« Part II of Redrawing the Conservative Roadmap: the GOP's Image Problem | Main | Beyond the Shadow of A Freaking Penunbra... »

November 18, 2008

Oops! We Did It Again!

You've got to love the LA Times - now that the election's over, they're hot on Barack Obama's trail:

In his books, speeches and campaign commercials, Sen. Barack Obama has harked back to his days as a civil-rights attorney.

It is fundamental to his autobiography and was displayed on his campaign Web site and woven into his appeals for votes. In one of his television ads leading up to the South Carolina primary, Obama recalled "working as a civil-rights attorney to make sure that everybody's vote counted."

Senior attorneys at the small firm where he worked say he was a strong writer and researcher, but was involved in relatively few cases before entering politics.

Gee whiz. At this rate they might get around to having a look at his legislative record by the time he gets out of office. But wait! There's more!

"This is a central part of his life and story," says David Axelrod, who served as Obama's chief campaign strategist. "He could have written his ticket at any law firm in the country. . . . . He decided instead that he wanted to be a civil-rights attorney, and he signed up with a small firm that had a reputation for doing this kind of work."

30: The approximate number of legal cases Obama was involved in:

4: The number of years Obama was a full-time lawyer

70%: The amount of time Obama spent on voting rights, civil rights and employment, generally as a junior associate. (The rest of his time was spent on matters related to real-estate transactions, filing incorporation papers and defending clients against minor lawsuits.)

3,723: The number of billable hours Obama accrued while working at Davis, Miner, Barnhill & Gallard

Hmmm... let's see. Just as a rough tally, 3723/4 years equals about 930 billable hours a year.

That seems a bit light, doesn't it? Of course there were two autobiographies to write. The life of a public figure can be so demanding.

Posted by Cassandra at November 18, 2008 06:10 PM

Comments

I am sure he did that...countless times.

OTOHeiny, there are 1,040 work hours in the year if you go by a forty hour work week.

I am in love. I am renouncing Adam Smith for Frederic Bastiat.

*sigh and bats eyes at Mises.org*

Posted by: Cricket at November 18, 2008 10:02 PM

The USA could greatly improve the education system, especially in math! Hate to disappoint some present but since there are 52-weeks in the year and since there are typically 40-hours in the work week, 8-days a day with the 5-typical work days, how in the BLEEP did a poster here compute that to be 1,040 work hours in the year?

Jeez, must be a Marine who did that calculation since most Army people know there are 52 times 40-hours in the work year, whatever that turns out to be. Maybe a highly paid Air force person could compute that calculation for us all.

Posted by: DougW at November 18, 2008 10:33 PM

Hysterical.
Ok, so I worked as an attorney for 5 years before abandoning it for life as a SAHM and wifey. This latter role is much more demanding.

But still, I was required to bill at least 1,250 hours a year, and I had a light requirement b/c of the nature of our work (family law). Most of my friends billed 1,500 or 1,800 as a requirement and often needed to plug in nearly 2,000 to get any kind of bonus.

And I think Cricket counted incorrectly, 40 hours times 50 weeks (let's give every one a two week vacation)is 2000 hours.

In any event, my hubs, when he was in private practice (he now works for the gov't and gets paid less for the same amount of work, sigh) once billed 240 hours in one MONTH. Now, that was a stupidly excessive amount. But still.

The response to your post is: you are exactly right, Obama had light billing. But that is just what we should expect. At least I do. How many times did he vote "present"? Or conveniently step into the cloak room before a vote?

Posted by: Kimberly at November 18, 2008 10:37 PM

Mea culpa. I was so teary-eyed over my long-dead White Male European I fergot. Obama worked like a beaver for six months and then wrote his books.

Otay?

*pokes DougW really really hard*

Posted by: Cricket at November 18, 2008 11:07 PM

Obama worked like a beaver for six months and then wrote his books.

Let's go one step further in the math (I need the practice, even though I'm not a lawyer).

930 hours a year divided by a 40-hour work week is -- *mumble-mumble* carry the *mumble* -- 23-point-25 weeks. He did 70% of his less-than-six-months work as a civil rights attorney, so that means he put in -- ummmmm -- 16-point-28 weeks defending the offended.

January, February, March, April and the first week in May.

Niiiiiice job. No wonder we're overrun with lawyers -- they figured out what a sweet deal it is...

*koff*

*ahem*

Posted by: BillT at November 19, 2008 12:23 AM

The way I hear it, he may not have even written (at least) the first one...Bill Ayers did.

Posted by: camojack at November 19, 2008 01:44 AM

As my 2nd year associate lawyer daughter explained to me recently -- billable hours matter but not as much as collected hours (or collections) so Obama must have been a whiz at getting his billed hours paid.

Posted by: Donna B. at November 19, 2008 01:46 AM

8-days a day with the 5-typical work days

Gee, just like over here in Iraq, except we only work six-atypical days a week when we're not working seven-typical days.

Coffeeeeeeeee...

Posted by: BillT at November 19, 2008 05:48 AM

Thanks Bill. Slide rule workin' okay?

My long awaited final paper in this class is 'The Role Of Government.' I am so freakin' tempted to send in Ezra Taft Benson's speech/talk but I can't. However, I have Found Parallels. I have my outline, and have now to read and mark suitable passages from dead economists' writings to fit my paradigm, confuse the professor with Livid Terrier double-speak and hopefully pull down that A.

Posted by: Cricket at November 19, 2008 09:27 AM

My long awaited final paper in this class is 'The Role Of Government.'

Make sure you include "alienating collegiate athletic directors in the PAC-10/Big-10"...

Posted by: BillT at November 19, 2008 01:11 PM

Oh that does it. I read Obama for change and how he was gonna make it fair for college athlatetics to continue using a computer system. Uh...wasn't it the computer modeling that was wildly off on globull warming?

Posted by: Cricket at November 19, 2008 01:19 PM

Coffeeeeeeeee...

Posted by: Ymarsakar at November 20, 2008 03:18 PM

"You ever drink too much coffee at once and start getting electrical signal tingles over your back?"

No, but I did get that *feeling* once from drinking too much beer -- although, I suspect the electric fence I was squatting next to had something to do with it, too.

0>;~}