« | Main | Decency »

July 17, 2009

Extreme Pathos Alert

Ay me! for aught that I could ever read,
Could ever hear by tale or history,
The course of true love never did run smooth;

- A Midsummer Night's Dream

Conclusive proof that women are nothing but trouble. Born homewreckers, every last one of them:

Silo and Roy, two male chinstrap penguins (search) native to the South Atlantic, made local headlines six years ago when they came out with their same-sex relationship.

Since then, the pair have successfully hatched and raised an adopted chick — after trying to incubate a rock — and become role models for six other same-sex couples among penguins at the zoo.

Of course you realize this was too good to last:

That all ended when Scrappy, a single female newly arrived from SeaWorld in San Diego, caught Silo's eye.

"Silo and Roy stopped spending as much time together or building a nest," said John Rowden, curator of animals at the zoo.

Silo promptly moved in with Scrappy, building a new nest with her. Zookeepers were at a loss to explain Silo's sudden conversion.

"Why does anyone bond? Why do people want to get married and divorced?" said Dr. Dee Boersma (search), penguin expert at the University of Washington in Seattle. "Presumably, they've got their reasons."

Silo and his hot-feathered home-wrecker have yet to produce an egg, but they've been busy trying.

On Thursday, Roy, all alone, sat disconsolately at the edge of the penguin area, staring at the wall.

Can you blame him? Reading the news these days, we often find ourselves feeling exactly the same way.

Posted by Cassandra at July 17, 2009 08:21 AM

Comments

UPDATE:

Grieve not for Roy, he has just signed a contract to blog for The Peguin-Atlantic. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

Posted by: bthun at July 17, 2009 11:53 AM

Pity more poor Silo who has made the first moves toward a life of responsibility and morality.....

I wish to announce a return from the edge of the precipice - looking into the abyss and trying very hard to maintain the strength to fight the good fight. I owe a lot to a few good doctors and a lot of great nurses. Death was certainly the easier option, but there is much to do, even as I am only one person trying to make a difference.

I will not submit. I will not surrender. As Orwell said "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."

We must be clarions; we must stand for something or fall for anything. This is my line in the sand.

KP

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at July 17, 2009 01:00 PM

Roy: "What has Scrappy got that I don't have?" he plaintively cries to Silo?

Then Roy remembers..."Oh Yeah...and those too!"

Posted by: vet66 at July 17, 2009 04:02 PM

I'd normally give Roy a pass on this one, seeing how nobody can tell one peguin from the other, seeing as their all dressed in tuxes like, um, penguins.

But I simply can't believe that Roy fell for the old "let's incubate a rock" dodge. Hello? Roy? I've 20 MILLION UNITED STATES DOLLERS waiting for you in my Nigerian bank account.

Scrappy seems fairly bright, though and will undoubtably make certain that Roy is happily warming the family mineral while she's out with her grlz slipping twentys to the Chippendales.

And by the way, Silo, there's no future in a broken heart.

Posted by: spd rdr at July 17, 2009 05:39 PM

I zink I'm going to trade in my monkey for a penguin.

Posted by: Dieter at July 17, 2009 05:57 PM

OFF TOPIC BREAKING NEWS: http://www.wired.com/dangerroom/2009/07/company-denies-its-robots-feed-on-the-dead

Posted by: sean at July 18, 2009 10:05 AM

I zink I'm going to trade in my monkey for a penguin.

Ahhhh, yes -- the old chestnut about the co-ed and the bicycle...

Posted by: BillT at July 18, 2009 12:10 PM

Yeah man! I love the Internest!

Talk about your average serendipity being like so, um, unexpected and all. I read read Sean's comment about robots feeding on the dead, and the first thing that came to mind was the movie "Shawn of the Dead," which I didn't see but understand to have even more zombies than Michael Jackson's Thriller video (which, the littlest rdr was never aware of until Mr. Jackson's recent demise and the ensuing 24/7 loop of the video on CNN/VHI/BBC and Al Jazeera. He's twelve, and thought that dancing zombies were "really cool." Who am I to judge? After listening as a young teen in my basement to the likes of Black Sabbath, Blue Oyster Cult, Alice Cooper, James Taylor and,

(I'm sorry. But those particular brain cells are no longer in working order. Please try your recall again later. Thank you.

Where was I? Oh yeah, besides, littlest rdr right: Dancing brain eating zombies ARE really cool. But there's never been anything cooler than the Ramones, except of course, Louis Armstrong, and that's a know fact. Louis painted with a delectible musical pallet, personal and unfetterd, the orgininality of which rivals that of Mozart changing the known scales forever. Louis didn't try to challenge or overwhelm his audience with his technical ability, although it was plainly prodigious. Louis played to delight the listener. Simple, straight forward, heartfelt, and as perfect as a perfomance could be in the day of one live take for each record.

Back in the day Louis could crank out ten to twelve shows a week with his Hot Sevens and his Hot Fives and rock the damned road house down, sleeping between shows in the back of a car because black folks couldn't get a room in town. He hung tough though, and worked and worked and worked in music, and in the end brought an honesty and light and joy to music which leaves me breathless, and is perhaps the best example of that unique being we call the American self.

With all due respect, Louis Armstrong could have never existed in Belgium.

Just so you know that I'm not alone in my appreciating what Louis meant to our lasting culter, "Flea," the bassist for The Red Hot Chili Peppers referred to Louis Armstrong as perhaps the greatest American muscian that ever lived (although I'm confident that Mr. Armstrong would not condone Mr. Flea's appearance on stage sans jacket and tie, or, for that matter any other shred of clothing, I'm pretty sure that Mr. Armstrong would appreciate the pretty good licks Mr. Flea pounds down while playing for, what I consider, to be a rather remarkable and innovative band).

Moreover, the fact that Joey Ramone decided to cover Louis' "Wonderful World" on the last record he cut before assuning his own place in the raucous wing of the celestial choir, provides further evidence of Luois' muscial coolness.

Sure, "Wonderful World" was not a heavy hitter when compared to the raw unadulterated beauty of "West End Blues." It was a pure pop piece, sentimental in nature (after 60 years, Louis couldn't play the horn anymore, and just stood in for the vocals). Yeah, I know that the song can cause cringes when ever your father, grandfather, uncle, or (shudder) husband singing "My Way" in public to the accompaniment of a karaoke machine, but it really works for Louis. It was a nice ride, like having your old Uncle tell you a story about his living life while sipping on your daddy's scotch between pulls on a Winston.

That's the upbeat view Louis took to the world, and he made us smile in the process.

Um....bear with me here, I'm getting someplace with this.

Your Honor, my I redirect?

Zombies. That's it!

What hell do zombies have to do with anything?

Posted by: spd rdr at July 18, 2009 01:33 PM

Rob Zombie did something with music a while back.

Posted by: BillT at July 18, 2009 02:24 PM

I think he hurt it, though.

Posted by: BillT at July 18, 2009 02:26 PM

I am suing.

Posted by: Roy, who contacted his lawyer at July 18, 2009 02:52 PM

Now, now -- I'm sure Mr. Zombie didn't mean to hurt the nice music.

Posted by: BillT at July 18, 2009 02:56 PM

Kbob -

I'm glad you're back from the precipice. Just remember that our Founding Fathers did all of this, but did it without paved roads, without internal combustion engine-powered locomotion, and without air conditioning.

Posted by: MathMom at July 18, 2009 03:32 PM

Kbob, hang in there. We need every good person we can get.

Even though it may not seem so sometimes, the world is still a wonderful place.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 18, 2009 04:00 PM

The only advice that I ever accepted was that given me by my father when I was about ten years old. "Always run out your ground balls," he said, "and you just might beat out the throw."

Welcome to first base, Kbob. Second's open.

Posted by: spd rdr at July 18, 2009 04:42 PM

Kbob, welcome aboard. Spd, who is on third?

Posted by: Cricket at July 18, 2009 05:31 PM

Idon'tknow is on third, Cricket.
Who is on first.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at July 18, 2009 06:13 PM

Father Tarent used to say that hope is on first, trust is on second, and forgiveness on third, but only faith will cover the run to home.

I can't believe that I remember these things.

Posted by: spd rdr at July 18, 2009 06:47 PM

Come to think of it, I now remember exactly why I I still love baseball.

And how about that.

Posted by: spd rdr at July 18, 2009 07:08 PM

Bless you for that tribute to the Satchmo spd! He was a favorite with the senior Hun, so much so that pop bought me sunglasses and a trumpet when I was but 7 years old. I learned to sing his tunes -did ya know that if you can imitate the Satch, you've got a good start on doing a reasonable Sean Connery- with a smile on my face and a handkerchief and trumpet in hand. Never did amount to any kind of trumpet player but for a while I did a pretty good impression of Satch, all things considered. Ahh the days...

Kbob, I sent you email last night bud! You'd better back away from the abyss and reply before I have my nephew drive over from his hacienda in Katy to check up on you.

Posted by: bthun at July 18, 2009 08:06 PM

Ahhhhh, music sweet music. And friends - real as you all are thru the bits and bytes, I would be lost and gone without you.

I remember sitting in that theater at NTC San Diego watching that UDT/SEAL presentation and saying "I can do that!" I had some good life coaches and role models, and I always tried to outhustle that drag bunt....but they were more than I could do. No regrets though. Never would have met the folks I did (BT et. al.)

Staring over the edge is no worse than looking out the open door of a slick wondering if its your time. And all the time, I had two tunes running in my head....

and

My bride and daughter kept asking me who people were when I was lucid and coherent. Was I that close, or was I just reliving those moments where good friends were taken? Maybe it was the drugs? Dilaudid is some wonderful stuff. Sure takes the pain away - even at 0.25mg IV.

Thanks for caring and listening. All of you are the best. My goal is to never surrender and never back down. I was pushed, but did not capitulate. I cannot. I will not. My dad was not the bomber pilot version of "The Great Santini" to see me fail miserably at something so mundane as life. He'd beat my ass if we ever met again...

Thanks people. I sincerely mean it.

KP

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at July 18, 2009 09:20 PM

And YAY!!!! Its raining in KATY!!! Its not 100 degrees!!!

:^D

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at July 18, 2009 09:23 PM

I've got 12,466 songs on I-Tunes, Kbob. And I'm only just getting warmed up.

Kiss your bride and daughter, bub, and then let me know if I can't send you a tune or two between baseball games.

Posted by: spd rdr at July 18, 2009 09:47 PM

I like Father Tarent's wisdom. Kbob, you will do this one day at a time. We're here for ya and if necessary, there are prayers here at the Villa Chapel. All you have to do is ask.

I would not have made it if some excellent people hadn't prayed for us. But that is another story for another time.

I am off to drive the finishing nail in the Accounting Tome's coffin. A paper. An eight page paper on the differences in accounting practices for corporations and partnerships. Naturally, I have not had business law, yet, so this paper makes total sense.

Your bride and daughter are in our thoughts this week.

*goes off grumping*

Posted by: Cricket at July 18, 2009 10:42 PM

Cricket,

Grump not. Celebrate life and make a difference. Life is an amazing adventure, with highs and lows. I have no doubt that your paper will be one to be proud of.

As you say, it's all about the help we receive to get us thru it all. Kind of like the song says:"...And in the end the love you take is equal to the love you make."

I am humbled by all of your thoughts and prayers.

KP

PS - Daughter is taking new position in NYC next week. No more not-for-profit low pay work for love in Chicago; back to business in the corporate world of marketing!!!

Posted by: Kbob in Katy at July 19, 2009 09:52 AM

Kbob, I'm behind the curve (as usual) but I'm glad you're on the road to recovery. When I was very ill for a very long time years ago I found a card with a picture of a flower growing out of concrete. A cliche, perhaps, but I loved the verbiage: Just when all hope is gone, life comes back. I'm glad you're back.

bt, I loved the Penguin-Atlantic. As for NTTAWWT, I kind of disagree. I imagine you're thinking of He Whose Name Should Never Cross Any Decent Person's Lips but I look not just at him but also at some of the other bloggers over there - like Coates and Clarke - and ask myself, "How the heck did Megan McArdle get a job there? And why did she want to?"

As for Silo, well, he's just another Sandra Loh, isn't he, unable - or, perhaps more accurately, unwilling - "to replace the romantic memory of [his] fellow transgressor with the more suitable image of [his] husband." Apparently even immigrants can be swept up in the American culture of divorce. I wonder if he's religious?

Posted by: Elise at July 19, 2009 12:13 PM