« The Courage of Our Convictions | Main | »

May 14, 2009

Quote of the Day

“The old woman said: “You’ve heard of animals chewing off a leg to escape a trap? There’s an animal kind of trick. A human would remain in the trap, endure the pain, feigning death that he might kill the trapper and remove a threat to his kind.”

The itch became the faintest burning. “Why are you doing this?” he demanded.

“To determine if you’re human" ."

Posted by Cassandra at May 14, 2009 08:07 AM

Comments

The "DUNES" always prevail despite the petty machinations of the players thereon. In the meantime, the age-old theater plays on as each actor and actress performs their assigned role.

Occasionally, one of the players strays from the script for a brief instant adding the odd thread of individuality to the play.

It is better to die trying than to live failing. The Dune covers all in the end:

Ozymandias

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said - Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose from
And wrinkled lip and sneer of cold command
Tell that it's sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamp'd on these lifeless things,
The hand that mock'd them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal these words appear:
"My name is Ozymadias king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!"
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare,
The lone and level sands stretch far away

Percy Bysshe Shelley

Posted by: vet66 at May 14, 2009 09:39 AM

"They saw there could be no such continuity without separating human stock from animal stock--for breeding purposes."

The so-called elites down through the ages have always tried to turn part of the population into animals, with horrible results.

Posted by: Russ at May 14, 2009 01:17 PM

What about that guy who cut off his hand to escape his entrapment in Utah?

Posted by: camojack at May 15, 2009 01:03 AM

"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

That whole scene from Dune has remained crystal clear in my mind since the first time I read it, many years ago.

It's also a great way to start off a book!

Posted by: cas at May 15, 2009 04:52 AM

"What about that guy who cut off his hand to escape his entrapment in Utah?

Posted by: camojack at May 15, 2009 01:03 AM"

Is this the fellow that you are thinking of Camo? If so, I'd have to agree that, at least in my book, he rates maximum points for not only having the will to survive, but for mental toughness too.

Posted by: bthun at May 15, 2009 08:26 PM

That's the guy, yes. World class cojones on that 'un...

Posted by: camojack at May 18, 2009 03:59 AM

It has been a long time since I have read Dune. Yet I read this and wonder if Herbert used this incident not only to confirm Paul's humanity but to establish the priestesses as his enemy needing to be destroyed in order to protect his kind.

Posted by: njartist at May 18, 2009 11:22 AM