« Press Briefings | Main | Something To Be Proud Of? »

January 30, 2009

A Village Somewhere Is Missing Its Idiot

*sigh*:

Many US Airways (LCC) passengers who endured a crash landing in the Hudson River 12 days ago say they appreciate the $5,000 that the airline has offered — but some say it's not enough. Joe Hart, a salesman from Charlotte who suffered a bloody nose and bruises, says he "would like to be made whole for the incident."

It's too soon after the accident to determine what emotional distress he has suffered, he says.

Of course, the healing process could be speeded up considerably via the liberal application of cold, hard cash.

Incroyable.

Posted by Cassandra at January 30, 2009 06:23 PM

Comments

Maybe I'm not appreciative enough of the suffering of a bloody nose and bruises, it has been a while since I've had my nose bloodied. But it seems like escaping with one's arse intact AND being given $5k to boot, after having the misfortune of riding a (water)fowled passenger jet into a river, ought to be plenty good.

Made whole... Uh huh.

Posted by: bthun at January 30, 2009 07:01 PM

I'll make him hole...uh, whole. I am scared spitless of flying and believe me, the geese, or faux gras, were NOT something the pilot planned for, although he was prepared. If the airline offered me 5 grand for surviving a crash and having a safe pilot, I would take it and never fly again. This means swimming the Atlantic to go to Europe, but my dislike of open water with sea beasties swimming in it is another topic for the Oprah Winfrey show.

Posted by: Cricket at January 30, 2009 08:08 PM

I would like to borrow this man's glove and slap him across the face with it.

Ungrateful @$$.

Posted by: MathMom at January 30, 2009 08:08 PM

The guy is looking for a payout on the cheap. Rather like suing General Motors for emotional troubles because someone stole your car. Bah.

But elsewhere, while I appreciate the airline making an across-the-board offer to all passengers, come now. Isn't five hundred bucks for lost luggage about what the law requires anyway? And that bump from business to coach or 1st class - fine, but one year? No, "lifetime" would be a bit silly, but three years is more likely to be of actual benefit.

Posted by: teqjack at January 30, 2009 08:10 PM

Erm, note the 500 is added (I think) to by the 5,000.

Posted by: teqjack at January 30, 2009 08:12 PM

I'd spend my $5,000 buying beer for the pilot and the ferry drivers that hauled my sorry ass out of the water.

Posted by: Sly's Wardrobe Mistress at January 30, 2009 08:36 PM

Airlines aren't responsible of acts of God. IMO, that guy's lucky the airline was offering the five grand...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at January 30, 2009 10:51 PM

Having worked the aviation propulsion industry for some time, I well know that it is impossible to make engines that are fully protected from such large birds. Flight has risks. If they are unacceptable to you take a car, train, or bus. Or just don't go.

Those complaining of getting a free, no commitment required, payment from US Air, something to let one move on a bit, replace the computer and stuff in the luggage...they really need to get a grip. Make whole for a bloody nose? He should be on his knees giving prayers of thanks that it is not his family instead asking to be made whole for his loss. He should thank the flight crews, the emergency responders, and those who engineered the systems that seem to have worked perfectly in this case.

I pray for the day we will implement loser pays tort systems to clear the courts of dumb claims, and for judges to have the authority to force the losing attorney to personally pay the cost in the worst cases.

Posted by: Tom B at January 30, 2009 11:33 PM

"Plaintiff will approach the bench."

*shuffle-shuffle*

"Given the choice, sir, between death by dismemberment or drowning and a bloody nose, which would you wish for?"

"Ummmm, a bloody nose."

"On January 15, 2009, you got your wish. Case dismissed."

Posted by: BillT at January 31, 2009 06:17 AM

BillT -

You can't improve on perfection! Perhaps the judge in the eventual case will be mind-melded with you.

Posted by: MathMom at January 31, 2009 03:49 PM

Oooog. A jurist mind-melding with me would either result in a rash of Trials by Ordeal or the reincarnation of Roy Bean...

Posted by: BillT at January 31, 2009 04:49 PM

Is it OK to use the word "douchebag" on this blog? Because now would be a good time.

Posted by: TigerHawk at January 31, 2009 04:54 PM

In our household we refer to dogs that don't have to be protected from hawks, owls and muskie as being "real dogs". Joe Hart is not a "real man". Sorry, thanks for playing.

Posted by: tyree at January 31, 2009 05:15 PM

And his lawyer is a jerk.

Posted by: tyree at January 31, 2009 05:15 PM

M-o-o-o-o-o-m-m-m-m!

TigerHawk said a TV word again!

Posted by: BillT at January 31, 2009 05:34 PM

You know, TH is that way. When he isn't saying bad words, he's blogging about sex :p

Posted by: Cassandra at January 31, 2009 07:47 PM

They do that a lot in Princeton.

Y'know -- *talk* about it.

Posted by: BillT at January 31, 2009 10:55 PM

This ungrateful person would be washing up on the banks of the Hudson if not for the Grace of G_d and the skill of the pilot. He should be thankful that the nosebleed was the extent of his injuries.

Posted by: James McEnanly at February 1, 2009 12:08 AM

I like the suggestion someone else had that those suing the airline be thrown back into the freezing Hudson.

I say they're welcome to sue the flock of geese that caused the accident if they can find any of the charred pieces.

Posted by: Tony at February 2, 2009 04:21 PM

He should spend his time on Cancer awareness and lessen hours used to shoot trouble. Mrs.Wenche Abd al-Aziz

Posted by: Mrs.Wenche Abd al-Aziz at June 22, 2009 11:29 AM