« Harry Reid Predicts the Future with Uncanny Accuracy | Main | It's Official: We've Elected a Feel-good President »

February 24, 2009

You Just Might Be A DimWit: Community Organizer Edition

Sacre bleu! When even the Gawker mercilessly mocks your effete douchebaggery, it's fairly safe to conclude your attempts at effecting social justice via 'democratic consensus' have been somewhat less than effective:

"You may not come in here. This is student's free space," says the cameraman, as a security guard pulls apart the flimsy barricade that the administration had chosen to leave in place for the past two days. As soon as the guard sets foot in the food court: "Excuse me, brutality here. You are on camera...Do not use brutality. You may not detain us, you are on camera!" This, as two security guards were moving away from him. "We deserve to be explained what is going on," he says to several bored-looking cops. Here's what's going on dude: you're not actually allowed to take over buildings. Believe it or not.

(Also: "We need to look at the situation, the hierarchy, the power relationship here." Okay: you're surrounded by cops.)

Watch and weep:

But... but... as long as we try really, really hard you can't deny us what we want!!!! Academy Award for unintentional irony:

"We're using the democratic process here... I don't know if you understand that"

We're using consensus here, and the way that works is that they come back here and report to us on what the disciplinary procedures are and we collectively decide ... we collectively decide... listen! we need to collectively decide how to proceed and we need our people here in order to do that...

[administration moves silly barrier aside and enters room]

"We want our negotiators back."

"They're not coming back."

"We have the right not to cooperate with you until you explain what you're pursuing here. What are you pursuing here?"

"...We want to negotiate in good faith with you."

"This is not a negotiation. We're explaining the disciplinary proceedures that are going to be applied in this case..."

"That will only happen if you agree to negotiate with us at this point... in this room."

"No it won't."

"Okay... well we're here in this room and we're welcoming discussion and dialogue...We will not cooperate with you and we need to use a consensus process to move forward... You need to give us some time...this is directly democratic, OK? And you're making everyone very upset..."

"...There is no negotiation. You need to just leave."

"You need to use earmuffs..."

"We have lawyers!!!!!"

MEIN GOTT IM HIMMEL....WHY DO YOU PEOPLE HATE DEMOCRACY???

Update I: Priceless:

“I just wanted to occupy a building. I'm not the posterboy for any of this.”

Update II: Tragic clue bus accident: another of Obama's "community organizers" has a disturbing encounter with folks unsympathetic to the whiny culture of entitlement the Obamas seem so fond of encouraging:

Here is what the MSM won’t be telling you about the so-called “victim” in that case, ACORN worker Donna Hanks — all based on public records and court documents.

According to real property data search information, Hanks bought the two-story home in the summer of 2001 for $87,000. At some point in the next five years, she re-financed the original home loan for $270,000.
Question: Where did all that money go?

The house initially went into foreclosure proceedings in the spring of 2006. In July 2006, Hanks filed for bankruptcy and agreed to a Chapter 13 plan which was served to the following creditors: Americas Servicing Co, Bank Of America, Chase, Covahey, Boozer, Devan & Dore, and Discover. She agreed to repay $10,500 in arrears, which resulted in a halt to the 2006 foreclosure.

But we collectively agreed via direct democracy that I have the right to stay in my house!!!

Posted by Cassandra at February 24, 2009 07:14 AM

Comments

Good grief. You know why they took the food court; so they wouldn't starve. Liberals have no principles.

Posted by: Cricket at February 24, 2009 09:54 AM

Truly inane. "Hey Hey! Ho Ho! Cold french fries have got to go!"

If the decision to forever release into the public domain the videographic evidence of such an utterly pathetic attempt at relevancy was made collectively, like, you know, by using consensus, like, you know, the democratic process, then such a concentration of idiots does not auger well for the future of the Republic.

On the other hand, if the camera-dude decided to make laughing stocks out of them all strictly on his own, then we may be witnessing the birth of comedic genius.

Life is waiting, boys and girls.
And it has big, scary, teeth.

Posted by: spd rdr at February 24, 2009 10:18 AM

Oh, let me catch my breath.
I really hope this goes viral - I'd love to see the reaction of the truly oppressed waxing poetic over the multiple macbooks, clean, fresh water, spare clothing, etc... these "freedom fighters" brought along with them. No doubt they refuse to produce ID because when mommy and daddy find out this is how they're spending their free time at college, it's back to the basement.
OK, I have to go to the loo now - can't stop laughing.

Posted by: gopmom at February 24, 2009 10:22 AM

I hope the young lady timidly displaying the dual "V-for-Don't-Shoot-Me" signs regains full circulation in her hands -- some of the pooled blood may eventually transport oxygen to her remaining brain cell.

Posted by: BillT at February 24, 2009 10:43 AM

WoW! What an abomination! These kid are so ridiculously ignorant it is SCARY!! Where did they learn all those big words that they clearly do not understand? Lotta chatter, no substance...reminds me of another Community Organizer!

Posted by: suze at February 24, 2009 10:58 AM

The best part:

"Come together guys, we only have 10 minutes to decide. Seriously guys we need a consensus and we only have 10 minutes. We need consensus here!

Now we have to decide if...Fred? Fred...Fred! Where are you going?

Fine Fred, we'll decide without you"...

Fred got booted out of the 'Democratic Consensus!'

I blame 'Corporate Water.'

Posted by: Lamontyoubigdummy at February 24, 2009 11:51 AM

Direct democracy: harder than it looks :p

Stay away from that corporate water. Nasty stuff.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 24, 2009 11:59 AM

Remember when see[ing] the violence inherent in the system was *meant* to be a joke?

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at February 24, 2009 12:27 PM

You know Cass, that video at NYU is almost funny in that seems to be a parody making fun of protestors. I mean you can't make up lines like:

"They drink corporate water"
"We need to come to a consensus, who do we want to be the facilitator"
"As long as there are no weapons of force"

I can almost envision Cartman waking into shot and saying "I hate hippies".

Posted by: Frodo at February 24, 2009 12:29 PM

Age of Aquarius I tell ya... only a half-rump short of a roast.

Maybe these best and brightest -BTW, don't retire and don't disarm- will move on to study at the William Ayers School of Explosives and Property Reclamation.

If so, we can look forward to them barricading themselves into properties, foreclosed, condemned or occupied...

Oh! Wait one!

Breaking News:

We are receiving reports over the wire that these same students, upset with their treatment at NYU and in an attempt to save face, have taken their protest to Fort Worth, Texas along with a copy of The Weather Underground Cookbook, First Edition... Ahhh, first edition?!

Now we are being told that they have taken over The Landmark Tower building!

There is a news helicopter on site. Let's watch as this drama unfolds.

Whoops! Well, they should have sprung for the latest version in the college book store. The revised, William Ayers and Cathy "one-finger" Wilkerson signed copy of the WU Cookbook.

Best and Brightest indeed.

Posted by: bt_read-the-functionality-manual_hun at February 24, 2009 12:41 PM

you left out an obvious simile...UN Weapons Inspector (the protestors) and Iraq. Lots of talk. Nothing to back it up. This "demonstration" should be shown in every Foreign Policy 101 class

Posted by: rudytbone at February 24, 2009 01:01 PM

That, and the globalization protesters.

I live to watch reporters stick a microphone in their faces so they can tell the world exactly what the hell they're protesting.

They can never quite manage to articulate it.

Posted by: Cassandra at February 24, 2009 01:09 PM

What're the current odds on Camera Guy

1. realizing he totally pwned himself by putting that vid on the web and

2. yanking it, posthaste?

Actually, he seemed to be yanking it through the entire vid...

Posted by: BillT at February 24, 2009 02:15 PM

Mike Adams talks about sheeps, wolves, and sheepdogs. I think we need a new category - weasel maybe possum...

Posted by: Mark at February 24, 2009 02:26 PM

Not annoying enough, Mark. We need to go a bit lower than mammalian.

I'm thinking ticks.

Posted by: BillT at February 24, 2009 02:39 PM

I think we need a new category - weasel maybe possum...
How's about rabbit?

They are pretty timid, hairy and do little more than eat and copulate both physically and mentally.

Well, except o-course when they are forced to share a pond with Jonboat traveling enabler of socialists dictators and terrorists.

Never mind, the group in question idolize such Jonboat travelers.

Ok, I'll second Bill's suggestion.

Posted by: Larry at February 24, 2009 02:50 PM

I applaud the police for keeping a straight face dealing with these miscreants. The girl had her trump line down "Don't touch me" which apparently is the nuke option of a feminist whether on a date or occupying the cafeteria. "He touched my shoulder!" is their rallying cry?

Is it just me or should the administration shown a pair, or at least removed their 'nads from the velcro on the mantle and said remove these people from the premises and we will find out who is a student and who is not.

I wonder who FRED was...probably had mid-terms to study for.

Posted by: vet66 at February 24, 2009 02:54 PM

Let's suppose, shall we, that the student protest chronicled in the video had, in some way, actual merit. At what specific point does the video encapsulation of such a meritous civil action derail from that purpose and devolve into juvenile idealogical matsturbation?

"Go ahead, fascists! Attack me, you tool of oppression!!!! No, seriously! Don't you ignore me, PIG! I'm in your face waving petititons for amnesty! You'll get my student ID and pre-paid meal card when you pry it from my parent's cold, dead fingers! I'm serious here!!! Hey! I'm serious here! TAZE ME BRO! PLEASE TAZE ME!"

And still, Joshua slept alone again that night, continuing his streak as an undergraduate.

Posted by: spd rdr at February 24, 2009 03:14 PM

That encounter reminds me a lot of "the Knights Who Say Nii!". The calm but clueless narrator doesn't seem to get it.

I sorta excpected at the end for Sasha Baron Cohen to come out and say "Fooled You!!".

rudytbone has a great idea. This should be shown in every negotiating class.

"Weapons of force"??? As opposed to "weapons of joy?"

Posted by: ZZMike at February 24, 2009 03:17 PM

It seems our armchair revolutionaries don't understand that it takes more than a few invectives and appeals to "consensus" to actually lend force to outrageous demands. They want to "take back" the University? How can they take back something that never was theirs? NYU is privately funded and owned and has been since 1831. These sniveling, snot-nosed ingrates are customers not "shareholders"!! Just because they spend $4 on a latte at Starbucks doesn't mean they can dictate their corporate policies, what makes them think NYU is any different?

And their appeals to "democracy" and "consensus" were simply laughable. Their "consensus" seemed to be that they DICTATED every move and since their website boasted a grand total of 778 signatories to their petition out of over 50,000 students when I wrote this, I'd assume the "democracy" issue is pretty much moot also.

It was a very good display of how an anarchic collective would operate though...they likely spent weeks on their "demands" but had no contingency plans for likely outcomes and not even enough discipline to not behave like a bunch of cornered rats when confronted. Pathetic.

Posted by: Gregory Markle at February 24, 2009 04:00 PM

Just show this at their first interview, it's punishment enough.

Posted by: Simon Diamond at February 24, 2009 04:06 PM

Just show this at their first interview, it's punishment enough.

Please explain exactly what you're pursuing here? What are you pursuing with that remark?

We'll never drink the corporate water.

Posted by: Take Back NYU at February 24, 2009 04:13 PM

No doubt they thought they were reliving the glory days of the 60s radicals. But wasn't it Karl Marx who said, "History does repeat itself, the first time as tragedy, the second time as farce?"

Posted by: david foster at February 24, 2009 04:41 PM

Re-living the glory days? Yeah, I could picture Bill Ayers -- the instigator who managed to be elsewhere whenever the WU actively practiced what it preached -- acting *exactly* like Camera Guy...

Posted by: BillT at February 24, 2009 05:04 PM

Looks like the shallow end of the gene pool all wound up at NYU for this event.

I wonder if any of them had parents whose children lived?

Absolute ignorance prevails at another institute of "higher learning."

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at February 24, 2009 05:04 PM

"weapons of force"? Is there any other kind? What good would it be?

Posted by: Pat In Colorado at February 24, 2009 05:07 PM

He's probably worried about fluoridated water, just like Gen. Jack D. Ripper was in "Dr. Strangelove"...

"Mandrake, do you realize that in addition to fluoridating water, why, there are studies underway to fluoridate salt, flour, fruit juices, soup, sugar, milk... ice cream? Ice cream, Mandrake, children's ice cream!

...

It's incredibly obvious, isn't it? A foreign substance is introduced into our precious bodily fluids without the knowledge of the individual. Certainly without any choice."

Posted by: Gregory Markle at February 24, 2009 05:10 PM

Bill T said:

Not annoying enough, Mark. We need to go a bit lower than mammalian.

I'm thinking ticks.

Posted by: BillT at February 24, 2009 02:39 PM
**********************************************

I was thinking chiggers....or would they be arachnid-americans now??? I am sure that Rev Al, Rev Jesse, and Rev Jerahmiah would be on me like whit...stink on poo.

Posted by: kbob in katy at February 24, 2009 05:13 PM

Ticks serve a useful function as bottom link in the sylvan food chain, but chiggers are merely annoying.

Chiggers hereby seconded.

Posted by: BillT at February 24, 2009 05:31 PM

NPR Gal: We're here outside the NYU Kimmel Center food court speaking with Abdel Abdel-Hakim, a recent imigrant from Iraq, who has set up his own hot dog business catering to the students of NYU.

NPR Gal: How long have you been selling hot dogs outside of the NYU library?

Mr. Hakim: Almost four years now. I came to America when my father and brothers were murdered.

NPR Gal: So the Americans murdered your relatives, and yet you still sought refuge here. How difficult was that for you?"

Mr. Hakim: No, no. My family was killed by the militias, those opposed to the freedom of the Iraqi people. The Americans had nothing to do with such things. I come here as a free man! I just want to sell hot dogs, here, on this street corner, in Greenwich Village, America, and be free from all of that past. I charge fair prices, and I am an honest man. What can America want more?

Mr. Adbel-Hakim, what do you make of these student protests?

Mr. Hakim: These protestors, they seem to be foolish. I am just tying to do what's best for my business and my family. They have no sense.

NPR Gal: How so?

Mr. Hakim: They reject their families. They reject their security, They reject thier wealth, It is too easy for them.

NPR Gal: But don't those students who have taken control of the food court across the way also have the right as Americans to voice their opinions?

Mr. Hakim: Maybe. Perhaps by birth. I cannot tell from their actions. But an American has so very much by birth, why would he give it away? Why would one complain of such riches? Opinions are luxuries to be paid for by effort.

NPR Gal: Well, thank you Mr. Hakim.

Mr. Hakim: You're welcome. Try a hot dog? Mine are the best in town.

Posted by: Hot Dog Guy Outside NYU at February 24, 2009 05:35 PM

The kid with the camera would make an excellent human shield somewhere.

Posted by: Dennis D at February 24, 2009 05:37 PM

I see a bright future for them as 'human shields,' and for us as cleaning the gene pool.

Posted by: Cricket at February 24, 2009 05:41 PM

Ayers would have blown himself up. Dennis, I swear, I did not see your comment until after I posted it. What can I say? Should we start an 'Empowerment Employment Agency' for those who
need to make a difference by consensus?

Posted by: Cricket at February 24, 2009 05:46 PM

This brings back bad memories of Amy Carter and Abbie Hoffman protesting some covert CIA action while she was a student at Brown. I need brain bleach and Mallomars now.

Posted by: Cricket at February 24, 2009 05:51 PM

There's a few more amusing videos from throughout this farce over at http://www.thesitch.com/media/videos-nyu-occupation/

I really liked the one where the guy reads their "demands"...there's a bit of a crowd but at the end when he makes his big statement of solidarity with the Palestinians it sounds like about three or four people support him.

They REALLY need to have someone who is not drinking the kool-aid vet there video before it goes public...everything I've seen so far makes them look pathetic.

Posted by: Gregory Markle at February 24, 2009 06:05 PM

"....chiggers are merely annoying."

Aye, chiggers are pretty irritating, but that's easily dealt with by just suffocating the little suckers with calamine lotion.....
How 'bout bed bugs? They're too small to warrant attention yet everyone knows they're there, and every once in a while a large enough group will get together and make you sneeze.
0>:~}

Posted by: DL Sly at February 24, 2009 07:00 PM

Personally, I would have turned off the water, and the power to the floor, blacked out all the exterior windows and told them they couldn't come out until they learned some sense.

Perhaps if the parents had grounded them as children the university wouldn't have had to do it now.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at February 24, 2009 07:17 PM

There's the Supreme Court, the International Criminal Court, The International Court of Justice...and then there's Food Court.

Posted by: Noel at February 24, 2009 07:24 PM

And incur a self-esteem gap!

Posted by: Dr.Spock-Strangelove at February 24, 2009 07:24 PM

Those kids have no clue - brutality indeed. I can't help but wonder how many of them would have piddled themselves if they actually saw a dynamic entry...

Posted by: Pogue at February 24, 2009 07:31 PM

Tear gas cannisters and pepper spray.

Posted by: Cricket at February 24, 2009 08:36 PM

Send them to Berkeley. They can have all the consensus they want in that Great Democracy by the Bay.

Posted by: Cricket at February 24, 2009 08:44 PM

"Tear gas cannisters and pepper spray. "
But Cricket, that is so... 1960's.

If I might offer an alternative suggestion.

No muss, no fuss, no fire hoses or wet-n-dry vacuum cleanup needed afterwards. Complete with mood music.

Posted by: bt_read-the-functionality-manual_hun at February 24, 2009 09:00 PM

Listening to the camera guy, I kept having flashbacks to being the parent of an adolescent boy.

Same silly questions that he already knows the answer to.

Same tentative defiance: a kid just asking to get smacked down as a reminded of what Mom and Dad think is important. Makes you wonder if his parents paid enough attention to him?

In a lot of ways, it's sad. A kid that age ought to have learned those lessons already. I get the feeling no one could be bothered to teach him. He's still looking for limits.

Posted by: Cass at February 24, 2009 09:14 PM

"A kid that age ought to have learned those lessons already."
Agreed. It's sad to a point. But at what point is it reasonable to expect the young person to look around, wise up and grow up?

Granted that this is the opinion of a fairly seasoned citizen, but kids today seem to mature a lot later than they used to. From my perspective it seems that today's 30 year old is yesteryear's 17 year old.

And I'm not going that far back on the wayback mocheen either.

Posted by: bt_read-the-functionality-manual_hun at February 24, 2009 09:24 PM

They absolutely do.

But I see even parents who are my friends deferring the onset of adulthood with their kids. Kids aren't expected to do anything at all anymore - they don't do chores, nor do many of them contribute anything towards their own education. They are given everything, even long past the age when they should be expected to grow up and start pulling their own weight.

It's bizarre, but it also makes this kind of behavior easier to understand. It's a rare kid who will work harder than he needs to, or do for himself what others are perfectly willing to do for him.

Posted by: Cass at February 24, 2009 09:36 PM

Yikes.

a kid just asking to get smacked down as a reminder...

Posted by: Cass at February 24, 2009 09:37 PM

I don't think I'm drunk enough to enjoy watching that video...

Posted by: Sly's Wardrobe Mistress at February 24, 2009 10:45 PM

My guess is -- 100%. "Fook You" Fred might have done something foolish, like stare at them defiantly, but the rest of them would merely have damaged themselves by running into one another.

The sudden appearance of the squad blocking the balcony entry shook Camera Guy. Nice distraction op at the main "barricade" by the administration and security folks.

Posted by: BillT at February 25, 2009 12:27 AM

Take Back NYU rocks!

I love those guys! A team of the world's best comedic screenwriters could not have scripted their pathetic last stand to play out any funnier. Corporate Water???? That's the most patently bourgeois thing I've heard in a long time. Water is bad, Apple is good? Take Back NYU! is going to ruin the Apple brand altogether; Apple is marketed for slackers, NOT hippies.

And why did Take Back! narrow their goals when they were doing so well and capturing the imagination of the worldwide public? Why not go all the way and fight to achieve federal protection for the Cape Fear River shiner, one of the most endangered fishes in North America? Or demand that the porn industry replace the hurtful "MILF" genre of adult film with the less judgmental "experienced women" title?

If only they had not been so pragmatic, this really could have been a changed world. . .

Posted by: Bob W (the new Kowalsky) at February 25, 2009 12:31 AM

The "videographer" isn't even an NYU student - he attends a small college in PA and claims to be actively involved with about a dozen radical groups.

This is why Obama wants all kids in college - they need "education" to become more effective "community organizers."

That these punks were allowed to "occupy" a public building for two days is an indictment of both the University and city government. They probably won't be charged with more than misdemeanor offenses, and will likely walk with no fine and a lax probation.

They are the people they've been waiting for . . .

Posted by: Adjoran at February 25, 2009 03:45 AM

As a former Chicagoan as well, I am proud to say that Chicago cops knew how to deal with hippies back in 68. This is like a playdo/romper room caricature of that event. Funny as hell, though.

Posted by: a former european at February 25, 2009 03:46 AM

BWAAAAAAAAAhhhhahaaaahhaaaaahhhaaaaaaa!!!

> “NYU has this attitude where students can just go fuck themselves,” Cukla said. “Student’s don’t really have a say.”

B-b-buh--BWAAAAAAAAAhhhhahaaaahhaaaaahhhaaaaaaa!!!

"No, DUH, you stupid whiny PUNK."

"Oooh, I'm out of high school, now, so peeeeepul are supposed to take me seriously!!"

ROTFLMAO.

Posted by: Obloodyhell at February 25, 2009 09:18 AM

> “There's a lot of vegan food available. When you have political radicals there's gonna be vegans,”

Doesn't that just say almost everything that needs to be said?

Really.

Posted by: Obloodyhell at February 25, 2009 09:20 AM

Corporate water is the new 'kool-aid.' Get with it, people!

Inner child=tantrum.

Posted by: Cricket at February 25, 2009 10:08 AM

Maybe those poor little shutin's need to broaden thar cultural exparinces... Maybe I should just invite 'em down to the deer camp with me an tha fellers.

Tha sur got purty smirks.

Posted by: Larry at February 25, 2009 10:36 AM

This video reminded me of: http://www.sacred-texts.com/neu/mphg/mphg.htm#Scene%2010, scene 3.

ARTHUR: Old woman!
DENNIS: Man!
ARTHUR: Old Man, sorry. What knight live in that castle over there?
DENNIS: I'm thirty seven.
ARTHUR: What?
DENNIS: I'm thirty seven -- I'm not old!
ARTHUR: Well, I can't just call you `Man'.
DENNIS: Well, you could say `Dennis'.
ARTHUR: Well, I didn't know you were called `Dennis.'
DENNIS: Well, you didn't bother to find out, did you?
ARTHUR: I did say sorry about the `old woman,' but from the behind you looked--
DENNIS: What I object to is you automatically treat me like an inferior!
ARTHUR: Well, I AM king...
DENNIS: Oh king, eh, very nice. An' how'd you get that, eh? By exploitin' the workers -- by 'angin' on to outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic an' social differences in our society! If there's ever going to be any progress--
WOMAN: Dennis, there's some lovely filth down here. Oh -- how d'you do?
ARTHUR: How do you do, good lady. I am Arthur, King of the Britons. Who's castle is that?
WOMAN: King of the who?
ARTHUR: The Britons.
WOMAN: Who are the Britons?
ARTHUR: Well, we all are. we're all Britons and I am your king.
WOMAN: I didn't know we had a king. I thought we were an autonomous collective.
DENNIS: You're fooling yourself. We're living in a dictatorship. A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--
WOMAN: Oh there you go, bringing class into it again.
DENNIS: That's what it's all about if only people would--
ARTHUR: Please, please good people. I am in haste. Who lives in that castle?
WOMAN: No one lives there.
ARTHUR: Then who is your lord?
WOMAN: We don't have a lord.
ARTHUR: What?
DENNIS: I told you. We're an anarcho-syndicalist commune. We take it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week.
ARTHUR: Yes.
DENNIS: But all the decision of that officer have to be ratified at a special biweekly meeting.
ARTHUR: Yes, I see.
DENNIS: By a simple majority in the case of purely internal affairs,--
ARTHUR: Be quiet!
DENNIS: --but by a two-thirds majority in the case of more--
ARTHUR: Be quiet! I order you to be quiet!
WOMAN: Order, eh -- who does he think he is?
ARTHUR: I am your king!
WOMAN: Well, I didn't vote for you.
ARTHUR: You don't vote for kings.
WOMAN: Well, 'ow did you become king then?
ARTHUR: The Lady of the Lake,
[angels sing]
her arm clad in the purest shimmering samite, held aloft Excalibur from the bosom of the water signifying by Divine Providence that I, Arthur, was to carry Excalibur.
[singing stops]
That is why I am your king!
DENNIS: Listen -- strange women lying in ponds distributing swords is no basis for a system of government. Supreme executive power derives from a mandate from the masses, not from some farcical aquatic ceremony.
ARTHUR: Be quiet!
DENNIS: Well you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just 'cause some watery tart threw a sword at you!
ARTHUR: Shut up!
DENNIS: I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an empereror just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!
ARTHUR: Shut up! Will you shut up!
DENNIS: Ah, now we see the violence inherent in the system.
ARTHUR: Shut up!
DENNIS: Oh! Come and see the violence inherent in the system! HELP! HELP! I'm being repressed!
ARTHUR: Bloody peasant!
DENNIS: Oh, what a give away. Did you hear that, did you hear that, eh? That's what I'm on about -- did you see him repressing me, you saw it didn't you?

Posted by: Chris at February 26, 2009 03:55 AM

Chris: The Monty Python version is a bit funnier. Just a bit, and then only because its intended to be funny.

Posted by: ZZMike at February 27, 2009 07:33 PM