« Promises, Promises... | Main | Tap Tap Tap.... »

June 26, 2009

Conyers: "But .... All The Other Reps Are Taking Theirs!"

Can you imagine the furor if this had happened while Der BusHitler were in office?

House Judiciary Committee Chairman John Conyers Jr. has backed off his plan to investigate wrongdoing by the liberal activist group ACORN, saying "powers that be" put the kibosh on the idea.

Mr. Conyers, Michigan Democrat, earlier bucked his party leaders by calling for hearings on accusations the Association of Community Organization for Reform Now (ACORN) has committed crimes ranging from voter fraud to a mob-style "protection" racket.

"The powers that be decided against it," Mr. Conyers told The Washington Times.

The chairman declined to elaborate, shrugging off questions about who told him how to run his committee and give the Democrat-allied group a pass.

Pittsburgh lawyer Heather Heidelbaugh, whose testimony about ACORN at a March 19 hearing on voting issues prompted Mr. Conyers to call for a probe, said she was perplexed by Mr. Conyers' explanation for his change of heart.

"If the chair of the Judiciary Committee cannot hold a hearing if he want to [then] who are the powers that he is beholden to?" she said. "Is it the leadership, is it the White House, is it contributors? Who is 'the power?'"

Remind you of anything?

Posted by Cassandra at June 26, 2009 08:23 AM

Comments

OMG thank you. I loved Sam. He made me laugh till I cried (a manly cry due to laughing so hard).

Posted by: KJ at June 26, 2009 11:05 AM

Who are the powers that be? Could they be related to the ones to whom Conyers's wife, Detroit City Council President Pro Tem Monica Conyers, pleaded guilty this morning to conspiracy to commit bribery? She faces up to five years in prison as soon as U.S. District Judge Avern Cohn sets a sentencing hearing.

BTW, I also laughed till I cried at the Kineson piece. May I never make my husband make that face!

Posted by: Texan99 at June 26, 2009 12:21 PM

I was just going to mention Monica Conyer's guilty plea! I think a lot of people might have missed that it happened, with the wall to wall Michael Jackson coverage and all that.

Which has seemingly also bumped off any coverage of the protesters in Iran, which probably has the mullahs jumping in glee at their sudden freedom to smash the populace without world leaders watching anymore.

Posted by: airforcewife at June 26, 2009 01:36 PM

When I saw that item about Conyers' wife and then Conyers not wanting to investigate due to the 'powers that be' I was thinking, what is this, an "Angel" episode?

Posted by: Eric Blair at June 26, 2009 01:49 PM

Me thinks that Johnny's Johnson is safely tucked away in Nancy's or maybe Michelle's LockBox.

Posted by: Boquisucio at June 26, 2009 04:04 PM

I didn't know that Sam had married my ex-wife.:)

Posted by: a former european at June 26, 2009 04:49 PM

I reeeemembah dat guy yelling at me about cigarettes! He smelled of 80 proof shoe polish und I thaught dat he was going to choot me.

Dat lockbachs ob which you speak... Kang and Kodos tell me dat et is in de Congressional freezer, location classified, right beside oil de uder Johnsoncicles.

Posted by: Apu Nahasapeemapetilon Ph.D. at June 26, 2009 09:22 PM

One of my favorite bits by Sam was a rant about drunk driving and MADD. For a flavor: "It is isn't like we want to slide into a bus of 50 school children. It's just that there's no other way to get our car back to our house. WHAT DO YOU EXPECT ME TO DO - TAKE A BUS!!"

Later, he died in a drunk driving accident. Sam was driving his new wife and sober. The other driver was not.

Irony or coincedence?