« Thought for the Day | Main | They Were My Brothers »

May 18, 2009

Why I Love The Milblogs Community...

...we debate important questions like this.

My fave comment (the Princess will not reveal the author so as not to unduly excite the female readership):

"I could never go commando. It would present too large a target to the Enemy".

Posted by Cassandra at May 18, 2009 08:10 AM

Comments

I wouldn't, either.

Using a tripod-supported weapon would be unsportsmanlike against a foe firing from the prone, unsupported position...

Posted by: Bill "There's a *reason* for the 27-inch zipper" T at May 18, 2009 09:20 AM

The Vergatario hath spoken.

Posted by: Boquisucio at May 18, 2009 10:50 AM

It hath spoken? I didn't even hear it ring...

Posted by: Bill "There's a *reason* for the 27-inch zipper" T at May 18, 2009 11:25 AM

'Cause it's set on vibrate, you silly goose

Posted by: Boquisucio at May 18, 2009 12:19 PM

"I could never go commando. It would present too large a target to the Enemy".

Front or back? Thong lines or not?

Burning questions here.

Posted by: Cricket at May 18, 2009 01:16 PM

I shall call him 'Pinkheart.'

Posted by: Cricket at May 18, 2009 01:20 PM

Pinkheart Bravefighter.

Posted by: Cricket at May 18, 2009 01:22 PM

But some on that email thread also said that "commando" chafes...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at May 18, 2009 02:10 PM

Without going into more detail than I'm comfortable with (and more detail than any here really want to know), for our female members I'd compare going commando to running without a bra. From what I understand it's fairly comparable.

Posted by: MikeD at May 18, 2009 03:11 PM

This young man exhibits high style in the middle of a high stress activity. Commendable, young man.

But questions remain: What make of boxers is this brave young man wearing? How come the manufacturer hasn't yet jumped upon such stunning front page exposure to better market its wears? How can I make a buck off of this?

Posted by: spd rdr at May 18, 2009 03:38 PM

We referred to that state of deshabille as being the original "Free Range" for the "boys!" It also aided the medics who cut everything off to administer first aid or triage if necessary.

For the guys it is "Free the boys" and for the gals it is "Free the girls." Where do thing the phrase "Free range" came from?

Posted by: vet66 at May 18, 2009 03:40 PM

What email thread? Did I get dropped?

Posted by: Cricket at May 18, 2009 06:41 PM

Earlier versions of the new Army Combat Uniform (the dingy grey one that doesn't blend with anything) seemed to have a lot of quality control issues. The seams would rip out on a dare, let alone vigorous movement. Before one operation, I put on a brand new set and then promptly ripped out the crotch while taking a knee before boarding the Chinook.

That 4-day mission stretched into 18 days. The little hole became quite large. I wore layers. Most of the infantry we were attached to did not. Eventually, the seats of the uniform trousers also ripped out for a lot of people. You would occasionally see some other camo pattern having replaced the seats as soldiers tried to do field repairs on their only uniform. Eventually, a sizable portion of the company had no, er, flank coverage, which ruined a substantial number of shots in my digital camera.

I'm told the newer issue ones are reinforced.

Sig

Posted by: Sig at May 18, 2009 07:10 PM

Posted by: The-Manchurian-bubba_hun at May 18, 2009 07:37 PM

...I'd compare going commando to running without a bra. From what I understand it's fairly comparable.

Naw i' ye're roonin' thro a field o' thistles in yer kilt, it ain't...

Posted by: Bill "There's a *reason* for the 27-inch zipper" T at May 18, 2009 09:45 PM

What email thread? Did I get dropped?

No Cricket - different group of folks, I think.

Posted by: Cassandra at May 18, 2009 10:04 PM

Didn't you get the memo that all crotches must be ripped out before boarding a Chinook?

Posted by: Sly's Wardrobe Mistress at May 18, 2009 11:56 PM

I had similar disappointing experiences with the wonderful ACUs at Ft. Hunter Liggett while undergoing pre-deployment workup. Major restorationa and severe reinforcement was required in the ingruenal(sp) areas to preclude the Santa Ana winds from performing a vienna sausage roast.

Yet another uniform disaster promulgated by the US Army from the Ivory Towers and verdant campuses of higher intelligence. Soon we will be down to coveralls for all occasions to reduce our required uniforms, but all the ribbons, brass, awards and decorations will still be on, along with a bow tie for after 1800 formal wear. Yumpin' Jesus on a Vespa - leave uniforms alone until we get the other issues under control!!!

I procured longer legged briefs rather than native american shorts (to PC up the things they issued at RTC San Diego in 1971) as a backup, since there were persons of both the opposite and indeterminate gender in the grid square. Better safe than sorry.

Snakebite? Sorry sir, I think you gonna die!...to borrow a punchline.

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at May 19, 2009 12:15 AM

Hi, nice post. I have been wondering about this topic,so thanks for sharing. I will certainly be subscribing to your blog.

Posted by: runescape power leveling at May 19, 2009 05:12 AM

"Naw i' ye're roonin' thro a field o' thistles in yer kilt, it ain't.."
Aye, roon in the thistle and ye may cry.
Roon, an ye'll be barbed... at fer least awhale.
An dying wath anogony in your beds fer many days from now,
would ye be willing to trade all the thistles, from this day to that,
fer one chance,
just one chance,
ta come back 'ere and tell our enemies
tha thay may bushhog our thistles,
Aye, thay may take our kilts,
but thay'll never take our FREEDOM!!!

Na whar did I lave tha overproof malt I 'ave roond 'ere fer medicinal parpouses?

Posted by: Will'am Wallace at May 19, 2009 07:33 AM

I asked because the Death Star (aka AT&T) has been messing around with our email and Many Things have not made it through.

Carry on.

Posted by: Cricket at May 19, 2009 08:29 AM

Wonder if the Celts called their BDU's battle rattle?

Posted by: The-Manchurian-bubba_hun at May 18, 2009 07:37 PM

BDU...oooh...I must resist..I will whack the bubba-hun for tempting me with acronymns.

For SHAME!

Bwahahahahaha....

Posted by: Cricket at May 19, 2009 08:33 AM

B - where did you pick up that term - "Battle Rattle?" You wuz USN, and I didn't think you fell into the Army crevasse....

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at May 19, 2009 07:35 PM

KevBob, I learnt how ta read in them thar Navy skools. Heh. That and most male members of the Hun clan have rotated through the military at one time or another, so the breeze is shot amongst all of us, from time to time.

Right now my third nephew to serve is in the Army. He recently won his Stetson and spurs according to his momma and dad. Maybe I'll get a bit of detail out of that rascal when he is home on leave, prior to his deployment to Afghanistan.

Yup, most males from the Hun clan back as far as I've tracked to this point, that being my grandfathers, have done the deed, starting around the big one, WWI. Well all except my youngest older bro. He trashed his knees playing college round ball, in '63 maybe... He was not even allowed on the Group W bench with those knees.

Posted by: The-Manchurian-bubba_hun at May 19, 2009 10:56 PM

When I participated in the SE Asia games of 1965 - 1973, we had not need for the nearly 100 lbs of "protection" that we have now. That IBA vest with sappy plates plus the load bearing vest with a combat load, a baby ruck and a camelback....oh, plus pistol and M4 and whatever else you think you can carry - like coloring books and colored pencils (note to all - crayons + 120 F temps are not a good mix!)..it gets heavy!!!

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at May 21, 2009 09:25 PM