« Obama and Perverse Incentives | Main | More Perverse Incentives: the Cost of Class Warfare »

February 27, 2009

A Bit Late for Buyer's Remorse, Isn't It?

When we elected Obama, we didn't know what a gambler we were getting.

You've got to be kidding me:

...I am absolutely certain that generations from now, we will be able to look back and tell our children that this was the moment when we began to provide care for the sick and good jobs to the jobless; this was the moment when the rise of the oceans began to slow and our planet began to heal; this was the moment when we ended a war and secured our nation and restored our image as the last, best hope on earth. This was the moment—this was the time—when we came together to remake this great nation ...

From this man, you expected humility?

I believe Grim said it best:

"Holy crap, people. Get ahold of yourselves."

Posted by Cassandra at February 27, 2009 07:24 AM

Comments

"Holy crap, people. Get ahold of yourselves."

They did.

Unfortunately, we're getting jerked around with them.

Posted by: BillT at February 27, 2009 11:00 AM

Maybe that's what they did. They had ahold of themselves instead of the voting lever when they pulled, and well, yanno, time after time...maybe the lever just got *stuck*. 0>;~} This mess ain't gonna clean up with a washcloth....or blue dress, though.

Posted by: DL Sly at February 27, 2009 11:17 AM

And I am absolutely certain that in about ten years from now, we will no longer be able to look our children in the eye and seriously argue that shouldn't unplug our life support system.

What a bunch of dopes.

Posted by: spd rdr at February 27, 2009 03:13 PM

Gee, that sounds positively scary, spd.

What was that '60's movie?

"Wild in the Streets" ?

After skimming the contents and comments of some lefty-progressive blogs, I am convinced that no matter what Obama does to be "progressive", it won't be enough, and the self-identified progressive liberal will always want "more".

These people have the qualities of a remora.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at February 27, 2009 03:43 PM

A remora has the decency to refrain from chewing on the critter giving it its free ride through life.

I think you meant lamprey.

Posted by: BillT at February 27, 2009 03:49 PM

Are you referring to my children, my government, or my Fenway the Dog?

Posted by: spd rdr at February 27, 2009 04:11 PM

I know you were just snarking but that's why they shouldn't pull the plug, mr rdr.

All those years of loving care. I have no suggestions for Fenway, other than keeping hats and shoes away from him.

Posted by: Big Al "It Snows Wherever He Goes" Gore at February 27, 2009 04:47 PM

What's a Fenway?

About fifty pounds.

*rimshot*

Posted by: BillT at February 27, 2009 04:52 PM

"*rimshot*"

*snnnicker*
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at February 27, 2009 07:29 PM

About 98 pounds. We don't do but big honkin' dogs.

Posted by: spd rdr at February 27, 2009 11:18 PM

Okay -- amended to "...when he was seven months old."

That's about the time Scout passed through fifty enroute to 120.

Posted by: BillT at February 28, 2009 03:15 AM

The Weiner beast used to weigh about 16.5 pounds, soaking wet. He's much less than that now.

I grew up with big dogs (German Shorthairs) but having had a medium sized one (Beagle) and a miniature one (Sausage), I don't know if I'd get a big dog again unless I had a big yard for him or her to run in. They need to be able to run a lot, and a big dog is just.... well, big. When they do the same things a small dog does, the fact that their bodies are so big makes it harder to live with.

They have to be awfully well trained to make up for that.

Dogs are funny. I remember our dog Baron swiping entire roasts we had planned to cook for dinner. The worst Sausage has done is that one night when The Unit was in Iraq, he swiped my steak!

I was really mad, too. I'd just gone out to get myself a nice steak and a bottle of red wine and the little thief swiped my steak!

But that was my fault - I came back from the store and left the bags on the floor for a moment while I answered the phone. It used to be that we could leave a plate of food right next to him, and he wouldn't bother it unless we were gone a long time.

No more :p

Posted by: Cassandra at February 28, 2009 07:06 AM

Jake and Gabby can stand on their hind legs and lean their elbows on the counter -- but they *may not* do so. Scout just has to crane her neck a bit to eyeball whatever I'm doing.

I can leave anything on the counter and it's safe -- unless it's cheese.

Or peanut butter.

Or cheese dipped in peanut butter.

Don't ask...

Posted by: BillT at February 28, 2009 08:31 AM

Tashyanna (about 90 lbs) and Hunter (easily 120 lbs), the two youngest *terrorists* in our splinter cell, love avocados and oranges. I can understand the oranges. (Actually, I kinda like that. Oranges make their breath smell ohh sooo much better.) But these two garbage-guts will eat very unripe avocados all day long -- no matter the trouble they get into for going under the fence to get them.

Posted by: DL Sly at February 28, 2009 10:43 AM

A few good stories of the wonderfulness of pups makes living in the Age of Aquarius, Part II, just a bit easier. If only for the moment.

Thanks for the smiles.