« Childhood Dreams | Main | »

July 15, 2009

Things That Just Chap This Marine Wife's Ass

Greyhawk sets the record straight on that Bozo who refused to deploy:

Returning now to the news of Cook's "victory", here's the reported explanation for the Army's decision:
Earlier today, Quon said Cook submitted a formal written request to Human Resources Command-St. Louis on May 8, 2009 volunteering to serve one year in Afghanistan with Special Operations Command, U.S. Army Central Command, beginning July 15, 2009. The soldier's orders were issued on June 9, Quon said.

"A reserve soldier who volunteers for an active duty tour may ask for a revocation of orders up until the day he is scheduled to report for active duty," Quon said.

In short - Cook never had to go in the first place. Unlike most soldiers who deploy as part of a unit, Cook - a reservist - had volunteered to go as an individual augmentee. The Army generally seeks volunteers to fill such assignments first - if no one does so then a non-volunteer is tapped.

I'll bet that "non-volunteer"'s family will just be overjoyed to get rush orders to fill a gapped position vacated by this oxygen thief. Somewhere, a village is desperately searching for its idiot.

Posted by Cassandra at July 15, 2009 02:20 PM

Comments

"Things That Just Chap This Marine Wife's Ass"

Yanno....they make stuff for that....
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at July 15, 2009 02:45 PM

Which is *not* the same thing as saying his request will be honored or even considered.

I was on a "By-Name" Presidential callup for deployment to Bosnia in 2001, but my Guard chain considered me a *volunteer* -- and ignored my requests for additional information concerning my upcoming deployment, except to inform me that, since I had "volunteered" for the mission, I would not be eligible to resume my employment upon my return.

Which, of course, violated Federal law.

Which, when I brought that to a certain Colonel's attention, generated a response of "So, sue us when you get back."

Heh...

Posted by: BillT at July 15, 2009 02:58 PM

Yanno....they make stuff for that....

Someone is cruising for extra liquid nitrogen in the icy-cold white-chocolate butter-cream icing, isn't one?

Posted by: BillT at July 15, 2009 03:10 PM

Oooo, I'm getting nitrous? That ought to go well with vicodin.

Posted by: DL Sly at July 15, 2009 03:27 PM

Yeah, it give a whole new meaning to the admonition, "Chill out"...

Posted by: BillT at July 15, 2009 03:43 PM

You have Vicodin??? Dammit - SHARE! I'm kidding...kind of.

Can my husband take Cook's place? He's still working on getting the green light to go.

Posted by: Sly's Wardrobe Mistress at July 15, 2009 03:52 PM

Cool.

Posted by: DL Sly at July 15, 2009 03:53 PM

It gets worse:

So this wasn't a case of someone who volunteered under Bush and "whoops I'm afraid I'll be prosecuted for a war crime because the pres isn't".

He volunteered knowing full well who his deploying C-in-C would be. This is a purposeful and intentional set-up. It's theater.

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at July 15, 2009 05:31 PM

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at July 15, 2009 05:32 PM

Yes, he is definitely a Blue Falcon. And a maggot.

Posted by: Gimpy at July 15, 2009 05:54 PM

Not a Blue Falcon; but did this on purpose. And lost his civilian job in a private sector because the Feds did not like the reason he did it for.

Posted by: olga at July 15, 2009 08:02 PM

So I take it everyone here is perfectly comfortable with no documentation for Obama's birth location or college performance. At first I blew it off, but just recently starting poking into what is known. Well, it ain't much.

Posted by: Jack Okie at July 15, 2009 09:35 PM

So the Slander machine begins...

long, short - check out Free Republic, they've got the goods on this better than y'all...

Posted by: Jacksonian Grouch at July 15, 2009 11:19 PM

Thank you, Jack and Jacksonian (& BillT, for the info & clarification)!!

It is disappointing how so many in the "conservative" Blogosphere and commentary arena (such as Horowitz, etc...), are attacking people raising legitimate questions ~ even calling them "Birthers"!!

This is a very-legitimate line of inquiry... Not a "conspiracy theory."

And for the supposedly pro-soldier people, and the supposedly anti-war people ~ Why aren't you supporting this brave serviceman?

Posted by: Aakash at July 16, 2009 12:14 AM

He needs to be slapped. Hard. I don't like Obama either, and while I am *not* a Birther per se, I would love to know what Obama and the Dashing Senator from MA are hiding.

Takes me back to the time a 2nd Looey's (What do you call 144 2LTs? Gross Ignorance)wife absolutely insisted that her husband return home to celebrate their first wedding anniversary...and the Engineer was tapped to go in his place on our 10th. I just told him to drop his gear inside the door when he got back and he would have fresh clothes to change into from his field decontam procedures...you know, tick inspections, shower, etc.

I figured if he made it through his career alive, we would have his retirement to make up for lost time. I wasn't going to worry about some selfish brat when there were more important things to consider.

My take is that his presence, considering his *feelings* would be no loss and his replacement will be smarter, more capable and do a better job.
That unit might actually be better off.

But then, I am an opinionated toad...

Posted by: Cricket at July 16, 2009 12:43 AM

Ehren Watada comes to mind as the Supreme Whiner who questioned Bush's authority and reneged on his word and broke his oath.

A retired friend of ours (a Zoomie MSGT) and I were having a grand snark about 'Waterboarding for Obama.' We thought it would make a great bumper sticker.

Posted by: Cricket at July 16, 2009 12:46 AM

This case and other similar cases are the sole responsibility of Barrack Hussein Sorento (a.k.a. Barrack Hussein Obama) and his handlers. The root cause of these cases is the refusal of Barrack to be completely honest and transparent as he promised during his campaign. The time, effort, and expenses expended by Barrack and his inner circle to avoid disclosure of the actual birth certificate are the most incriminating evidence to date.

Using the logic of Barrack and his defenders anyone in the world could become the POTUS. All they need is a state to issues a certificate that says they were born and are therefore qualified to be the POTUS. Supplying an actual official birth certificate is just a nuisance factor to be ignored.

Posted by: JohnFLob at July 16, 2009 12:56 AM

I would love to know what Obama and the Dashing Senator from MA are hiding.

*grinnnn*

Right now, there is more solid evidence for the existence of yetis in Tibet than there is for the existence of an Obie "Born-in-the-USA" birth certificate in Honolulu.

Posted by: BillT at July 16, 2009 01:43 AM

Oooh, Bill, by that logic if there is no birth cert then he doesn't exist, rriiiight? At least, not according to Big Government.

But then that would mean Joe Biden, Hillary and PLOsi would be locked in a death struggle for the office of the POTUS.

Maybe they will kill each other off.

I can dream, can't I?

Posted by: Cricket at July 16, 2009 02:09 AM

Well, the Certificate of Live Birth proves he was, indeed, born -- just doesn't prove *where*. The whole giggle about the DNC producing his CoLB and touting it as proof of his citizenship, is that his citizenship isn't really the issue -- the issue is whether or not he was born in the US.

The purpose of a CoLB is to provide proof of US citizenship of children born to US citizens while they were somewhere *other* than the US.

Like, say, f'r instance, Kenya...

Posted by: BillT at July 16, 2009 06:25 AM

As YAG pointed out, this asshat "volunteered" knowing full well who his CinC would be.

Using the birth certificate controversy to pull a despicable stunt like this makes him (in this Marine officer's wife's eyes) unworthy of his commission.

He might have had a thought for the effect of his actions. This isn't a bold and principled stand. He's just a self-serving joker.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 16, 2009 06:57 AM

Ummmmm -- amend that to read "...somewhere *other* than the US or OCONUS US territory."

Posted by: BillT at July 16, 2009 06:59 AM

Not a Blue Falcon; but did this on purpose.

Olga! I'm shocked -- shocked, I say! -- that you know the meaning of Blue Falcon.

Posted by: BillT at July 16, 2009 07:02 AM

I'm shocked at the fact that Cass used the word 'asshat'...

Posted by: Sly's Wardrobe Mistress at July 16, 2009 08:04 AM

Well why wouldn't she? Asshat is a perfectly acceptable noun describing the object that is worn by a butthead. It makes perfect sense.

Posted by: MikeD at July 16, 2009 08:50 AM

"It means you've been spending entirely too much time reading *Dusty's* posts instead of mine... "

Guess you need to post more... :-)

Posted by: Pogue at July 16, 2009 11:27 AM

Not enough TINS! in the archives?

Insufficient nail-biting, edge o' the chair suspense?

A dearth of dramatic denouement ("Oh, geez, I wonder if Bill's gonna get killed in this one...")?

Sheesh.

Posted by: BillT at July 16, 2009 12:09 PM

This is a follow up to my last post the Exhaustion of the Obvious.

Can you pass a U.S. Civics Test? Most Americans who took the test failed I got a C.

Posted by: Ree at July 16, 2009 12:35 PM

I know what a Blue Falcon is too, aside from a cartoon character. Which proves yet again, why cartoons are for adults.

I *know* that about the CoLB; I was just hoping that *if* it didn't exist, it meant that somehow, Obama was a nightmare that I would soon wake up from.

Thanks a whole lot. I have pulled an A in my Priniciples of Accounting Class. I eagerly await textbook slaughter in my next Required Subject: The Dependence of Man on the Environment. I took one look at the professor and his bio for the scheduled time, and shot off an email to my counselor telling her to reschedule. I don't feel like being lectured to by someone born overseas who is a liberal and will try to make me a Believer in Algore. Ain't.gonna.happen.

Posted by: Cricket at July 16, 2009 12:46 PM

"Not enough TINS! in the archives?"

The archives are great, but the statute of limitations must have expired on some of the more recent stuff by now.

Posted by: Pogue at July 16, 2009 01:00 PM

I am taking a short break from the nail-biting "I know Bill did not get killed this time because I am reading his TINS!" stuff :o)

Posted by: olga at July 16, 2009 01:12 PM

The backstory on this - the guy deliberately volunteering *after* Obama was inaugurated - reminds me of that long-ago discussion here on jury nullification. IIRC, some guy got himself on a Federal drug case jury knowing that he opposed Federal involvement in drug cases then refused to convict, arguing for jury nullification.

Although I support the concept of jury nullification, I thought it was simply wrong of that juror to play games with something as fundamental as our jury system to score political points. I think it's equally wrong for Cook to play games with something as fundamental as military service to score political points. Probably even more wrong since - as Cassandra points out - someone else is going to have to go in his stead on short notice.

Cook should be down on his knees every night praying that the guy who's going in his place makes it back safe and sound.

Posted by: Elise at July 16, 2009 01:32 PM

...the statute of limitations must have expired on some of the more recent stuff by now.

I'll have to recheck some of the dates in my logbook. Shouldn't be hard -- I stopped making entries once I passed the 5,000 hour marker...

Posted by: BillT at July 16, 2009 01:34 PM

I think I'm with BillT. I'm not convinced BHO is eligible to serve as POTUS. Show me a birth certificate that says where he was born, when, weight, length, mother & father, all that good stuff, and I could put my doubts to rest. The fact that they won't produce it, that we have his Kenyan grandmother stating, "yes, he was born in Kenya, I was in the room", and the whole issue of his schooling in Indonesia - where, at the time, apparently, you could only attend if you claimed no other citizenship than Indonesian... Having doubts about whether or not this president is legitimate doesn't make one a nutcase. I'd much rather have that idiot Biden in the Oval Office than someone who should even be there in the first place...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at July 16, 2009 02:02 PM

A couple easy questions to determine the "natural-born citizen" issue.

1) Was @ least one of his parents a US citizen at the time of his birth? Yes.

2) Has he at any point renounced his US citizenship?

There are a lot of things to go after Obama in regards to whether he's fit to hold the office, his policies, etc... But this issue isn't one of them. For those that think this is a legitimate line of attack use the evidently few brain cells that you have left to actually learn the law. It's not that hard to find the case law and statutes that govern this issue.

Posted by: CS at July 16, 2009 04:45 PM

I stopped making entries once I passed the 5,000 hour marker...

So does that mean we're supposed to call you "Master"??

Posted by: Sly's Wardrobe Mistress at July 16, 2009 04:49 PM

1) Was @ least one of his parents a US citizen at the time of his birth? Yes.

Nope. Under US law as it existed when Obama was born, if he was born outside the United States he would not be considered a natural-born citizen because his mother had not spent at least five years in the United States after her 14th birthday - she was only 18. I've got the citations here if you're interested.

I don't think there's anything to the birth certificate issue but it is NOT the case that just because Obama's mother was a US citizen he is considered natural-born no matter where he was born.

Posted by: Elise at July 16, 2009 05:13 PM

"2) Has he at any point renounced his US citizenship?

You KNOW this as an absolute fact? Prove it.

Posted by: DL Sly at July 16, 2009 05:43 PM

1) Was @ least one of his parents a US citizen at the time of his birth? Yes. -> This means he's a natural born citizen, though he may have dual citizenship with wherever he was born.

2) Has he at any point renounced his US citizenship?

I got to go with CS on this one. As long as Obama’s mother is a US citizen (and I have never heard a claim to the contrary), then he is a "natural-born" citizen. There are only two classes of citizens: "natural-born citizen" & "naturalized" citizens. There is much wrong and very little right with Obama, but this is not the stick to beat him with.

The citizenship issue is something I have had to deal with. I am a US Citizen, my ex-wife is Scottish and our youngest son was born in Scotland. While my ex-wife is now a naturalized US citizen, she was not a US citizen at the time of my youngest son’s birth. My son has a birth certificate from the local Scottish authorities and from the US Consulate in Edinburgh. He has a US passport and unlike his mother, did not have to go through the naturalization process to get his US passport. My son is a “natural-born” citizen and eligible to be POTUS, but his mother, who is a “naturalized” US citizen is not eligible to be POTUS.

Just to make things even more confusing, my older son was born in the US and has a birth certificate from a county in Florida and a birth certificate issued by the British Consulate in Atlanta. Both of my sons and my ex-wife, now that she is a naturalized US citizen, legally hold US Passports. However, both of my sons and my ex-wife can legally hold UK passports, as well(whether they can hold both country’s passports at the same time, is another question altogether – I told you this was confusing). Neither my sons nor my ex-wife is a dual-citizen. Neither the US nor the UK recognize dual-citizenship and neither country necessarily recognize going through naturalization or obtaining another country’s passport as de facto renunciation of citizenship. However, this stuff gets a bit hazy. The US law, if I remember correctly when I was inquiring into this subject, states something like obtaining another country’s passport may be seen as an act of renouncing one’s US citizenship.

Posted by: LH at July 16, 2009 05:49 PM

LH,
Please, look at the citation link provided by Elise.
When a child is born abroad and one parent is USC, that parent has to show that she/he was physically present in the US at least five years after her/his 14th birthday.
I am sure when you went to the US Embassy to register the child birth abroad, you had to fill out the forms and among many questions you had to answer, there were ones about your physical presence and such. Most USC do not go abroad for a long period of time before they turn 19 so the answer is always "yes" and therefore, that question did not stick in your memory.
When you second son was born, his mother went and reported the birth of the child abroad at the Scottish Embassy/Consulate and she had to fill out the forms, that's why he is eligible to be a UK citizen.
If a USC parent does not report the child birth abroad to the US Embassy within a specified period of time, that parent would have to go through some paperwork with the CIS to get a Naturalization Certificate for the child, this certificate would state a diffent basis for issuance than your ex-wife's.

Posted by: olga at July 16, 2009 07:27 PM

ugh, it should read "different"

Posted by: olga at July 16, 2009 07:29 PM

I'm sorry but anyone that thinks there are questions about Obama's birth has an IQ of less than 100. This info isn't that hard to find.

Exhibit A)

"State officials say there’s no doubt Barack Obama was born in Hawaii."

"Health Department Director Dr. Chiyome Fukino says she and the registrar of vital statistics, Alvin Onaka, have personally verified that the health department holds Obama’s original birth certificate."

Exhibit B)

"No, you can't obtain a "certificate of live birth" anymore.

I try to avoid hit and run comments on blogs I don't frequent, but this birther nonsense is getting out of hand.

Posted by: Dero at July 16, 2009 09:29 PM

Oh puhleese. There are probably different rules governing births of couples who each hold citizenship in a different country than their spouse. I was a US citizen and had my son in Germany. West Germany, as a matter of fact. Because my husband *was* already a US citizen, I had to declare our son's. His citizenship went with me, so we did not have residency issues excep the DC birth cert, the German birth cert and the US passport which was obtained using the appropriate documents; my state birth certificate, my husband's birth cert and my passport number.

Since you had each child 'overseas', one for you one for your spouse, the child's citizenship 'usually' goes with the mother. In some cases, when the mother is NOT a US citizen, the children are allowed dual citizenship. My roommate's parents were naturalized citizens of the US, but she was born before they were naturalized, so she held dual citizenship until she was 21.

At that point she had to declare her allegiance to either Denmark or the US. She chose the US. In the military, when soldiers marry women of the countries they serve in, the citizenship goes with the mother. I believe that is part of the SOFA we have with the countries where we have bases and contractors. I think the same rules apply for ex-pats if they are both US citizens or if one is married to a native.

Olga is correct. I had to document my time in the US from the age of 14 until our marriage and the birth of our son.

Posted by: Cricket at July 16, 2009 11:21 PM

Personally verifying the department holds the original birth certificate isn't the same as verifying the information on it. They might have a copy of it because he would have needed it to get a driver's license.

Posted by: Cricket at July 16, 2009 11:24 PM

I'm sorry but anyone that thinks there are *aren't* questions about Obama's birth is ignorant of the arguements.

This info isn't that hard to find.

Neither in info contradicting that info -- in particular, a witness statement from his paternal grandmother -- who says she was present at Obama's birth in Kenya. Which, if true, makes him a British subject under the British Nationality Law, rather than an American citizen.

Posted by: BillT at July 17, 2009 04:53 AM

,i.The state Department of Health no longer issues copies of paper birth certificates as was done in the past, said spokeswoman Janice Okubo. The department only issues "certifications" of live births, and that is the "official birth certificate" issued by the state of Hawaii, she said."

Which doesn't prevent Obama from requesting that he be given his paper BC to quell the controversy. Obie was born in 1961, several *decades* before the changeover.

After all, the DNC claimed it was given access to it and photographed it. Problem is, two entirely *different* Official Obama BCs have appeared on the DNC site -- as have at least two different versions of the CoLB.

Posted by: BillT at July 17, 2009 05:11 AM

Grmpf. First two paras should be italicized.

Epic "Typing html By Laptop Screen Light" Fail...

Posted by: BillT at July 17, 2009 05:14 AM

You also misspelled 'argument,' but made a compelling one by using logic to trump rhetoric.

Posted by: Soon-to-be-BeanCounter at July 17, 2009 10:46 AM

But, at least you finally hit Number One in Google for "Chap This Marine Wife's Ass."

You were only Number Five last night...

Posted by: BillT at July 17, 2009 10:49 AM

Not only that, IF Baaarrrraaaack Hussein Obama was born in Kenya, thus subjecting him to the British Crown, it just makes the argument stronger in light of his returning the bust of Winston Churchill...what with his father being Kenyan.

Posted by: Cricket at July 17, 2009 10:51 AM

You also misspelled 'argument,'

Yeah, my proofreading skills go right down the tubes when the screen background drops to one shade lighter than the typeface. Which shouldn't be happening, since I take beta carotene for my eyesight, as well as gingko biloba for my memory, glucosamine and chondroitin for my joints, and gingko biloba for my memory.

Posted by: BillT at July 17, 2009 11:02 AM

"I try to avoid hit and run comments on blogs I don't frequent,..."

Obviously not since you (nor CS for that matter) haven't slithered back over here to provide actual proof verses rhetoric.

Just because someone *says* something does not make it true. Because, "I'm sorry but anyone that thinks there are[n't liars in this world] has an IQ of less than 100."
Of course, using your methods of proof, I can now say in full confidence that Xerxes IWON! is not an American citizen and is therefore ineligible to be POTUS.
Hey, look! Now there's *proof* -- consistent with your methods -- that he isn't a citizen.

Guess that means you will be changing your tune soon, right? I mean, you just read he's not a citizen. Surely, according to your methodology, that counts as fact. Oh wait, I know what's missing! You want to know if I'm an *official*.
Well, of course I am!
Just ask me.

Posted by: DL Sly at July 17, 2009 12:48 PM

"Yeah, my proofreading skills go right down the tubes when the screen background drops to one shade lighter than the typeface."

I hear there's a pill out now that's supposed to help with performance in dark surroundings.

*snnicker*
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at July 17, 2009 12:53 PM

Heh. There's one area in which I *don't* need chemical assistance...

Posted by: BillT at July 17, 2009 02:00 PM

Which explains the big zipper.

Thought we'd forgotten about that, didn't you?

And that's MY dream; actually NEEDING a big zipper.

(:^D

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at July 17, 2009 02:27 PM

Explains the thong as well...kind of.

Posted by: Sly's Wardrobe Mistress at July 17, 2009 02:34 PM

Might explain the *blue*, too, although, perhaps not the *neon*.....

*skipping away...(you know the rest)*
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at July 17, 2009 05:14 PM

Okay, that reminded me of why I don't have a cat...

Posted by: BillT at July 17, 2009 05:34 PM

Aw...is your superiority complex in the negative digits again?

tch tch.

You didn't provide a link, you provided a URL.

Not only that, in the selected statement, nothing was said about what was on the cert itself.

A sworn statement saying the cert is there is one thing, a sworn statement as to what is on it is another.

Posted by: Cricket at July 18, 2009 01:18 AM

Please remember that under the UCMJ and Title 10 USC it is every officer, NCO and enlisted individual's responsibility to refuse to follow an order that he believes is an illegal order. It doesn't matter if they make the set-up or if they are set-up

It is the commander's responsibility to prove that the order is legal.

It is Major Cook's responsibility to decline orders.

It is Obama's responsibility to show his birth certificate.

Obama has spent over 1.5 million dollars in legal fees hiding his birth certificate, school transcripts, school papers and the like. Why?

BTW, the news reports indicate that Major Cook was fired from his civilian job because of DoD pressure. That is in direct violation of USC. However most individuals who were ever in the whistle blower program will tell you that the law doesn't matter and the law will no longer protect them.

Cassandra, sorry you are chapped, but this issue needs to go to the mat and the Commander-In-Chief needs to come clean on the issue. He won't and Major Cook will be cooked.

Posted by: Dave at July 18, 2009 01:21 AM

"“It’s crazy,” said Janice Okubo, director of communications for the Hawaii Department of Health. “I don’t think anything is ever going to satisfy them.”

Okubo, who said that she gets weekly questions from Obama ‘Birthers’ that are “more like threats,” explained that the certificate of live birth reproduced by Obama’s campaign should have debunked the conspiracy theories. “If you were born in Bali, for example,” Okubo explained, “you could get a certificate from the state of Hawaii saying you were born in Bali. You could not get a certificate saying you were born in Honolulu. The state has to verify a fact like that for it to appear on the certificate. But it’s become very clear that it doesn’t matter what I say. The people who are questioning this bring up all these implausible scenarios. What if the physician lied? What if the state lied? It’s just become an urban legend at this point.”"

[Editor's note: last part of comment deleted. This is your first and last warning. Make your argument without name calling or take it elsewhere.]

Posted by: Dero at July 18, 2009 01:50 AM

She's nicer than I am. I call it like I see it. Birthers are retards.

I'll be nicer than you are -- I *won't* call you a retard for ignoring that the CoLB appearing on the FactCheck site is not the first one to appear there, and differs substantially from the first one to appear there.

And there's no evidence of the raised, stamped seal which should be in the lower right corner, merely a printed state seal at top center. There are several obvious anomalies, such as the design under the name "Barack Hussein Obama II" being off-center, which indicates a clumsy cut-and-paste PhotoShop job, rather than a form that was fed directly into a printer.

Which makes it dubious. Which means you utter refutations without even bothering to examine the arguments. Which means you base your refutation on a document you haven't even examined -- although I doubt you'd even know what you were supposed to be looking for.

Again, I'll be nicer -- I won't call you a retard, because that would be insulting to retards. You're merely a foolish little sock puppet, incapable of independent thought, needing someone else to feed you your lines...

Posted by: BillT at July 18, 2009 02:25 AM

Okay. I don't think there's anything to the "Obama is not a US citizen" issue. I also don't think people who believe it are idiots.

However, Orly Taitz, the attorney who represents Major Cook and has now filed a lawsuit on this matter for Alan Keyes - she's an idiot. On CNN she said:

in order to be the president, you have to have to have two parents that are citizens. Obama's father was never a citizen of this country.

What Constitution is she reading? If I were into conspiracy theories, my theory would be that Ms. Taitz is an Obama plant whose sole purpose is to be so stupid she insures the birth story will be totally discredited.

Posted by: Elise at July 18, 2009 10:30 AM

"If I were into conspiracy theories, my theory would be that Ms. Taitz is an Obama plant whose sole purpose is to be so stupid she insures the birth story will be totally discredited."
It's wunnerful to be able to start a beautiful Saturday morning with a smile... Thanks Elise!

Posted by: bthun at July 18, 2009 11:11 AM

Elise, you are a gem.
Yes, it is a LOVELY day here...in the 70s and breezy with a hint of cool. We have tomatoes, eggplant and basil, as well as squash that are thriving in the garden. We have ten watermelons.

The grill is waiting.

Posted by: Cricket at July 18, 2009 11:35 AM

It is a beautiful day here in North Georgia.

We've already put up 20 quarts of bush beans and gathered over 60 pounds of tomatoes. They are sitting on a card table on the back deck, taking in the sun's rays with not a care in the world. Little do they suspect that they are about to be canned. *channels a Peter Lorre laugh*

The fescue can be cut without fear of cooking the roots in 95°+ degree heat.

The blender functions and the after work detail, afternoon float in the pool awaits. So between the beautiful day and nearing the end of this summer's to-do list, I think I'm going to pretend, at least for the weekend, that His IWONness is but a bad dream.

Posted by: bthun at July 18, 2009 12:13 PM

High 90s and breezy with a hint of sewer plant.

We have two tomato plants next to the sim building that evidently sprouted from seeds a dumpster-diving sparrow salvaged as din-din. They've been getting a liter of water every four hours and coffee grounds every evening to keep them perky.

Posted by: BillT at July 18, 2009 12:19 PM

Bill,
I hope you are not going to taste those tomatoes when they appear on the wine :o)
It is much less humidity here in NoVA, the day is perfect for a beach or a nice picnic someplace in the hills... but I am in a wonderful air-conditioned office...

Posted by: olga at July 18, 2009 01:56 PM

I have absolutely no desire to munch the tomatoes when they ripen -- so far, there are two on one vine and one on the other. Got the vines staked with rebar so they don't go crawling under the blast walls for shade...

Posted by: BillT at July 18, 2009 02:15 PM

bthun:

When I was a younger man, I would leave Douglasville in the dawn and point my motorcycle through that perfect black asphalt ribbon that was northern Georgia, riding until the light, (or my fanny)finally gave out. Perhaps the best times of my life that I ever spent alone.

Is it still there?

Posted by: spd rdr at July 18, 2009 02:25 PM

Last week we did a bushel of peaches; 18 quarts of peach halves and 33 pints of jam. We are building the boxes along the Drive to the Garage of Chez Engineer. Those will bed the garden next summer; we are prepping the ground for the espalier fruit trees as a barrier between us and the neighbors. The espalier trees will go behind the boxes. Slow start to the garden, but the Engineer has been busy with grooming the yard, readying the pool for next year, and whatnot.

We just made fresh salsa with the tomatoes and some of the peppers..YUM.

Posted by: Cricket at July 18, 2009 03:01 PM

The VES' had a swim meet today, and while she didn't place (big meet), she did knock serious time off of her personal bests in all of today's events. 14 seconds off freestyle, 10 off breast stroke and 2 off back stroke. Very not bad for the first official meet in *a while*.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at July 18, 2009 06:26 PM

Douglasville is still there Spd. At least I think so. The last time I went to Douglasville I bought an Italian sports car. For some reason, paging Mr Freud, I never went back. Nor have I ever had the desire to own an Italian piece of machinery since.

The scenic rides in North Georgia are legendary. The crotch-rockets jockeys love to blast up/down the Dragon, which is probably the most (in)famous route for two wheelers. But the whole area is mighty nice on two wheels or four (wheels of hoofs).

If I ever get to a point that I can once again trust myself on two wheels, exoskeleton and all, I'm going to get one of these little numbers.

My friends all ride Harleys, I must make amends...

Posted by: bthun at July 18, 2009 08:30 PM

We exist to amuse, bt. And Cricket you are just the sweetest thing. (I've been reading "Southern Ladies and Gentlemen" again.)

I envy y'all your harvests - yours seems very Italian, Cricket - although I don't envy you your canning, bt. I've canned tomatoes. In Lower Alabama. In August. I still have a mad desire to kiss the can every time I buy canned tomato products in the grocery store.

Have y'all tried making gazpacho with some of those tomatoes? I dug out my old recipe this summer - haven't made it in years - and it's fabulous even with store-bought tomatoes. I imagine it would be heaven on earth with home-grown tomatoes (and bell peppers and cucumbers and ...).

Congratulations on the VES' swim meet. Um, what is a "VES"?

Posted by: Elise at July 19, 2009 11:13 AM

I would not use the word amuse Elise... Enjoy your observations through your commentary, yes. Amuse just happened to be a byproduct. Sorta like a feature, or so we used to tell software engineering types who would discover memory leaks in library functions. =;^}

Oh I must alter my earlier comment to Mr. Rdr one iddy biddy bit... If I ever do regain the physical capability and confidence to ride on two wheels again, I would consider one piece of Italian machinery. And that one piece would be this one.

Sheessh... A geezer akimbo on such a mosheen! Maybe I am losing my faculties.

Ah well, before I do, I'd better get a few more items checked off of the to-do list, so I'm outta here!

Posted by: bthun at July 19, 2009 11:47 AM

Gosh, bt, I was feeling flattered - although a little confused - and almost sort of weepy. Until I hit the "memory leakage" comparison.

Posted by: Elise at July 19, 2009 05:31 PM

Mmmmppphh, areeeerrrr, bbbbmmmm... *cough* *cough* *hack* *patuueee!*

Sheesh Elise. Surely you can appreciate how hard it is for me to convey the thought with both of my feet in my mouth. And no, the memory leak remark was not directed at you.

Oh forget it. I think I'll just go back to the barn and drop something on my foot so I'll not be able to fit both of them into my maw at the same time.

Posted by: bt_does_this_explaination_make_my_head_look_fat?_hun at July 19, 2009 06:22 PM

You two are so silly :)

There are times when I am completely humbled by you guys.

Well, OK. It's most of the time.

Posted by: Cassandra at July 19, 2009 06:31 PM

I love gazpacho...do share, please? I too, believe that canning should be done in factories, especially in Lower Alabama. It was such a rare day yesterday...I spent almost all day outside. The Engineer had to poke me back inside.

Our garden is small, but we aim to have enough to feed us through the year via fresh or canned, even if all we do is grow enough to meet our immediate needs and we have to pick the rest of it ourselves from a pick-it-yourself farm. I think though, gardening is one of those skills that grows the more you use it. The Almighty is generous with His gifts.

Ellijay is lovely, and Camp Woodruff, the BSA camp up that way, is a dream. A lovely natural clear lake, pines, hardwoods, and cool temps. Definitely a camper's dream.

Posted by: Cricket at July 19, 2009 07:12 PM

BT - yes, it does. She said, struggling not to chuckle.

Here you go, Cricket. I don't know how "authentic" this is but I love it. If you get around to trying it (I must have 100 recipes I'm going to try someday) let me know what you think.

Gazpacho

I got this out of some cookbook more years ago than I like to remember.

1 cup finely chopped peeled tomatoes (about 1-1/2 small) (I don’t bother to peel them - think of the roughage)
1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper (about 3/4 of a pepper)
1/2 cup finely chopped celery (about 1 large stalk)
1/2 cup finely chopped cucumber (a little over 1/2 cucumber) (I leave the seeds in)
1/4 cup finely chopped onion (less than 1/4 onion)
1 teaspoon snipped chives or green onion tops (I just dice an entire green onion, white and green parts, and toss it in - there’s no such thing as too much onion)
1 small clove garlic, minced
2-3 Tablespoons wine vinegar (I prefer red)
2 Tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper (I like coarse grind but I don’t grind it myself)
2 cups tomato juice

Optional:
2 teaspoons snipped parsley (I never use this)
1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce (I always use this)

Combine all ingredients; cover and chill thoroughly, at least 4 hours. Overnight is even better.

Serve in chilled cups (not in my house - no room in fridge for both the gazpacho and the cups).

Top with croutons if desired. (I’ve never tried this.)

Makes 6 servings.

Fair warning: If you mix, store, or serve in wood or plastic, you may never get the onion-pepper-garlic smell out of the container. Once upon a time I had a really big glass jar that my mother used to make refrigerator pickles in - it was perfect for this recipe but unfortunately it vanished somewhere along the line. Now I use a large Pyrex or glass bowl and just cover it first with waxed paper and then with aluminum foil. Or you could use plastic wrap but Saran and I don’t get along. I figure it’s no coincidence that if you change that “r” to a “t”...

Posted by: Elise at July 19, 2009 09:57 PM

Saran wtap?

Ummmmm -- errrrrrr -- okaaaaay, I guess...

Posted by: BillT at July 20, 2009 05:06 AM

What, your mother never told you the story of the dread Saran wtap that steals smart-alecks from their beds in the middle of the night?

Posted by: Elise at July 20, 2009 12:26 PM

Elise, my daughter is traditionally known as SWHNOB (She Who Has No Off Button), however, ever since summer vacation started (and she's home all day) she's now known as our Verbal Exchange Student.
0>;~}

Posted by: DL Sly at July 20, 2009 02:20 PM

Thanks, DL. Cute. (I thought it was one of those military acronyms my brain never seems to retain.)

Posted by: Elise at July 20, 2009 02:57 PM

TANSTAAFL, Elise. MilSpeak, retention of, requires periodic MilBlogs, perusal of.

One each, OD in color.

Posted by: BillT at July 20, 2009 03:23 PM

Yes, BillT, but it's terribly frustrating to read something and have no idea what the writer is saying. It's like trying to learn Norwegian by reading a half-translated instruction manual for making lutefisk. I need a "MilSpeak for Dummies" to give me a fighting (ha-ha) chance.

One each, OD in color.

Say what?

Posted by: Elise at July 20, 2009 03:33 PM

Heh. Military nomenclature describes items right down to color, to avoid the faux pas of mis-typing a stock number when ordering, say, a camouflage net and receiving a cerise circus tent. Part of the nomenclature includes the number of each item which make up a unit of issue.

For example, your run-of-the-mill D-cell battery at the hardware store is silver. Military dry-cell batteries are all Olive Drab, and issued in a box of six. The description on the box would run thusly: Battery, dry-cell, size D, OD in color, six (6) each.

When a new Lieutenant reported into Flight Ops, one of the older pilots (older even than *I*, but it was a long time ago) announced, "That Lieutenant, one each, OD in color, you ordered just arrived, Colonel."

Ummmmmm -- you sorta had to be there...

Posted by: BillT at July 20, 2009 04:01 PM

Actually, BillT, that's pretty funny - once my brain worked out the translation.

Can I just ask? I haven't really been keeping track but are you in Iraq/Afghanistan? And if so, haven't you been there kind of a long time? Unless I'm mistaken - which I may well be - it seems like Grim has been there, come back, been there, and come back and you've just been there.

If this is too nosy, just say so.

Posted by: Elise at July 20, 2009 05:22 PM

Nope, not nosy. I was in Pakistan for part of 2007, got back in time to switch employers, and I've been in Iraq since February 2008. It's a multi-year contract, renewable each year, depending on performance and customer satisfaction, and was originally supposed to run through 2011.

And which may be extended through 2014. We just got the contract for a formal version of a course I've been teaching *informally* since March of last year.

Posted by: BillT at July 20, 2009 07:09 PM

Ah, thanks. When you were talking about that tomato plant in another post I thought, "That doesn't sound like anywhere in the US". I assume (hope) that you get to come home from time to time.

Posted by: Elise at July 20, 2009 09:52 PM

Yup. Took two weeks in September -- met KtLW in Italy -- and got to do a year's worth of honeydew list at Stately Tuttle Manor for in two weeks this past May.

Posted by: BillT at July 21, 2009 12:36 AM