« The Importance of Perspective | Main | S.O.S. »

March 04, 2009

Calling All Cooks!!! Updated

We are in week two of recipe submissions for the Milbloggers' Cookbook to benefit Honor Their Service activities such as Operation Fresh Air.

Recipes are more than just a list of ingredients and cooking methods. They evoke memories of friends. They remind one of particular events.
When I cook a friend's recipe, I feel just a little bit closer to them no matter if they are next door or on the other side of the world.
So when you submit a recipe, please feel free to tell me a little about where it came from or when you first had it.

So far, I've received about 150 recipes. My goal is to include at least 200 in the cookbook. These have come from the following blogs:
Chromed Curses
Delta Whiskey
Tammy
Kentucky Woman
Claire
The USO Girls
Sara

And a huge thank you to Old Blue for coming up with the coolest widget evah!!!

If I've missed anyone, please give a shout and I will add them to the list. The deadline is now March 16th.

Details below the fold. Keep those recipes coming, please!!!

Honor Their Service, inc., the home of such great projects as Operation Fresh Air and Operation Santa at the Hospitals, is putting together a Milbloggers' Cookbook.
The cookbook proceeds will go to helping us support wounded/injured servicemembers and their families with fishing events as well as some soon to be announced projects.

We need submissions from milbloggers and commenters alike in all catagories (appetizers, sides, salads, soups, main dishes, desserts, drinks, etc.) If you have a recipe (or two) that you are particularly proud of, we'd love to put them in the book.
In addition, you can submit pictures if you like. I ask only that you don't submit pictures of people in speedos. Speedophobia is not a joking matter, people.

We will also be featuring favorite recipes as well as memories from some Gold and Silver star families. These folks, as well as our active duty (Blue star) folks, are the very reason why Honor Their Service exists.

Here are the details:
Send your recipes (and any questions you might have) to HTScookbook@yahoo.com. OR
conserv00@yahoo.com
Some folks are getting their emails bounced back from the first email address and other are not.
Weird.
We are accepting recipes from today until March 9th.

The cookbook will be made available for sale after we negotiate and have them printed. The price is going to depend on how many recipes we are including and what type of binding we want. Juat as our events are modest proposals ($500 for an Operation Fresh Air event), we will make sure that the cost of the cookbook will reflect the same attitude.

I'm excited to see what you all like to cook!!!

Posted by at March 4, 2009 08:43 AM

Comments

Well, my legendary jello shots aren't all that hard to make (just hard to clean up after, well, nevermind...), so I'll spare you that submission, but I will be happy to share my famous deployment comfort food recipes. Ummmmm. Oh no, now I'm hungry....

Posted by: The Girl Can Cook, Really, She Can at February 25, 2009 02:42 PM

Sign me up, little lady!

Rattling around this head I've got recipes for jambalaya and dirty rice and ribs and hungarian chicken stew and chicken this and chicken that and clams and ducks and oysters and sauerbratten and short ribs and pot roast and pot pies and spaghetti sauce and even a special recipe for concocting Obama Stimulous butter-filled baloney rolls!

Count me, and my troops (family) as all in.

Posted by: spd rdr at February 25, 2009 02:49 PM

Me too!

I have one for cheesecake and one for brownies.

Comfort food is needed.

Posted by: Cricket at February 25, 2009 03:35 PM

Okay, this is right up my alley. What format do you want them in?

Posted by: Deb at February 25, 2009 05:33 PM

You've already got my salsa recipe - if you need me to re-send it, let me know - and I'm pretty sure I have an additional recipe or three lurking around.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at February 25, 2009 07:32 PM

Ooh...let's see:

Bourbon Smoked Salmon
Tequila Lime Chicken
Vegetarian Lasagna
Chunky Apple Pie
Minestrone Soup
Hobo Stew
Pecos Pasta

the list is long. What format would you like them in?? These will make wonderful Christmas gifts this year!!!

Posted by: Sly's Wardrobe Mistress at February 26, 2009 01:00 PM

I think either email or a Word document would be fine (Notepad too if you don't have Word).

Posted by: Cass at February 26, 2009 01:10 PM

Crème De Menthe Brownies

1 cup sugar
1/2 cup butter
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 16-oz can chocolate syrup
1 teaspoonf vanilla
Mix and pour into a greased 9x13 pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes and let cool.

Middle layer:
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
2 tablespoons (or to taste) green creme de menthe liqueur
Mix and spread over brownies, refrigerate to solidify icing

Top layer:
1 cup chocolate chips
6 tablespoons butter
Melt and then let cool slightly (if you don't it'll melt the icing: Not Good Eats™). Spread on top of middle layer. Refrigerate.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at February 26, 2009 02:04 PM

Got a bar-none-best-I've-ever-had chocolate cake plus icing recipe from my mom last fall. Make it twice and you use a whole box of Hershey's cocoa :-)

Definitely worthy of consideration!

Posted by: Lisa-in-DC at February 26, 2009 11:53 PM

The email addy isn't working. I tried sending it from my other account and from yahoo.

Posted by: Cricket at March 4, 2009 01:18 PM

You're welcome to include "Grim's Buffalo Chili" if you like.

Posted by: Grim at March 4, 2009 01:19 PM

Cricket,
Wow...I wonder why it's not working for you.
I can send stuff from my home account to it and it works.

Please go ahead and send it to my other account.
You know the one.
Thanks!!!

Posted by: Carrie at March 4, 2009 01:24 PM

Thanks, Grim!! Appreciate that very much.

Posted by: Carrie at March 4, 2009 01:27 PM

I got yours, Lisa. Thank you.
It sounds like chocolatey deliciousness...:)

Posted by: Carrie at March 4, 2009 01:43 PM

I've got all kinds of recipes. The only problem is that they all start with "Put 10 to 12 charcoal briquets under the dutch oven to pre-heat it ..."

But if you want:

Wash but do not peel 3 to 4 pounds of B-size red potatoes. Cut them in half and set aside. Put 10 to 12 lit charcoal briquets under a 6 quart dutch oven. When it has heated throw in half a stick of butter (1/4 cup). Let it melt and throw in 3/4 of a cup of grated Parmesan cheese. Then take the potatoes and pack them in as tightly as possible in a single layer on the bottom of the oven, cut side down. Throw in a little salt and pepper. Put the top on the oven and put 20 lit briquets on the top of it. Walk away and come back in 40 minutes. The potatoes will be done and the cheese should form a dark brown crust that sticks to the potatoes. Serve immediately.

That ought to be translatable to a regular kitchen over, except I don't know how to get the cheese to brown - maybe put it on top of the stove for the last 5 minutes or so?

Posted by: RonF at March 4, 2009 06:18 PM

Hey! If we just post all of our recipes here in the comments section, then who will need to buy the cook book?

I'm not speaking for Cass or Carrie or any of the other fine people that are pouring their free time into making sure that our honored vets and their families get a little R&R, but if you want my Christmas jambalaya, if you want my Ouzo shrimp, if you want my demon orange ribs, hell if you want any recipe for a meal that will clog your heart such that its been outlawed since the Carter administration, then you are going to have to buy the danged book!

Of course, if you can contribute a recipe or two, then I promise to send you Mrs. C's recipe for Five Day Sauerbraten. Eat it once, and for five days you won't shut up about it. Promise.

I'm curious, though. Am I supposed to send all of these recipes to you, Cass? Or is there some other lucky lass or lad that will be compliling these awesome culinary secrets?

Posted by: spd rdr at March 4, 2009 09:15 PM

spd,
Send your heart-stopping recipes to:

HTScookbook@yahoo.com

I'm looking forward to seeing what you can cook up besides trouble on VC.

0>;~}
*snnnicker*

Posted by: DL Sly at March 4, 2009 09:35 PM

You can send them to Carrie, and if you don't have her email address send them to me and I will forward them.

But if you send them to me, make sure you get a response from me. I'm currently cycling between several laptops and every now and then an email falls through the cracks "_

Posted by: Cassandra at March 4, 2009 09:37 PM

My submission is on its way! It's "Rouxless Shrimp Gumbo" and it's delicious and easy to make.

Posted by: Donna B. at March 4, 2009 10:08 PM

Recipes on their way. Let me know if they do not come through. And yes, these would make terrific Christmas gifts. :-)

Posted by: Deb Conrad at March 4, 2009 11:03 PM

Thanks for the great recipes and clarifying the email address.
It's fine to send them to any of my other email addresses that you might have.

The recipes are really rolling in now.

Posted by: Carrie at March 5, 2009 07:19 AM

Ooh! I love Shrimp Gumbo!

I make Shrimp Creole all the time, but haven't made gumbo for ages. Can't wait to see it!

Posted by: Cassandra at March 5, 2009 08:15 AM

Thanks for the chili recipe, Grim!

I know my chili will be one recipe I submit. Maybe we'll have to have a chili tasting party when the cookbook comes out!

Posted by: Cassandra at March 5, 2009 08:18 AM

I received a chili recipe from Noonan at Op-For as well.
And really, all the recipes look so delicious.

Well...all but Chuck Z's explosives recipe.

Posted by: Carrie at March 5, 2009 08:23 AM

I dug around in the how-to box-o-vittles and chose seven recipes.

I don't know if they are worthy, but they are submitted to htscookbook for your review.

Posted by: bthun at March 5, 2009 12:35 PM

I'll send you a note but any of our recipes are up for grabs and generally use either Devil Dog Brew or Sniper's Brew.

REF: www.devildogbrew.com/category/culture/recipes/

Hope this helps.

Semper Fi, Hank
Owner/Founder DevilDogBrew.com

Claire from KneeDeepInTheHooah.com told me about your blog. She's got a great recipe for Lemon Pound Cake.

Posted by: Hank at March 5, 2009 02:58 PM

Thanks, bthun, I got your email this afternoon.

Hank, I look forward to your note and appreciate the support.

Lemon Pound cake? That sounds delicious!!

Posted by: Carrie at March 5, 2009 03:11 PM

Hey, I will be glad to buy the book, but I would dearly love to see the recipes here. I especially like shrimp creole and gumbo, but have no decent recipe. Pretty please? Anyway, I forwarded these

Apple Hill Cake - to die for

1) BEEF STROGANOFF

1 pound of beef sliced in small strips
Mark's killer marinade
1 onion chopped
2 cups of sliced mushrooms
16 oz sour cream
1 tsp nutmeg
salt to taste
noodles or rice

Marinate the beef in your favorite marinade, use mine below, or use previously cooked beef like London broil described below. Save the marinade. Fry the mushrooms in it along with the onion. Be sure to reduce the liquid or you will have runny Stroganoff. When the onions and mushrooms are reduced add the beef. Brown it and add the sour cream, nutmeg and salt. Serve over hot noodles or rice. This is a modification of a recipe from an old Sunset recipe book.

2) MARK'S KILLER MARINADE

1/4 cup Marie's Red Wine Vinaigrette (or any Italian dressing)
1/4 cup Greta's Sesame soy Marinade (can be hard to find)*
3-4 garlic cloves crushed
1/2 tsp Italian seasoning, or your favorite herbs

*Greta's at

Fake it: 1/4 cup Soy sauce, 1 tbsp olive oil, some sesame seed. Heat it then chill it.

This marinade is best on red meat and makes the best mushrooms you ever ate, when they are fried in the used marinade. Never throw this stuff out! Fry 'shrooms in it.

3) MARK'S KILLER LONDON BROIL

Marinate the meat in the above marinade over night and grill the thing. This makes a most useful starting point for Stroganoff. Slice up the leftovers, or grill two of them and use one for Stroganoff. Hey, it's a lot cheaper than fillet mignon, which, of course works great for Stroganoff, if you want to pay the freight.

4) CLAM CHOWDER

1/2 pound of bacon, chopped and browned and drained of grease
2 potatoes chunked
1 onion
6 cans Snow's chopped clams
1/2 gallon milk
40 saltine crackers (one tube from a box) crushed
2 tbsp butter
salt to taste

Fry the chopped bacon, drain it and fry the onion until transparent. Caramelize the onion if you like; I do. Drain off the clam juice and boil the potatoes in it until soft. Combine the potatoes, bacon and onion in a suitable sized pot. add the milk, butter, crackers (crush them in the tube with the heel of your hand) and bring almost to a boil. Keep stirring under moderate heat, or the chowder will stick and burn. Add the clams last and salt to taste. This is an old family recipe. It tastes even better the second day.

Posted by: Mark at March 5, 2009 06:11 PM

Hi there,

I was trying to e-mail a recipe to the address as given (HTScookbook@yahoo.com.) but I keep getting a bounce message saying address not recognised?

Do I have a problem, or do you?

MIke

Posted by: Mike Cunningham at March 6, 2009 07:54 AM

I am so sorry that folks are having problems with that email address.
It seems to work for some and not for others.

Use this email address if you get a bounce.
conserv00@yahoo.com
(those are number zeroes and not letter O's)
or just click on my name.

Posted by: Carrie at March 6, 2009 08:43 AM

Mike,
I just received your recipe. Thanks and sorry for the email gone wonky problem.
I honestly don't know why that's happening.

Posted by: Carrie at March 6, 2009 08:45 AM

"I honestly don't know why that's happening.

Because it's Yahoo, and you need it to work right.
Sylly gyrl.
0>:~}

Posted by: DL Sly at March 6, 2009 12:56 PM

Because it's yahoo?!

Phew! I was afraid that the Three Stooges - BO, Harry, & Pelosi were having a Packet Sniffer installed on it to see what's cooking amongst the VRC at VC and affiliates.

Posted by: bt_what-me-worry_hun at March 6, 2009 01:03 PM

I sent a couple of recipes via email, but if the lemon pound cake sounds best... please feel free to use this instead of or as well.

LEMON POUND CAKE

Cake Ingredients:
2 cups sugar
1 cup Butter, softened
4 eggs
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup buttermilk (substitute 2 tsps. lemon juice plus 3/4 cups (-)2 tsp of milk. Let stand for 5 minutes)
1/4 C. lemon juice (substitute lemon juice with Key Lime for another awesome taste)
1sm box instant lemon or vanilla pudding

Glaze Ingredients:
1/2 cups Butter
1/2 cup white sugar
6 T. lemon juice

Heat oven to 325 degrees F. Combine flour, instant pudding, baking powder and soda, and salt in medium bowl. Set aside. Combine sugar and butter in large bowl. Beat at medium speed until creamy. Continue beating, adding eggs one at a time, until well mixed. Reduce speed to low; gradually add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk until well mixed. Stir in lemon juice.

Spread batter into greased and floured 12-cup bundt pan. Bake for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan 10 minutes. Turn it out onto wire rack. While warm, poke holes in top of cake with toothpick. Pour glaze over warm cake. Cool completely.

Lemon Glaze
In small saucepan, combine sugar, butter and lemon juice. Bring to boil. Continue to boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat.

Posted by: Claire at March 6, 2009 01:23 PM

Unleaven Bread

Preheat oven to 400 degrees

Ingredients

1 1/4 cup wheat flour
1 1/4 cup white flour
6 tablespoons melted butter
6 tablespoons or more of honey
1/3 cup and 1 tablespoon of milk

Instructions

Mix together to make a firm ball
Divide dough in half
Roll out each half to 1/4 in. thick

Baking Time

5 min. on each side (1 min. over can ruin it)

This is something kids are always asking me to make for them. I even have one nephew who asked me if I would make unleaven bread for his birthday instead of having a cake (that surprised me)!!!

Posted by: Twana Blevins at March 7, 2009 03:33 PM