« Thought for the Day | Main | Aieeeee!!!! Who Will Save Us From This Too! Too Unpatriotic Dissent! »

March 30, 2009

Fighting Dirty

“For what it’s worth,” Mr. Roberts added, “Ray Mabus is probably one of the most intelligent, honorable people I know. I can’t imagine a better choice for secretary of the Navy.”

If Mr. Mabus' attorney is experiencing an intelligence failure, allow me to help him out.

Because I can imagine a far better choice for SecNav. I'd like us to have a Secretary who, for instance, possesses the decency not to record a confidential discussion and use it in court:

In 1998, as Mr. Mabus and his wife, Julie (now Julie Hines), sought to work out their marital problems, he surreptitiously recorded a meeting the couple had with the Rev. Jerry McBride, a mutual friend.

Mr. Mabus had told Mr. McBride in advance that he had been advised by a lawyer to tape the conversation, according to court records. Neither man mentioned the recording to Ms. Hines. During the session, she admitted having an affair and told her husband, “I will hate you till the day I die, and I will tell my children.”

An expert psychiatric witness for Mr. Mabus referred to Ms. Hines’s recorded comments as evidence that he should get legal custody of the couple’s two daughters. The judge in the case awarded legal custody to Mr. Mabus and split physical custody between him and Ms. Hines.

Disgusting. Absolutely disgusting.
Do any of these people possess the slightest shred of integrity?

Posted by Cassandra at March 30, 2009 11:23 AM

Comments

I had no idea that was even legal. Is it legal?

Posted by: airforcewife at March 30, 2009 12:05 PM

Maybe he can use the "Jessica Rabbit" defense?

Posted by: Snarkammando at March 30, 2009 12:08 PM

Even if it's legal, I'd call anyone who did so slimy. Well, I'd probably call them a great many things, but slimy would be one of them. (Expect a note from the Chief Slime objecting to being associated with such behavior, too!)

Posted by: htom at March 30, 2009 12:09 PM

Apparently he broke no laws.

Of course, moral laws were not considered by the NY Times.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 30, 2009 12:28 PM

Of course they don't possess a shred of anything remotely related to decency or integrity. If they did, they would not be exposed as the high-minded hypocrites they really are.

Not tell the third party she was being recorded? Isn't that how Linda Tripp got into trouble? As well as other noted liberals of the Clinton era?
Techno-tinkering recordings of other cell calls?

Posted by: Cricket at March 30, 2009 12:43 PM

Well, in the law of war, this kind of behavior is called perfidy. Perfidy is the act of implying that there is a protected status, and taking advantage of that pretense.

An example of perfidy in war is running up a flag of truce, so that the other party comes to meet you for negotiations -- and then ambushing them. You are implying that there is a protected status, and then using that status to attack them. Another example is pretending to surrender, and then ambushing the soldiers who come to take custody.

The reason that these behaviors are considered so particularly evil is that they do more than lie. They undermine the basis of trust that allows for there to be any restraint in war at all.

By the same token, this kind of behavior can undermine the trust that allows a married couple to try to work out problems. The implication is that this is a private discussion with a family friend, even a man of the cloth. The use of the recorder in this context is perfidious.

Of course, having an affair behind your husband's back isn't sterling behavior either.

Posted by: Grim at March 30, 2009 12:44 PM

Some states only require that one party to a telephone conversation be aware that it is being recorded. I may think Mabus a cad (and perhaps a weak choice for SecNav), but...

Posted by: spd rdr at March 30, 2009 12:50 PM

“For what it’s worth,” Mr. Roberts added, “Ray Mabus is probably one of the most intelligent, honorable people I know...” If Mr. Mabus' attorney is experiencing an intelligence failure...

Nup. He just has a very *limited* circle of acquaintances.

Posted by: BillT at March 30, 2009 01:51 PM

True. But two wrongs don't make a right and Obama didn't just nominate his ex-wife to a position of great trust and responsibility.

It's hard to think of anything more despicable than violating the confidentiality of a marriage counseling session. It defeats the entire purpose of participating. Who would enter into such a session in good faith, knowing their partner was planning to use anything said as a weapon?

Dishonest, and dishonorable.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 30, 2009 02:03 PM

Two wrongs don't make a right.... Maybe, but I'd sooner be damned than be "right" before I allowed the legal system to decide my children's up-bringing. As long as were are arrows in quiver, I'd fight.

Posted by: spd rdr at March 30, 2009 02:48 PM

Ethics and integrity are NOT requirements for a position in teh ONE's cabinet. After all, he is the Messiah (cue the harps and heavenly chorale) and can provide not only wisdom and guidance to all who have drifted from his message, but he can provide absolution. Or a Pee-residential pardon.

Besides, we all know that infidels are just thieves, whoremongers, whores and racists. The big guy (pbuh)will fix all that soon enough. Why, everyone loves us now that Pbo is drivin' the bus....ok, so they love to laugh at us and do what they want, like Kim (Mentally) Il Jong, and Mammy Is In Need Of A Dinner Jacket, or any of a score of tribal warlords who know teh ONE can be rolled like a sailor on liberty in Olongapo in the '60's.

I was always told its better to be pissed off than pissed on, but I really hate it when my feet are getting wet and there ain't a cloud in the sky. Ya know what I mean???

Judgement Day approaches....at least for some.

Posted by: kbob in Katy at March 30, 2009 03:56 PM

His ex-wife did admit to the affair, but she also said something else: she hated her husband.
It seems to me that given his behavior in the counseling session, she had good reason to detest her soon-to-be-ex. Past performance being an indicator and all that...

But she isn't the one being considered or appointed. Her ex is. Aren't we talking about an ethical administration here? Granted, they are situational ethics...

Oh. I digressed.

Never mind.

Posted by: Cricket at March 30, 2009 04:02 PM

"Aren't we talking about an ethical administration here? "
*J. Edgar flips through Most Ethical files*
Ahh, yes here's the file!

*The resulting tremor in the force is sensed by... Lord Dark Helmet*

Posted by: J. Edgar Hubris at March 30, 2009 05:53 PM

But what do I know.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 30, 2009 06:06 PM

"I suppose it's just one more indicator of my general stupidity, but if it were me in that position I can't imagine trying to destroy the love and trust my children felt for their father unless he was a complete monster."
Well M'lady, that might be due to your notoriously misplaced priorities... What with your integrity, your sense of fair play, placing the needs of the children before a spiteful slap fest with hubby, doing the wild thang with others while still married, and so on.

All in all, I'm not in a position to say much about his marriage, his divorce/custody battle other than the good Reverend ain't IMHO so good. And if BO wants him for Sec Nav, I'm automatically suspicious of his character. Birds of a feather and all that.

Posted by: bthun at March 30, 2009 06:18 PM

*sigh* If only the gentleman in question and his wife had participated in the latest technique making an impact on building strong marriages.

C'est la vie...

Posted by: bthun at March 30, 2009 06:24 PM

"... but if it were me in that position..."

I'm sorry, but I find it impossible to believe that you would ever be in such a position. Honor, ethics and morality tend to stick like white on rice (is that racist?) once you've aquired them.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at March 30, 2009 06:31 PM

I don't know that I have ever had all that much integrity, bthun.

There are a lot of things I don't understand about the world, and even more questions to which I don't know the answers.

The only thing that has ever made sense to me is the golden rule. Even there it's easy to go wrong because people want different things, and so they often misinterpret your actions. But lacking perfect knowledge, a person can do far worse than to think how something would affect them before they do it to someone else.

I guess I've just seen too many people drag their kids through the muck with them when they divorce.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 30, 2009 06:34 PM

I love that movie, Sly :)

Thank you.

And bthun...

/smack!!!

Posted by: Cassandra at March 30, 2009 06:39 PM

"Let's just hope that article stays under the radar screen at Villa Cassandranita :p"

Too late. I bookmarked it for future ammunition....ummm, reference.

*snnnnnort!*

0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at March 30, 2009 07:12 PM

Cassandra, while I agree with you about dragging kids through muck, I just can't imagine a woman going from love (there's my naivete again) to hatred and an affair unless there was something wrong to begin with.

To even use the phrase 'I hate' indicates a feeling of such intensity that she committed adultery and would do anything to get away from such a man means big trouble.

Not that she isn't without blame.

Scary.

Posted by: Cricket at March 30, 2009 07:24 PM

It doesn't take much to turn strong love to hate. But there has to be love there to begin with. Otherwise the result is not hate, but indifference.

And what too many people these days never realize is that it takes precious little to prevent that from happening. But they never see it until it's too late because they're too wrapped up in themselves.

Our actions in life reflect our priorities. If you neglect a thing; take it for granted, you usually lose it.

Posted by: Cassandra at March 30, 2009 07:48 PM