« The Christmas Tree Thread | Main | DimWit of the Day: Billy Joel »

December 15, 2008

Favorite Christmas Foods

OK. You can tell I have way too much to do at work.

Next topic: favorite Christmas foods. Last year the spousal unit shocked the Editorial Staff by asking us to send him a jar of that instant Russian spiced tea mix that we used to make when we were younger.

We had forgotten all about that one - hadn't made that in years but we used to make it all the time when the kids were younger.

2 c. Tang drink mix
1 c. instant tea
1 c. sugar
1 pkg. instant lemonade drink mix
1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. ground cloves

We would have sent him some jalapeno pepper jelly (not our recipe - we use fresh jalapenos!) but we were afraid that would break in the box and make a mess.

What are your favorite holiday treats?

Posted by Cassandra at December 15, 2008 03:06 PM

Comments

Favorite Christmas Food? Easy.

Bourbon or Scotch.

Posted by: KJ at December 15, 2008 03:33 PM

Why am I not surprised? :p

Posted by: Cassandra at December 15, 2008 03:51 PM

So which is your favorite?

Posted by: Cassandra at December 15, 2008 03:51 PM

Ice cream with milk + coffee +lots of sugar.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at December 15, 2008 04:30 PM

Mom had always set out a dish of those jelly orange slices. Christmas was when we could have candy before breakfast!

Posted by: April at December 15, 2008 04:50 PM

Well, now that you ask....PRIME RIB on the barbie. It doesn't get any better than that. I smear the whole thing with crushed garlic. Lindberg & Snider makes a great treatment. If that is hard to find, try Lawry's, it is a great seasoning.

Posted by: Mark at December 15, 2008 05:55 PM

Pepperidge Farm stuffing--with walnuts/pecans, carrots, celery, onion... and gravy. MMmmmm!

Posted by: FbL at December 15, 2008 06:39 PM

OMG.

Mark, I am a beef FIEND.

The year the unit was gone I LIVED on steak, salad, and on the odd weekend a glass of very nice red wine. I was in heaven. When we go out I love to order prime rib. People always look at me like I'm nuts - I guess women don't order prime rib very often, but I *love* it.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 15, 2008 06:42 PM

I'm tickled that the ladys responded to my post. The Weber Kettle is the greatest invention since sliced bread. I cannot screw up a cook on it!

Posted by: Mark at December 15, 2008 06:51 PM

I kind of like hot ciders and mulled wines... though i will settle in a sec for a poker heated cider at south street sea port... :)

Posted by: Artfldgr at December 15, 2008 08:06 PM

Mark, I am a beef FIEND.

What happens without a the beef: are you then just a fiend?

That must be where all that aggression came from...

Posted by: Ymarsakar at December 15, 2008 08:12 PM

i like a t-bone or another large cut... often grilling it on an electric indoor grill in the living room while watching tv and having a mikes hard lime - after all... i 'meditate'. my wifes term for fall asleep happy on the couch. :)

Posted by: Artfldgr at December 15, 2008 08:18 PM

Y that's pretty wierd. I dunno what to say. My Weber is cooking.

Posted by: Mark at December 15, 2008 08:20 PM

If you are talking about the food, just think of it as aesthetics. Mixing Light and Dark together with hot and cold. Coffee, by itself, is bitter but has an entirely different taste with sugar and also an entirely different taste with milk.

I never really found a way to add alcohol to the mix, since alcohol is better in so many wrong ways. Champagne, though, has a nice after taste but I am leery of mixing stimulants (caffeine) with depressants (alcohol). Who knows what that will do to my system.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at December 15, 2008 09:37 PM

bitter, not better. Freudian slip.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at December 15, 2008 09:40 PM

Take some faux crab meat, chop it up real fine in a food processor, and mix it with a brick of cream cheese and a pot full of hot creamy pesto sauce. Whisk it up and let it cool down.

Use this concoction to fill up big mushrooms (stuffed?) and bake at 350F for about 15 minutes.

Yum. I invented that, too.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at December 15, 2008 09:51 PM

My favorite Christmas foods?

Christmas Eve it's bratwurst and tamales (yes, I eat both, but not together), and lebkuechen with hot chocolate while opening presents among the immediate family.

Christmas Day, of course, is the traditional turkey, mashed potatoes and rolls. And, chocolate pie with Cool Whip for dessert.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at December 15, 2008 10:05 PM

Every year my sister makes tenderloin that is so tender you barely have to chew. My parents were thrifty and had 4 kids to feed so we didn't get the more expensive cuts of beef when I was a kid. Christmas was either turkey or goose, but they have been superseded by the Christmas tenderloin.

Like many members of the Greatest Generation, my folks seemed to be under the impression that there was no such thing as overcooking food. So we got a lot of mushy vegetables and chops you could use as hockey pucks. The first time I had a perfectly prepared filet mignon (which my dad would have said disapprovingly was "still mooing"), I nearly broke down in tears in the restaurant.

Posted by: Donna V. at December 15, 2008 10:15 PM

Oh goodness, where to start...

1.) things I make at Christmas time:
- apple pumpkin butter
- dark chocolate fudge
- Daddy's divinity. My Daddy had a wicked sweet tooth which he so kindly passed on to me. This was one of his favorites of the holidays.
- homemade apple pie
- pumpkin cheesecake on a gingersnap crust
- cranberry chutney
- mulled cider (or wine, depending on the day)

2.) things I don't make but love to eat
- anything from See's Candy
- Honeybaked ham
- my MIL's sweet potato apple casserole
- my SIL's peanut brittle. I know it's easy to make but she does it well so I just enjoy hers.
- pumpkin or peppermint ice cream

I could go on but I can feel the calories building up so I'll stop now.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at December 16, 2008 01:48 AM

Christmas dinner is always steak (rib-eyes; at least an inch thick; grilled to perfection by moi 0>;~}) with shrimp (scampi as well as breaded) served with simple sides like green salad, baked potatoes and Texas toast - because it would be a shame to take away any attention from the main course, yanno. And, for me, it's just not the holiday season without Mom's peanut butter fudge to guard zealously from SWHNOB.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at December 16, 2008 02:42 AM

We get some sirloin steaks cut. One year I did a rolled stuffed tenerloin roast. It was delicious.

Favorite Christmas fare is Mock Sparkling Cider with things like caramelized onion, bacon and blue cheese tart, and artichoke dip made from the crowns. YUM.

Posted by: Cricket at December 16, 2008 03:49 AM

1. Old English Christmas Cake (yes, it's fruitcake, but it's delicious)
2. Date-Nut bars rolled in Powdered Sugar.

And one year, our dear Aunt Rhody made us 'velvet hammers', which is a quart of vanilla ice cream, 1/2 cup each of triple sec and creme de cacao, and 1 additional cup of no-name brandy.

And to alllll a gooooooooooooooooooooood night!

Posted by: Aunt Ralph at December 16, 2008 09:58 AM

I also loved those fishballs that you can bounce, once cooked, off the floor and it will go meters into the air.

Those are juicy.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at December 16, 2008 06:03 PM

ymarsakar,
i know those!!! how bout sabu sabu? (and durien?) ah... not the traditional xmas fare, but food is food and i am not gonna quibble. :)

Posted by: Artfldgr at December 17, 2008 09:10 PM

Other favorite foods: Soups and stews. I do make a clam chowder that is to die for. I am working on perfecting my tomato soup, as well as beef stew. For that, you need to make a demi-glace from scratch, which necessitates hunting down beef bones for soup.

Naturally, the CLUs are not protesting the experiments. The oldest CLU has perfected the making of foccacia bread. I guess, being male, he has serious upper body strength, and when it says to knead the dough for eight minutes and not add any flour, he will knead it for eight minutes. Oh is it GOOD and rivals anything Panera Bread or any other bakery can put out.

Wonder what he could do with ciabatta...

Posted by: Cricket at December 18, 2008 06:42 AM

Cricket, maybe he can just go into the Zone and space out for those 8 minutes and not have to think about anything, eh?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at December 18, 2008 03:08 PM

how bout sabu sabu? (and durien?) ah

I'm not good with the names, as I usually can't keep in memory the various names of all the various imported foods or what not.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at December 18, 2008 03:08 PM

=================================================
This stuff is pretty good, although I'd try to get (or grind myself) some powdered brown sugar rather than white sugar, which will make the color more accurate....

Dog Food