« The Government We Deserve | Main | From Little Trees, Mighty ACORNS Grow »

October 08, 2008

NBC Flushes Barney Frank's Involvement Down Memory Hole

Niiiiiiiiice:

Monday NBC mysteriously yanked the skit's video from the network's website, fueling online rumors the show was caving to pressures from well-connected Democrats.

The video was later reposted and a spokesman explained "upon review we caught certain elements in the sketch that didn't meet our standards. We took it down and made some minor changes."

What changes? You may well ask:

In an interview with Gold, the show's executive producer, Lorne Michaels, said the Sandlers were distraught but had not demanded the changes. He noted the "People who should be shot" line was deleted as was a reference to their "corrupt activities."

But a comparison of the two versions shows that actually a little more than that was cut. What also was excised was any mention of the involvement of Massachusetts' Rep. Frank in the Sandler subprime mess.

Frank is the influential chairman of the House Financial Services Committee and an ardent political protector of Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, which participated in the subprime problem.

In the original skit Sandler addresses Frank, saying, "And thank you, Congressman Frank, as well as many Republicans for helping block Congressional oversight of our corrupt activities."

To which Frank replies enthusiastically, "Not at all!"

All that's gone in the new version, which Show Tracker has posted here.

That's too bad for Frank's Republican opponent in the House election next month for the Bay State's Fourth District, which includes Brookline and Newton. Frank's opponent is little-known Republican Earl Henry Sholley, who could use any embarrassing ammunition like the SNL sketch.

Never mind any grand policy proposals. Sholley's still trying to get Frank to agree to simple public debates. Frank dismisses his GOP challenger, saying he simply can't make the dates Sholley has suggested. And that's that.

Posted by Cassandra at October 8, 2008 11:22 AM

Comments

It's probably the speech thing, you know. I saw the sketch last night over at Debbie Schlussel's blog, and it hadn't been 'tampered' with then...so why am I not surprised?

Posted by: Cricket at October 8, 2008 11:53 AM

Here, by the way, is a source for the original.

Yank this, bitch

Posted by: OBloodyhell at October 8, 2008 12:46 PM

Sometimes I get too emotional. The current financial crisis is one of those cases. Washington has eaten the city I love, New York.

Barney Frank was a key and indispensable character in the eating. And at least our children will be wondering what was left of the golden goose after the meat was eaten.

Posted by: levi from queens at October 8, 2008 12:57 PM

Yep. Dat be da one! I lost it on 'stretch marks.'

But the Soros thing. One thing I will say about SNL; they will lampoon both sides. Election of 1988 was stellar. Jon Lovitz as George Dukakis and Dana Carvey as Bush Senior. Brilliant.

Posted by: Cricket at October 8, 2008 12:59 PM

> But the Soros thing. One thing I will say about SNL; they will lampoon both sides.

Occasionally, but not enough. They have far too much tendency to strike at the right, and much more viciously. I was really, really surprised at the even-handedness of this one. I think the general atmosphere suggested on Studio 60 was fairly close to accurate, as far as political balance and attitudes -- 90/10 or 80/20... somewhere in there. As a result, few sketches get done that show the Right viewpoint... enough that I have a hard time watching it without wanting to throw something at the screen.

And I'm not even a conservative.

Posted by: OBloodyhell at October 8, 2008 01:37 PM

Levi, I had to stop talking about the bailout because I was becoming too angry.

So you are not the only one who becomes too emotional. We all love our country. We have different visions for her, and different conceptions of how to fix what we see is wrong. And sometimes we all become angry.

And I dearly love all of you, even when we disagree. Sometimes, especially when we disagree :)

Posted by: Cassandra at October 8, 2008 02:10 PM

If we lose the ability to laugh, we lose it all.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 8, 2008 02:12 PM

Which is one reason I keep teasing you.

Of course, sometimes *I* lose it.

Red mini, indeed...

Posted by: BillT at October 8, 2008 02:46 PM

You always make me laugh, Bill. Something for which I'm very grateful.

What would we do without friends?

Posted by: Cassandra at October 8, 2008 02:55 PM

You just want the cluebat back from whoever "borrowed" it.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 8, 2008 03:47 PM

What would we do without friends?

Become like John Kerry?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 8, 2008 03:49 PM

What a strange idea, well two actually. First, a comedic skit has some defined set of standards, since when? Second, it's OK to broadcast, but not OK to let stand on it's own as a video?

It's a sad day when comedy has to be censored. Free speech indeed.

Posted by: Allen at October 8, 2008 07:19 PM

I once saw an elephant shoot a donkey in its pajamas. How it got into the elephant's pajamas I'll never know.

Posted by: Groucho Marxist at October 8, 2008 08:46 PM

You are *so* cruising, Groucho :p

I had to read that three times. Loooooong day.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 8, 2008 08:59 PM

I hope Sholley uses this anyhow. Just say, "Look, this isn't rocket science - even SNL figured out that Frank was a major player in getting us into this mess. Millions of viewers who saw their skit can attest to that. But then the powers that be decided that was too much truth for voters to handle and they yanked the part where the rich mortgage packagers thanked Frank for his help making corruption safe. So now Frank has screwed you twice: once getting you into this mess and once keeping you from hearing what he did."

BTW, I'm glad the revised version left in the label for Soros: "Owner, Democratic Party". That cracked me up.

Posted by: Elise at October 8, 2008 09:33 PM

Soros: owner of Haliburton too.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 8, 2008 10:15 PM

Check this out

Back in the Iraq war, everything the Democrats accused Bush of was only ever true of Democrats. Same thing is going on with Sarah now.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 8, 2008 10:33 PM

You always make me laugh, Bill.

It's part of my nefarious plan to keep you writing.

Posted by: BillT at October 9, 2008 12:37 AM

All the original video versions of the SNL skit are missing two sentences attributed to the Frank character by a few other websites. The reference is to "an important social contract".

From NewsMax.com:

"In the unedited version, which ran live last Saturday, Sandler turns to the Frank character and says: “And thank you, Congressman Frank, as well as many Republicans for helping block Congressional oversight of our corrupt activities.”

Frank replies: “Not at all. There's an important social contract here. When deceitful housing lenders play by the rules, and bribe members of Congress with campaign contributions, they have a right to expect that we will protect them from losing money. Now let me say something else here. Many of you are probably wondering, where did that $700 billion missing from our economy go? To help answer that, let me introduce our good friend, billionaire hedge fund manager, George Soros...” "

Posted by: Bruce in California at October 9, 2008 04:35 PM

> But then M. Frank's part in the current contretemps in which we inconveniently find ourselves seems to disappear so often, these days.

All the more reason for each and every one of us to make certain it stays in the public eye.

Whenever something is disappearing like that, I always make sure I get a copy on my hard drive using something like Ripzor, so I can repost it up.

Posted by: OBloodyhell at October 10, 2008 06:55 PM

> If we lose the ability to laugh, we lose it all.

When we lose the ability to do nothing BUT laugh, we *also* lose it all

:oP