« Racism!!!! | Main | Classic »

September 30, 2009

Interesting Test

It was created for women (and so the questions might give guys a bit of trouble in places) but I would think the answers would be equally applicable to men or women.

My results below the fold:

YOUR LEAD ROLE
CREATOR

You begin by asking:
'What do I understand?'

You aren’t immune to the feelings and perspectives of others, but your starting point is your own insight, your own understanding.

Your best quality:
Your ability to find patterns invisible to others

Always:
Find time to be by yourself

Be careful you:
Don’t think so long, you never do anything

Your smartest career move:
Any job where you’re paid to produce new content.

YOUR SUPPORTING ROLE
PIONEER

You begin by asking:
'What’s new?'

You are, by nature, an explorer, excited by things you haven’t seen before, people you haven’t yet met. Whereas others are intimidated by the unfamiliar, you are intrigued by it.

Your best quality:
Your willingness to risk

Always:
Seek out situations where things become obsolete very quickly

Be careful you:
Don’t move on so quickly that you gain a reputation as a dilettante

Your smartest career move:
Any job where you’re paid to build something out of nothing

No wonder I get migraines. That is so me - I am definitely an odd combination of deliberate and impulsive. I found the career stuff interesting because although it's quite accurate, it surprised me a bit. I am never so happy at work as when I'm creating something.

Anyway, you can read about the test here.

Posted by Cassandra at September 30, 2009 06:50 PM

Comments

Me?

Your lead role: EQUALIZER

You begin by asking: 'What’s the right thing to do?'

You are sensitive to how everything in the world is connected, how movement in one part of the world causes everything else to move as well. Alive to this inter-connectedness, you feel compelled to keep everything aligned.

Your best quality: Your innate sense for what is right

Always: Lead with your values

Be careful you: Don’t become too obviously defensive when your values are challenged

Your smartest career move: Any job where you’re paid to speak up for people who’ve been wronged.

Your supporting role: CARETAKER

You begin by asking: 'Is everyone okay?'

You are acutely aware of everyone else’s emotional state, particularly if you sense they are feeling hurt or slighted. You are instinctively inclusive, always looking for ways to draw others into the circle and make them feel wanted, heard, and appreciated.

Your best quality: Your open heart

Always: Be willing to ask people for favors in return

Be careful you: Don’t get so consumed with other people’s feelings that you forget your own

Your smartest career move: Any job where you’re paid either to play on a team or lead the team.

That caretaker thing might be one reason I'm on a baking kick: brownies, peanut brittle (yeah, not really "baking", but who cares?), cookies, peppermint bark.... I have some brownies in the freezer (keeping them fresh for Saturday's Soldiers' Angels Sale-A-Thon event at Patti's) and want to make some more cookies before then, too.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at September 30, 2009 07:42 PM

Click "Start" to take the test here:

I couldn't find the Start button and refused to ask for directions.

*heh*

Advisor/Teacher.

Posted by: BillT at October 1, 2009 05:13 AM

I'm an Equalizer/Advisor. This didn't seem to accurate to me, on me, for some reason. I can definitely see your result being strong, Cass, but I'm not sure that "sensitive to how everything is interconnected" describes me at ALL! I don't get a lot of remarks about how insightful I am in real life!

Although my supporting role said this, and it was probably pretty spot on, about my ideal job:

Any job where you’re paid to be opinionated

I'll buy that. :)

Posted by: airforcewife at October 1, 2009 11:25 AM

That's an insightful comment, afw, ma'am.

Ummmmm -- KtLW says "I'll buy that" a lot, too.

Posted by: BillT at October 1, 2009 12:27 PM

I was listed as an Equalizer/Motivator. I'm not sure, though, that the test's female bias isn't too strong for it to produce accurate results for men at all. A lot of the terms sound like they come out of some of your magazines: e.g., what is "active listening"? Either I'm listening to you or I'm not.

Put another way, I doubt a lot of men are used to the terms; and a lot of the things we see as valuable are left out. Ask a man to come up with a list of qualities important to work, and it'll read somewhat like: leadership, vision, courage, readiness to take responsibility, etc. 'Would you say your best quality is X, Y, Z, or Q?' 'I wouldn't have said any of those. I'm not even sure exactly what you mean by some of them.'

On the other hand, it may be useful in allowing men to know how women might evaluate us as work partners. I would never have thought of myself as a 'motivator,' as motivating others is not normally a major part of my effort. That said, I do try to motivate and inspire any women I work with, to help them feel comfortable and appreciated. My response to men is competitive, though not in unfriendly ways; but I always try to help women achieve their goals.

So maybe that's right, then -- from a woman's perspective, I'm an equalizier and a motivator. From a man's perspective, I'm a rather different kind of figure.

Posted by: Grim at October 1, 2009 12:50 PM

Creator/Advisor
I would say it is quite close on both fronts :o)
I was the happiest when I was doing immigration - create a new content every time and help/advise people on their situations... Corporate litigation pays more but... if only I can marry the two :o)

Posted by: olga at October 1, 2009 03:40 PM

Bring in new immigrants and then sue them?

Posted by: BillT at October 1, 2009 03:46 PM

Ha-ha, Bill :o)
No, take the creativeness of the immigration law and marry it with the corp lit pay :o)

Posted by: olga at October 1, 2009 04:18 PM

"Active listening" is a term you here in education. I think that's the first time I heard it. In fact, the school I subbed at Tuesday and Wednesday had that as the highlighted one of their "Python Practices" ("no put downs" was last week). The principal described it as "listening with your ears, your eyes, your heart and your head". Of course he was talking to Pre-k through 5th grade kids.

Posted by: Miss Ladybug at October 2, 2009 12:17 AM

"Active listening" is the buzzphrase for "paying attention to both the words and body-language of someone who's speaking and, if necessary, interject using the Socratic method to determine what it is they are actually trying to communicate." I first used the phrase in the CAE-Link version of Cockpit Resource Management we taught in back in '88 - '89.

It works, as long as you can translate body language and use your own to re-enforce the communication. It'll work with feral kindergarteners if you can instill the impression that you are capable of killing and eating them, if necessary...

Posted by: BillT at October 2, 2009 07:25 AM

See, that's what I would call "listening." If I'm typing away while you're talking to me, or I don't put down my book, I'm not listening to you. If the speaker were paying attention to my body language, he would realize this and shut up. :)

Posted by: Grim at October 2, 2009 09:42 AM

Yeah, I think that's what we used to call, "paying attention" in my house ;p

In the age of texting (and sexting... and IM-ing and multitasking) apparently we need to invent a buzzphrase for it.

But it's not new really. I remember telling my teenaged son that the next time I saw him walking around the house with his ears plugged with headphones and a Sony Walkman attached to his left hand, I was going to perform a radical earphonectomy on him.

"YANK!!!"

That is really my pet peeve. If the person you're talking to isn't important enough to warrant your full attention, there's something wrong.

Posted by: Cassandra at October 2, 2009 09:52 AM

See, that's what I would call "listening."

Yup, that's what it is.

But using the phrase "active listening" creates the dual illusion in the target audience that

1. you are 'way smarter than they are and

2. you actually know what you're talking about...

Posted by: BillT at October 2, 2009 09:53 AM

It's that darn tinnitus and high-frequency mid-range hearing loss.

Honest.

Posted by: BillT at October 2, 2009 09:56 AM

Exactly. Of course, there's two possibilities for what the "something" is that is wrong. A child shouldn't be allowed to treat a parent that way; whereas an insurance salesman ought to realize that he's just wasting my time (and his, as it happens).

Posted by: Grim at October 2, 2009 10:09 AM

Teacher/Advisor. Yup. I am a teacher of a sort by profession (" . . . and if you keep pulling back on the stick, the houses will get big again. And if you use too much pedal, they'll go around in circles as they get big, too.") and I'm very willing to give free advice that's worth what you pay for it.

Posted by: LittleRed1 at October 2, 2009 04:45 PM

Transcript of cockpit conversation between yours truly and a newbie I was instructing in the fine art of landing an AH-1F with a hydraulics failure:

YT: "If you let the airspeed decay below forty knots on touchdown, the aerodynamic forces will overcome your ability to control the aircraft."

Newbie: "What'll my sight picture be if that starts to happen?"

YT: "Sky - pavement - grass - sky - pavement - grass - sky - pavement - flames."

Posted by: Bill Z.Z. ZydecoT at October 2, 2009 05:36 PM

Advisor/Equalizer. Which actually sums up my job pretty well, really.

Agreed that some of the questions were kind of nonsensical to me--"I wouldn't do any of those things." Still interesting.

Posted by: Sig at October 12, 2009 01:04 AM