« Graduation Day | Main | John McCain and our National Respect Deficit »

October 14, 2008

Tuesday Night Tune

How long said she can a moment like this
Belong to someone
What's wrong, what is right, when to live or to die
We must almost be born

So if you should ask me what secrets I hide
I'm only your lover, don't make me decide

The perfume that she wore was from some little store
On the down side of town
But it lingered on, long after she'd gone
I remember it well

CWCID: Maggie's Farm

Since I'm remembering tonight, here's another few that are dear to my heart:

Posted by Cassandra at October 14, 2008 07:13 PM

Comments

Ah, now this time, you got me. Those dulcimer tunes are beautiful.

A damsel with a dulcimer
In a vision once I saw:
It was an Abyssinian maid,
And on her dulcimer she played,
Singing of Mount Abora.
Could I revive within me
Her symphony and song,
To such a deep delight 'twould win me
That with music loud and long
I would build that dome in air,
That sunny dome! those caves of ice!
And all who heard should see them there,
And all should cry, Beware! Beware!
His flashing eyes, his floating hair!
Weave a circle round him thrice,
And close your eyes with holy dread,
For he on honey-dew hath fed
And drunk the milk of Paradise.

Posted by: Grim at October 14, 2008 11:03 PM

Ah yes, the dulcimer. I will run and get my lyre, Cass her pan flute, Cricket her tambour, and Grim his lute. Then we can have a homeric jam session of the finest tunes of the ancient world! Rock me, Alcibidias!

Posted by: a former european at October 14, 2008 11:09 PM

In fact, I do have a lute. I can't play it -- but I do own one.

I also have one of those bodhran skin drums like the fellow in the kilt is playing towards the end of that one video, which I can play a bit.

Posted by: Grim at October 14, 2008 11:13 PM

I thought you might enjoy that, Grim.

Maggie Sansone has been a favorite of mine ever since we lived in Annapolis, nearly 20 years ago. Any proper Scots lass has to appreciate her music :p

She's made several very fine Christmas CDs. I always look forward to bringing them out every year. Since you like ancient music, there's one you'd particularly like there, too. I have nearly all of hers.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 14, 2008 11:20 PM

'Scuse me while I slap afe silly with my pan flute... :p

Posted by: Cassandra at October 14, 2008 11:21 PM

That's the part he likes. If you really want to punish him, try to play the thing for him.

Posted by: Grim at October 15, 2008 12:03 AM

I do have a lute. I can't play it...

Tune it to an open "G" using the same octave differentials you'd use for a 12-string -- if you want to get a more Renaissance-y sound, tune it to an open "D".

*Don't* use finger picks or a bottleneck slide, though, or it'll sound like Lester Flatt doing Don Ho...

Posted by: BillT at October 15, 2008 12:39 AM

See, if I knew how to do any of that, I could probably play it. :)

Posted by: Grim at October 15, 2008 12:51 AM

That's no threat! I know that Cass learned her righteous pan flute chops by studying at the feet of the master, Zamfir. Oh how his haunting melodies make me want to buy his album for the low, low price of just $19.95!

Posted by: a former european at October 15, 2008 12:54 AM

Oh, son. You asked for it.

Posted by: Grim at October 15, 2008 01:06 AM

The following may have been more in keeping with the general tenor of ymar's comments:

Posted by: BillT at October 15, 2008 05:10 AM

Och aye. Music to weave, spin, cook, dream and live by. I will jam with y'all! Years ago I did a spinning demo at a historic reenactment and used her music as background. It was a cassette tape. My children wore it to ribbons playing it at night.

Posted by: Cricket at October 15, 2008 08:37 AM

Thanks, Grim. I can't help associate that song with "Kill Bill", though.

I still get misty-eyed remembering that day when our very own little baldheaded Cass managed to snatch pebble from Master Zhamfir's hand, and left the Shaolin temple to play the pan flute on her own. *sniff*, It was so beautiful!

Posted by: a former european at October 15, 2008 10:10 AM

Y'all are so dead :p

Waking up to that bit of snark was the perfect start to my day. Thanks - I loved it. You all are the best :)

Posted by: Cassandra at October 15, 2008 10:28 AM

Even if they are all dead, Cass, it won't stop them from coming here as the undead. Isn't that right?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 15, 2008 09:08 PM

Brains!

Posted by: a former european at October 16, 2008 01:44 AM

Cass definitely has brains, alright.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at October 16, 2008 04:28 PM