« Lullaby | Main | A Deep and Abiding Faith »

December 25, 2008

Merry Christmas

Well, my living room looks like a wrapping paper factory exploded in the middle of it, the dog has obliged us by throwing up early, there is a tireless (and apparently not sleepy) Burrito running hell for leather up and down my hallway, and in case anyone was wondering the Word of the Day is, "uh-ohhhhhhhhhh".

And on the Internets, people are still arguing about politics.

Yep. It's Christmas all right.

Merry Christmas folks. I am sorry that I haven't been writing lately. I needed some time away to think, and to tell the truth my heart has been a bit heavy lately and I don't need to blather on when I'm in that frame of mind. I want VC to be a hopeful place. We have so much to be hopeful about in this country - we are blessed with so much more than we have any right to expect.

Or at least, I am. I hope 2009 will be filled with talking elephants, toy helicopters, warm puppies and things that fill your hearts with joy. And I hope that you'll share at least a few moments of it here.

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

And the angel said unto them, "Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; ye shall find the Babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger."

And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on Earth peace, goodwill toward men."

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and a very magical Solstice to you all.

Posted by Cassandra at December 25, 2008 11:01 AM

Comments

Oh, what we would not have given to trade our morning "present" from the dogs for mere vomit. We awoke to the "worst ever" manifestation of a "crate disaster," Mrs. TH's delicate term for overnight canine GI troubles. As we are in a small camp (that's Adirondack for "cabin"), we faced the difficult choice of living with the olefactory consequences or opening the windows to the arctic air outside. We all doubled-up on sweaters and went for the second option.

But, Merry Christmas!

Posted by: TigerHawk at December 25, 2008 11:55 AM

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at December 25, 2008 12:08 PM

Oh, and Merry Christmas!

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at December 25, 2008 12:09 PM

Toy helicopters?

Got the real thing.

Merry Christmas, kids!

Posted by: BillT at December 25, 2008 01:05 PM

I guess I should count my blessings! What would we do without dogs?

Merry Christmas, Miss Ladybug. Thanks for the link. Wouldn't be Christmas without it. :)

I thought the 'helicopters' thing would make you laugh, Bill :p

Posted by: Cassandra at December 25, 2008 01:16 PM

I got a toy!

Merry Christmas everybody!

Posted by: spd rdr at December 25, 2008 02:59 PM

Merry Christmas to all the rogues of this Villainous Company!

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at December 25, 2008 03:01 PM

Mele Kalikimaka and Hau'oli Makahiki Hou!

Cass ~ may your heart lighten. You remain in my prayers, my friend.

Bill ~ don't be too crazy with those real, live helifloppers. You're in my prayers too! Stay outta trouble, K?

Posted by: HomefrontSix at December 25, 2008 03:08 PM

Merry Christmas to all the assorted Company!

Posted by: MikeD at December 25, 2008 05:17 PM

Stay outta trouble, K?

What, and die *bored*?

Posted by: BillT at December 25, 2008 05:30 PM

We are in the state of Missouri. Our Christmas has been quiet; filled with miracles, memories and love.

We send y'all our love and hopes for a wonder-filled New Year.

Since this is Exodus, we are the only family in the inn.

Have a good one!

Posted by: Cricket at December 25, 2008 06:11 PM

I got a knife (yes, Bill, it's American....sheesh)....'cause it ain't Christmas here on the Dark side without one, and SWHNOB has been thoroughly occupied by the coolest microscope Santa could find.

Merry Christmas, Villainous Compadres!
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at December 25, 2008 06:15 PM

Well, Christmas has come and just about gone, and we are all still in one piece. I hope you all had more fun than me (I had to wrestle with a problematic router today, and other non-coopertaive software), my dog did not get sick (just loafed around the house), and there were no helicopters in my Christmas either (more's the pity!). One can only wonder what kind of toy spd rdr got for Christmas.
So have fun, fly low, and don't get your wings wet. I have to go down stairs and watch the Season Three DVD of 'The Office' with the wife and kids, and have my cherry pie a la mode dessert and finish the last glass of Riesling wine.

God be with you all and your families friends, especially those of you far from home this year (Bill!), and may the Joy of this Season warm your hearts.
Merry Christmas, Charlie Brown!

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at December 25, 2008 06:17 PM

Merry Christmas, Cassandra.
Happy New Year

Posted by: Stan/Tx at December 25, 2008 06:21 PM

Well, round these here parts, it's not a true Christmas unless there's ammunition involved somehow. MacGyver got a new .45 to play with - woohoo! Which means the Beretta now becomes 'mine' inasmuch as a gun registered in his name can be mine. Wish he didn't have staff duty coming up - otherwise we could go hit the range.

Bill ~ I didn't say you had to be bored. I just said you had to stay out of trouble. That just means don't get caught.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at December 25, 2008 08:31 PM

Merry Christmas to the Villainous Amigos. I had a bit of trouble getting it in gear this year, but my Christmas letter was postmarked Dec 24, so it's technically on time. Sometimes you just have to fake it till you make it. This is one of those times for me.

I have no dog barf or other effluvia to report on, mostly because I have no dog. However, I have a formerly stray cat, Mr. Toshio, a mostly "outside" critter, who has been trying to give me a furball for Christmas. Still under construction, I think.

MathLad had airplanes and helicopters on the brain from a very early age. He always called them "hoppipopters". We still do. :)

We have finished the dinner, have mostly cleaned up, and will now focus on the pie and brownie portions of our evening's entertainment.

Best wishes to all of you. Stay warm, Cricket!

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night.

Posted by: MathMom at December 25, 2008 10:30 PM

Cassandra, Christmas is almost over, but I still made it online to wish you (and the rest of the villainous company you keep) a very Merry Christmas, and a wonderful rest of the year! Enjoy the burrito, the puppies, and the toy helicopters. Life's joys are in the little things, after all.

Posted by: Lela at December 25, 2008 11:27 PM

cassandra
just wanted to swing by and say merry christmas. and to thank you for always inspiring me when i read your blog. it is a very hopeful place.

kate
aka zoey@blatherings blog

Posted by: kate at December 26, 2008 12:14 AM

What do you know, our dog threw up on Christmas, also!

Posted by: Mark at December 26, 2008 06:52 AM

Dogs give selflessly...

Posted by: BillT at December 26, 2008 08:25 AM

I guess my little Pete's just stingy. No doggy effluvia for Christmas. But somehow, I can't feel sad for not getting any.

Posted by: MikeD at December 26, 2008 08:55 AM

Canine hornking... a holiday trend in the making?

VC asks: you decide :P

Merry Christmas Cricket - I was out of it earlier and didn't catch your comment when it came in on my other laptop.

I slept 16 hours (on and off) last night. I think I was tired. Hopefully back tomorrow. Doing Boxing Day open house today, so still mega busy.

My apologies for being AWOL.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 26, 2008 03:23 PM

Canine hornking... a holiday trend in the making?

VC asks: you decide :P

My apologies for being AWOL.

Posted by: Cassandra at December 26, 2008 03:23 PM

BlogPrincess Double-Posting: Will it supplant canine horking as the new holiday trend?

Discuss among yourselves, con brio...

Posted by: BillT at December 26, 2008 04:51 PM

That just means don't get caught.

But the ladies look so *woebegone* if I don't let them catch me, HF6...

*back to rich fantasy life*

Posted by: BillT at December 26, 2008 04:59 PM

I slept 16 hours (on and off) last night.

God bless you. Can we bottle this for the legal community? It would help explaining billable hours.

/snark/

Posted by: spd rd at December 26, 2008 05:29 PM

I'm late to this but I hope everyone had a Merry Christmas. I've enjoyed and appreciated being part of the VC community this past year and look forward to being so in 2009. Thank you, Cassandra, and have a very Happy New Year.

Posted by: Elise at December 27, 2008 12:04 PM

I would love to catch BillT. I owe him for a certain pic..heh.

No biggie about the comment, I know you are busy.
We have been at our house, and I keep forgetting how bassackward this part of Missouri is. However, there is hope. The Texas County sherrif's department is getting the equipment to be able to tell which tower your cell phone is operating from. This is a vast improvement, since cell service in that neck of the woods is negligible at best. Once more towers are in place, there will be the enhanced ability to triangulate a caller's position. I expect GPS/caller ID capability within four more years.

Posted by: Cricket at December 27, 2008 03:51 PM

The new PX is STELLAR! I wandered among the handbags, purses and bags...immediately decided that 300 bucks was a Bit Much, but found a terrific leather one for 47.00

heh.

Posted by: Cricket at December 27, 2008 03:53 PM

I owe him for a certain pic..heh.

Nup. On the house. A freebie. No payback -- uhhhhhh -- *payment* necessary...

*deleting link*

Posted by: BillT at December 27, 2008 06:02 PM

I may not be able to catch you but I'm sending MacGyver in a few months. He'll catch you ;~P

Posted by: HomefrontSix at December 27, 2008 06:35 PM

Gee, if he'd been here in October, he would've had the opportunity to sandblast me when I ground-guided the Hooks that delivered our maintenance stock.

At 2130. Blackout.

Ever get the pix?

Posted by: BillT at December 28, 2008 03:58 AM

Pix of a blackout? How did I ever miss that?

Hope your New Year's is a good one.

Posted by: Cricket at December 28, 2008 08:51 AM

Ever see a Chinook-shaped hole in the sky?

Posted by: BillT at December 28, 2008 09:48 AM

I did get the pix! At first, I thought you had lost your poor mind, sending me a picture of blackness with a few lights in the background. But then I changed the angle of my screen and was able to see it.

Cricket ~ he's right - it is a Chinook-shaped hole in the sky. That's exactly what it looks like.

MacGyver is under strict instructions to come and find you when he gets there. He's looking forward to it. So am I. Now, if I could just figure out how to get him to smuggle me over there....

Posted by: HomefrontSix at December 28, 2008 02:15 PM

Have him tell the Tower Chief to give me a call when he's inbound. She likes me, for some

*ahem*

unknown reason...

Posted by: BillT at December 28, 2008 02:56 PM

I have...at Fort Lewis. Our quarters weren't too far from the airfield. Occasionally we would be told about some wicked kewl astronomical phenomenon and take the CLUs out to the back forty to Observe. Never failed to happen right at the critical moment of the eclipse, some *$&% Chinook...

heh.

My New Vice is Olive Oil cookies. OMGOODNESS are they addictive with a cup of hot herbal tea or chocolate.

I betcha the Tower Chief likes you because you don't give her grief and she appreciates it.

Posted by: Cricket at December 28, 2008 07:52 PM

Nup.

She likes me 'cuz I don't hit on her.

Posted by: BillT at December 29, 2008 01:47 AM

Professionalism? In a PILOT?!!? Oh wait, that's right. It's the fighter jocks that think they're god's gift to women, isn't it?

It's a joke! Don't kill me!

Posted by: MikeD at December 29, 2008 10:14 AM

I'm not a pilot -- I'm an *aviator*.

Huge difference.

*your cue, Sly*

Posted by: BillT at December 29, 2008 11:14 AM

I'm an *aviator*

but not a *Naval (or navel) aviator*. Which is the same as a pilot.

Posted by: HomefrontSix at December 29, 2008 01:12 PM

Nasal Respirators are almost the same thing as pilots, but they spend more time inventing new words for chow hall food...

Posted by: BillT at December 30, 2008 05:53 AM