« The Caine Mutiny | Main | Blue »

April 28, 2009

The Criminal Element...

....lurking in our ranks. The Editorial Staff cannot say we are surprised.

We suspect, however, that a certain hot jailer may have been responsible for his willingness to be taken into custody. Not so sure about this hardened criminal (scroll down to the second photo).

This is probably a good time to talk about old friends. For as long as the Princess has been blathering, Mr. and Mrs. G have been out there diligently keeping the Milblogs community informed with a seemingly boundless supply of wit, good humor, passion, and above all competence. I will never forget the day I first heard Greyhawk had gone off and formed his own "blog".

I thought he was insane. If Mudville is insanity, however, we should all be so crazy. I've been a huge fan ever since.

I haven't talked about the 2009 Milblogs Conference.

Carrie and I were there last weekend. I was sort of flying under the radar (not hard to do when you run a small site). If you don't know it already, the Milblogs Conference is a joint venture of Military.com, one Andi Hurley: Milspouse Extraordinaire, and various civic-minded corporate entities. Andi is the woman every military wife wants to be when she grows up. I live in perpetual fear I'll awake one morning to find she has taken Capitol Hill in a bloodless coup and converted our Congressional Overlords into her willing slaves.

All this I could bear, except that ... dagnabbit...she's Army. Some things just ain't right.

At any rate, some thank yous are in order. At the Best Milblogs Conference evah, Mrs. G put on the Best Fundraiser Evah: Jail and Bail. Our little non-profit, Honor Their Service, took in the princely sum of $905.00 from Jail and Bail alone! To everyone who helped make this event a success: Greyhawk and Mrs. G, Homefront Six, Fbl, Boston Maggie (resident torturer) and WifeUnit, Sherri and Andi (if I've missed anyone, please let me know!) - we can only say thanks from the bottom of our hearts.

We have great plans for putting the money to good use. In other news, USAA and BAE Systems, both huge supporters of the military community, were kind enough to donate generously. Corporations get a lot of undeserved bad press, but these folks have really stepped up to the plate to support wounded and ill vets and their families.

To everyone who helped with Jail and Bail or worked to make the Milblogs Conference a huge success, thank you. I got to meet too many folks to mention here, including my super secret blog hero.

Truly, a good time was had by all. Outstanding work, Andi.

Posted by Cassandra at April 28, 2009 04:57 PM

Comments

Andi may cause you to gnaw your knuckles with a tiny bit of anxiety, but you are every inch the military spouse I aspire to be as well, and it isn't about the branch of service (well, okay, maybe in a tiny section of the universe it is) as much as it is we are all in this together, except the whiners. We'll leave them in the kiddie pool.

Posted by: Cricket at April 29, 2009 10:23 PM

...but you are every inch the military spouse I aspire to be as well...

Great. Now I have to PhotoShop *you* as a blonde, too?

Posted by: BillT at April 30, 2009 04:17 PM

Don't waste yer time. It might grow out. I *was* a blonde with red streaks over the ears. The red has turned to white and the blonde is mousy brown. I have never dyed my hair, although I was sorely tempted to during the late 70s.

:p

Posted by: Cricket at May 1, 2009 10:27 AM

Cricket:

I am the world's biggest goof :) My biggest challenge on a daily basis is to avoid looking like an ass - at task I have yet to master.

But thanks :)

Posted by: Cassandra at May 1, 2009 10:29 AM

I need some advice:
I've have had chin fur for nigh on 30 years, but it somehow turned remarkably white once I started reading VC. My daughters think that these white whiskers make me look a lot older than I really am, particularly in light of my ripped bod and healthy head of He-Man hair.

Question: Should I color my beard, even if only to just to shock them into leaving me alone, or will that make me a girly man?

Serious responses only.

Posted by: spd rdr at May 1, 2009 02:47 PM

God, you are such a tease, mr rdr :p

Oh, and I didn't have anything to do with this:

it somehow turned remarkably white once I started reading VC.

You know, I have never met a man who likes right and left rudder from women.

I will say, however, that I have always rather liked gray/white hair on a man. If anyone doesn't like it, just flash your 6 pack at them :p

Posted by: Cassandra at May 1, 2009 03:04 PM

Mine's a twelve-pack, dear girl, usually non-returnable twist-offs.

But if someone out there would clue me in to what "right and left rudder" means, I would be eternally port and starboard for the info.

Posted by: spd rdr at May 1, 2009 03:10 PM

if someone out there would clue me in to what "right and left rudder" means

"Different airplanes also react differently and will require different amounts of right and left rudder to counteract these forces during climbs and descents."

It is something my Dad always used to say. Right and left rudder is superfluous advice (though some would tell you that is redundant when it refers to advice from a woman). Or as my Dad likes to say, "I have no opinion on that subject, dear..."

Posted by: Cassandra at May 1, 2009 03:35 PM

Well, thanks for clearing that up, little lady.

Flyboys. Sheesh, they can't even find the horizon.

Posted by: spd rdr at May 1, 2009 03:53 PM

Flyboys. Sheesh, they can't even find the horizon.

Posted by: spd rdr at May 1, 2009 03:53 PM
***********************************************

Yeah, but we can always find the ground. Or it occasionally reaches up and smites our asses if we don't pay attention. :^)

KP
Sailor and Pilot, as well as Engineer of nuclear power plant fame.

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at May 1, 2009 07:37 PM

Well, damn, Kbob, if you're a already sailor, then why the hell would you bother trying to fly?

Posted by: spd rdr at May 1, 2009 10:47 PM

So he can impress the ladies, rather than the lads...

Posted by: BillT at May 2, 2009 04:29 AM

Late in commenting, I had to step away from computer after conference to find my house under mounds of sawdust and power tools (company coming), But it was so good to see you and Carrie again. Glad you decided to come so Greyhawk could finally meet one of his longest virtual friends.

That $ # went up from the last estimated tally which is awesome, so glad this turned out so well and I too would like to Thank EVERYONE who made this a huge success, and so much fun.

Hope to do a post on this to get feedback from attendees, this could be a new tradition, however I'm still lookin into a Texas-holdem fundraiser. ;)

Posted by: Mrs G at May 4, 2009 08:15 AM