« Graphoria | Main | Tug of War »

February 11, 2009

Dear President Obama,

Sunday, as my husband and I were returning from massively stimulating the economy, we passed a car that had the following on it's bumper:
"Honor the Warrior, Not the War."
I've always been of the opinion that you can't do one without the other. That's just me, I guess.
Yesterday, I saw that you are going to consider lifting the ban on media at Dover and I started thinking about that bumper sticker again.

I didn't vote for you but I know many people who either have that bumper sticker on their car or burned on their brain did. I am now willing to join with them on, at least, the first premise. Let's join together in the spirit of bipartisanship and honor the warriors.

Our first step together should be keeping the ban on press at Dover in place. It is the least we can do for the warriors who made the ultimate sacrifice wearing the uniform of this country. The warriors who pledged to uphold and defend the Constitution of this country over which you preside.

Personally, I have never had to deal with this kind of loss. I thank God for that. I do, however, know some folks who have. I had the honor of hearing this incredibly thoughtful southern gentleman speak at a conference a couple of years ago. He's also written you a letter. You see, Sir, he's been to Dover to bring his son home.

I don't expect that we're going to agree on many issues that will come up during your time in the White House. I do hope that we can at least agree to honor the warriors who honored this country with their service and their sacrifice.
God bless you. God bless this country.
Carrie
A Marine wife and mom

Posted by at February 11, 2009 09:37 AM

Comments

The Obama Administration "Failure To Launch"

Michael Graham Conservative and Camille Paglia Liberal agree the first few weeks of this new Obama administration has been awful.

Posted by: Ree at February 11, 2009 11:27 AM

Common logic belies the conspiracy behind the trite "I support the troops but not the war!" I have had this conversation with liberals on too many occasions to count. I point out that however noble the sentiment sounds or how warm and fuzzy it makes the person gag while voicing support for the military (Industrial Complex), it fails the test of logic. What they are really saying is the troops are getting injured and dying for nothing.

When I point out that this is a volunteer military and saving the world from tyrants, despots, killers, rapists, and fanatics is a noble cause in and of itself, they fall back on BDS. I then suggest they familiarize themselves with the atrocities committed against the population during Saddam's rule of terror. They then invariable bring up Abu Ghraib which pales in significance to the hazing rituals going on in many most frat/sorority houses during initiation.

They believe what they want to believe and are studiously impervious to logic, reason, and sanity. They want to pimp our dead for sectarian bias and propaganda and nothing more.

I belong to the Patriot Guard Riders. It will be interesting how we, and other groups, deal with the inevitable intrusion of these anarchists who choose to disrupt the solemn proceedings of our wounded and fallen heroes.

Hold the line!

Posted by: vet66 at February 11, 2009 12:07 PM

All right!

Welcome to VC. Carrie will be posting here from time to time (hopefully frequently!). There will be other miscreants in the lineup too.

Stay tuned.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 11, 2009 12:11 PM

People deserve to come home in peace. The cruelest single act that I've seen in a life of 65 years involved a 1st Lieutenant who came home in a coffin. 1st Lt. Eugene Rathman had earned three Air Medals and one Silver Star with the 101st in 43 days in country in Viet Nam in late 1968. He was a fellow fraternity brother; I'd known both him and his family when he was a freshman pledge and I was a senior. He was a good solid guy, and a hard charger and did his best at whatever he did. He died a hard charger too, taking on a NVA machine gun nest. He was one of two children. As the oldest child and only son, he was one of the lights of his parent's life. He came home for a funeral service in a Lutheran church where, typical of him, he'd been President of the Church Youth Group.

The "youth pastor" at the church presided over the funeral service; he had been the youth pastor when the 1st Lieutenant had been a high school student. The pastor took the opportunity to denounce the war and to suggest that, since the 1st Lieutenant had died in an unjust war and for an unjust cause, salvation did not await. The pastor could have given Mr. and Mrs. Rathman hope and consolation--and chose not to. That was a moral atrocity.

I've only rarely been back in a civilian church since, and I suspect that my revulsion at this profoundly immoral act was shared by many of the 500 other people at the funeral.

The sort of nonsense promoted by the sectarian left injures many people, and disrespects the dead.

Posted by: Mike Myers at February 11, 2009 12:42 PM

Vet66..
Hold the line indeed!!!

Cass, thanks for the hospitality. I am not a miscreant, I just play one on tv.

Posted by: Carrie at February 11, 2009 12:44 PM

Welcome to the Front page Carrie!

And Vet, it is not necesarily the case that you can't support one without the other. It is possible to see the an endevour as noble, but still not a good idea. For example, a frail 98lb unarmed grandmother intervening in an armed robbery is noble, but probably ill-advised.

If however, you view the endevour as immoral, you kind of have to think the same of the people doing them. As much as I hate using movie quotes, "It is not what's underneath that counts, it's what you *do* that defines you."

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at February 11, 2009 01:07 PM

"... I just play one on tv."

Was that before or after the night at the Hollywood Holiday Inn Express?
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at February 11, 2009 01:36 PM

The current wars have been raging since 2002 and although you may think otherwise, a young man or woman raising his/her right hand and swearing allegience to the United States for the purpose of joining the military does not sign up for or against a specific enemy or war. Nowhere in that allegience does it mention Iraq or Afghanistan, the Taliban or Al Qaeada. You are signing up to combat enemies of the United States, foreign or domestic. It is this generic military that is being joined and it is this generic military that will be deployed for combat operations at the whim of the legal Civilian command authorities. In that vein, is it possible to support the troops but not support the mission - I would say that it is possible but you have to realize these same troops are carrying out the mission. Yes, at the command of the Commander in Chief but they are still the sharp end of the spear being thrust at the designated enemy. It is here where I think you cannot discriminate between supporting the mission or supporting the troops.

Posted by: SShiell at February 11, 2009 01:36 PM

Posted by: Ree at February 11, 2009 01:43 PM

As to the post, I must confess to the fact that just having this particular issue back on the *front page*, so to speak, angers me to the point of incoherency. (just typing this took six edits.) I. Can't. Believe. The. Gall. This is not a matter for the POTUS (any sitting President, not just Xerxes in this case), SCOTUS, the MSM, nor even the SecDef to decide. The decision lies with the families of those men and women. No one else!
*grrrrr*

Ok, time to go destroy something inanimate.
*off in search of an axe and a block of wood*

Posted by: DL Sly at February 11, 2009 01:49 PM

Beautiful letter, Carrie. To politicize the ultimate sacrifice of a proud warrior and bring a media spotlight on a family's grief is a crass and completely disrespectful move. Thank you.

Posted by: Deb at February 11, 2009 02:06 PM

Making the Dover Air Base safe for Code Pink. Just wait and see.

This whole thing makes me throw up a little in my mouth. Who do they think they're kidding?

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at February 11, 2009 02:39 PM

Long term: I'll reserve some tar and feathers for the CNN twit and any others in favor of taking away the privacy of the fallen and their loved ones.

Short term: I'll follow DL Sly's lead and go abuse something inanimate.

Posted by: bthun at February 11, 2009 03:16 PM

Thanks Carrie, great job.

Posted by: Mrs G at February 11, 2009 03:20 PM

Nice debut, Carrie.

That said, I see the Slackerita has hired on new help because like me, she can't get the others to post much.

Heh. Bill uses "I'm in Iraq" as an excuse. Dusty uses "I'm at 35,000 trying not to crash" as an excuse.

We both need to relook our HR policies...

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at February 11, 2009 03:22 PM

In Canada, the bodies of KIAs in Afghanistan are returned to CFB Trenton, located in a small town east of Toronto, Ontario. Policy is to seal the base, restricting access to family and military support personnel. Our media were terribly upset about not being able to intrude.

The media have no place. Period. Tough on them. No cheap stories.

The procedure followed is to transport the remains to Toronto using the limited access 401 highway (similar to your Interstate highways). The official name of this highway has been changed for the route from Trenton to Toronto. That stretch is now called the Heroes Highway.

When the hearse and accompanying vehicles pass, vehicles will stop, firefighters and police will set up on overpasses to salute, along with thousands of ordinary Canadians. It gives a chill to see the depth of the tribute from those who are usually portrayed as passive, non-involved, anti-military.

I realize you have a media president ... but I would urge you to work very hard to exclude media.

Regards.

Posted by: George Smith at February 11, 2009 03:43 PM

Thanks for all the kind words of welcome and encouragement. It's a hard task to blog next to Cassandra. Hope to measure up...at least a little.

Sly, I would just make it off limits to media at Dover. They will have opportunities as the loved one makes his/her way home. More often than not, there is more than one coffin on these flights. What if one family says yes and another says no? What if one family member says yes and one from the same family says no? I just think Dover should be left alone. It's almost a zoning thing for me. Let them get their toe in the door and who the helk knows what will come next. I'd rather not find out.

George, I am heartened to hear what goes on in Canada when one of your warriors comes home. FWIW, that does happen here too. I've seen it and it renews my faith in humanity.
Not to mention, it makes my allergies act up.
And yeah, I plan to work very hard to make sure the ban is upheld.

Posted by: Carrie at February 11, 2009 04:21 PM

Thank you for taking up the cause on this. Just as we do not give the media the names of the fallen first before we tell the family, we should not let the media have first look at our fallen returning home before the family. As to now VP Biden's comment as a Senator when he stated that the fallen are snuck back into the country under cover of darkness, o.k. - I and thousands of others knew my son was coming home in a flag draped casket and a DOD announcement of his death had been made before he arrived back at Dover. So, how was he or any other fallen snuck back in - but then, this is a "leader" who recognized a person for their achievment and asked them to stand up as they sat crippled in a wheel chair.

proud dad SGT Mike Stokely
KIA 16 AUG 05 near Yusufiyah Iraq
USA E 108 CAV 48th BCT GAARNG

Posted by: robert stokely at February 11, 2009 04:30 PM

“GHOUL, n. A demon addicted to the reprehensible habit of devouring the dead.

The existence of ghouls has been disputed by that class of controversialists who are more concerned to deprive the world of comforting beliefs than to give it anything good in their place.

The Devil's Dictionary

Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)

Amen, Sister Carrie.

Amen.

Posted by: Drive-by Beirce at February 11, 2009 04:41 PM

To SGT Mike Stokely:
American, First Class
Hand salute!!!

And to his father and family,
thank you for Mike.
We will remember him, always.

-spd

Posted by: spd rdr at February 11, 2009 04:52 PM

Dear Robert,

I haven't forgotten Mike. I remember when I read about him at Mudville Gazette. Vaya con Dios. Always.

Like spd said: Salute!

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at February 11, 2009 05:13 PM

Hope to measure up...at least a little.

I dunno! I think you are doing great and if anything, I'll need to keep on my toes to keep up with you guys!

You're a class act Carrie and I feel honored that you're willing to be part of the Editorial Staff, half vast though it is :)

Posted by: Cassandra at February 11, 2009 06:23 PM

Yeah, what she said.

Step up and swat away Carrie. Lord knows we need hitters, but we also need those that are willing to stand in there and to swing, and swing, and swing, and swing....

Wait, that's me I'm talking about! You managed to connect deep first time at bat. I'd say, stay at it.

Posted by: spd rdr at February 11, 2009 06:36 PM

May they rest in peace.

One of the underpinnings of peace is tranquility. Clearly the media has no interest in that. Regardless of the media's protestations, they need the "event."

By that admission they have no respect for the dead. Which I thought defined us as human.

Posted by: Allen at February 11, 2009 08:28 PM

Can't we just beat the hell out of anyone foolish enough to intrude at Dover?

Posted by: Russ at February 12, 2009 12:28 AM

Heh. Bill uses "I'm in Iraq" as an excuse.

No, I use "I'm working my butt off in Iraq" as an excuse...

* * * * * * * * * *

Back on topic -- allowing the MSM into Dover during a transfer will be the first step in "graphically depicting the obscene cost of this endless quagmire that is the Bush legacy."

The bastards virtuously high-fived themselves for "ending the war in Vietnam" and then sanctimoniously ignored the atrocities that took place after we left...

Posted by: BillT at February 12, 2009 04:45 AM

"No, I use "I'm working my butt off in Iraq" as an excuse..."

So, you admit it's just an excuse!

*writing on wall with black Sharpie*
"Bill admits he's not really working over in Iraq, just using it as an excuse to avoid having to post at the Castle."

There, John, now when he tries to deny it, we've got "proof". Unless Cass paints that corner ....
Nah. That's also where I *noted* (at her insistence, even) that she'd "left that one aloooooooooone...."
heh
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at February 12, 2009 10:54 AM

I like Russ' idea.

A lot.

Posted by: DL Sly at February 12, 2009 10:55 AM

BillT has no butt!

I tell you, we are winning this war! A la la la la la!!!!!

Posted by: Moqtada al Sadr at February 12, 2009 11:36 AM

Settled down will ya MaS? This ain't Al-JazeeCNN.

Our boys and girls can whip the best you have with one butt tied behind their backs while trying to ensmarten the new/improved US Government and the marginally pec'ed One in Mount Olympus to boot.

Posted by: Glutæus Maximus Rex at February 12, 2009 12:27 PM

i just retired three years ago and one year ago i had a massive stroke....to qualify for medicaide i have had to sell off everything i could find.....blue c5ross has helped but way not enough and now i find myself selling anything else i have just to payfor the thweapyand more hospitali9zationthgere seems like no end to the expensesthey want me to go back into inpatient rehab and i amm really worrying about the coverage for this...is.n't there a grant somewhere to help me out of this mess
DENNIS SHAW

Posted by: DENNIS SHAW at September 16, 2009 09:39 AM

HI AGAIN...NOW I FIND OUT THAT BLUE CROSS WON'T COVER ME A SECOND TIME IN THE REHAB HOSPITAL EVEN THOUGH THE DOCTORES HAVE GTREATLY RECOMMENDED IT MAYBE YOU CAN DO SOMETHING

THANK YOU...I WAS A SCHOOL TEACER FOR 30 SOMEYEARS

Posted by: DENNIS SHAW at September 16, 2009 11:30 AM

Dennis:

Please email me (my address is in the sidebar). Include details of your length of service, retirement status, etc. Not sure what I can do, but I'll check.

Thanks.

Posted by: Cassandra at September 16, 2009 11:56 AM

Dennis,

You might want to include your state and zip code if you decide to send email to Cassandra.

Another avenue through which you could pursue assistance would be to contact your Congressional representatives, the U.S. House member and both U.S. Senators from your state.

They have staff who should be knowledgeable, or able to contact those who are, and be willing and able to assist you in this area.

Congressional representatives usually jump all over an opportunity to help a constituent. And sometimes they do it simply because it's the right thing to do.

Posted by: bthun at September 16, 2009 01:05 PM