« Mind over Matter | Main | Coffee Snorters: Lord of the Dance Edition »

April 15, 2009

The Obligatory Tea Party Post

Merde.

The blog princess can no longer live with the guilt of being the only conservative site on the 'Net not to wax fulminatious on the subject of Tea Parties.

Consider this her one and only mea culpa.

Watching this whole tea party thing, the Princess can't help but feel slightly bemused by the astounding feats of rhetorical excess to be seen on both sides of the political aisle. She likes her vodka as much as the next person, but sometimes a Martini is just a Martini:

To be continued...

OK.

That was scary. Way too reminiscent of the small but prestigous Virginia prep school I graduated from (but only after spending my entire Junior year trying to get kicked out). Failure can be so humiliating.

Seriously, it has become something of a cliche to note the way both parties seem to have exchanged principles of late. Suddenly, conservatives are marching in the streets, speaking truth to power. And Liberals, the former guardian angels of patriotic dissent? Liberals are outraged... outraged, I tell you! that anyone would dare to question Barack Obama's absolute authoriteh.

Of course, questioning authority was all the rage during the Bush years. In fact, dissent was widely considered the hallmark of the true patriot in the leftosphere.

But that was Then.

This is Now. Inexplicably, the ascension of the Candidate of Change to the Oval Office transmogrified the vibrant expression of dissent once deemed the very lifeblood of a free and democratic society into a pathological disease (and who among us wouldn't rather be called a sociopath than a non-patriot?)

Are you better off than you were 4 years ago? If you dare to question that premise, you're obviously insane. Or selfish.

Dissent, these days, is no longer an unalloyed good in lefty circles. The free exercise of political speech must be evaluated by the standards they propose. Dissent they agree with? Good. Dissent they disagree with? Insanity. Degenerative mental illness, Progressive strictures against demonizing the other and hampering diversity notwithstanding. If you're confused, you're not alone.

Predictably, Andrew Sullivan is indulging his inner diva again:

...it seems odd to describe this as anything but a first stab at creating opposition to the Obama administration's spending plans, manned by people who made no serious objections to George W. Bush's. The tea-parties are as post-partisan as Reynolds, one of the most relentlessly partisan bloggers on the web. When you see them holding up effigies of Bush, who was, unlike Obama, supposed to be the fiscal conservative, let me know.

Creating opposition? Good God. These people have always opposed Obama. Hell, they opposed Bush, and he was a Republican. Sorry, but this is spectacularly dishonest.

I can say that, because for four years I defended George Bush against other conservatives who felt betrayed when he fulfilled promised he'd made over and over on the campaign trail.

I can understand disagreement. That's legitimate. The betrayal meme was utter unreconstructed hogwash. With George Bush, you always knew exactly where he was coming from. Though I don't agree with these folks, I can be honest enough to admit that in this instance, they're being intellectually consistent. To call it hypocrisy when Republicans who criticized George Bush for deficit spending are unhappy with a President they didn't vote for who has, in few short months, already outspent his predecessor is not only factually inaccurate, but downright dishonest.

wapoobamabudget1.jpg

Posted by Cassandra at April 15, 2009 05:36 PM

Comments

Chocolate Martinis - Da's Pimpin'.

Posted by: Boquisucio at April 15, 2009 06:04 PM

Yanno... that was my "thing" that I did whilst the Unit was in Iraq for a year.

Every time I went out (and I went out every chance I got) I ordered a different kind of Martini. I had quite a few Chocolate Martinis. One of the best was (believe it or not) at the bar of Legal Seafood at Reagan National. There is a bartender there who makes the best Chocolate Martini I've ever had.

In general, I prefer the clear ones.

Posted by: Cassandra at April 15, 2009 06:16 PM

..."sometimes a Martini is just a Martini"
Yeah. Grand ain't it.

Salute!

Speakin' of tea parties, martini's and conservative rabble rousing, where'd Al go?

Posted by: Ron White's third cousin, twice removed, once repossessed at April 15, 2009 06:16 PM

There was a tea party in the DownTown area of my fair city and they didn't invite me. Is there such a thing as discrimination against teetotalers?

Meanies.

*PS. No teetotalers were offended in the lack of said invite; it was another teetotaler friend of ours who told us about it and wondered where we were. Well, uh..gee, we didn't KNOW about it.

Posted by: Cricket at April 15, 2009 07:21 PM

I say, this is truly evidentiary that we people of pallor are entirely capable of "getting down with our own bad selves", yo?

Most excellent Ms. Cassandra.

Reporting from the hard packed sandy beaches of Daytona today. Next week: Oslo, neighborhood of the fjords and people of near ghostly pallor.

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at April 15, 2009 07:22 PM

Pack something warm!

Posted by: Cassandra at April 15, 2009 09:19 PM

Yanno.......
If this is just you puttin' pixels out there cause you *oughta*, I would love to read that which you would write should you ever get the time to really fashion a flawless essay. 'Twould be a thing of beauty, of this I'm sure.
Well spoken, my friend, well spoken.

*tips beer in Princess' location*
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at April 15, 2009 10:02 PM

I was going to ride my Harley to a "T.E.A. party"...but it was raining.
(April showers an' all that)

I guess I'm just a "fair weather patriot"... :-(

Posted by: camojack at April 16, 2009 01:02 AM

I've got photos from the Austin Tea Party up. Had to work this evening, so I haven't been able to "talk" about it.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at April 16, 2009 01:22 AM

The Other Side is only foamy because they aren't *chai* parties...

Posted by: BillT at April 16, 2009 04:27 AM

Favorite Tea Party sign: "7 years of war costs less than 90 days of socialism"

Posted by: Texan99 at April 16, 2009 11:20 AM

I had a cuppa tea, and the read again parts of Caesar's Gallic Wars (which a labored to translate as a ill-mannered youth and altar boy). I was struck by this particular passage, which, fortunately for you, was translated by someone who actually understands Latin.

Caesar, when informed of these matters, fearing the fickle disposition of the Gauls, who are easily prompted to take up resolutions, and much addicted to change, considered that nothing was to be intrusted to them; for it is the custom of that people to compel travelers to stop, even against their inclination, and inquire what they may have heard, or may know, respecting any matter; and in towns the common people throng around merchants and force them to state from what countries they come, and what affairs they know of there. They often engage in resolutions concerning the most important matters, induced by these reports and stories alone; of which they must necessarily instantly repent, since they yield to mere unauthorized reports; and since most people give to their questions answers framed agreeably to their wishes.

Nothing like progress, eh?

Posted by: spd rdr at April 16, 2009 11:44 AM

I'm glad I went and I'd do it again. I wasn't happy with Bush's spendthrift ways and I'm definitely not happy with the current administration trumping what Bush spent and managing to do so in the first 90 days and they still aren't done! Libs getting their noses bent out of joint because they wonder where the protesters where then can know that us protesters weren't just picketing in the streets but were busy in between lunch hours and after work hour duties, writing our representatives and making phone calls demanding that our government listen to us. The idea that this TEA Party sprung up overnight as a protest against Obama is not only narcissistic but completely unfounded if only the Libs would do a little research.

Posted by: Red at April 16, 2009 12:17 PM

And btw the last decent chocolate martini I got to experience was at a now defunct Planet Hollywood in Houston. It was my friend Suzann'es birthday and we all ordered different drinks. Mine was the "Ghost" martini. It was clear but tasted of chocolate. So good!

Posted by: Red at April 16, 2009 12:19 PM

I ate a chocolate bar and looked at a bottle of vodka. Would that be considered a *very* dry chocolate martini? Or would I also have to *think* about a bottle of gin, too?

0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at April 16, 2009 12:56 PM

Modern Bi-partisan Logic:
Martinis require gin.
Vodka is not gin.
Ergo, terroists don't drink martinis.
Cuba Libre.

Posted by: Three Martini Congress at April 16, 2009 02:08 PM

I don't have any problem at all with the tea parties.

How else are ordinary citizens supposed to be heard? I think it's a good thing. The Left were allowed to demonstrate against the war even though that gave aid and comfort to the enemy. Why on earth shouldn't conservatives be allowed to voice their concerns BEFORE we spend any more money?

Posted by: Cassandra at April 16, 2009 02:35 PM

"I'm always amazed at how the past often yields better perspective of human nature than anything in our present experience."

Which is why the adage, "Hindsight is 20/20" remains a nugget of truth irregardless of perspective.

Three Martini Congress (Teddy, is that you?? 0>;~}) -
I'll stick with Ben Franklin.

Posted by: DL Sly at April 16, 2009 02:49 PM

`At any rate I'll never go THERE again!' said Alice as she picked her way through the wood. `It's the stupidest tea-party I ever was at in all my life!' ...

Posted by: janeanegarofalo at April 18, 2009 02:12 PM

Hang in there until you turn twenty-one, Alice...

Posted by: BillT at April 18, 2009 02:42 PM