« Oooh. Tim Kaine Is Looking Out For Me. | Main | Double Entendre Contest »

August 14, 2009

Barack Obama Caused My Existentialist Funk

"We need a president who sees government not as a tool to enrich well-connected friends and high-priced lobbyists, but as the defender of fairness and opportunity for every American," the candidate said in his June speech. "That's the kind of president I intend to be."

- Barack Obama

Long 'ere gentle Aurora painted the sky with still-blushing fingers, the Blog Princess sprang from betwixt the Marital Sheets clad in little more than a wispy nightie and a firm resolve to stand with Governor Tim Kaine against The Enemies of Reform.

You know... Them. The ones who are not Us. The ruthless, gun-loving, conniving, divisive lying Chinese toy loving minions of the richest one percent psychopaths who are plotting to assassinate the first Black President will stop at nothing to prevent authentic Americans from building an unscripted grassroots consensus around the Bad, Scary Consequences we'll suffer if we allow those fear mongering, divisive bastards to strangle health care reform in its infancy.

As I read the news each day I find myself increasingly troubled by the hostile, angry tone of the Deniers. It's so hard to put aside the petty politics of the past 8 years when Those People cling to scare tactics and dismissive, divisive rhetoric. That's why it's up to decent folk like Us who believe in robust debate to protect loyal Americans from social saboteurs and their dangerous ideas.

I don't want to be a racist. Despite being a typical white person, I acknowledge the shameful way I've unwittingly exploited my unearned race, gender and class privileges. But the election of Barack Obama has injected troubling doubts into what (if I were a superstitious ignoranus) I would call my "soul".

Like any thinking individual, I accept without question that Questioning Authority is the only path to what (if I were a superstitious ignoranus) I would call "The Truth". Which leads me to a troubling paradox: now that Barack Obama is President of the world's largest superpower, doesn't he represent exactly the kind of Authority I'm supposed to question? But if I question him, won't I become one of Them?

Remember Obama the Fantasy Construct? The pacifist feminist lightworking Savior who lives in people’s heads? He’s still here!

Of course he’s never gone away, but as the gulf between Real Obama and Fantasy Obama approaches Grand Canyon proportions, it’s amusing to watch people scramble to hang on to the dream. Amusing, that is, in a double Xanax, Mexican Mudslide, Fuckitol kind of way.

I keep reading “faith based” musings from Democrats and liberals who assume that Obama has some greater purpose that he isn’t telling us yet. ...

It sort of reminds me of Saint Paul telling us that we see through a glass darkly but soon all will be made clear. Surely, the judgment day is coming when Obama will return and smite his enemies and usher in an era of liberal paradise. We cannot know the day or the hour. But it’s coming. We mere mortals shouldn’t question his ways of Obama. Um, this is creepy. I even see Paul Krugman almost slipping into this mindset. But the signs do not point to an Armageddon followed by 1000 years of New Deal-Great Society 2.0. Can we just put away the glazed out expressions and deal with reality here? Obama is not a god and we don’t have to make burnt offerings and read the smoke to figure out what he wants. There is no such thing as 11 dimensional chess. He’s just not a very strong or progressive president and he’s not going to save the day. Period.

Quelle dommage! Is nothing sacred in post-racial America? Have all our sacred oxen been gored? How can we heap scorn on the existence of universal truth if we all surrender our belief systems? I once believed. I believed this was the land of opportunity - a place if only you believe, anything is possible:

I’ve decided that I am now a primary-care physician. Apparently, all you have to do is believe.

I will be answering all your medical questions from here on out. Let’s start with this one, which I made up and then sent to me, so it would be all official:

Dear Dr. Attila:

I understand that you have a primary practice that is not run by the government. How do you go about harvesting people’s tonsils and feet, and what do you do with the tonsils and feet once you have lopped them off?

If you have extras, may I have a few? I’d like to serve them up with fava beans and a nice chianti.

—Peckish in Virginia

Damn it, spd! Et tu?

I want to believe that health care reform will solve the mortgage crisis and repeal the law of supply and demand. I know - in my heart of hearts - that these seemingly unrelated things all tie together somehow, even if I'm too thick headed to understand how. I want to believe I am entitled to the fruit of other peoples' labor.

I'm an American, durnitall! And though I rightly reject unegalitarian and outdated theories like American Exceptionalism, I can't help but believe we're smarter than countries like England or Canada. After all, we're Americans!

I want to believe in experts who are smarter than I am. I want to believe that if Congress spends more money than we take in, we can cut costs and get the federal deficit under control.

I want to believe in something larger than myself. Something I can refuse to question without succumbing to dogma and intellectualist doublespeak. I want to embrace my inner intellectual Ti.

Help me, Obama. Save me from moralistic idealogues and evil doers.

You're my only hope.

Posted by Cassandra at August 14, 2009 07:34 AM

Comments

*Extinguishes Gauloisis, as if it matters in the smoke filled atmosphere of Progressive politics. Casually pushes RayBan Aviators back up the nose, raises one hand and snaps fingers in approval*

Posted by: bt_the-beatnik_hun at August 14, 2009 09:43 AM

There's a reason I haven't been actually watching the news like I used to. It's depressing enough just seeing the headlines online and listening to local talk radio on the daily commute to and from work...

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at August 14, 2009 10:02 AM

Will the day ever come when I can set aside this weapon of the effeminate, the pen, and get on with the things I truly love? That is, will the time come when I can spend my days honing my fighting knife and adjusting the sighting on my rifle to perfection? Apparently not!

I have, in my slow witted way, come to believe that the true objective of this administration is not that of reaching the left wing elitist nirvana of spreading the wealth of those who are not left wing elitists. No, the true objective is to bring us to the level of mediocrity the rest of the world is, in their ignorance, striving to get away from. We deserve it, don’t you know.

True, their left wing paradises have failed in every instance they have been crammed down the throats of the ignorant masses, but that is only because it was never done properly. With the enlightened form of left wing dictatorship we now have, it will work. Even if we are not a Christian country, we have managed to find a Messiah who will guide us down the enlightened path of the aforementioned mediocrity which will make the perfected nation.

The man promised the people change, and the people, in their haste to get to it, never bothered to ask, what kind?

Posted by: RIslander at August 14, 2009 10:17 AM

I wonder if Reclusive Leftist ever sends Elise hate-rays, for directing all of these conservatives towards her site? I never comment there, since I don't wish to intrude on someone who self-describes as reclusive. Still, she's likely noticed the links from us, and is surely smart enough to have tracked down the mole. :)

Posted by: Grim at August 14, 2009 10:19 AM

"True, their left wing paradises have failed in every instance they have been crammed down the throats of the ignorant masses, but that is only because it was never done properly."
Nor can it be done properly.
"One final thought: I’ve never met a beatific equality-of-result person. They are usually grim and angry warriors determined to right cosmic wrongs, eager to demonize those who ‘have too much’, convinced that the divine ends justify the demonic means."
The VDH post can be accessed here.

Posted by: bt_the-beatnik_hun at August 14, 2009 10:29 AM

>I want to believe that health care reform will solve the mortgage crisis and repeal the law of supply and demand. I know - in my heart of hearts - that these seemingly unrelated things all tie together somehow, even if I'm too thick headed to understand how.

Collectivism.

Posted by: smitty at August 14, 2009 10:41 AM

It is All Political and these David Axelrod Folks are not really good at politics outside of Chicago.

Montana Gun Laws is one of the most viewed post on Logistic Monsters Blog. Maybe that is why Bozeman, Montana is on the town hall meeting junket for the President’s Health Care Insurance Reform Bills?

So why Bozeman, Montana town hall meeting for the President to CAMPAIGN “for which” Health Care Reform Bill? Why Grand Jct. Colorado? They are indicative of what demographic of Americans?

My home state is called an empty state so what is the draw for the Obama administration? Is it because Max Baucus is under pressure?

Montana is an ultra strong 2nd Amendment state they are not keen on Sotomayor for the U.S. Supreme Court. Max Baucus has reasons to be weary. Montana is carry in the open state mostly because of hunting. This Health Care Insurance Reform “Bills” is looking like it could go sideways, and it doesn’t look like the Obama administration can course correct.

Posted by: Ree at August 14, 2009 10:45 AM

I wonder if Reclusive Leftist ever sends Elise hate-rays,

Not so far, Grim. Either she hasn't noticed, hasn't tracked down, or doesn't care. Or perhaps it's a case of that old Irish feeling that anyone heaving a bomb at Westminster is welcome in the struggle. :-)

Posted by: Elise at August 14, 2009 11:47 AM

Ree;

I don't believe in coincidence. We have heard the steady drumbeat accusations of so-called right-wing zealots, bible thumping, gun loving, racist illiterati who run in angry mobs causing disruption. Ratcheting the rhetoric up a notch, we are being setup for accusations of domestic terrorism and running amok as only 'racists' are capable of.

We are facing the culmination of a desperate administration using Chicago tactics in an endgame scenario to cramdown healthcare. Obama will take a one term presidency if he can pass single-payor healthcare. Prepare to be demonized to the max the closer we get to the middle of September.

It is my belief that the Obama administration deliberately gave Pelosi and her Tower of Babble the job of putting together 1000 pages of incomprehensible healthcare legalize. Obama understands that the incomprehensible wording can be molded into anything no matter what is added or taken away.

Let us see if this prediction is true. The so-called nuclear option will be to demonize proponents of the second ammendment as domestic terrorists standing against the windblown visage of BHO standing against the unpatriotic winds of dissent. Putin was sending us a message when he posed shirtless in the Siberian outback recently like Fabio without the long hair.

Might be a stretch but symbols are everything to these dreamers and Messiah figures. I will stick with this interpretation until events prove me wrong. Food for thought!

Posted by: vet66 at August 14, 2009 12:35 PM

Nor can it be done properly.

Oh, but it *can*, because, y'know, the current crop of, like, *intellectuals* these days is so, ummmmmm, like, y'know, more *intellectual* than ever before in the history of the world. It's *true*.

That's because, like, the history of the world didn't even *start* until the day they, like, sprang full-grown from the brow of Zeus.

Y'know?

Posted by: BillT at August 14, 2009 12:38 PM

Collectivism.

NOOOOOOO!!!!!

You must sing Kumbaya with meeeeeee! :p

re: Reclusive Leftist. She's a fantastic writer - great find, Elise!

Posted by: Cassandra at August 14, 2009 12:59 PM

Interesting timing that Lynette "Squeaky" Fromme, who attempted to assassinate President Ford decades ago, has just been released from prison.

WHAT ARE THE ODDS?

Probably a coincidence...interesting timing nonetheless. Sure hi-lites the subject matter though!

Posted by: vet66 at August 14, 2009 01:06 PM

"who are plotting to assassinate the first Black President" Pretty darn funny, alright, anything for a laugh.
I hope you thought long and hard before treating such things as jokes; I wonder what kind of appalled comments you would have written had something similar that been said about Bush (and it probably was)?
You can do better...

Posted by: sean at August 14, 2009 01:35 PM

I was not making light of the possibility that some whack job might assassinate the President, Sean.

I was making fun of all the news anchors and pundits who, while simultaneously condemning health care protesters for supposedly making unfounded accusations, go on to do EXACTLY the same thing.

I'm sorry if you can't see the humor in that. Oddly, I don't think it's terribly funny either when news anchors assume that anyone who disagrees with this president is a murdering racist.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 14, 2009 01:44 PM

"Sarcasm is not the rapier of wit its wielders seem to believe it to be, but merely a club: it may, by dint of brute force, occasionally raise bruises, but it never cuts or pierces. "

Posted by: I Call BS at August 14, 2009 03:13 PM

Interesting quote. Since this post was intended to do neither (raise bruises nor cut) though, I'm not quite sure what point you're trying to make.

And in any event, I'm not sure generations of literature readers would agree with you :p

Nice try, though.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 14, 2009 03:39 PM

I am now a Pod Person. I have hatched to serve as a minion.

Posted by: Cricket at August 14, 2009 03:52 PM

*Raises one hand and snaps fingers in sarcastic approval*

Posted by: bt_the-beatnik_hun at August 14, 2009 04:01 PM

Spoken like a true, orchid-raising, gastronomic dilettante...

Posted by: BillT at August 14, 2009 04:05 PM

The quote is from a Rex Stout book, spoken by "Nero Wolfe".

Posted by: I Call BS at August 14, 2009 04:42 PM

and there's always this:

'Sarcasm I now see to be, in general, the language of the Devil; for which reason I have, long since, as good as renounced it."
Thomas Carlyle, Sartor Resartus (1833-1834), book II, ch. IV

Posted by: I Call BS at August 14, 2009 04:45 PM

Re the 1000 pages of the bill...Goethe said:

"When ideas fail, words come in very handy."

Posted by: david foster at August 14, 2009 04:48 PM

C'mon, didn't you know Obama is a sell-out?

New Rule: President Obama must give up that awful habit that sets such a bad example for young people. I'm talking, of course ... about golf.

Golf, if you're not familiar, is a pastime where you basically walk outdoors with a bag, muttering and cursing. It's like being homeless in loud pants. Anyway, Time magazine is reporting that since he became president, Barack Obama has taken up golf with a passion, playing almost every weekend for the past few months -- and I feel betrayed. He campaigned as a basketball player. It said to us, "I'm urban and athletic and hip and a team player." Golf says, "I like Lipitor and white collar crime." And it's not just golf -- he's been purposefully eating a lot of hamburgers in public lately, to prove he loves meat. And he said that, unlike before he became president, he prays all the time now and that his Faith and Neighbor Initiatives Director sends him scripture on his Blackberry to start every day. Jesus, is there something about that house that turns people into assholes?

Really! Bill Maher said so! Well, not really, but almost. Mostly he said I was a racist asshole, which is odd, since I don't play golf.

Posted by: NRA-ILA card carrying Neanderthal at August 14, 2009 04:51 PM

It’s in the air. Can't ya feel it? By gads it’s Gorebal Warming! It creates volatility. I feel it when I’m flying through the comments. The are too, are not comments are more volatile. We are paying the price in more hurricanes and tornadoes and weather and commentary akimbo and such.

And just when in the H3!! is the FCC going do something about fairness?

You would think with all the rabble rousing on talk radio and in VRWC blogs, unauthorized talk derailing the party line, stirring up evil-monger, unpatriotic, ignorant, thumpin', clingers, a doctrine specifying fairness –read no dissent, it is no longer patriotic ya know- would have been a done deal already.

A message must be distributed through Axelrod's nonexistent, double-super-secret email distribution list on the need for the Fairness Doctrine. Also tack on a necessity for biannual reviews with functionaries of the Office of the Czar of the FCC and The End of Right Wing Ideology and Bipartisan Outreach or Beatdown Ministry of the Benevolent Home Guard.

This must be done so that the world will love us.

We have to get ahead of the curve on this one and get everyone on board.

Note to self: Have Pelosi revise HR3200 to include a biannual checkup from the neck up for all VRWC adherents. And authorize supplement funding for Frontal lobe trickle-charge treatment, as needed.

Backup plan on which Panetta must execute: Position Global Hawks over all Dairy Queens.

Posted by: J. Edgar Hubris at August 14, 2009 05:28 PM

Sarcasm may be brute force, but then again, any problem can be solved by the application of sufficient force. :-)

Posted by: Yu-Ain Gonnano at August 14, 2009 05:29 PM

"Sarcasm may be brute force, but then again, any problem can be solved by the application of sufficient force."
*Raises both hands and energetically snaps fingers*

Posted by: bt_the-beatnik_hun at August 14, 2009 05:34 PM

Sarcasm obviates the need for me to tell someone what I really think about him.

Posted by: BillT at August 14, 2009 05:53 PM

Golf today, tennis tomorrow - before you know it the guy will be registering as a Republican and espousing capitalism.

Posted by: RIslander at August 14, 2009 05:57 PM

re: Reclusive Leftist. She's a fantastic writer - great find, Elise!

I'm glad you appreciate her. You might also try Anglachel's Journal. To my great sadness she's stopped blogging but her old stuff is worth reading.

Fair warning: She is a committed, integrated progressive by which I mean that she - unlike Obama - has done more than just memorize some key words and phrases. Rather she has an entire world view. I don't agree with it and Anglachel made me angry more than once but if you want to understand how progressives think she's a great person to read. Unlike, say, Obsidian Wings she doesn't make me so furious I think I'm going to burst into flames.

Posted by: Elise at August 14, 2009 06:02 PM

Answer me this, I Call BS, if the congress critters get last minute addendae to the bill
(forgive my fractured Latin; never took it so I apologize to all parochial school and law school grads beforehand) which they will have to vote on without reading it through in order to *rush* it, how can the press know beforehand what the bill contains and debunk the alleged falsehoods?

Just asking.

Posted by: Cricket at August 14, 2009 06:56 PM

Spoken like a true, orchid-raising, gastronomic dilettante...Posted by: BillT at August 14, 2009 04:05 PM

The quote is from a Rex Stout book, spoken by "Nero Wolfe".Posted by: I Call BS at August 14, 2009 04:42 PM

You're welcome.

Posted by: BillT at August 14, 2009 07:05 PM

Senor Beatnik: The "grim and angry" left has always been that way. Just look at the true believers of the Soviet way, hard-hearted Commissars who gladly slaughtered their neighbors and fellow citizens on the altar of ideological purity. They, too, encouraged the citizenry to denounce their neighbors and family members for "incorrect" thinking. Only Party-approved truths could be uttered or held, and dissenters were counterrevolutionary enemies of the State who neede to be sent to re-education camps in the Gulag.

The Democrats always get incensed when you call them communists seeking to destroy american liberties. Listening to them nowadays, I get nostalgic for my old life behind the Iron Curtain. State control of economy and all aspects of personal life? Check! Party-run media? Check! Beloved Leader cult of personality and who may not be criticized? Check!
The list goes on and on.

Posted by: a former european at August 14, 2009 09:18 PM

"Barack Obama Caused My Existentialist Funk"

It's titles like this, on a day like today, that makes me wish there was still an Alanis Morrisette lyric generator on the internet. Somewhere.

I blame Bush for this.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at August 14, 2009 10:01 PM

That was fun, wasn't it Don? :)

COMRADE OLEG!!!

Tovarich... sorry to say that the People's Republic has fined you one beet for displaying insufficient socialist ardor.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 14, 2009 10:39 PM

Mr. Brouhaha, for you sir.

Mr. AFE, Oh how I wish our trendy progressives would either listen to those, such as yourself, who have lived the Utopian Socialist dream, or can it and move to Venezuela, Cuba, or North Korea. Be they bold enough to actually live the dream.

Posted by: bt_the-beatnik_hun at August 14, 2009 10:45 PM

Is Obsidian Wings, "Hiltzoy"? If so, I have disagreed with a lot of what she (I think - sorry, but don't pay that much attention) has to say but find her intelligent and possessed of a cogent world view.

I don't mind people who disagree with me. Grim thinks I'm full of crap most of the time, but I don't mind because his arguments make me think. I don't mind someone who comes from some well thought out position, even if I think it's wrong.

The folks that make my head explode are the ones who twist this way and that in the slightest breeze. You get the feeling they just "side" with whatever the present mood happens to be... with no more basis than that because they'll totally reverse their stated position if one of their guys does something. Anything to protect "their side".

I think many people on the right are complete assholes. I've said so again and again. So are many on the left. It has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with human nature.

I don't take it on myself to chastise every nut case on the right (or left) b/c I really don't have time and more importantly it's a fool's errand to think you've "proved" anything by pointing out that both sides have extremists and idiots. If a story interests me and I have time I write about it. It's alarming to me how willing people are on both sides to elevate some random twit to be the exemplar of reich wing or left wing thought.

That is just offensive. You can find nuts anywhere you go. So many idiots talked about assassinating Bush that it lost a bit of its punch after a while. And yet there were more attempts on his life than any recent Prez. I honestly didn't think he'd live past this January but you didn't see me crying in my beer about it. All that does is fan the flames of stupidity that are consuming this country.

That's part of what pisses me off about the Obama paranoia. OBVIOUSLY I don't want anything bad to happen to the man. That would be tragic for the entire nation - the harm would be incalculable. But "violent" signs???

Please. Google Bush and Nazi or kill Bush before you start whining about how scared you are for Obama. No politician should be a target for nut jobs.

Period. But signs are just signs.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 14, 2009 10:57 PM

He has a beet! Then someone has to cough up a beet as I am beetless and that is not fair!

*starts composing complaint to flag@Politburo.TheEndofRightWingIdeology.BipartisanOutreach.BeatdownMinistryoftheBenevolentHomeGuard.gov*

*must remember to hide pickled chipmunks from Rations Czar*

Posted by: bt_the-beatnik_hun at August 14, 2009 10:57 PM

Comrade Oleg is suspected of hoarding his beet ration. Now others have eaten theirs and they are hungry again.

They need his beet more than he does.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 14, 2009 11:00 PM

Grim thinks I'm full of crap most of the time...

Dear lady! I don't think I've ever said that.

We do have some basic philosophical disagreements on bedrock issues -- such as whether Maryland counts as "the South" -- but they are well within the bounds in which reasonable people can differ.

Or unreasonable, passionate ones, as the case may be. :)

Posted by: Grim at August 14, 2009 11:10 PM

Bthun made my day, and now I'm going to make yours with......

"I Think"

I Think Villainous Company is a really a huge problem
I Think The Marine Corp are too much on my mind
I Think Tigerhawk has got a lot to do with why the world sucks
But what can you do?

Like a funky rain, beating down on me
Like a Barack Obama line, which won't let go of my brain
Like Hillary Clinton's ass, it is in my head
Blame it on An Existential Funk
Blame it on An Existential Funk
Blame it on An Existential Funk

I Think Grim's Hall is gonna drive us all crazy
And Castle Arrrggh! makes me feel like a child
I Think The Cotillion will eventually be the downfall of civilization
But what can you do? I said what can you do?

Like a funky rain, beating down on me
Like a Barack Obama line, which won't let go of my brain
Like Hillary Clinton's ass, it is in my head
Blame it on An Existential Funk
Blame it on An Existential Funk
Blame it on An Existential Funk

Like a funky rain, beating down on me
Like Hillary Clinton's smile, cruel and cold
Like Barack Obama's ass, it is in my head
Blame it on An Existential Funk
Blame it on An Existential Funk
Blame it on An Existential Funk

********

I think Alanis Morrisette would be proud. By the way, whatever happened to her? Barack Obama's ass; think of it! Or not.

***********

Fear not, friends. The country is in the best of hands.
Ours.
Don't drop it or let it go. Don't give in to fear. Politicians are like the wind, blowing across the land. Here, then gone. This too, shall pass.

The future belongs to us.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at August 14, 2009 11:47 PM

Hilzoy is one of the writers at Obsidian Wings. We'll have to agree to disagree on the "well thought out" part. :-)

Posted by: Elise at August 15, 2009 06:12 AM

Well, I have only read one or two of her posts, usually b/c they were linked by Glenn Reynolds or someone like that. So I may not be judging from a very large sample!

The few I've read seemed pretty reasonable, even when I disagreed I could see how she got there.

Posted by: Cassandra at August 15, 2009 07:46 AM

Bang the drums, beatnik hun.

tell the people what it's like.

Roast the beets.

Posted by: Cricket at August 15, 2009 09:46 AM

Do you make gravy and mashed potatoes with the roast the beets?

Posted by: BillT at August 15, 2009 10:04 AM

Absolutely. Not only that, there will be roast beast to make the gravy.

Posted by: Cricket at August 15, 2009 11:36 AM

*pickled chipmunk gravy, donuts, and beeeeer... mmmmmmm.....*

Posted by: Homer at August 15, 2009 01:36 PM

Don Brouhaha like anybody with a few miles on the clock, I've been faced with some unpleasant situations where I've had occasion to remind myself that "this too shall pass".

And I recognize that politicians come and go and blow across the landscape like a wind. In fact they're composed mostly of wind.

But why does it have to be a foul wind off a garbage dump? Just saying--and hoping the wind keeps blowing outa here.

Posted by: Mike Myers at August 15, 2009 07:05 PM

Mike
If we lose faith in our most basic ideals, and especially each other, we are lost. We become like.....France? Where severe intellectual de-construtionism and an elite group of ruling class (most of the politicians in that country come from the same political school at the Ecole Polytechnic) have alienated the common man from his government, despite the facade of "democracy". The people think that they have a say, but it is all about the same.

Yes, there is a foul stench in the air, and it has been blowing in our faces for quite a while; before Obama. He is just a symptom of a deeper illness. Cass tries to illuminate the particulars to bolster her case against the "funk", but it is all of one piece.

I have no profound insight or answer to these times, but if we lose faith in what we are and who we are and what we believe in, then we are lost as a people. America is more than just the land, "from sea to shining sea". It is an idea that lives in most of us. Calling each other "fascists" and "Nazis" isn't going to win any arguments; it is just alienation masquerading as anger. We have to make our point with the acceleration of public anomie.

Keep the idea alive within, and don't give into your worst fears. That's the best I got.

Posted by: Don Brouhaha at August 15, 2009 10:32 PM

Pbo's management "style" reminds me of a seagull manager I had at GE.

Flew in one day. Squawked a lot. Shit all over the place. Left, knowing we would clean it up. It was reflected in his annual review; we can do the same with elections in '10 and '12.

Posted by: kbob in Katy at August 15, 2009 10:59 PM

and you people in 3-186-2L and 3-186-3L need to hold a field day. BT.....take charge.

LMAO

Posted by: kbob in Katy at August 15, 2009 11:02 PM

interesting...my comments are held for approval. I must have been a bad bad boy. Slap my bohiney!

Posted by: kbob in Katy at August 16, 2009 10:38 AM

"3-186-2L and 3-186-3L"
Yikes! IIRC --as if I could forget-- that's right below the aft chow hall and beside a weapons elevator. All of which is currently somewhere in the vicinity of Davy Jones locker. *hangs head and places right hand over heart*

Take charge? Nah, I think I'd rather take the cash, in the form of small, unmarked gold bars and silver ingots. You can take the credit! =;^}

Posted by: bt_the-beatnik_hun at August 16, 2009 11:23 AM

BT - its where we lived!

Posted by: kbob in Katy at August 16, 2009 04:00 PM

Yeah, right below the aft mess decks and up next to a weapons elevator, the operation of which registered a 6.5 on Richter's scale.

Location,
location,
location...

I preferred to take my 4 hours of daily sleep, whether I needed it or not, in the hammock in our iddy biddy satellite workshop. Do you remember the C&E shop's workspace under the flight deck at the pointy end of the ship?

Posted by: bt_the-beatnik_hun at August 16, 2009 05:01 PM

Of course I do. With the cat trough running thru it. How could one ever forget that place and those folks???

Winfree, Gunn, Proper, Davis...we had some fun on the 74 Med cruise....but those airdales in VA-82 with their training films....just about enough to corrupt a young lad.

Liberty in Toulon, Palma and Valencia. Athens more than we needed. Istanbul, Rhodes, Corfu...and finally Rota.

And dont foget that we lived next door to #3 SSDG! Vrooooooooooooooooooom and the lights were back on. But we were on the run to get the power restored to normal.

Them was the days!!!

Posted by: kbob in Katy at August 17, 2009 09:52 PM

'T was a nice little remote space even though it did have that cable truck through which aircraft were provided 440v-400Hz and 28VDC power. That trunk leaked like a sieve, which made the space susceptible to flooding. Foul weather, or seas like we hit in "Northern Merger" guaranteed that the space would flood. Yup, there was nothing quite like working on high voltage/high freq equipment in a metal space with water on the deck.

Unless it was working on the electrical/electronic equipment in the hatches on the flight deck, during a storm, lit by a red-lensed flashlight while using the weight of tools for ballast in high winds, heavy seas and rain.

Or trying to grab a few winks in spite of the incessant noise from the forward cats hitting their water brakes during launches. Ambiance may be the word I'm look for... =;^}

And the people, especially the shipmates... Chief Drew, Warrick, Fulton, Guzman, McCullough, Hobbs, Miller, Davis, Lee, Osborn, Nygren, Yates, Barrios, Bridger, to name just a few. A regular McHale's Navy!

The funny thing is, I miss the sea. But in my next life, I'd rather be in the plane than on the flight deck.

Apologies for the ruminations of a former green shirt.

Posted by: bthun at August 18, 2009 02:53 AM