« Thanksgiving Dinner and Other Bloggy Fare | Main | Browser Woes »

November 17, 2008

The Dancing Soldier

Laughing Wolf gave me a great idea this morning. I laughed myself silly reading the comments on his post - can't you just feel the interservice lovin'?

Heh. They're just jealous:

I've been in the Navy 33 years. Trust me, they act this way before we pull away from the pier.

In the Army we always suspected that the only reason there were jarheads on ships was so the squids had someone to dance with.

LW's post reminded me of some of the finer moments of Marine Corps Dance artistry, such as this classic:

Late one night deep in the heart of the insurgent stronghold of Ramadi, Iraq. Three young soldiers desperately try to teach one rhythmically challenged trooper to dance. You will laugh, you will cry and then you will ask for these two and half minutes of your life back. You will never get them back, none of us will.

And another of my personal favorites: embrace the suckitude.

Not a Marine, but so much fun I had to include it anyway.

Why friends don't let friends join the Air Force...

Why Marines are the best:

A sailor shows 'em how it's done at the Marine Corps ball.

Speaking of interservice rivalry, Project Valour IT is still going on and the Marine team is getting our collective butts kicked. Now if you care to peruse the Marine team, a scummier collection of rogues and blackguards, 'twould be hard to imagine:

A Swift Kick & A Band-Aid
Manatee's Military Moms
MEEP MEEP MEEP
Flak Central
Something... and Half of Something
Cassy Fiano
Howling at the Moon

Head on over and make a donation. A few dollars set aside to say "thanks" to those who have sacrificed so much on our behalf can make a very bleak recovery period far easier to bear. Here's what this worthy project has been providing for wounded warriors:

Project Valour-IT, in memory of SFC William V. Ziegenfuss, helps provide voice-controlled/adaptive laptop computers and other technology to support Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen and Marines recovering from hand wounds and other severe injuries. Technology supplied includes:
- Voice-controlled Laptops - Operated by speaking into a microphone or using other adaptive technologies, they allow the wounded to maintain connections with the rest of the world during recovery.

- Wii Video Game Systems - Whole-body game systems increase motivation and speed recovery when used under the guidance of physical therapists in therapy sessions.

- Personal GPS - Handheld GPS devices build self-confidence and independence by compensating for short-term memory loss and organizational challenges related to TBI and severe PTSD.

Please support Valour IT, and please support the Marine team.

And whatever you do, don't forget to dance :)

Posted by Cassandra at November 17, 2008 05:49 PM

Comments

Whatever! Don't try to step to the Navy when it comes to a dance-off...you're gonna get served.

Posted by: LT Nixon at November 17, 2008 07:22 PM

I think not...
The navy is good for transporting our stuff and little more.
As a bus service, they're the best.

Posted by: Semper Fi Wife at November 17, 2008 08:50 PM

aaaaaaaiiiiieeeee!!!!! My eyes, they burn!
I suggest them for interrogation techniques.

But then again...

Posted by: Cricket at November 17, 2008 09:04 PM

PS to Lt. Nixon..cheer up. Maybe your favorite photojournalist will find a way to market the cost of war again.
You know..like he did before and when you defended him.

Posted by: Semper Fi Wife at November 17, 2008 09:07 PM

Oh....Lieutenant!

I *know* you are not talking to me! Because I would hate to have to school you :p

Posted by: Cassandra at November 17, 2008 09:16 PM

What is so difficult about dancing in formation if Marines and Army doods can march in it?

I haven't laughed so hard since I don't know when.
Thank you...

Posted by: Cricket at November 17, 2008 09:22 PM

Check out this hot dance from the 70s. Best use of signal flags evah!

Posted by: LT Nixon at November 17, 2008 10:00 PM

Laughing Wolf is a jackass, says I.

If he doesn't like it, tell him he can come to "La Casa de Camo" (my rambling estate) if he wishes to complain. It'll never happen. Seriously...

Posted by: camojack at November 18, 2008 03:49 AM

In the Naaavyyyy,
You can sail the seven seas!
In the Naaavyyyy,
You can catch a weird disease!

The Navy: It's not just a job -- it's the Marines' E-Harmony!

Yeah, yeah -- "sooooooo dead"...

Posted by: BillT at November 18, 2008 04:16 AM

As a bus service, they're the best.

Posted by: Semper Fi Wife at November 17, 2008 08:50 PM

That and Bill's "E-Harmony" was great. I'm either a Marine partisan or I'm scared of the Marine wives. Either way, it's good.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at November 18, 2008 06:34 AM

You may have just joined Mike and me in the Dead Pool, Ymar...

Posted by: BillT at November 18, 2008 08:54 AM

"...you're gonna get served."

Posted by: DL Sly at November 18, 2008 11:40 AM

Hey hey hey!!! I've been GOOD recently. Why am I on the Dead Pool?

Posted by: MikeD at November 18, 2008 11:40 AM

I still like FireFox a hell of a lot better than IE.

*That's* why.

Cookie?

Posted by: BillT at November 18, 2008 12:40 PM

Hey, so I don't like an old, buggy, dead end browser that refuses to serve pages, doesn't handle css well and is more finicky than Morris the Cat. I hardly think that qualifies one for the Dead Pool. Plus I posted that AFTER you said I was going in the Dead Pool.

Posted by: MikeD at November 18, 2008 01:25 PM

I am fairly certain that my current problems with Firefox center around the user profile. I did some research and if I were actually able to launch either Firefox itself or the Profile Manager (which I'm not) I could perhaps fix it.

But you know what? I'm busy and an application really should not just stop working for no freaking reason. Considering that it was screwing up big time even before this happened, I am not inclined to waste massive amounts of my increasingly precious personal time trying to convince it to please, please work for me. That is a bit much.

I can't tell you how many posts I've lost lately due to Firefox. I multitask a lot and it routinely crashes on me. Plus, it loses windows and I have to ctrl-alt-delete to look for them. That is a hassle I don't need.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 18, 2008 01:53 PM

Plus I posted that AFTER you said I was going in the Dead Pool.

I'm prescient.

I can't tell you how many posts I've lost lately due to Firefox.

Cookie, Mike?

Posted by: BillT at November 18, 2008 02:27 PM

I can sharez cookies? Wat, you think you the only one who reads LOLCats?

Posted by: Cricket at November 18, 2008 07:42 PM

Plus I posted that AFTER you said I was going in the Dead Pool.

Bill's prescient. He can't help it.

Muahahhaa, another victim of the Bomb.

For shame, Cass, you don't use notepad/metapad to hold your posts?

No longer you are grouchy all the time when it comes to politics!

Btw, I'm also prescient because I said Bill was prescient before I read Bill's comment saying he was.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at November 18, 2008 07:45 PM

So does that mean that you knew then what you didn't know now?

Posted by: Snarkammando at November 18, 2008 10:08 PM

"I'm either a Marine partisan or I'm scared of the Marine wives. Either way, it's good."

Heh..

"Oh good, the waiter finally came over to our side of the boat.....I'll take a beer, SoCo on the rocks and a plate of nachos - heavy on the guacamole. And for you, SFW?"

Oh...he's a bartender? I thought he was the Good Humor man.

Posted by: Semper Fi Wife at November 19, 2008 08:11 AM

Oh I feel you. I've lost plenty of long, thoughtful posts. And on FireFox as well. But I've probably lost more over the years on IE. Now, given that IE is older, that really shouldn't be surprising. I never have found a perfect browser that does what it ought to all the time, otherwise I'd definitely be recommending it. But as of right now, I can just say that FireFox seems to work best for me.

Yeah, I hate that about most applications. If they don't work, they don't have a safe mode or a rollback option you can go into to correct the problem. Bad design really. Where this REALLY sucks is if it happens to your OS.

Cookie, Mike?

I didn't think VC set cookies. Weird. But hey, if you're offering, peanut butter is my favorite.

Posted by: MikeD at November 19, 2008 10:24 AM

*popping the lid on the Popular Brand Nameā„¢ plastic container of peanut butter cookies*

Mmmmf. 'ere.

Posted by: BillT at November 19, 2008 10:30 AM

"I thought he was the Good Humor man."

Nah, don't let the hat fool ya. Good Humor men have something that people actually want.

Posted by: DL Sly at November 19, 2008 11:18 AM

You people need CoodClip. I have a shareware version of it, if ya'll want it via email. (Just think of it like a Mk in Irvine email except with positive consequences)

I have gotten into the habit of copying and pasting while using the internet. SO I do a CTRL + C everytime I finish a comment or post. Coodclip then saves it and I can look it up even if I copy something else, like a picture or folder. So convenient. Been using it BEFORE 1999. At least, I think that was the year.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at November 20, 2008 04:14 PM

I've saved a couple of my favorite quotes to the "permanent instant" section and I have like 40 different copy instants on my coodclip at any one time.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at November 20, 2008 04:16 PM

Also, Cass, I was first, foremost, and still currently a major commenter rather than a major blogger. This means that whenever I hit the "post" button, I won't be able to edit it again. This means that it is out of my hands and since I use html a lot, I tend to want the raw html data copied rather than trying to copy the parsed html after it has been posted.

Also, since it won't be my blog I am commenting on usually, I need a copy of what I said because who knows what may happen to it: spam filters, banning, blog authors editing my words, et all.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at November 20, 2008 04:17 PM

I mean, can you imagine if I wrote one of my long comments, hit post, didn't copy it before, and when it finished it just simply "disappeared" somewhere where nobody, the blog author or I, could find it, Cass?

Several of those incidents and you'll learn the instinctive copy command very very fast.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at November 20, 2008 04:18 PM