« What Kind of President Would Obama Be? | Main | And Now For Something Completely Different... »

November 03, 2008

NYTimesWatch: Accountability Journalism Edition

Via the always entertaining Howard Bashman, a virtuoso display of the multiple layers of rigorous editorial fact checking which make professional journalism far superior to those rabble bloggers:

The New York Times today contains a "For the Record" correction that states:

"An article in some editions on Wednesday about Fordham University's plan to give an ethics prize to Supreme Court Justice Stephen G. Breyer misspelled the surname of another Supreme Court justice who received the award in 2001. She is Ruth Bader Ginsburg, not Ginsberg. The Times has misspelled her name at least two dozen times since 1980; this is the first correction the paper has published."

Posted by Cassandra at November 3, 2008 07:18 AM

Comments

Truer words were never spoken...I am working on my 'environment and ethics paper'. I am choking back bile as I speak, but I need the A.

Posted by: Cricket at November 3, 2008 07:55 AM

"Environment and Ethics" -- and you're using *paper*?

You realize they wrap *fish* in paper, right?

Posted by: BillT at November 3, 2008 08:16 AM

Hah. Sez you, Mr. Bill. It is a cyber paper, Not To Be Printed, but Submitted, via electrons.
Either way I lose my negative carbon footprint standing.

My sister has Written A Book, which deals with the ethics of using/harvesting animal products in Chinese medicine. I happen to agree with her stand about humane harvesting or substitutions, and she has Given Permission for me to use a couple of paragraphs.

What galls me about environmentalism are the issues about land use and conflicts regarding property rights. I am skimming the surface of those issues, because the paper isn't meant to be in-depth, but still...feminist studies and the environment?

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH!!!

Posted by: Cricket at November 3, 2008 08:47 AM

It figures you'd bring up Chinese medicine before opining that something galls you.

People who call themselves "environmentalists" have historically done more actual damage to the environment than you can shake an organically-grown, free-range stick at.

Funniest thing they did in Jersey was re-introduce rattlesnakes into the Pine Barrens. They did it in the autumn of 1977 or 78, and next morning, Routes 71 and 206 were covered with squashed rattlers that had crawled onto the asphalt to keep warm during the night...

Posted by: BillT at November 3, 2008 09:56 AM

Rattlesnakes and New Jersey politics. Interesting.

Seriously though, whyinhelk were rattlers needed?
Was there a need for predators (oh gee this could go in so many directions with regard to politics)
and not enough cats?

I have finished the paper and submitted it. My sister wants a copy of it.

Sigh. Demanding family members.

Posted by: Cricket at November 3, 2008 10:47 AM

Environmentalists need to be cleansed from the Earth before Gaia is truly pristine, Bill.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at November 5, 2008 03:14 AM

Seriously though, whyinhelk were rattlers needed?

Because someone decided that, based on the fossil evidence, timber rattlers were native to the state before people got there and disrupted the balance of nature.

People such as the Lenni-Lenape and Delaware Indians...

Posted by: BillT at November 5, 2008 03:30 AM

Environmentalists are disturbing the balance of nature by eating more than 1k calories a day, Bill.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at November 5, 2008 07:59 PM