« Schumer's Disease | Main | Words Have Meaning... »

March 08, 2009

Obama Exhaustion Watch

Ah... more of that flinty Chicago toughness we've been told to cultivate:

Sources close to the White House say Mr Obama and his staff have been “overwhelmed” by the economic meltdown and have voiced concerns that the new president is not getting enough rest.

British officials, meanwhile, admit that the White House and US State Department staff were utterly bemused by complaints that the Prime Minister should have been granted full-blown press conference and a formal dinner, as has been customary. They concede that Obama aides seemed unfamiliar with the expectations that surround a major visit by a British prime minister.

That doesn't sound like tired. It sounds more like clueless and unprepared.

Allies of Mr Obama say his weary appearance in the Oval Office with Mr Brown illustrates the strain he is now under, and the president’s surprise at the sheer volume of business that crosses his desk. A well-connected Washington figure, who is close to members of Mr Obama’s inner circle, expressed concern that Mr Obama had failed so far to “even fake an interest in foreign policy”.

The American source said: “Obama is overwhelmed. There is a zero sum tension between his ability to attend to the economic issues and his ability to be a proactive sculptor of the national security agenda.

Considering that Mr. Obama was overwhelmed by the constant demands of running for office, is this really surprising?

"You know, really soon, Obama's excuse that he was tired... is going to get tired."

"Do you get the feeling that if Obama becomes president, we're going to need somebody to handle the night shift? Picture it, somebody awakens him at 2 a.m. with some foreign crisis and by dawn we've accidently invaded Paraguay."

There seems to be a pattern developing. Maybe a little music will help:

It's exhausting, being The One
Sure, I thrill your leg
But it's no fun!
At the White House, constant parties
With stars and smarties
I'm just undone!

Papaparrazi, they surround me
They always hound me
With one request
Who can field their star-struck queries?
I'm getting weary.
I need some rest!

I'm tired
Sick and tired of Gov
Tired of the push and shove
From below and above
Tired, tired of being admired
Why is this (*&*^% mic always wired?
Let's face it
I'm tired!

I'm tired,
Tired of playing the game
Ain't it a crying shame
I'm so tired
G(* dammit I'm exhausted!

[Chris Matthews:]
He's tired (He's tired)
Tired of the push and shove (Give him a break)
From below and above (He's only One man!)
Tired, tired of being admired (Can't you see he's sick?)
Why is his (*&^ mic always wired? (Where's his teleprompter?)
He's so tired (Don't you know the man is pooped?)

Posted by Cassandra at March 8, 2009 07:42 AM

Comments

So why does this come to mind ?

Posted by: Neo at March 8, 2009 09:33 AM

That's not flinty Chicago toughness -- that's just good ol' slippery Chicago politics:

1. Never give anybody anything that can be traced back to you.

2. Never appear on camera with anyone if you don't control those who control the media archives.

Paraguay is lovely this time of the year...

Posted by: BillT at March 8, 2009 09:40 AM

So why does this come to mind ?

Perhaps because it was intended to? :)

I'm tired,
Tired of playing the game
Ain't it a crying shame
I'm so tired

Posted by: Cassandra at March 8, 2009 10:29 AM

I wonder if, in that 25 film collection gift, that Gorden Brown found a copy of Dukes of Hazard?
Or possibly, Dude, where's my car?
Actually, it takes a lot of energy to push that crap sandwich (cudoes to Ms Malkin) the messiah is foisting on the great unwashed out here in real land. You know, where we all drive Dodge Chargers with rebel flags painted on top.

Posted by: Joseph Brown at March 8, 2009 11:07 AM

Bitter gun-clinger!!! :)

Posted by: Dude... Where's my Country??? at March 8, 2009 11:10 AM

Dodge, rebel flags, guns... Mahn, ah say mahn, did you like, you rang, er sumpin?
*belch*

Danged old limeys, wuts thar problem? They don't unnerstan that they is just one of a couple ah hunernd other cauntries?

Mus thank theys all hi-hawg.

Posted by: Boomhauer at March 8, 2009 12:14 PM

Yah, it may vel be dat

"He's so tired (Don't you know the man is pooped?)"
But you know zat vit hes economic prowess it is ve who vil get shtup'ed.
So tired...

Posted by: Lily Von Shtupp at March 8, 2009 01:30 PM

Obama is an idiot.

Posted by: Mark at March 8, 2009 02:02 PM

"Well, Tex ma'am, are you in ze economicks bizness?"

"No, ma'am!"

"Then get your input out of Congress!"

Posted by: Innocent Citizen Bystander at March 8, 2009 02:25 PM

You are whining.

Posted by: Dwayne Saunders at March 8, 2009 04:18 PM

Nup. Obama and Staff, LLC, are whining.

Posted by: BillT at March 8, 2009 04:36 PM

You are whining.

Wow. That's really a compelling rebuttal to a post that wasn't about me :p

Posted by: Dude... Where's my Country??? at March 8, 2009 04:38 PM

All of this destruction of the American economy must be tiring to young Barry. Perhaps a few less Wednesday night White House dinners and partying (at taxpayer expense)would serve him well.

Posted by: DaveinPhoenix at March 8, 2009 05:51 PM

Oh... OH YEAH!? Well Rush said he wanted us to miss our naps!

Posted by: CompellingRebuttalsЯus at March 8, 2009 08:22 PM

Obama should have outgrown his need for naps by the time he was through Headstart and kindergarten.

Posted by: Bad Innocent Bystander at March 8, 2009 09:27 PM

Geeze, but Obama some slack guys. It's his first real job since college.

Posted by: peterike at March 9, 2009 07:19 AM

'but Obama some slack?' Do you mean 'cut' instead of 'but?' College isn't just a job, it is an adventure! We don't know if he had a job. All his college records are sealed. So...how did he fund his way through Hahvahd?

Inquiring minds, yanno.

Posted by: Really Bad Innocent Bystander at March 9, 2009 09:33 AM

Geeze, but Obama some slack guys. It's his first real job since college.

Heh :)
This sounds like a job for J-Lo's butt. I know when I'm in over my...

Ummm... nevermind.

Posted by: Cass's Butt at March 9, 2009 10:01 AM

As the Messiah, Mr. Obama does not answer to the likes of you!

OK, coffee break's over. Back on your heads!

Posted by: Alice at March 9, 2009 12:05 PM

'Course I had to spell kudos wrong. I guess I'm just tired, too.

Posted by: Joseph Brown at March 9, 2009 01:03 PM

I wonder if they know that in Britain, when the press say a politician looked tired, they often mean he was drunk (at least, it used to be that way).

Posted by: Infidel753 at March 10, 2009 05:56 PM