« It's Official: We've Elected a Feel-good President | Main | Racial Slurs Are OK When The Reality Based Community Disagrees With the Victim »

February 25, 2009

Calling All Cooks!!! Updated

We are in week two of recipe submissions for the Milbloggers' Cookbook to benefit Honor Their Service activities such as Operation Fresh Air.

Recipes are more than just a list of ingredients and cooking methods. They evoke memories of friends. They remind one of particular events.
When I cook a friend's recipe, I feel just a little bit closer to them no matter if they are next door or on the other side of the world.

So far, I've received about 50 recipes. My goal is to include at least 200 in the cookbook. These have come from the following blogs:
Chromed Curses
Mrs. G
Maggie
ArmyWifeToddlerMom
Hooah Wife

Blogs who are supporting the cookbook include:

Honor Their Service, inc., the home of such great projects as Operation Fresh Air and Operation Santa at the Hospitals, is putting together a Milbloggers' Cookbook.
The cookbook proceeds will go to helping us support wounded/injured servicemembers and their families with fishing events as well as some soon to be announced projects.

We need submissions from milbloggers and commenters alike in all catagories (appetizers, sides, salads, soups, main dishes, desserts, drinks, etc.) If you have a recipe (or two) that you are particularly proud of, we'd love to put them in the book.
In addition, you can submit pictures if you like. I ask only that you don't submit pictures of people in speedos. Speedophobia is not a joking matter, people.

We will also be featuring favorite recipes as well as memories from some Gold and Silver star families. These folks, as well as our active duty (Blue star) folks, are the very reason why Honor Their Service exists.

Here are the details:
Send your recipes (and any questions you might have) to HTScookbook@yahoo.com.
We are accepting recipes from today until March 9th.

The cookbook will be made available for sale after we negotiate and have them printed. The price is going to depend on how many recipes we are including and what type of binding we want. Juat as our events are modest proposals ($500 for an Operation Fresh Air event), we will make sure that the cost of the cookbook will reflect the same attitude.

I'm excited to see what you all like to cook!!!

Posted by Carrie at February 25, 2009 01:20 PM

Comments

Well, my legendary jello shots aren't all that hard to make (just hard to clean up after, well, nevermind...), so I'll spare you that submission, but I will be happy to share my famous deployment comfort food recipes. Ummmmm. Oh no, now I'm hungry....

Posted by: The Girl Can Cook, Really, She Can at February 25, 2009 02:42 PM

Sign me up, little lady!

Rattling around this head I've got recipes for jambalaya and dirty rice and ribs and hungarian chicken stew and chicken this and chicken that and clams and ducks and oysters and sauerbratten and short ribs and pot roast and pot pies and spaghetti sauce and even a special recipe for concocting Obama Stimulous butter-filled baloney rolls!

Count me, and my troops (family) as all in.

Posted by: spd rdr at February 25, 2009 02:49 PM

Me too!

I have one for cheesecake and one for brownies.

Comfort food is needed.

Posted by: Cricket at February 25, 2009 03:35 PM

Okay, this is right up my alley. What format do you want them in?

Posted by: Deb at February 25, 2009 05:33 PM

You've already got my salsa recipe - if you need me to re-send it, let me know - and I'm pretty sure I have an additional recipe or three lurking around.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at February 25, 2009 07:32 PM

Ooh...let's see:

Bourbon Smoked Salmon
Tequila Lime Chicken
Vegetarian Lasagna
Chunky Apple Pie
Minestrone Soup
Hobo Stew
Pecos Pasta

the list is long. What format would you like them in?? These will make wonderful Christmas gifts this year!!!

Posted by: Sly's Wardrobe Mistress at February 26, 2009 01:00 PM

I think either email or a Word document would be fine (Notepad too if you don't have Word).

Posted by: Cass at February 26, 2009 01:10 PM

Crème De Menthe Brownies

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 16-oz can chocolate syrup
1 teaspoonf vanilla
Mix and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and let cool.

Middle layer:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons (or to taste) green creme de menthe liqueur
Mix and spread over brownies, refrigerate to solidify icing

Top layer:
1 cup chocolate chips
6 tablespoons butter
Melt and then let cool slightly (if you don't it'll melt the icing: Not Good Eats™). Spread on top of middle layer. Refrigerate.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at February 26, 2009 02:04 PM

Got a bar-none-best-I've-ever-had chocolate cake plus icing recipe from my mom last fall. Make it twice and you use a whole box of Hershey's cocoa :-)

Definitely worthy of consideration!

Posted by: Lisa-in-DC at February 26, 2009 11:53 PM