« More on the Soldiers' Coffins Issue | Main | How Not to Get Laid On Valentine's Day »

February 12, 2009

He's Cheeky! He's Sexy!

...he's in big trouble with NPR:

...after watching the Fox segment, Simon said, "What can I say? That's not the Juan Williams who is on our show."

That may be the cause of the criticism. Williams tends to speak one way on NPR and another on Fox.

If this is any indication of the iron-fisted dictats of the we're-bravely-speaking-truth-to-power crowd, can you blame him?

His "Stokely Carmichael" comment got the attention of NPR's top managers. They are in a bind because Williams is no longer a staff employee but an independent contractor. As a contract news analyst, NPR doesn't exercise control over what Williams says outside of NPR.

"Juan Williams is a contributor to NPR programs as a news analyst," said Ron Elving, NPR's Washington editor. "What he says on NPR is the product of a journalistic process that includes editors. What he says when he is not on our air is not within our control. But we recognize that what he says elsewhere reflects on NPR, and we have discussed that fact with him specifically in regard to his remarks on Fox News regarding Michelle Obama."

If "progressives" didn't keep doing this kind of thing of their own free will, I'd have to make it up.

update: *snort*:

Fifty-six angry emails! That borders on a fullscale Volvo/espresso revolt.

Posted by Cassandra at February 12, 2009 06:02 PM

Comments

"What can I say? That's not the Juan Williams who is on our show."

Is this guy channeling his inner Obama or something?
Put more air in the wheels! Someone else is going under that bus!!

Oh! The Humanity!!

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at February 13, 2009 01:07 AM

As a result of this latest flap, NPR's Vice President of News, Ellen Weiss, has asked Williams to ask that Fox remove his NPR identification whenever he is on O'Reilly.

What's his *new* tag gonna read -- "Designated Alarm Clock on the Insomnia Network"...?

Posted by: BillT at February 13, 2009 01:55 AM

I have to say it: I find it more troublesome that Michelle Obama is living in the White House than that her husband is.

She's one angry "entitlement mentality" mother f*****, it seems to me. Are we aware of her thesis from her senior year at Princeton?

Posted by: camojack at February 13, 2009 07:47 AM

I wondered what was going on with Williams.

A few years ago I was hearing him on NPR and I believe on PBS and he sounded like a standard issue lefty who pretended to be neutral but never was.

Since I no longer bother to listen to NPR or PBS I was amazed to see him on FOX sounding sensible a short time ago.

That was only once, I don't have FOX channel and only see it occasionally when visiting someone.

I'm not surprised he talks left to the left and runs toward the center on FOX. Every politician tries to go center before an election.

And Williams is basically a media politician. And no doubt looking for a network gig at big money.

Posted by: K at February 13, 2009 11:43 AM

Williams is a breath of reason from the left. I believe FOX should hire him as a counterpoint to Sean Hannity or Glen Beck. I enjoy his commentary and take on things. Hopefully, he speaks for a majority of democrats who may be having second thoughts about the efficacy of an Obama Presidency.

Posted by: vet66 at February 13, 2009 03:23 PM