« Thursday Time Waster | Main | Lioness »

May 07, 2009

Thought for the Day

It takes God a long time to get us out of the way of thinking that unless everyone sees as we do, they must be wrong. That is never God’s view. There is only one liberty, the liberty of Jesus at work in our conscience enabling us to do what is right.

That seems about right to me.

CWCID

Posted by Cassandra at May 7, 2009 08:09 AM

Comments

Sounds right to me, too. No one can ever take away our liberty to do the right thing within whatever power we have. They can only increase the cost of our choice.

Posted by: Texan99 at May 7, 2009 11:18 AM

The "thought" as presented by the linked person and the variance of associated cost pointed out in first comment are without a doubt, a couple of pearls. Yup.

Posted by: bthun at May 7, 2009 11:45 AM

Yanno, the *cost* of choosing to do the "right thing" never changes. It's in choosing to not do the "right thing" that exacts a price.

Posted by: DL Sly at May 7, 2009 12:55 PM

The "thought" rings true. Some will take a life time to learn it. Some never will.

God gives us various relationships (child to parent, parent to child, husband to wife, subordinate to boss and vice versa) to show us we may not always have the BIG picture (even though we think we are right). Or, that there are no wrong ways to skin that particular feline (my apologies to KITTY).

Strange how much trouble we can get into by trusting our own heart motives and self-interests, doing what we think is the "right thing". Happily, I learned a couple decades back that this happens way to easily without God, demonstrating the truth of this powerful proverb,
"There is a way which seems right to a man, But its end is the way of death."

Posted by: ziobuck at May 7, 2009 01:48 PM

I don't know much about God, but I am confident that, if He exists, He speaks through me.

If not, then my life is a lie.

Posted by: spd rdr at May 7, 2009 07:48 PM

The sad thing would be to believe that we are all there is. That has always seemed to me like a failure of imagination :)

Posted by: Cassanda at May 7, 2009 08:12 PM

I like to think of myself as a Messianic Jew, as in one who believes the Messiah has come, rather than one who believes He is yet to come.

Anyway, I've no problem with the thought expressed in this post. Two simple (?) rules:

1. Love God.
2. Love your neighbor*.

*Everyone who isn't you. That's the tough part...and I think we all need reminding, sometimes.

Posted by: camojack at May 8, 2009 03:57 AM