« Aieeeee!!!! Who Will Save Us From This Too! Too Unpatriotic Dissent! | Main | On Money »

March 30, 2009

So Little To Do, So Much Time To Waste

I don't like the current college football ratings system. Don't like it one bit because it seems to favor a select group of colleges over a vast majority of the other Division I schools. I think that a play-off system is the best way to determine an overall champ. "That's why they play the game" is an adage I've heard many times over the course of my lifetime. The logic behind that saying is difficult to argue with because every once in a while Cinderella comes to the Ball with her A-game primed and her confidence beyond *realistic expectations*. And sometimes, Cinderella wins.

The current BCS system is not based on head-to-head competition because, quite frankly, with over 110 teams making up Division I alone, that is impossible. So, absent head-to-head competition, rankings have to rely on a confabulating computer configuration of *current* statistics such as wins and losses, against whom, how did those opponents do against other teams played (strength of schedule), coaches and sports writer's opinions polls, and on and on. This method, in my opinion, is a good start for setting the table for a play-off series, but it's a really lousy way to "select" a champion. And while it's true that currently the championship is decided by a final BCS Championship game, that game's participants are still selected by the aforementioned computer-generated rankings.

Now, though, (cue "Superman" music) because they apparently have nothing else to do, members of Congress have decided government intervention is the only way to correct this injustice. (And, no, they don't have a D behind their names.)

The current system 'leaves nearly half of all the teams in college football at a competitive disadvantage when it comes to qualifying for the millions of dollars paid out every year,' the Senate Judiciary’s subcommittee on antitrust, competition policy and consumer rights said in a statement Wednesday announcing the hearings.

Under the BCS, some conferences get automatic bids to participate in series, while others do not.

Behind the push for the hearings is the subcommittee’s top Republican, Sen. Orrin Hatch of Utah. People there were furious that Utah was bypassed for the national championship despite going undefeated in the regular season.

In the House, Rep. Joe Barton of Texas, the top Republican on the Energy and Commerce Committee, has sponsored legislation that would prevent the NCAA from calling a football game a 'national championship' unless the game culminates from a playoff system."

I guess with the strawman attack on Rush Limbaugh not achieving the results they wanted, Congress needed a new virgin to slay to entertain and distract the masses while they quietly work in the background on their Hope'n'Change agenda.

Posted by at March 30, 2009 06:10 PM

Comments

"Now senators are getting off the sidelines to examine antitrust issues involving the Bowl Champion Series..."

Good. I hope it monopolizes their attention for the next

*taking off boots and socks*

...seventeen...eighteen...nineteen months.

Posted by: BillT at March 31, 2009 06:35 AM

Agree that the system needs to be changed but congress has better things to do. But you seem to be blaming the partisan leadership for this when it is Limbaugh fans Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) and Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) who are the ones really behind the effort in congress.

Posted by: MD at March 31, 2009 10:53 AM

How, exactly, is *this* blaming the partisan leadership:

*sigh*

Posted by: Cassandra at March 31, 2009 10:59 AM

Well, good heavens, MD, Hatch and Barton are just showing the extent of their willingness to work with Teh Won -- who declared, in his first postelectoral television interview, that his Primary Priority would be reforming the quagmiric and morassy inequities of Collegiate Football.

Posted by: BillT at March 31, 2009 11:14 AM

Heh.

You beat me to that! I had that article up this morning but hadn't had time to write anything :p

Posted by: Cassandra at March 31, 2009 11:35 AM

I intuited that, which is the reason I embellished the comment with BlogPrincesslike embellishments.

Posted by: BillT at March 31, 2009 11:47 AM

"How, exactly, is *this* blaming the partisan leadership:"

Obviously it's because I used the word *Congress* and a captial *D* within the same visual field in the sentence. Surely, (no, I did not just call you Shirley) that must be the key to the subliminal message that was hidden within the tea leaves of my mind.
Silly Princess.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at March 31, 2009 11:49 AM

"reforming the quagmiric and morassy inequities of Collegiate Football"
Well and good... Hey! Does anyone smell smoke?

Anyway, I'm fine with this as long as there is no fairness doctrine attached requiring me to provide equal time for gators in my trench.

I swear I smell smoke... Oh! Never mind, that's just the nation's bid'ness smoldering.

Posted by: Manchurian Bubba-hun at March 31, 2009 12:26 PM

"...equal time for gators in my trench."

Would you, perhaps, consider taking on a Volunteer or two to help guard that trench?
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at March 31, 2009 12:36 PM

Considering the trench is next to his lawn, that would make you -- the Yard Guard Trench Wench?

Posted by: BillT at March 31, 2009 12:59 PM

Mmmmmmm -- or the Yard Trench Guard Wench?

Posted by: BillT at March 31, 2009 01:00 PM

I'd love the company... Hehe...

Posted by: Manchurian Bubba-hun at March 31, 2009 04:22 PM

Wait...wait...

Yesssss! I have a VISION! I see the ALPS and a TRENCH and an EPIC human drama of EPIC DRAMATIC PROPORTIONS!

WARDROBE! Bring the spatula, hon...

Posted by: From the Desk of Mr. deBille at March 31, 2009 04:31 PM

I think the Good Senator from Utah is a Ute fan.

I don't follow sports, so I am assuming that he is talking about them.

Time to Google!