« What A Difference An Election Makes... | Main | »

February 18, 2009

The Navy in Pictures

It's not just a job - it's an adventure.

Posted by Cassandra at February 18, 2009 08:48 AM

Comments

Former Army helicolopiter pilot buddy of mine had a framed poster on the wall of his FAA office showing two same-gender ensigns holding hands on the fantail of a ship, gazing at the gaw-juss sunset reflecting o'er the briny deep:

The Navy! It's Not Just A Job -- It's A Date!

Posted by: BillT at February 18, 2009 09:22 AM

*waving hiya to lex*

Posted by: BillT at February 18, 2009 09:22 AM

You're gonna pay for that one :p

Heh.

Posted by: We have nothing to fear but cynicism ....blah blah at February 18, 2009 09:27 AM

Right. Like, I didn't already *know* that?

I figger it'll pop FuzzBee's cork, and it may even lure Maggie out from behind the drapes.

Posted by: BillT at February 18, 2009 10:08 AM

Maggie's never behind the drapes, she's under the covers.

Posted by: John of Argghhh! at February 18, 2009 11:24 AM

Or swinging from the chandelier. Oh, no, wait...that's Dbie...or is it? It's been so long, I can't remember.

Posted by: Sly's Wardrobe Mistress at February 18, 2009 02:02 PM

I miss the sea.

Posted by: spd rdr at February 18, 2009 02:08 PM

It has been awhile. I fear that the age of youthful exuberance at Castle Argghhh! has passed, what with all the chicas settling down and BCR putting the self-teaching and healing AI into the PG-17d.

Posted by: The Master of Argghhh! at February 18, 2009 03:16 PM

what with all the chicas settling down ...

Speak for yourself, Earth-breath :p I'm just getting started.

Posted by: We have nothing to fear but cynicism ....blah blah at February 18, 2009 03:19 PM

Oh, pish-tosh.

Such promises have all the substance of the gossamer strands of airy nonsense spouted by Jarheadish Baggage over a latte at Starbucks.

[checks force-field generator]

Posted by: The Master of Argghhh! at February 18, 2009 03:44 PM

Yeah. You'd best start running :p

Posted by: We have nothing to fear but cynicism ....blah blah at February 18, 2009 03:46 PM

On the signal bridge
A mid-watch squall blows through you
Like the breath of God

Posted by: spd rdr at February 18, 2009 09:56 PM

The first piano piece I ever wrote was about a storm at sea.

It's still one of my favorites, even though I was only 16 when I wrote it. I wrote it because my parents had an old painting of the ocean hanging over the piano in our quarters. I used to stare at the waves on the canvas and I could almost feel the sea rolling.

Haven't thought about that for a long time :)

Posted by: Cassandra at February 18, 2009 10:06 PM

Yeah. You'd best start running...

Gonna give him a three-day head start so he can get at least a hundred feet away?

Posted by: BillT at February 19, 2009 05:42 AM

Working outside on the weather decks, during squalls is not so fond a memory for me. Particularly on the flight deck since it was a fair drop to the water. And I'd seen the crew usually assigned to the fantail watch, so I was reconciled to placing my faith in my life jacket, the flasher, and the fates if I were to ever go over the side.

On the other hand, when we were operating in the northern latitudes during the winter, all bets on surviving an over the side incident, other than placing a side wager on the hypothermia in 3 minutes or less theory, were off.

But when the ship was (relatively) quite running under darkened ship conditions with a calm sea and the sky was clear and full of stars. Oh yeah... Being in the middle of the ocean during times like those was a religious experience, of sorts.

Yup I miss the ocean too.

Posted by: bthun at February 19, 2009 09:26 AM

Or (relatively) quiet... *scans keyboard for Wite-Out® correction key or do-over key*

Posted by: bthun at February 19, 2009 09:28 AM

Whadday mean, we's all growed up and too *mature* for comment parties anywhere?

I just happen to be in a foul mood brought on by having to learn and communicate in liberal-speak as required by college perfessors.

Posted by: Cricket at February 19, 2009 11:47 AM

Could be worse.

We had to use Olde Muddle Englyshe in my Chaucer class back in nineteen *mumblety*-five...

Posted by: BillT at February 20, 2009 03:30 AM

"We had to use Olde Muddle Englyshe"...
Lat se now who shal telle another tale;
For trewely the game is wel bigonne.?

Posted by: bt_champipple-&-a-good-tale_hun at February 20, 2009 07:18 AM

Whan folk hadde laughen at this nyce cas
Of bt_champipple-&-a-good-tale_hun and Pryncesse Cass...

Posted by: BillT at February 20, 2009 09:47 AM