« Blogging | Main | When Adults Act Like Children »

June 09, 2009

Back Door Draft?

Unintentional similarity?

V_wallad.jpg

You tell me.

V_wallad2.jpg

Of course now that photos of returning coffins from Dover will be in the public domain, perhaps they could substitute a nice, tight shot of someone's dead son or daughter. It would be so much more relevant.

Edgy, too.

Posted by Cassandra at June 9, 2009 05:00 PM

Comments

Only a mean-spirited, narrow-minded elitist poopie-head would think that members of the media would use those pictures for their own single-eye-driven agenda to virtually *spit* on our military.

Posted by: DL Sly at June 9, 2009 05:56 PM

OMG, how absolutely TASTELESS. (And might I add, 'brainless'?)

Posted by: Nicki at June 9, 2009 05:57 PM

Posted by: Mommy! Can we go to the mall???? at June 9, 2009 06:12 PM

Perhaps I have lowered my standards one notch too low but things like this only sadden me. People who propagate blasphemy such as this will never understand what that wall signifies to the rest of us. Ergo, their opinion does not matter. If they gave it a second thought it would cheapen the endeavor.

Forgive them, they know not what they do. Pity them for a life less lived!

Posted by: vet66 at June 9, 2009 09:12 PM

In his novel "That Hideous Strength," C S Lewis describes a sinister cult which aims to kill "all specifically human responses" in its inductees. Much of present-day education, and a significant amount of present-day culture and advertising, seems to be (consciously or not) aimed at this goal.

See my post an incident at the movies.

Posted by: david foster at June 9, 2009 10:22 PM

Wise words, vet. And something I likely would have heard from my folks. However, sometime, somewhere, there has to be a point (something more than Khaddafi's infamous 'Line in the Sand') where decency for decency's sake is not too much to ask of a civilized society.

Posted by: DL Sly at June 9, 2009 10:24 PM

What DL Sly said Vet66...

I was on the verge of composing a rant about how people who could breeze over the significance and meaning attached to The Wall must not be capable of having a significant attachment to much of anything, save maybe money along with the here and now, but I decided against it.

I could not however, avoid having the phrase soul uncaring pop into my iddy biddy consciousness, from R. Kipling's Hymn Before Action as I thought of the darkness settling around us from not only the nOrks, Iran, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Israel, China, and our buddies in Russia, not to mention those huddling masses in Latin America, but also our own feckless, elected leadership and those who support them.

Yup, these may be the times that will once again try our souls.

Posted by: The-Manchurian-bubba_hun at June 9, 2009 11:45 PM

Ahhh....
It appears that we do indeed live in interesting times....

William sends.

Posted by: William at June 10, 2009 12:39 AM

Maybe it's just because I am used to dealing with children, but I wouldn't attribute this to malice. To me it appears that they are simply copying a powerful image in order to try to bolster themselves. Much as the child wears great grandma's necklace, and accidentally breaks it. I am admittedly nieve about such things, but I don't think that they honestly understand the concept of "sacred" or "hallowed". I have no doubt that they understand the dictionary definition, but to them it's just words. They don't relate. So they see the image. They can recognize that it's powerful. But I don' think that they really understand why. So they copy the powerful image and try to make it their own. In the process they marginalize the impact and power of the thing they copy. But if they are aware, they don't care enough to stop because to them, it is just an image. And one that they don't relate to. I don't like it, but I can find nothing but pity for them.

William sends.
I think that I just said what vet66 said above but with many more words and not as eloquently. G'nite.

Posted by: William at June 10, 2009 12:57 AM

For some people, honor is an alien concept.

'nough said...

Posted by: camojack at June 10, 2009 01:18 AM

“We honor the First Amendment, just like most newspapers do,” Farbstein told The Examiner before the mall said it would have the ads removed.

We just feel no particular obligation to honor those who gave their lives for it.

“It’s a freedom of speech issue.”

No, honeybunch, it's a friggin' *ad* for a Mall.

Posted by: BillT at June 10, 2009 02:12 AM

A freedom of speech issue that others died for. So do not show that type of disrespect. Ya wanna be edgy? How about advertising your crassness using graffiti in gang territory? That's free speech.

How.utterly.tasteless.

Cassie, glad to see you back and you should know your return has prevented the death and dismemberment of my accounting tome.

Posted by: Cricket at June 10, 2009 08:14 AM

You know, if this were in NYC or somewhere in California I could excuse it as being done without understanding the significance.

But this was in the DC Metro area, the home of the wall.

I'm surprised this is real and wasn't a part of Sacha Baron Cohen's Bruno movie.

Posted by: airforcewife at June 10, 2009 09:09 AM

Probably stupidity rather than malice. I'm not sure that they understand the meaning of either the word "honor" or the 1st, though, and demonstrate that lack of understanding by running the ad. It would be a First Amendment issue if the government was to tell them not to run the ad. (Maybe ... no, couldn't have happened.)

Good to see you posting, Cassandra.

Posted by: htom at June 10, 2009 10:29 AM

"Yes, well let's not forget that Tyson's is the same mall (God, I love DC) that decided that showing Victoria's Secret models in lesbian sex and bondage montages would "generate buzz".

Exactly. This wasn't ignorance or stupidity. It was deliberate, and while (maybe) not necessarily malicious in their intent to disparage The Wall and what it represents, it was a deliberate attempt to evoke an emotion -- to be edgy -- and, hey, if it causes a controversy, well then, they get the best kind of advertising: Free.
I am a little confused by the *slogan* though. "It's time to defrost"? WTF is that in reference to?

Posted by: DL Sly at June 10, 2009 11:36 AM

Maybe their brain is on ice...

Posted by: The-Manchurian-bubba_hun at June 10, 2009 11:41 AM

Same with The Wall reference. I can't come up with anything that isn't insulting to Vietnam vets and the stores they're advertising for at the exact same time.

Are the stores dead or something.

As for defrosting, there's got to be a zombie joke in there somewhere.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at June 10, 2009 01:41 PM