« Rear View Window Caption Contest | Main | Finally Putting Aside Childish Things... »

January 20, 2009

It Is Done

Now that my mind has somewhat recovered from all the soaring rhetoric about how there are no trade-offs to be made between our highest ideals and our security (get back to me in 18 months on that one, Barack) and how America is once again the friend of every nation, I can finally sit back with my third double Kahlua on the rocks and reflect on why W was a divider instead of a non-divisive uniter like Barack Obama.

Healing rhetoric like this:

"We ask you to help us work for that day when black will not be asked to get in back, when brown can stick around, when yellow will be mellow, when the red man can get ahead, man; and when white will embrace what is right."

'Tis like the proverbial balm of Gilead, no? Nothing like a few strokes of those marvelously restorative racial stereotypes to sound just the right notes at a presidential inauguration. Brings folks right together.

Makes you wonder, doesn't it?

Those old hatreds aren't going to pass any time soon if folks can't seem to grasp the simple fact that constantly nursing old grievances doesn't encourage them to heal.

Posted by Cassandra at January 20, 2009 04:12 PM

Comments

Wow..... Like, I'm finally ahead of the trend!!! I embraced what is right so long ago I can't remember being left! Kinda like that country song..... you know the one... "before country was cool".

William sends
(from so far to the right that modern Republicans look more like JFK than conservatives)

Posted by: William at January 20, 2009 04:42 PM

Deep Change is needed in this nation of ours, if we are to do as President Obama, and previous adminstrations, have requested of us all: To pick ourselves up, dust ourselves off and get on with the business of being a great country. If the left continues to wallow in a desire to investigate the previous administration then there is no hope for us as a nation to move forward. Likewise if the right is anything other than the loyal opposition then once again there is little hope for America to take its place as the leader in and preserver of democracy and freedom around the world.

Not only will despots be judged on what they build and not in what they destroy, so to will our country be judged by those who hate us, not because of who our President is, but because of what we represent.

Posted by: David M at January 20, 2009 04:43 PM

So, only those with white tinged skin have a duty to do what is right?

The rhymes weren't even good. Maybe they should have tried some haiku instead.

Posted by: airforcewife at January 20, 2009 04:53 PM

HAIKU!

When all white is wrong
And all others are victims
Three lefts make a right

We are all special
every one of us is so
just like all others

William sends

Posted by: William at January 20, 2009 05:16 PM

Wait, I think I translated that benediction:

What I meant to say
Is that all white people suck
Give me your money.

You think? That's what I understood from it, anyway.

Posted by: airforcewife at January 20, 2009 05:26 PM

More Haiku!

Hope and change is now.
four more years another change?
The wheel keeps turning.

William sends

Posted by: William at January 20, 2009 06:01 PM

Race-baiting me as a white who never gets it right I take exception to his attempts to make me feel guilty because of my skin color.

I condemn past injustices and criminality with equal enthusiasm. I do not fall victim, however, to his subtle entreaties for me to seek repentance for sins I am not guilty of. I am certainly guilty of sins but racism is not one of them.

Posted by: vet66 at January 20, 2009 06:05 PM

I recorded the inauguration because I was out of pocket during the event, and just finished listening to it. I always try mightily to pay attention to his speeches, but my mind always wanders. It's just sentences, always sentences. I have never understood the "soaring" thing, and gotta say, not even the crowd acted like they were hearing anything soaring.

Maybe I can't pay attention because he makes assumptions that I just can't exactly take as fact, and as I try to figure out if I agree with the premise, he has gone on to his conclusions, and I'm left saying, Huh?

Anyway, I'm glad it's almost over. There has got to be a time when the MSM has run out of superlatives and flowery language and adulation, and starts to look at the empty man behind the empty rhetoric. Well, maybe not.

I am proud to say that my senator, John Cornyn, put a fly in the ointment of Hillary Clinton's confirmation. May not mean much, but it's better than just rolling over.

Posted by: MathMom at January 20, 2009 06:10 PM

Mathmom,

The MSM is still in love with Bill Clinton.... I do not hold out hope that they will be any better or more factual with their current object of obsession.

William (who would love to be surprised and wrong) sends

Posted by: William at January 20, 2009 06:23 PM

You make a good point William, thanks for sendsing.

I got nothing, I just wanted to use the word sendsing.

The poetry at the inauguration was...., well poetry just isn't what it used to be.

Posted by: Pile On at January 20, 2009 06:40 PM

I disavow guilt
It is not mine but all men's
Women are perfect

Posted by: Cricket at January 20, 2009 07:51 PM

Perzactly :p

I don't take any of this too seriously. It just struck me as a bit surprising considering the whole Rev. Wright thing and the talk about putting away childish things, uniting and pulling together.

I sometimes wonder what goes through people's heads. But then that's proof positive that when you're in the majority, you become amazingly tone deaf regardless of party.

As I always say, people are people wherever you go.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 20, 2009 09:03 PM

Mathmom~

Where in Texas? I was glad to here about Sen. Cornyn, too. He generally takes positions I can support. Our other senator, on the other hand, doesn't always seem to stick to conservative principles. And she wants to be my governor? I'm not so sure about that...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at January 20, 2009 09:08 PM

Why should the race hustlers change their ways now? I mean, if bringing up past wrongs where you were forced to the back of the line, now always get you preferentially moved up to the front of the line in all cases, where is the incentive to stop?

Posted by: a former european at January 20, 2009 09:17 PM

Posted by: RNB at January 20, 2009 09:19 PM

Mrs. Cass.,
If people are people, why should it be that you (collective) and I get along so awfully?....Help me understand...

Cricket,
A man's broad shoulders
can bear guilt, rage, fear, and pain
A zephyr in spring

PileOn,
Sendsing a blogger
Higher callings have I none
The path not taken

William sends

Posted by: William at January 20, 2009 09:34 PM

That was kind of my point. It is extremely difficult to move beyond divisions and old hatreds if you continue to exacerbate them every chance you get.

People do begin to wonder what it is that you want when you on the one hand say, "When, O when will we begin to judge each other simply as human beings instead of blacks, whites, etc," and then remind people that you assume most people's behavior is determined by their skin color on the other.

Kind of reminds me of St. Augustine's famous prayer: (paraphrased) "O Lord grant me poverty and chastity... but not yet." :p

Posted by: Cassandra at January 20, 2009 10:39 PM

"O Lord, let the Dow Jones go back to 14,500, at least, so my 401K plan is worth something again, and I may actually have something to retire on. And make it real soon, too!"

Barack Obama from Chicago
Is a new Paradigm
So they say
Burma shave!

(not very good haiku, but then I am not a yellow man from the east)

Obama widely praised
Mass media tongue bath
Eerie forboding abounds

Better?

I wish the man well and sincerely hope nothing but good things happen to him and his family, but I have seen a few of these "new paradigms" in my life, and they usually never end particularly well.

To conclude this meaningless rant, I quote John Cleese from "Monty Python and the Search for the Holy Grail":

"...let's not got to Camelot, that's a silly place."

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at January 20, 2009 11:24 PM

Miss Ladybug -

North of Houston (or You-stin as they say it here). You live in The Republic too, eh? Yeah, I'm not always sure about Kay Bailey Hutchison, but I write to her and she answers. Says, "Well, thanks for writing to me! I might not take your thoughts into account, though!"

She'll have to do some serious convincing for me to think she should be Gov. Rick Perry doesn't seem to be totally ruining the place, except for his edict that all girls must have the cervical cancer vaccine. He had to back off on that, though, if memory serves. She was really "NO" on Sarah Palin, I think because she thought she was going to be asked to be VP. THAT would have been a yawneroo. McCain would have lost by 30 points.

Posted by: MathMom at January 20, 2009 11:25 PM

I should be in bed
But it's Obama day two
And the sun might rise

Posted by: spd rdr at January 21, 2009 01:08 AM

My house is paid off!
I don't have to pay for gas!
The Lightworker rulz!!!

Posted by: MathMom at January 21, 2009 08:12 AM

I called my liberal daughter last night and got her voice mail. My message, "Hi, I suppose you guys have popped the cork on the champagne by now. I did my celebrating too. Walked up to the local pub and they had the parade on the big TV. When the bartender asked if I wanted my usual Stoly and tonic I told her to just bring me the bottle."

Posted by: BillMax at January 21, 2009 11:04 AM

The divisiveness will continue as long as there are those who will be offended, no matter what. I will be building an 'air raid' shelter in my back yard, and won't come out until it is all over.

Posted by: Cricket at January 21, 2009 11:45 AM

> We are a nation of Christians and Muslims, Jews and Hindus - and non-believers.

So why is it that the non-believers get to define the standards for the majority of us?

Just curious.

Posted by: Obloodyhell at January 21, 2009 12:11 PM

> Guys, that's Joseph Lowery. He does things like that. When Pres. Bush came to Atlanta for Coretta Scott King's funeral, Lowery insulted him at the services. For him, it's always 1965 and always will be.

Yet another reason why the world will be a lot better off when the boomers are dead and gone. Their legacy of inflexibility even AFTER the problem is mostly gone, and their willful begrudgement of every historic slight (as well as willingness to blame the completely innocent for it nowadays) continues to be a major sticking point in every possible advancement.

And apologies to anyone with a brain who actually also happens to qualify for the appelation "boomer".

Posted by: Obloodyhell at January 21, 2009 12:15 PM

BillMax,
I celebrated at the range. Never have innocent pieces of paper been so senselessly slaughtered.

Well, Barney might not agree.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at January 21, 2009 12:18 PM

"Yet another reason why the world will be a lot better off when the boomers are dead and gone." Rev. Lowery was born on 6 Oct. 1921.

Posted by: RNB at January 21, 2009 12:37 PM

Hey, I just realized. The Obamassiah has just performed his first miracle since ascending the throne: You can make a racist statement on national TV and Liberals won't care!

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at January 21, 2009 03:14 PM

So, I guess we are all brothers and sisters except for whites and yellows?

Posted by: jorb at January 21, 2009 06:39 PM

Hey look buddy, whatcher problem there?

You uptight?

Or not right? :p

You people are all the same.

Posted by: Cassandra at January 21, 2009 06:50 PM

What exactly do you mean by "you people", whitey? The Struggle continues. (Black Power salute).

Posted by: a former european at January 27, 2009 04:36 AM