« So Much for "Journalistic Ethics" | Main | *snort* »

November 12, 2008

Topic of the Day

Viggo Mortensen is a metrosexual.

Discuss amongst yourselves. The Editorial Staff, naturally, has an opinion.

Posted by Cassandra at November 12, 2008 01:17 PM

Comments

PErsonally what i see is that they select crypto homosexuals... then the idea is to build following and all that... then reveal the situation, causing cognitive dissonance...

how many girls now are confused by wake me up before you go go?

how about this one?

lets talk about manufacturing gender dysphoria, so that when we live in barracks, the sexes dont have to mix... unless our overlords let us mate, to control population levels.

how can a young man decide to be a young man if his heroes sneak up on him with things that they may not be interested in? meanwhile the reverse happens to the gay young man, who thinks that they have no heroes, only to find that a masculine man he didnt model after, turns out to be a model?

dysphoria express.... now leaving track 8

Posted by: artfldgr at November 12, 2008 01:22 PM

Is "Viggo Mortensen" one of those terms I should be cautious about Googling -- like, say, "goatsee"?

Posted by: BillT at November 12, 2008 01:31 PM

I AM NOT BETH CLEAVER!!! :)

Posted by: Cassandra at November 12, 2008 01:35 PM

Huh. And here I ullas thought Beaver's mom was named "June" -- ya live and learn...

Posted by: BillT at November 12, 2008 01:42 PM

I'm confused...

Posted by: Kat at November 12, 2008 03:17 PM

Then my work here is done.

Posted by: BillT at November 12, 2008 03:41 PM

Viggo Mortensen is also somewhat less than impressive if the naked bathhouse fight scene in Eastern Promises is accurate.

And by "somewhat less than impressive" I mean laughable.

My vote is that he can't help it, he simply can't produce enough testosterone to make the leap from metrosexual to real man.

Posted by: airforcewife at November 12, 2008 04:11 PM

Remind me not to watch that :p

Posted by: Cassandra at November 12, 2008 04:15 PM

Beth likes to trick people into clicking on goatse links, Kat. It's an old joke :)

I lost my innocence thanks to her.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 12, 2008 04:17 PM

Cass ~ you had innocence?? Huh. Learn something new every day.

As for Viggo Mortensen...he's never been my cuppa. Nor, for the record, have the LOTR movies. Loved the books. Didn't like the movies. And, based on afw's information, I will now have to go scrub my brain with bleach. Ick.

Posted by: HomefrontSix @ work at November 12, 2008 04:33 PM

Cassie -- Just a reminder: don't watch the naked bathhouse fight scene in Eastern Promises.

Ecch. Now I've gotta disinfect my keyboard.

Posted by: BillT at November 12, 2008 04:51 PM

Look, I don't care what any a' ya's say, if a guy wants to live in the city, I say, "Go ahead, Buddy!" But don't come complainin' to me when you can't get to sleep at night 'cause there's some idiot with his blinking neon sign right across the street from your bedroom window and the sirens are wailing all through the night. You'll soon be wishing for those halcyon days of catchin' June bugs in a jar and coyotes in love.

Posted by: Snarkammando at November 12, 2008 06:58 PM

I thought he was a cryptosexual. My bad.

If he is what passes for beefcake, we are in worse trouble than we thought.

I have not seen any of his movies since LOTR and haven't wanted to. His portrayal of Aragorn was a bit cool.

Now, Daniel Craig...hm. Can you see him as Aragorn? Armed with a pistol and wreaking snarky havoc on Sauron's hosts.

Posted by: Cricket at November 12, 2008 07:02 PM

Is it just me, or is there something really wrong with male movie stars?

Honestly. I'm not the least bit attracted to women, but there are plenty of attractive female stars. The men, not so much.

And it's not like I'm looking for perfection. The men I tend to find attractive aren't physically perfect at all. It's more that they strike me as real. Or maybe just male.

And there are maybe 2 or 3. If that.

Pitiful. I don't understand what is held out to us as being "desireable" by Hollywood.

Posted by: Cassandra at November 12, 2008 07:13 PM

Read the plot spoilers for Eastern Promises. What a stupid, idiotic movie. No wonder it won Oscars. Gory, violent, sex and a thin plot to string it all on.

Bleecch.

Posted by: Cricket at November 12, 2008 07:14 PM

Gory, violent, sex and a thin plot to string it all on.
You forgot to add Viggo Mortensen fighting naked in a bathhouse.

Complete with roundhouse kicks.

Posted by: airforcewife at November 12, 2008 07:31 PM

It's too bad the Alanis Morrisette lyric generator has gone the way of the dodo. This would be good material for it.

Viggo Mortenson, fighting naked, in a bathhouse
Like a cruel red rain falling on my head
......

I, personally, thought Liam Neeson would have been perfect as Aragorn, but that's just me.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at November 12, 2008 09:27 PM

Well, when the alternative for manliness in LOTR was Orlando Bloom, then yes, I suppose Viggo was indeed the manly one.

Re Eastern Promises: Viggo is packing a tootsie roll, even without comparison to my ginormous codpiece.

By coincidence, a female friend and I were discussing the lack of manly men in Hollywood anymore. No one has any presence or charisma. Where are the Charlton Hestons, the Kirk Douglases, the John Waynes, the Gregory Pecks?

If they want someone manly, they have to look overseas for a Russell Crowe in Gladiator. Even older, charismatic actors like Lorne Greene (who could play a great patriarch-type role) are now farmed out to Brits like Gandalf or Jean-Luc Picard. Its sad, really.

Posted by: a former european at November 12, 2008 09:36 PM

I AM NOT BETH CLEAVER!!! :)

That's hard to believe.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at November 12, 2008 09:40 PM

Meet REAL MEN (TM), all ya got a do is hang out at a russ meyers film festival. thats bout all thats left after the cowboys ache breaky spurs got tangled in their stirrups. the rest of us are trying to emulate homer simpson so as not to lose everything we own. doh! maybe i shouldnt had told them. doh!

Posted by: Artfldgr at November 12, 2008 10:05 PM

I'd never heard of Eastern Promises, and can't say it will be high on my list of movies to see. I did like Mortensen in Hidalgo, though.

Real men in Holloywood? Although he's not a "movie star", I like David Boreanaz, "Agent Seeley Booth" in the TV show Bones. As for a slightly older Hollywood guy: Mark Harmon.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at November 13, 2008 12:08 AM

If they want someone manly, they have to look overseas...

Sorry, I'm busy with another project at the moment. But have their girl call my camel spider and we'll do lunch sometime...

Posted by: BillT at November 13, 2008 01:30 AM

I've been told that there's a resemblance between Mr. Mortensen and myself.

Based upon some of the prior comments, I reckon that the aforementioned resemblance does not extend below the waist... ;-)

Posted by: camojack at November 13, 2008 03:52 AM

OMG, Don :p

Like Alan Greenspan's ass
That mental image is hard to shake.

***************

There's a resemblance, camo. But you're better looking.

You also don't look like a metrosexual :p

Posted by: Cassandra at November 13, 2008 06:45 AM

Well, they don't call me 'Gandalf the Gey' for nothing, you know.

I was thinking Liam Neeson for Aragorn, and Lorne Greene would have made a fantastic Gandalf. He had that whole good looks with deep voice thing going for him.

However, there are some manly dood types in Hollywood like Bruce Willis and Will Smith.
They just aren't doing stupid roles.

I think we ought to turn this into a haiku.

Posted by: Cricket at November 13, 2008 08:08 AM

Camo, you do look like him but you are a Manly Dood. Righteous, too, from what I have been reading.

My daughter, bless her,has a crush on John Wayne.
We have about 20 of his movies and she just sits and is entertained for hours.

She also enjoys Clark Gable and Nelson Eddy. Yes, I collect old movies and rent the new stuff. If the new stuff passes the demanding criteria set forth by me, we will buy it.

Which is why we have a small DVD collection.

heh.

Posted by: Cricket at November 13, 2008 08:15 AM

OK, confession: I think Viggo is hot. Now lambaste me!

Posted by: Texan99 at November 13, 2008 12:54 PM

I can't speak to manly men actors or whatnot, as Cass says, I don't find men attractive, but unlike her, I can't really tell what's attractive to women in men. Everytime I think I've figured out what makes a guy attractive, my wife tells me how I'm wrong.

So I stick to just pointing out which men my wife finds attractive. Liam Neeson is a big one for her. Jude Law. Most of the rest of her list of "hot guys" that she's shared with me are musicians. I asked her about Orlando Bloom. She thinks his very pretty, kind of like artwork. Ah hell... her exact quote was "I don't want to **** him, I just want to sit and look at him for a while."

Posted by: MikeD at November 13, 2008 01:06 PM

Texan99,
your hot enough, lambasting would just make it worse. :)

Posted by: Artfldgr at November 13, 2008 07:31 PM

You people are too much for me.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at November 13, 2008 08:26 PM

Orlando Bloom is beautiful. That made him perfect for playing the role of an elf in LOTR. I find him attractive on that level, but he's not the type of man I'd pick for a mate, if I could pick any guy I wanted.

My favorite John Wayne movie? The Quiet Man.

Personally, I think there's just something about a man in uniform. Too bad I didn't find one when I was around them all the time. Odd of me finding one now are dwindling. I'm not in a military town, and meeting a military man (I'm not picky about branch of service) of a certain age who is still single is not a likely prospect...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at November 13, 2008 08:28 PM

There's a resemblance, camo. But you're better looking.
You also don't look like a metrosexual :p
Posted by: Cassandra at November 13, 2008 06:45 AM

I prefer to think of myself as a Renaissance Man...but thanks.

Posted by: Cricket at November 13, 2008 08:15 AM

And thank you, too!!! I do my best, such as 'tis... :-)
(But what, pray tell, have you "been reading"?)

Posted by: camojack at November 14, 2008 01:42 AM

Well, I read your hits and runs here, and I have occasionally found you on other blogs...and you have a blog. So, yeah, yer a Righteous Manly Dood. IOW, NORMAL!

Posted by: Cricket at November 14, 2008 01:51 PM

One cannot be a Righteous Manly Dood without a blog? Who knew?

Posted by: MikeD at November 14, 2008 02:00 PM

Posted by: Cricket at November 14, 2008 01:51 PM

Normal...moi?! Heaven forfend.

Email me and we can discuss this misunderstanding... :-)

Posted by: camojack at November 17, 2008 03:35 AM