« Wrong Question | Main | Merry Christmas »

December 22, 2008

Lullaby

I used to sing this to my babies every night. I think it's the most peaceful song I've ever heard.

Posted by Cassandra at December 22, 2008 05:09 PM

Comments

Nice; never heard it before...and I've got a few J.T. albums.

Posted by: camojack at December 23, 2008 04:15 AM

Taylor had another song that was a lullaby that I sang to my daughter and grandchildren. The lyrics were something like:
"Daddy's baby, what's got you thinking,
what's got you sinking so low?
Is it it something I should know,
something new to you?
Daddy's baby, fussin and frettin,
keepin on gettin it wrong,
you can only last so long,
you're goin for a song,
so sing her a lullaby-by,
baby don't need to cry,
so sing her lullaby-by,
cuddle and coo her,
sing her a lullaby."
I have no idea which album that was on but it was very pretty (at least when he sang it)

Posted by: Terentia at December 23, 2008 01:06 PM

James Taylor, for me, is very much the voice of my youth.

All he has to do is open his mouth to sing and I'm transported back in time.

Every time. Without fail. I've lost count of the memories inextricably intertwined with his songs. They range from when I was just 11 or 12 all the way into my early adult years, when we were just married in college with no money.

Camo, that song is an obscure one. It's so much a part of me that I never realized it though, until the other night. I bought my husband a newer JT CD at Barnes & Noble and somehow it came up in conversation that that song is never on any of his albums/CDs. I always taped mixes of songs I liked, so I guess I never noticed all these years.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 23, 2008 03:41 PM

Wow...what a flashback. I cannot remember a time when I didn't listen to JT. He's one of the very first singers I truly remember from my childhood. Mom and Dad loved him. Mom more than Dad but they both listened to him. I think Mom still has all of his albums. On vinyl.

Time to hit iTunes again. Wow.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at December 24, 2008 01:53 AM

Years ago I used to dance my babies to sleep, night after night, to the tune of James Taylor's "Your Smiling Face." It has just the right lilting beat to carry a reluctant babe off to slumber in a parent's arms -- not to mention lyrics that weren't meant for babies, but that carry over nicely, all the same, to the feelings that inhabit a new parent's heart:
"Whenever I see your smiling face/
I have to smile myself/
Because I love you, yes, I do/
And when you give me that pretty little pout/
It turns me inside out/
There's something about you, baby, I don't know . . . "

Those years are long gone and my former babies are young adults. So imagine my feelings, not too long ago when, from the kitchen, I overheard the three of them and a couple of their friends in the nearby family room, suddenly singing together, for no apparent reason:

"Isn't it amazing a man like me/
Can feel this way/
Tell me how much longer/
It will grow stronger every day/
Oh, how much longer?"