« The Comfort Zone | Main | Obama Man »

May 19, 2009

Gregorio Manuel Chavez

A few years ago on the 5th anniversary of 9/11, Carrie wrote a lovely tribute to Gregorio Manuel Chavez, who died while working at Windows on the World in New York.

We didn't know much about Mr. Chavez at the time. Carrie tried to find as much information as she could. Last night I received a special email from someone who loved him. Because I've erased most of my old posts, it's not possible to leave a comment on that post anymore so I wanted to post it here.

He is remembered. And he was loved.

I don't know who you are and I don't know where you're from.. but I have to say thank you because I now know that it was not only my family who knew of the tragedy that happened to my uncle. Its been 7 and a half years since 9/11 and there isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of him.. since you don't know much about him I'll try to fill in missing pieces for you.

Gregorio Manuel Chavez born Dec. 25 1952 was a loving, hardworking family man. His wife and only son live in the Dominican Republic and he worked diligently to provide for them from a distant land. I remember him bringing my sisters and I candy each and every time he would visit us which was very often. At the time I was 10 years old and he was like my life-sized teddy bear. I remember the last time I saw him.. he spent the night at my house and slept in my living room, I woke up in the middle of the night just to see if he was there. I loved him more than words can express.. and finding your page that mentioned him actually brings comfort to know that not all of his memory was lost and that somewhere out there someone else knows of his story..

Please take a moment to say a prayer for his soul.

Posted by Cassandra at May 19, 2009 10:06 PM

Comments

Prayer said...and thanks for sharing this.

Posted by: camojack at May 20, 2009 01:15 AM

I can and will pray for this man and all the other people who have had their health or their lives taken from them since 9/11. No, make that since October 23, 1983. May the departed rest in peace and may the survivors find some peace during their time in this world.

Posted by: bthun at May 20, 2009 08:01 AM

Thanks, guys :)

You're the best.

Posted by: Cassandra at May 20, 2009 08:03 AM

My thanks as well, guys.

Posted by: Carrie at May 20, 2009 10:03 AM

Prayers sent - and for the larger group bthun encompassed.

Thanks to Carrie for writing the tribute, and caring enough to provide the note from Gregorio's niece. And to Cassandra for sharing it with us. Wonderful proof that he was well-loved, and is missed. May all those lost be remembered so well.

Posted by: jck at May 20, 2009 03:44 PM

God bless Gregorio Manuel Chavez and all the 9/11 victims and families. Let us keep them in our hearts and fresh in our memories.

Posted by: Red at May 20, 2009 04:13 PM

It is nearly unbelievable how small the world has become through the Internet. Carrie, Cassandra - If you somehow find this message I want you to know My name is Todd, I live in Altoona, Iowa. I have never met Gregorio Chavez, and had no idea who he was, but through chance or fate or whatever you might call it, I have a memorial flag with a yellow ribbon on it, embossed "In Memory of GREGORIO MANUEL CHAVEZ, Age 48, New York, NY. Gregorio was in the World trade Center on September 11, 2001"

I fly this flag from my deck each July 4th and September 11th. Today (July 4th) I was curious, so I googled him and came across your old post on this site.

I even posted a pic of it today on both my Twitter (@firehouse25) and facebook accounts.

I am sure he was a wonderful man, and I am sad for your loss. ALL of America is sad and shares in your loss. That's why I live in America, and that is why I fly "our" flag in his honor.

If the admin of this site reads this and sees fit, please forward my email address if you wish, or write back to me with an address I can send a picture of the flag/ribbon.

Best wishes to you and family,

Todd R. in Altoona, Iowa, USA.

Posted by: Todd at July 4, 2012 04:23 PM