« Tapestry of Light | Main | OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!! »

July 21, 2009

"But Healing The Oceans Looked So *Easy* From The Campaign Trail!"

Governing is *hard*. Soooooo hard:

... officials say that, as much as the concept of indefinite detention is distasteful to the president and his legal advisers, there is simply no alternative for dealing with potentially dozens of detainees whom the administration doesn't want to release because they are thought to be too dangerous, but can't bring to trial for lack of evidence.

But one of the officials insisted the Obama task force will not ultimately endorse the sweeping claims of executive authority made by the Bush administration. The legal basis for detention will rely largely on the narrower 2001 congressional authorization to use military force against the perpetrators of 9/11.

Almost as hard as that whole diplomacy/soft power thingie:

FP's Laura Rozen had a must-read over the weekend that takes another look at Obama's meeting with the Saudi King. According to Rozen, a very plugged-in lefty, says "the meeting did not go well," and she quotes one source saying that "It was the first time that President Obama as a senator, candidate, or president was not able to get almost anything or any movement using his personal power of persuasion." Obama asked the Saudis to make concessions to match the concessions he had demanded from the Israelis. But the Saudi King balked -- and "launched a tirade" that his underlings later apologized for. The New York Times has also reported that Obama was "frustrated" by his trip to Saudi Arabia and that he "failed to extract any meaningful gestures toward Israel to revive the peace process."

oops.jpg

Personally, we suggest cooking spray.

Posted by Cassandra at July 21, 2009 08:21 AM

Comments

Some days all you can do is smile and wait for some kind soul to come pull your ass out of the bind you've gotten yourself into.

Someone's gonna have a long wait.

Meanwhile, I'll start the popcorn going...

Posted by: BillT at July 21, 2009 10:37 AM

The senior official...conspicuously, twice referred to the president's intentions to shut down the facility by January, 2010 as a "goal" rather than the firm commitment he announced his first week in office.

[Impeccable W.C. Fields impression]: Aaaaaah, yaaass. 'Nother round of "The President misspoke. What he *really* meant was..."

Posted by: BillT at July 21, 2009 10:46 AM

You mean Pbo, the Messiah, teh One actually *gasp* failed???

Oh my. This must be an alternate universe.

Reminds me of the question I posed to one of the peguin ladies when I was young and had full command of my hands (prior to the ruler incident):

If God can do ANYTHING, can he make a rock so big that even he can't lift it?

Pbo seems to have hit that point...

Posted by: kbob in Katy at July 21, 2009 11:15 AM

I will work to strive to overcome the unchanging, hopeless and awkward position I inherited from the preceding administration through tireless rhetoric and waiting on the inevitable effects of gravity and time.

Woof, woof!

Posted by: Hound Dog in Chief at July 21, 2009 11:29 AM

Welllll, since at least *one* committee has asked for an extension which will take it past the January, 2010 deadline, my guess is that Obie's re-election campaign slogan is gonna have to be, "The first thing I will do after I am re-elected is close Gitmo. And only those rich, self-serving Americans who still have a job will have to pay the cost of changing it from a dark stain on America's past into a green, eco-friendly, carbon-sucking environment which we will be proud to return to the Cuban people."

Posted by: BillT at July 21, 2009 12:01 PM

And on top of that, the Indians (the ones on the subcontinent of Asia) were not too compliant when Secretary of State Hillary! asked them to reduce their icky greenhouse emissions.

Reset, recharge. Whatever. Blame Bush. Lather, rinse and repeat.

Trouble in paradise, I guess.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at July 21, 2009 12:05 PM

I would take care of the goggie. Obama...eh.

Bill, whaddya want on yer popcorn? Butter? Salt?

I have finally put the Accounting Tome to rest.
It lies there, waiting to be called into service should I ever need the arcane wisdom within its leaves.

Salsa? Chips? I make a deliciously good salsa.

Posted by: Cricket at July 21, 2009 12:07 PM

Butter, salt, and a mushroom 'n' sausage pizza, please...

Posted by: BillT at July 21, 2009 01:31 PM

Meanwhile, we have another desperate "Fireside Chat" wannabe from the newly renamed "Hose" Garden where shuck and jive will be the name of the game. Notice Obama is getting nervous especially when he plaintively cries out "This is not about me!"

Unfortunately it is exactly about him. A free word of advice in the spirit of bi-partisanship, there is no such thing as the "Bling" dynasty in China's history if you choose to embarrass us there.

Posted by: vet66 at July 21, 2009 03:01 PM

It's *Hillary's* job to embarrass us in East Asia.

Obie's bailiwick is limited to the ME until he gains some additional experience in antagonizing our allies.

Please, Lord -- keep him away from Australia...

Posted by: BillT at July 21, 2009 03:36 PM

"It was the first time that President Obama as a senator, candidate, or president was not able to get almost anything or any movement using his personal power of persuasion." ... Obama was "frustrated" by his trip to Saudi Arabia

I think this sums up Obama perfectly. I wrote back in June:

Obama believes the world will arrange itself as he wants. ... I imagine that his combination of intelligence (however facile); symbolism; and charm (although it’s lost on me) have generally meant much of the world *has* arranged itself as he wants.

And I thought this was particularly true in relation to closing Guantanamo. After Byron York asked if anyone could possibly believe Obama was unaware of the real issues faced by Bush with regard to Guantanamo, I wrote:

I’m sure that Obama was aware of all the difficulties York lists and understood quite well that they made closing Guantanamo difficult - perhaps impossible - for the Bush Administration. However, I’m also sure that Obama believed those difficulties would not be problems for him: he was certain the Guantanamo situation would resolve itself as he wanted it to when he decreed that it would do so.

It must be frustrating indeed for Barack Obama to learn that being President does not after all consist of channeling Jean-Luc Picard ordering those around him to "make it so".

Posted by: Elise at July 21, 2009 03:46 PM

Re: Pizza

I would prefer a loaded one from Shakeys, but absent that a maxed out Giordano's would fill me (and a few others) as well.

That and some good root beer. If it's Shakeys, please drop an order of the Mojo Potatoes too.

I must say that Houston has been somewhat disappointing in Pizza, Tex-Mex and even BBQ. It's almost all chains and most lean to the mediocre.

Sorry to get OT, but it has been nearly a month since I had much more than food thru a tube or a needle. Slowly coming back to real food though.

KP

Posted by: kbob in Katy at July 21, 2009 04:07 PM

Kbob, in my other avatar, I am the Castle Chef.
Shakey's pizza? It has been a LOOONG time.

Root beer preference: We have Dad's, Barq's, A&W, Fanta (when I can chase down the truck. At one time it was seriously the best I had ever had. Then I discovered HTGoodness real birch beer made from real stuff and not the horrid wintergreen flavoring used now. *shudders*)and Mug.

Stewart's isn't bad and there are some artisinal root beers out there that are pretty decent and don't use HFCS (high fructose corn syrup).

Sausage and 'shroom pizza. Ya want the shrooms sauteed with a bit of garlic? Cheese sliced or shredded, and the crust needs to be wood-baked.

got it.

Posted by: Cricket at July 21, 2009 04:38 PM

Cynics!!!

The audacity of hope cannot be denied. My earlier bloviation about putting aside the old, tired arguments that have consumed us for far too long, let me just say that have anyone who doubts Me is just downright unAmerican.

I am the way and the life. Believe in me and thou shalt have everlasting deficits.

Posted by: Barack Obama at July 21, 2009 05:31 PM

"I am the way and the life"
May you find your way to the light oh self-exalted and deluded IWONness...

Posted by: Reddy Kilowatt at July 21, 2009 05:55 PM

Still OT - got a craving!

as evident - Root Beer Reviews!

But I do have 5 more cans of Vernors to get me by.

:^)

Posted by: kbob in Katy at July 21, 2009 07:00 PM

Heresy, I say! A friend of mine sent me this - first time I had seen it, but not a bad idea:
*************************************************
Washington, DC -- July 20, 2009

Congress today announced that the office of President of the United States of America will be outsourced to India as of September 1, 2009.

The move is being made in order to save the President's $500,000 yearly salary, and also a record $750 billion in deficit expenditures and related overhead that his office has incurred during the last 3 months.

It is anticipated that $7 trillion can be saved to the end of the President's term. "We believe this is a wise financial move. The cost savings are huge," stated Congressman Thomas Reynolds (R-TX). "We cannot remain competitive on the world stage with the current level of cash outlay," Reynolds noted.

Obama was informed by email this morning of his termination. Preparations for the job move have been underway for some time.

Gurvinder Singh, a tele-technician for Indus Teleservices, Mumbai, India, will assume the office of President as of September 1, 2009. Mr. Singh was born in the United States while his Indian parents were vacationing at Niagara Falls, NY. Thus making him eligible for the position. He will receive a salary of $320 (USD) a month, but no health coverage or other benefits.

It is believed that Mr. Singh will be able to handle his job responsibilities without a support staff. Due to the time difference between the US and India, he will be working primarily at night. "Working nights will allow me to keep my day job at the Dell Computer call center," stated Mr. Singh in an exclusive interview.

"I am excited about this position. I always hoped I would be President." A Congressional spokesperson noted that while Mr. Singh may not be fully aware of all the issues involved in the office of President, this should not be a problem as Obama had never been familiar with the issues either.

Mr. Singh will rely upon a script tree that will enable him to respond effectively to most topics of concern. Using these canned responses, he can address common concerns without having to understand the underlying issue at all. "We know these scripting tools work," stated the spokesperson.

"Obama has used them successfully for years, with the result that some people actually thought he knew what he was talking about."

Obama will receive health coverage, expenses, and salary until his final day of employment. Following a two-week waiting period, he will be eligible for $140 a week unemployment for 26 weeks. Unfortunately he will not be eligible for Medicaid, as his unemployment benefits will exceed the allowed limit.

Obama has been provided with the outplacement services of Manpower, Inc. to help him write a resume and prepare for his upcoming job transition. According to Manpower, Obama may have difficulties in securing a new position due to a lack of any successful work experience during his lifetime.

A greeter position at WalMart was suggested due to Obama's extensive experience at shaking hands, as well as his special smile.
*************************************************

Posted by: kbob in Katy at July 21, 2009 08:36 PM

I must say that I am so proud of Gurvinder, or Gary, which is the American name he uses when reading telephone troubleshooting flow charts, aka script trees, to his customers.

I am sure that with the support of TotUS and the outstanding Cabinet and staff Gurvinder will assemble, no one will even notice the absence of the former Keny... ah, American who held the position.

Most outstanding!

Free Duff Lager Slurpies and a box of Kleenex to the next 100 American customers whose jobs have been cratered or off-shored since POTUS 44 took office!

Posted by: Apu Nahasapeemapetilon Ph.D. at July 21, 2009 09:55 PM

Been there, done that. When I was 9 or 10 years old, I and my best friend climbed down into to basement foundation that had been poured for a building that was going to be moved onto it. Water had accumulated in it and we were catching tadpoles (for whatever reason kids do that sort of thing). Eventually my friend climbed out but I was unable to figure out how to get out. My friend (who is still my friend 50 years later) left me to fend for myself. Fortunately, an elderly gentleman came along and pulled me out. That photo brought it all back. I think I'll yell at my old friend now by Instant Messenger (he's in Oregon, I'm in Missouri) and give him hell.

Posted by: Suds46 at July 22, 2009 12:32 AM

Have you tried Goode Company BBQ on Kirby near 59, not too terribly far from Rice University? I haven't been there in years but I always loved their sausage and brisket and - of course - a Lone Star Longneck.

I was never big on pizza when I lived there but I loved Monterey House Mexican. They were the McDonald's of Mexican food - it seemed like there were a million of them in Houston - but the food tasted all tasted great and they were super-cheap. I suspect the chain is completely gone now - I don't remember seeing any the last time I was in town.

Posted by: Elise at July 22, 2009 01:54 AM

Querida Elise,

Thanks for the suggestions. Goode's is adequate; it is/has become a typical chain (as have the "Pappa____'s) with a certain adequate sameness. Nothing great, but good enough. I will keep looking for "the place." When I was working at Comanche Peak (nuclear plant) near Glen Rose, we used to eat at Hammonds or The Galvanized Palace. Both were non-chain places and were sooooooooooooooooooooooo good.

As for Tex Mex - I have hit a few that I recalled from my youth and our visits to Ellington Field. Ninfa's used to be great, but they have slipped. Not many that can compare to the home made goodness of "la tia vieja de mi novia" style of cooking that one finds at Joe T. Garcia's in Fort Worth.

But it's all better than an MRE!!!!

Con una sonrisa,

Su Corespondente, KP

Posted by: kbob in Katy at July 22, 2009 09:21 AM

Ah, Ninfa's. In the beginning there was Ninfa's on Navigation and it was great. Then there were Ninfa's all over the place and they were good. And then they weren't. And then - as I heard it - Ninfa sold all the baby Ninfa's and kept only Ninfa's on Navigation. And the last time I ate there - which was several years ago - it wasn't all that great anymore either. Sigh.

And as long as I'm wandering down Memory of Food Lane, the Red Lion. It was too pricey for me to eat there often but I loved that place. It's the only restaurant where I've actually seen someone thrown out on his ear - and in the classiest way possible. Long gone, I'm told.

It's kind of nice that "smile" in Spanish looks like "sunrise". Although odd that "sunrise" in Spanish looks like "salad of sole".

Posted by: Elise at July 23, 2009 12:04 AM

I suppose if dining out is to be done, Babin's is as good as any. Not zackly what I crave, but....it's the Brides' birthday, and so she has the call.

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at July 23, 2009 10:03 AM