« 50 Sexiest Movies | Main | Obama's "Change": What Is Really Changing? »

November 25, 2008

Here and There

And here I thought it was the Thanksgiving fairy...

Today women (and yes, it's women) across America begin a week of hectic chaos that only the holidays can bring. Like me they are looking forward to visiting relatives and only have a few things to attend to.

Make a menu, not only for Thanksgiving day, but for breakfasts and lunches while visitors stick around for the weekend. Go the grocery store where hundreds like yourself check off 2 notebook pages of items. The grocery store never has enough checkers. Why should they? Are you just going to leave? Not likely. So while standing in line you catch up on what Brad and Angelina are doing with their brood, while your head is filled with what else you have to do.

Go home unload the groceries, clean the house, change the sheets (get out the good ones), wash clothes and the tablecloth you haven't used in a year, run buy some candles for the centerpiece, make sure the bathrooms have towels that match, run buy wine and beer, wash the dust off your good china and crystal, and don't forget.....you have to make dinner tonight, you know.

How you gonna keep 'em down on the farm, once they've seen gay Paree? Beth's got a brand new blog!

SemperFi Wife and LAW from the ParentsZone are going to be at Arlington National Cemetery on December 13th for the Annual Wreath Laying ceremony. I've written about this before - if you're a DC area resident, it's very much worth your time. Do check it out.

Posted by Cassandra at November 25, 2008 06:50 AM

Comments

Hey, even if you're not in the DC area, there are wreath laying ceremonies scheduled all over the US and territories.

Posted by: Semper Fi Wife at November 25, 2008 09:16 AM

> And here I thought it was the Thanksgiving fairy...

Hey, watch out. You don't want to get goosed by a Thanksgiving fairy. You never know where their hands have been.

Posted by: Obloodyhell at November 25, 2008 10:38 AM

Two things leapt out at me in Sparkle's list. First, everyone knows it's a man's job to buy beer and wine. Hunters, remember? (I've even heard rumors that - if provided with a detailed list and a cell phone - men can perform satisfactorily at the grocery store. Ahem.) Second, dinner on the Tuesday night before a big Thanksgiving feast is why the Goddess, in her infinite wisdom, gave us pizza and Chinese food deliveries.

Posted by: Elise at November 25, 2008 12:45 PM

The Spousal Unit, bless his heart, came through the door in the pouring rain at 9 pm last night from work laden with beer and assorted other other potables. He is also better at grocery shopping than I am.

Men are so cool. I was cleaning the carpets, so I thought he was a hero.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 25, 2008 01:01 PM

"He is also better at grocery shopping than I am."

I am positive HE never came home from grocery shopping with the Butt Book.

Posted by: Carrie at November 25, 2008 02:31 PM

Oh girl, you will pay for that one.

Oh yes, you will pay.

Posted by: The (Patient) One at November 25, 2008 02:33 PM

"Second, dinner on the Tuesday night before a big Thanksgiving feast is why the Goddess, in her infinite wisdom, gave us pizza and Chinese food deliveries."
During a non-holiday week, I get one day off from cooking. Usually Friday, it's known as Friday night pizza night. Thanksgiving week, it's either Tuesday or Wednesday because God knows that on Friday, we're going to have leftovers and lots of them...

Posted by: Carrie at November 25, 2008 02:34 PM

It's Bill's fault. He wouldn't let me take the high road...

Posted by: Carrie at November 25, 2008 02:36 PM

My family does it differently; my Dad is the one who will be preparing our family's turkey and everything else, and who most likely did all of the shopping for our Thanksgiving. I have volunteered to help him this year, but Mom will probably be entertaining Grandma for the day while Dad works in the kitchen.

Very likely that Dad will also do most of the cleaning before anyone shows up as well. Just the way it works at my parents' house. Dad likes being busy.

Posted by: Leofwende at November 25, 2008 02:41 PM

"Oh girl, you will pay for that one.

Oh yes, you will pay."

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Reminds me of a line from MacBeth:
"Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage
And then is heard no more: it is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing."

*whap*

What? Now you don't like Shakespeare?
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at November 25, 2008 02:49 PM

Heh. I do most of the grocery shopping anymore. Saves gas since I'm already near the commissary.

[topic change]

*Her* you link. Me you ignore.

Sexist.

Ppppplllttt!

Oh, don't cavil about me not posting anything worth linking to. This is about feelings, which trump everything.

The Left told me so. Therefore it must be so.

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at November 25, 2008 03:54 PM

He is also better at grocery shopping than I am.

My husband is also an excellent grocery shopper. (I'm faster but he's better at price comparison and taking advantage of sales.) Most women I know, though, kind of snort when I suggest husbands can grocery shop.

Men are so cool. I was cleaning the carpets, so I thought he was a hero.

Yes, men are definitely cool but if you were cleaning your carpets I bow down before you - and hereby extend an open invitation to clean mine whenever you feel in a carpet-cleaning mode.

Posted by: Elise at November 25, 2008 03:57 PM

"*Her* you link. Me you ignore."

Are you whining? Want some cheese with that *whine*? Don't make us come over there and start a *party* that'll have you monitoring the comments for days.....days, I tell you.

heh
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at November 25, 2008 04:47 PM

Actually you did post something I wanted to link to. I just have not had time to write anything serious.

I liked your series of two posts about Victory Day in Iraq very much. I just haven't had time to collect my thoughts enough to write a response. I have a whole passel of people coming over here in 2 days and I don't have time to sit down and crank out a post like that.

Posted by: The (Patient) One at November 25, 2008 04:51 PM

"Towels that match"--hahaha! Oh, my, I don't have any of those.

Posted by: April at November 25, 2008 04:57 PM

Perfidy, thy name is Womyn!

Now you lay a guilt trip on me.

Man, an MCP just can't get an even break around here...

All we have coming this week is Prodigal Son, PSSIGO, and Prodigal Grandson v0.50 (due in March, but will be accompanying PSSIGO in Full Parasitic Symbiosis).

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at November 25, 2008 05:06 PM

Sly - dare ya.

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at November 25, 2008 05:07 PM

"Sly - dare ya"

Aww crap...here we go...

Posted by: Carrie at November 25, 2008 05:29 PM

Since we have been permanently Stateside - summer of '90 - Thanksgiving & Christmas are always out at Grandma's house. Since Daddy retired from the Army in '91, he is the one cooking that turkey and making the cornbread dressing. Daddy informed me he was doing the grocery shopping tomorrow morning (he's now a HS history teacher, and the local district has cried "Uncle!" and made tomorrow a no-school day), and he'll start working on stuff tomorrow evening. Holidays at Grandma's are kind of potluck, buffet-style things. I heard that my college-student cousins have been tasked with bringing a relish tray - something they don't have to try and cook, or transport from San Antonio... I'm making chocolate pie.

When we were overseas, he was still the turkey & dressing chef. Even when we put in an appearance at the Mess Hall (usually with us all dressed up, Daddy in his dress blues when he finally had a set), we still had turkey dinner at home. We were always fortunate to never PCS during the school year...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at November 25, 2008 10:47 PM

It's Bill's fault. He wouldn't let me take the high road...

Running all over those good intentions will tear your tires to shreds.

And Beer & Wine Hut doesn't deliver...

Posted by: BillT at November 26, 2008 12:50 AM

> Men are so cool. I was cleaning the carpets, so I thought he was a hero.

"Why does man kill? Man kills for food. And frequently, there must be a beverage."
- Woody Allen -

Sounds like he came through on both counts.

Posted by: Obloodyhell at November 26, 2008 05:46 AM

"And Beer & Wine Hut doesn't deliver"

Well that just seals the deal. A girl's got to know her priorities.

Posted by: Carrie at November 26, 2008 08:24 AM

No worries, Carrie. Sly didn't take the bait.

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at November 26, 2008 12:40 PM

"Sly didn't take the bait."

Sly is not some newbie trout fresh from the fish hatchery biting at the first tidbit thrown in the water at feeding time. Besides, given the tenor of the posts at the Castle yesterday, to have started a party would have been, IMHO anyway, disrespectful. I only do that here where my seat in the corner is cemented in stone. No really, it is. Right beside the new BBQ pit and solar powered beer cooler. (Trying to offset the carbon footprint of the charred animal flesh on the flame pit, don'cha know.)
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at November 26, 2008 12:52 PM

Speaking of Turkey Day, I am leaving in about an hour or two to drive up to Virginia to spend Thanksgiving with my parents. Hope you and yours have a fantastic Thanksgiving, and don't eat too much turkey!

Posted by: MikeD at November 26, 2008 01:02 PM