« Men vs. Women: Those Little Things You Do | Main | »

April 14, 2009

Did Obama 'Astroturf' Military Welcome in Iraq?

You be the judge:

“Cheered wildly by U.S. troops,” begins Jennifer Democratic Operative Loven’s AP report on Obama’s surprise visit to Iraq on Tuesday.

Quite a contrast to the silent treatment Marines gave Obama at his Camp LeJeune speech in late February. Just how did Obama manage to fix that little problem?

According to a sergeant in Iraq :

We were pre-screened, asked by officials “Who voted for Obama?”, and then those who raised their hands were shuffled to the front of the receiving line. They even handed out digital cameras and asked them to hold them up. [Via Macsmind.]

Question of the day: regardless of whether or not any of this is true, will reporters jump all over the story the way they did with the false "Bush staged Q&A" a few years ago?

My guess is.... no. Some day, I'd just love to have the standard for "newsworthiness" explained to me.

Then again, maybe I can ask John Edwards.

Via BOQ

Posted by Cassandra at April 14, 2009 08:51 AM

Comments

I'm shocked, shocked! to find media manipulation in this administration!

Posted by: spd rdr at April 14, 2009 10:55 AM

Manipulation as in being jerked around or jerked

*ducking flung trivet*

in some *other* prepositional manner?

Yeah, yeah, sooooooo etc.

Posted by: BillT at April 14, 2009 11:09 AM

Yes but the MSM won't report that 600 out of how many didn't show up for the new C&C

Meanwhile the Liberal BS in the MSM is astroturfing for Pirates.

The Age of Somalian Pirates is in line with the median age in the country of Somalia 17 years old, the life expectancy is 47 years old for males, that means a 16 year old would be a full grown man in their culture-country - Not the same as in Western culture. So why is our Media using a Western measuring stick for non Western people? Slow, Ignorant, Lazy….

Posted by: Ree at April 14, 2009 11:49 AM

Bill...

[tapping foot]

(you have to admit - I haven't used that one in a while)

Posted by: Cassandra at April 14, 2009 12:39 PM

Yup, I have to admit it.

You haven't been *flounce*-ing lately, either. You feeling okay?

Posted by: BillT at April 14, 2009 12:52 PM

You know, that may be my favorite thing about the gentlemen of VC. You guys sure know how to be nice while keeping that masculine thing goin' on :p

I am fine :) I just have not felt much like flouncing lately. Like everything else, it will pass.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 14, 2009 12:59 PM

Why ask John Edwards? Just channel him. Or wait til Bob Woodward does...Oh wait. Bob Woodward is older and *could* predecease the Hamster.

Posted by: Cricket at April 14, 2009 01:27 PM

We're packing, toots. And don't you forget it!

Posted by: Public Enemy No. 4, 576, 307, 012.46 at April 14, 2009 01:28 PM

"We're packing, toots."

Is that a warning to stay upwind?

Posted by: Snarkammando at April 14, 2009 01:42 PM

Non-story. The question is whether or not there will be a plastic turkey for him to carry about.

Posted by: htom at April 14, 2009 02:36 PM

Plastic turkey? He's already got Joe Biden.

*rimshot!*

Geez it was warm out on the Gulf today. What are the rest of you peasants up to?

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at April 14, 2009 02:49 PM

Just sitting in the Coliformico sun, smelling the orange blossoms. Although I *should* get the rest of the driveway washed down.....or not.
Maybe fire up the riding lawnmower and cut the grass.....or drink a beer.
Or both.
It has a cup holder.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at April 14, 2009 03:13 PM

What are the rest of you peasants up to?

About 5'4", last time I checked Don :)

Posted by: Cassandra at April 14, 2009 03:24 PM

What are the rest of you peasants up to?

I've been to Sam's to get a refund on our first 32" flat panel LCD TV, bought for about $900 30 months ago. The screen goes bright pink and black periodically, probably won't heal itself.

I came out with TWO flat panel LCD TVs, a 32" to replace the malfunctioning one, and a 19" to replace my little 10" LCD that has been fixed twice. Spent $889 for the two.

Isn't America a great place to live? Do you think we'll be able to pry it out of Barack Obama's clutches next election cycle?

Posted by: MathMom at April 14, 2009 03:35 PM

I sincerely wish that a true sample of Iraq servicemen and women had been allowed to greet our Dear Leader. It would have been great to hear feet shuffling, throats being cleared, and an occasional polite patter of applause. But O'Bambi is too thin-skinned and needful of adulation to allow such an embarrassment to occur.

Posted by: MathMom at April 14, 2009 03:44 PM

'Specially since the last couple of times it happened.

Wasn't as bad as when Biden visited up here, though -- the entire DFAC clientele stopped eating and proceeded rapidly to the nearest exits. As I was departing, the only ones I saw remaining inside were Biden's escorts and the folks on the serving line.

Posted by: BillT at April 14, 2009 06:00 PM

Re Biden--when a skunk walks into the chow hall, it's time to evacuate.

Re Obama--its nice he was able to arrange for the sort of "hollywood style welcome" he got in Iraq. You wouldn't want the fellow to think that the whole world wasn't in a rush to kiss his ring or something.

The man just keeps wasting air time talking to the folks all the time. Every speech is a "major speech" wherein he practically breaks his arm patting his own self on the back.

Posted by: Mike Myers at April 14, 2009 06:12 PM

Didn't know that our V.P. had the same effect as an M26 Grenade!

Posted by: Boquisucio at April 14, 2009 06:12 PM

I was thinking more along the lines of a limburgher bomb....

Posted by: Snark Le'Puss at April 14, 2009 06:42 PM

He who smelt it dealt it.

Posted by: Boquisucio at April 14, 2009 06:49 PM

Hey - when you're a community organizer, that's what you do best.

Does anybody remember the Hawaii visit last Christmas? I do believe the reception was a lot cooler.

Posted by: ZZMike at April 14, 2009 09:42 PM

That's the thing about Dems visiting the troops, ZZMike - they always come visit when the troops are eating, stand there asking questions and interrupt their meal, or like Hillary, they barge the queue and go to the front to be served first.

GWB served the troops, and always waited his turn in line. That would make me a lot more fond of my CinC.

Posted by: MathMom at April 14, 2009 10:20 PM