« The Internet as a Responsibility-Free Zone | Main | A Match Made In Heaven »

December 05, 2008

The Daily DimWit: White Boy Fails Nihlism 101

The next thing you know they'll be teaching these kids some sort of twisted PC nonsense like "White men are human, too":

The student council at an Ottawa university has reversed its controversial decision to pull out of an annual fundraiser for the Canadian Cystic Fibrosis Foundation.

Following vocal protests from students, the Carleton University Students Association voted unanimously Monday night to:

Support next year's cystic fibrosis fundraiser, called Shinerama.
Donate at least $1,000 to the organization.
Issue a formal apology.

In addition, the student councillor who crafted the controversial motion to drop the fundraiser resigned.

Donnie Northrup received hate mail and death threats after he suggested the council find a new charity to support during Orientation Week instead of participating in the same fundraiser as other universities across the country.

His motion incorrectly claimed the disease affects "only white people, and primarily men" and said students should feel their fundraising efforts "will serve their diverse communities."

One other councillor, Sean Maguire, also resigned.

"I love this university," he said, sniffling, his voice choked with emotion. "And it pains me to no end to know that we have damaged its reputation."

Ariel Kimmel, a second-year political science student at Carleton, said the student council embarrassed the whole university.

"I really hope there's lessons learned — that they do need to start representing their students better," she said.

The half vast Editorial Staff were vastly heartened to learn that cystic fibrosis afflicts non-whites and women, too. That, at the least, makes it defensible to support the effort to find a cure.

Posted by Cassandra at December 5, 2008 08:29 AM

Comments

I'm sure the university is equally pained, considering that it's a *medical* school...

Posted by: BillT at December 5, 2008 11:12 AM

When I first heard this story, I was reminded of the rabid feminists of the 70's and 80's who would, in complete sincerity, claim "If men got breast cancer, it would have been cured by now."

Given the fact that men DO get breast cancer (albeit in much smaller numbers) AND the fact that men get testicular cancer (which one imagines men would be even more upset about) and yet there's no cure for either... it just shows how stupid people can be.

The little PC-bots at Carleton University were attempting to demonstrate how inclusive and sensitive they were by insulting the only unprotected (and indeed unprotectable) ethnic/gender group in the PC Universe. White men.

Posted by: MikeD at December 5, 2008 11:22 AM

BillT: So far as I can discover, Carleton U offers no medical programs of any sort.

Posted by: RNB at December 5, 2008 11:49 AM

My bad. Still bleary-eyed, and I took "an Ottawa university" to mean "Ottawa University."

Posted by: BillT at December 5, 2008 12:17 PM

My brother-in-law's younger sister died from CF.

He suffers from some of the recessive traits, and that almost killed him in 1989.

His middle son (25) and youngest daughter (22) also carry some of the recessive traits of CF.

How can people be so stupid?

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at December 5, 2008 12:26 PM

This kind of thing represents a repudiation of philosophical universalism--the belief that common humanity is more important than race/gender/nationality--in favor of the worst sort of tribalism.

At the risk of violating Godwin's Law, I will quote Heinrich Himmler:

"One principle must be absolute for the SS man: we must be honest, decent, loyal, and comradely to members of our own blood and to no one else. What happens to the Russians, what happens to the Czechs, is a matter of utter indifference to me. Whether the other peoples live in comfort or perish of hunger interests me only in so far as we need them as slaves for our Kultur. Whether or not 10,000 Russian women collapse from exhaustion while digging a tank ditch interests me only in so far as the tank ditch is completed for Germany."

I would not assert that the initial Carleton position is equivalent to what Himmler said: I do believe that it undercuts the principles that protect our civilization from such things.

Posted by: david foster at December 5, 2008 12:44 PM

> AND the fact that men get testicular cancer (which one imagines men would be even more upset about) and yet there's no cure for either...

Heh. Ask them how much of a big deal *they* make over testicular cancer...

One suggestion: Be outside of easy slapping range when you ask that.

Posted by: Obloodyhell at December 5, 2008 02:26 PM

Why be *outside* of slapping range?

Half the fun is watching them telegraph the whap, then stepping back when they swing -- and screw themselves into the ground when they don't connect.

Posted by: BillT at December 5, 2008 02:36 PM

That's why I always use a one-two combo....
heh
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at December 5, 2008 05:13 PM

How can people be so stupid?

Evolution designed human beings to learn best through experience, not from inside a classroom.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at December 5, 2008 05:35 PM

That's why I always use a one-two combo....

What is this one-two combo, you talk about, Sly. Is it painful?

Posted by: Ymarsakar at December 5, 2008 05:35 PM

" Is it painful?"

Judging by those who've *experienced* it upfront, I'd have to say it was as painful as the situation warranted.

Posted by: DL Sly at December 5, 2008 07:16 PM

I'd have to say it was as painful as the situation warranted.

Ack so, it has a veritable speed adjustor thinga then? Higher or lower depending on the situation.

Posted by: Ymarsakar at December 6, 2008 09:31 AM

That's why I always use a one-two combo....

Posted by: BillT at December 6, 2008 11:00 AM

> Thereby bringing an entirely new expression to the English language -- "Oh, go unscrew yourself!"

Doesn't work with me. I'm unscrutable.

Posted by: Obloodyhell at December 8, 2008 11:32 PM

Too late. I've already sworn never to give money to AIDS research, or to sickle cell, or to breast cancer causes. I mean, since I personally don't need to worry about those things, screw it. Why should I bother?

And if these students ever get some fatal illness, even if it is something I might conceivably get myself, I don't want them passing the hat around me. The only ailments and causes and conditions I will contribute to are ones directly affecting me.

Fair enough? I can be at least as moral as a Canadian college student.

Posted by: Steve Skubinna at December 9, 2008 12:41 AM

Fair enough? I can be at least as moral as a Canadian college student.

Which translates to being as moral as a shark ; )

Posted by: Ymarsakar at December 9, 2008 02:45 PM