for guys (*you* know he's been eying that power tool but not really able to justify it -- or *should* have noticed)

3) "I still find you attractive". Even if S/He isn't what they were when you got married, one hopes that time and familiarity has kept something there. For guys, find some lingerie *she* will appreciate (i.e., not necessarily leather goods out of Fredericks of Hollywood, unless you're both pretty kinky), or surprise him at the door wearing not much (caution regarding the neighbors and that co-worker they brought home unannounced... LOL). You get the point, even if these ideas don't fit your relationship. Just sit there and WATCH them until they notice you're doing it. Then compliment them somehow. Little crap like that.

4) Talking. It's amazing how often people either forget to talk about their problems, or don't listen. Yes, guys, this even involves some mindless, stupid shit that you could care less about if it were you. If it matters to HER, it should matter to you. Not as much, perhaps, but often it's just a matter of venting. In BOTH CASES: Grasp that males and females have different approaches to discussion. Women: Men are problem solvers. We approach discussions about problems that way. This means that, when we're telling you our problems, it's ok to offer solutions. Men: See preceding. Often, when she's telling you about HER problems, she just wants to vent. Unless she asks for help, don't offer. Zip it. ZZZZtttt! STFU and listen. Commisserate. Tell her things will work out. Stroke her ego. Agree with her about that bitch down the street being a bitch.

My US$.02 --- > and worth every single penny.

Posted by: Obloodyhell at October 22, 2008 03:36 PM

Hey, I ain't one o' you white peepz.

I'm half Italian. I know what I am 'cause my cornfed Iowa great grandfather (b. 1870) told my mother, standing in the doorway with me in "swaddling clothes" that she couldn't bring that quote- n****r baby - unquote into his house, and closed the door in her face.

I don't think anyone else has ever raised an issue with my race other than that, mind you. But apparently I'm black, too.

:oP

Posted by: Obloodyhell at October 22, 2008 03:56 PM

Well, as far as I know I am white. Not that it really matters.

What is funny, though, is that I actually do know how it feels to be called the n-word.

Anyone who has ever seen me in real life knows that I have what could only be termed 'Angelina Jolie-like' lips. Now that I am a full grown woman, they are not a bad feature and I am OK with them.

When I was a little girl, however, it took me a while to "grow into" them. Also, I grew up during an age when beestung lips were hardly popular: what was considered attractive was the Twiggy mode - Peggy Lipton face, waifish with thin, hardly there lips. So I was most definitely not "in vogue".

I will always love my father for telling me that I was pretty when I was a little girl. I can't say that I honestly believed him. I didn't. But having my father love me and value me made all the difference in the world to me.

And that is why I, to this day, think men are the coolest - and the kindest - thing in the world. Because children can be very, very cruel.

Posted by: Cassandra, Brunette-American at October 22, 2008 04:05 PM

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 22, 2008 05:37 PM

Because children can be very, very cruel.

It is just that they have not yet experienced enough pain to learn the discipline of the mind and body, Cass.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 22, 2008 05:51 PM

It amazes me, sometimes, how these conversations wander... Start out talking about "code for black" and end up talking about sex and relationships... Go figure...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at October 22, 2008 10:09 PM

ML:

I think that may have to do with the blog and the company. It's somewhat akin to how you can turn a compass any direction you like, but once the needle stops swinging, it still points north.

Posted by: Grim at October 22, 2008 10:18 PM

Ooch! Ouch! :)

Posted by: Cass at October 22, 2008 11:10 PM

Plumber: Republican operative

"undecided voter" = racist

Pennsylvanian = racist

Posted by: Cass at October 22, 2008 11:25 PM

I think we know "cowboy" means racist.

"Small town"? Racist.

"Values"? Racist for sure.

Posted by: Grim at October 22, 2008 11:44 PM

Okay, time to swing the needle back to sex and relationships.

Posted by: BillT at October 23, 2008 04:59 AM

Man, I'mgonnatellyawhatman...
ThatOBLdudegotitgoingintheshow'emyouappreciate'emdepartment,man.
'Causeifyoudon'tyougonnawindupinsomealleydrinkingbrewswithabunchadumboleboystellinwildstories.
Likehowthatolewildwomanfromthelaundrymatmetyouatthedoorforadatewithnothin'onbutCMT,man.

Ohyeah,thereain'tnothingintheworldmorebeautifytoadaddythanhislittlegirl!Man...

NowwhereismySoutherntoEnglishTranslatedonTape?
Igottatryanfigurethiscodewordstuffoutman.

Posted by: Boomhauer at October 23, 2008 07:31 AM

Hey, I was born in "Atlanta." I must be black.

If it wasn't Cynthia McKinley's district, Grim, it doesn't count as authentic.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 23, 2008 08:50 PM

Plumber: Republican operative

Republican deep insertion agent designed to cleanse the pipes of patriotic dissent!!

Cass, we learn a lot of things here. It is just that we keep dying for some reason, being raised as zombies hungering for brains, and inevitably ending back here with no memory of our past. Have pity on us, we only need to find somebody with a brain and there's voice that says you have lots of brains, Cass.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 23, 2008 08:53 PM

Heh
The more I think about it.....this could be very not so bad afterall.....I mean, one could, *theoretically*, get away with telling most any kind of joke in pretty much any setting just by substituting an appropriate code word:

Two socialists were taking a leak off the Brooklyn Bridge when one looked at the other and said,"Damn! This water's cold!"
To which the other replied, "Yeah...deep, too."

Theoretically.

Of course.
0>;~}

Posted by: Snarkammando at October 24, 2008 04:57 PM

Ya live and learn.

First time I've *ever* heard helicopter pilots called "socialists"...

Posted by: BillT at October 24, 2008 06:04 PM

"First time I've *ever* heard helicopter pilots called "socialists"..."

I believe that code word would have been *thong jockey*.

Posted by: Snarkammando at October 24, 2008 06:34 PM

With music and lyrics by Eric Burdon...

Posted by: BillT at October 25, 2008 05:15 AM